IGNORED

Ashley Williams a target?

Keepers Ball

Assuming that we have no injury worries in January I think I'd be fine to see him go. Williams' main concern is going to be playing time in the run in to the Euros. He will not be happy to sit on the bench as cover. If we've got Kalas, Moore, Baker and Wright fit and firing then LJ might find it hard to promise him the minutes he wants.

Having said all that - based on performances so far he's probably above Wright in the pecking order right now, at least in my opinion.

1 minute ago, ExiledAjax said:

Assuming that we have no injury worries in January I think I'd be fine to see him go. Williams' main concern is going to be playing time in the run in to the Euros. He will not be happy to sit on the bench as cover. If we've got Kalas, Moore, Baker and Wright fit and firing then LJ might find it hard to promise him the minutes he wants.

Having said all that - based on performances so far he's probably above Wright in the pecking order right now, at least in my opinion.

he is better than Wright in my opinion

I think we will be back in for 1 or 2 of the centre backs we missed out on. I may be wrong, but didn't LJ or Ashton or someone say we had 2 centre back signings fall through on deadline day? McManus possibly one of them.

I can't see Baker and Wright ever earning new deals.

As for Williams, I would like to keep him on till the summer, but maybe that won't be possible. To have him up till January is fine anyway. Who knows how long he can go on for at his age.

To be fair, he gets one last 12/24 month payday, good luck to him.

Would love to keep him, but it seems like both parties are doing each other a favour here. We are giving him a platform and he is providing much needed experience, so if it all ends and our injured players come back, he will likely find himself a less obvious starter.

Wish him well regardless.

18 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

He’d get in ahead of wright all day long 

32 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I think we will be back in for 1 or 2 of the centre backs we missed out on. I may be wrong, but didn't LJ or Ashton or someone say we had 2 centre back signings fall through on deadline day? McManus possibly one of them.

As for Williams, I would like to keep him on till the summer, but maybe that won't be possible. To have him up till January is fine anyway. Who knows how long he can go on for at his age.

McKenna?  Been injured, but back in contention this weekend.

As it stands, January priority is a striker....there ain’t much left in the kitty unless we “trade”.  We can more than get by til next summer in the CB position with Kalas, Moore, Baker, Williams and Wright.  That assumes the club option on Williams is taken up and Wright with only 6 months left in Jan doesn’t leave.  Vyner could come back too.

57 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Surely not Stephen McManus coming back?!

42 minutes ago, phantom said:

If Anderlecht keep going the way they are there is a very realistic chance Kompany will be sacked by January anyway 

if I read it correctly he has put somebody else in the firing line to concentrate on his performance:dunno: 

No doubt this story / rumour was leaked by his agent putting him in the shop window or trying to force our hand to offer him a longer contract now. No need for us to rush into anything as we have the option to extend his contract to the end of the season.

2 hours ago, JonDolman said:

JD surely Baker on his present form would be a required player ?, I guess "present" is the key word & important to be maintained though.

• Admin
53 minutes ago, Cider_boy said:

Me neither

https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/city-complete-williams-signing/

The six-foot former Swansea City, Everton and Stoke City centre-back will boost Lee Johnson’s defensive options until mid-January with the option to extend his contract.

I honestly missed that.

Looks promising he will stay 

Id imagine we'll let him go if someone wants to offer him 18months on a good wage and we're not willing to match it, having said that we should still enact the contract extension so we can get a small fee for him in Jan.

Hes 35 and i can't see us giving him a deal until hes 37 just on the premise we're looking to go up/challenge at the top and i can't see him being any more than squad here next season.

9 hours ago, Davefevs said:

McKenna?  Been injured, but back in contention this weekend.

As it stands, January priority is a striker....there ain’t much left in the kitty unless we “trade”.  We can more than get by til next summer in the CB position with Kalas, Moore, Baker, Williams and Wright.  That assumes the club option on Williams is taken up and Wright with only 6 months left in Jan doesn’t leave.  Vyner could come back too.

9 hours ago, Flint says No said:

Surely not Stephen McManus coming back?!

I keep calling McKenna McManus for some reason!?

8 hours ago, bpexile said:

JD surely Baker on his present form would be a required player ?, I guess "present" is the key word & important to be maintained though.

I think baker will be here till the summer and possibly sold then

I'd definitely try to keep him till the end of the season. With our luck with injury he'll be needed plus the experience he brings. When Kalas comes back and if Williams drops to the bench I know who I'd rather have come on if we're trying to hold out in a game. 

Keep Williams until the end of the season, which given the club’s option seems likely, while try to sell Wright in January before he is out of contract.

In terms of the centre half pecking order, ignoring injuries, Kalas and Williams are at the top, followed by Baker, then Moore, followed by Wright. As for Vyner, he is a bit younger but there is little evidence that he can make it at centre back at this level. And as an emergency, I could even see Tommy Rowe play at centre back. He is certainly good enough a player.

Archived