IGNORED

Best Away Day Experience

Rich VFR

Keen to hear people's views on the best away day in the league. Not been to an away game with City and hoping to this season and beyond.  

A few of us looking to go, not big drinkers but looking for options based on atmosphere, travel/parking, cost and general experience. 

Thanks in advance ?

1 minute ago, Rich VFR said:

Keen to hear people's views on the best away day in the league. Not been to an away game with City and hoping to this season and beyond.  

A few of us looking to go, not big drinkers but looking for options based on atmosphere, travel/parking and general experience. 

Thanks in advance ?

Millwall is my favourite

Fulham has everything. 

Great pub crawl, cruise if you fancy it, nice stroll through the park and decent view. Friendly too.

most trips have their appeal though, just go, away days are much better than home games generally.

I’ve always enjoyed trips to London to watch City - there’s usually a decent away turnout and there are so many options for pubs. 

I know they’re not currently in our league, but one of my favourite away trips ever was at Newcastle - I really liked it as a city to spend the weekend in, the people were friendly and the ground is right in the centre. 

I’d try them all if I could. Each has their own charm I’d imagine, I’ve always heard good things about Deepdale, I personally like going to Elland Road (Leeds is a nice city and the atmosphere in the ground can be good), Fulham is good too. I don’t tend to do the whole match day experience because of travel but I’ve enjoyed visiting other grounds around the country

50 minutes ago, Rich VFR said:

We were looking at that... and Cardiff but a few were unsure of the atmosphere before/after the game. 

Millwall is great. That's me on the far left wearing a shirt I thought would help me blend into the crowd. After the pic it was off to our seats in the main stand full of home fans where I received much good natured "banter".  Have been back a few times when I've needed a football fix and have always loved the atmosphere. Great little café on the way in opposite the car park.Millwall.thumb.jpg.719cf839d8a450cd721b4d7ad7642aae.jpg

Quite enjoyed Millwall away last 2 seasons- my mate who took last season asked me last week when our trip there this season is. Definitely fairly unique in some respects in modern English football.

Quite enjoyed Charlton when I was there in 2016. Away pub was right bear the ground and I think they played Wurzels and were reasonably City themed pregame- that was quite nice! That was when LJ was announced as manager IIRC.

Looking at doing Leeds this season.

Hear plenty of good stuff about Fulham away, some of it listed in this thread.

20 minutes ago, BigTone said:

Millwall is great. That's me on the far left wearing a shirt I thought would help me blend into the crowd. After the pic it was off to our seats in the main stand full of home fans where I received much good natured "banter".  Have been back a few times when I've needed a football fix and have always loved the atmosphere. Great little café on the way in opposite the car park.Millwall.thumb.jpg.719cf839d8a450cd721b4d7ad7642aae.jpg

That’s not a shirt. It’s your granny’s curtains 

In recent years Burton was a great experience. Although it may sound strange it’s a modern old fashioned ground. It has the added benefit of having separate areas for those away supporters who want to stand and those who want to sit. No agro with home supporters and friendly staff in the ground with a selection of pubs selling good beer nearby. What more could you want? You never know, City may play them in the cup 

1 hour ago, Rich VFR said:

We were looking at that... and Cardiff but a few were unsure of the atmosphere before/after the game. 

Cardiff is really sanitised these days. Still a good atmosphere but nothing like it used to be. 

Only real issue is if you fancied a drink (and have an English driving licence) then you won’t really get served anywhere in the centre. 

12 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

In recent years Burton was a great experience. Although it may sound strange it’s a modern old fashioned ground. It has the added benefit of having separate areas for those away supporters who want to stand and those who want to sit. No agro with home supporters and friendly staff in the ground with a selection of pubs selling good beer nearby. What more could you want? You never know, City may play them in the cup 

Hopefully...I only live a mile away from Pirelli Stadium.

24 minutes ago, Hare Island said:

Boro is a good one - road trip up north, beer and a parmo before the game, pub crawl in Redcar after.

'pub crawl in Redcar...' said no one, ever.

From urban dictionary:
"unforgettable night life where local customs dictate you drink yourself stupid and bottle anyone looking at you/ or anyone thought to be looking at you/ anyone. and that you find yourself an overweight middle aged woman, who will do anything you want for a cider and back, as long as you dont mind the smell of stale cigarettes and six illegitimate children in the next room."

That said, I have family in the North East and always enjoy a visit to the Smoggies. 

1 hour ago, BigTone said:

Big Tone I don’t get why they call you Big Tone? ?

Archived