IGNORED

Best Away Day Experience

Rich VFR

1 hour ago, City Rocker said:

Fulham definitely for me. My favourite area of London, a wonderful stadium on the Thames, friendly home fans, and even though the away end is huge we always seem to kick up a racket.

Last time there we took a pilgrimage up to the iconic 430 Kings Road, Chelsea (if you know, you know). 

Rude boy and a pistols fan ....two different types of music but both utter class ....

As a few have said any away day is better than any home game so you can’t fail by choosing any fixture. 

The atmosphere, camaraderie and laughs at an away day are the best things about football. 

The ‘best’ therefore can just be who you are with: my faves have been Reading away when we won 0 - 2 under GJ and Newcastle away recently. 

Would agree that London away games are good!

Enjoy whichever you choose!

2 hours ago, BigTone said:

Millwall is great. That's me on the far left wearing a shirt I thought would help me blend into the crowd. After the pic it was off to our seats in the main stand full of home fans where I received much good natured "banter".  Have been back a few times when I've needed a football fix and have always loved the atmosphere. Great little café on the way in opposite the car park.Millwall.thumb.jpg.719cf839d8a450cd721b4d7ad7642aae.jpg

You are big then Tone!

1 hour ago, Robin Goch said:

Cardiff is really sanitised these days. Still a good atmosphere but nothing like it used to be. 

Only real issue is if you fancied a drink (and have an English driving licence) then you won’t really get served anywhere in the centre. 

I’ve never had a problem getting a pre match drink in Cardiff - even when they tried to force us all into that pub a few seasons ago (with the ensuing chaos) me and three mates just told the police we were going elsewhere - they tried to stop us but eventually realised they had to let us go, with the timeless classic (!) “well we can’t ensure your safety then..” - we went to two or three city centre pubs and got served with no problems ...

21 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I’ve never had a problem getting a pre match drink in Cardiff - even when they tried to force us all into that pub a few seasons ago (with the ensuing chaos) me and three mates just told the police we were going elsewhere - they tried to stop us but eventually realised they had to let us go, with the timeless classic (!) “well we can’t ensure your safety then..” - we went to two or three city centre pubs and got served with no problems ...

That’s good to hear, which places were they? Last few years I’ve only been able to get in places due to a Welsh driving licence.

4 hours ago, BigTone said:

Millwall is my favourite

Yes i went there for first time alone in May, it gets the addreline running especially when we walk out and then congregate on the platform. 

Prenton park also good when the kids ask you for a "quid mate" to look after your car

24 minutes ago, MattWSM said:

Yes i went there for first time alone in May, it gets the addreline running especially when we walk out and then congregate on the platform. 

Prenton park also good when the kids ask you for a "quid mate" to look after your car

There are no "plastics" at Millwall. It is a proper community club. 

My best experience? Rushden when we played them 2003/04 season.

Driving up to the ground, two uniformed Stewards approached and asked if I was staying, or just dropping someone off. They thjen directed me to a large, free car park. This was lined tarmac, not loose gravel. Those Stewards stayed there throughout the game to ensure cars aren't stolen or vandalised.

Walking up to the ground, the programme sellers and turnstile operators all said please & thank you.

Inside the food & drink was all reasonably priced and te staff were interested in serving you.

Further on in and showing a Steward my ticket, instead of saying "Up there mate", he'd direct people to their seats. After the game as we walked out we were able to chat & joke with them about how the game had gone.

Back in the car park, those Stewards were now directing traffic to ensure everyone got away promptly.

10 hours ago, Mike Hunt-Hertz said:

Halifax Town. Only went once, in 1984.

On the train, bladdered, nice beer, got on the pitch, won 2-1, wrong train back, and got home to find that I had a job...nirvana.

Used to like Reading away, before they moved to the Tupperwarium.

And Fulham has always been fun.

Was at same game with ronnie Thomas  went in wrong end and got marched around  pitch  to away end ?.84 fxck me getting old

1 hour ago, basshead said:

Was at same game with ronnie Thomas  went in wrong end and got marched around  pitch  to away end ?.84 fxck me getting old

Nice one! I remember the grassy "terrace" at one end, and the speedway track. We were under some shitty cover on the side. It`s a tidy ground these days, mind.

4 hours ago, 22A said:

My best experience? Rushden when we played them 2003/04 season.

Driving up to the ground, two uniformed Stewards approached and asked if I was staying, or just dropping someone off. They thjen directed me to a large, free car park. This was lined tarmac, not loose gravel. Those Stewards stayed there throughout the game to ensure cars aren't stolen or vandalised.

Walking up to the ground, the programme sellers and turnstile operators all said please & thank you.

Inside the food & drink was all reasonably priced and te staff were interested in serving you.

Further on in and showing a Steward my ticket, instead of saying "Up there mate", he'd direct people to their seats. After the game as we walked out we were able to chat & joke with them about how the game had gone.

Back in the car park, those Stewards were now directing traffic to ensure everyone got away promptly.

Now it`s been totally demolished, I believe.?

On 05/10/2019 at 17:33, Robin Goch said:

Cardiff is really sanitised these days. Still a good atmosphere but nothing like it used to be. 

Only real issue is if you fancied a drink (and have an English driving licence) then you won’t really get served anywhere in the centre. 

That's utter nonsense!  Firstly, I'm guessing you look rather young, hence why you were asked for ID, right? Other than that, you will never get asked for your driving licence in a pub anywhere in Cardiff in order to have a beer. The only situation that might happen would be if you were trying to gain access to a "home bar", if the door staff were unsure about you they might ask for some kind of ID verification ... if you produced a driving licence with a west country address on it then you're not likely to get in - makes sense, right?

But with a plethora of pubs in the city centre you are spoiled for choice and will not have any problem getting served.

5 hours ago, Latcher said:

That's utter nonsense!  Firstly, I'm guessing you look rather young, hence why you were asked for ID, right? Other than that, you will never get asked for your driving licence in a pub anywhere in Cardiff in order to have a beer. The only situation that might happen would be if you were trying to gain access to a "home bar", if the door staff were unsure about you they might ask for some kind of ID verification ... if you produced a driving licence with a west country address on it then you're not likely to get in - makes sense, right?

But with a plethora of pubs in the city centre you are spoiled for choice and will not have any problem getting served.

Well it’s not utter nonsense is it if it’s happened? From my experience with each time I’ve gone there EVERY pub around the centre had the same policy. I’m speaking from my experience, not yours old man.

42 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Who else had a grass bank terrace?

Im thinking crystal palace?

Didn’t Halifax at The Shay, before it was rebuilt, have a grass / earth mound at one end?

Archived