IGNORED

Best Away Day Experience

Rich VFR

On 05/10/2019 at 23:21, ralphindevon said:

Eastville, can't remember who plays there but with the sand from the greyhound track blowing in your face, the M32 behind you and a burnt down stand to the left it's an all round memorable experience.

Same here, when I was a young’un all the City fans in Southmead would walk down Muller rd together, and back up after the game;with all the sags from Filton and Lockleaze giving us a wide berth.When I was a few years older we would meet with all the  City lads in old market and walk down Stapleton rd  (singing,singing City are the champions).A few years on and we would meet up in one of their pubs,The Old Fox being one.You can’t beat the feeling you get before a proper local derby,the nerves,the anticipation and either elation or despair,having said that,I hope we never ever play them again.

25 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

J r ewing or j r hartley the fly fishing guru.

Who was the best?

I always thought Poo Smellin was great along with Fobby & Flam. Mind you Piss Smelly could be a demon also. Ray Krebbs was always mooooing the lawn according to Donna.

55 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

That pub the old fox been gone 15 years now or more?

Opposite side of the road ro eastville by the bridge if im thinking of the right pub.

By the bridge that took you over the road.

Doesn’t time fly?,Fox road I believe.

On 05/10/2019 at 10:33, Robin Goch said:

Cardiff is really sanitised these days. Still a good atmosphere but nothing like it used to be. 

Only real issue is if you fancied a drink (and have an English driving licence) then you won’t really get served anywhere in the centre. 

Hey? Thousands of people are out drinking in Cardiff city centre on a match day completely oblivious to the fact a game is even on. You won’t need to show your driving licence. You can go and drink anywhere you want, possibly not with colours displayed but that applies to all fans, Cardiff too. Maybe try the bay, lots of bars and a short cab to the ground, which I agree is very sanitised these days.

On 05/10/2019 at 12:44, Robin Goch said:

That’s good to hear, which places were they? Last few years I’ve only been able to get in places due to a Welsh driving licence.

Apologies mate, just realised I haven’t replied to your question. I’m not sure of the establishments’ names I’m afraid, ‘twas a while ago ... but one was a traditional old boozer in a street opposite their castle and the other two were more of the modern wine bar type places in the pedestrianised bit - not sure that helps!

On ‎05‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 00:59, Mr Popodopolous said:

Quite enjoyed Charlton when I was there in 2016. Away pub was right bear the ground and I think they played Wurzels and were reasonably City themed pregame- that was quite nice! That was when LJ was announced as manager IIRC.

Hey! I was at that game too! I had come over to see 3 games that year... Leads away, Brum at home, and Charlton away was my last day in the UK. Lost to Leeds, drew with Brum, and finally got to see a win before I had to fly home. We drank at the Rose of Denmark, and after the game we were hustled off quite quickly to the train station.

32 minutes ago, New2City said:

Hey! I was at that game too! I had come over to see 3 games that year... Leads away, Brum at home, and Charlton away was my last day in the UK. Lost to Leeds, drew with Brum, and finally got to see a win before I had to fly home. We drank at the Rose of Denmark, and after the game we were hustled off quite quickly to the train station.

Was a good day, quite liked the away end too.

Seem to recall quite a large police presence, especially a huge line down the middle of a road.

I avoided any particularly meaningful search by stewards but my mate didn't- must look fairy sensible, me that is- not him. :laugh:

Rose of Denmark, that was the name of the pub near the ground wasn't it?

Managed to avoid the train station thing, me and mate were drinking in and around Greenwich post game- then again we came fairly local.

I feel like it was close to the train station and the ground... it's been almost 4 years, and frankly all of it just blends together at this point. But I do recall it being a very good day. Tomlin with the goal; my friend's dad had bet Tomlin to be first and last to score, so with the winnings we had a nice dinner near Paddington :) 

I've got a ticket to come over again at the end of January, so will be going to Reading away (barring any FA cup interference) and QPR away, two grounds I haven't been to yet.

On 05/10/2019 at 09:59, Mr Popodopolous said:

Quite enjoyed Millwall away last 2 seasons- my mate who took last season asked me last week when our trip there this season is. Definitely fairly unique in some respects in modern English football.

Quite enjoyed Charlton when I was there in 2016. Away pub was right bear the ground and I think they played Wurzels and were reasonably City themed pregame- that was quite nice! That was when LJ was announced as manager IIRC.

Looking at doing Leeds this season.

Hear plenty of good stuff about Fulham away, some of it listed in this thread.

I was at that Charlton game too - nice ground and a good atmosphere in the away end that day (and in that pub beforehand!) 

Leeds is a decent away trip and a good place to spend a weekend. Haven’t been there for quite while (the defeat there when Nicky Hunt plummeted to new depths with an even more staggeringly poor performance than normal). 

1. Leeds Elland Road - best atmosphere by far at a Championship ground

2. Fulham Craven Cottage - as others have posted, always a great day out

3. Millwall Old Den - now New Den - just for the adrenalin rush (too many stories to tell on here). 

Others which are always a good day out, Notts Forest,  Charlton and Derby (Ashby-de-la-Zouch on the way back for those that remember). Good memories.

Have to admit home games are becoming a bit boring for me, but that’s progress.

2 hours ago, shelts said:

I have to say I used to rather enjoy The Vetch . Remember us winning by the odd five with a Super Bob hat trick and being penned in a side road for ages . Newman and honour scored the other goals . My birthday in all .  

Cracking night. Stopped off in Cowbridge, for a celebratory scoop or six. Bob Taylor...what a bloke.

On 05/10/2019 at 10:32, Lez said:

Charlton. Old school stadium with wooden away end mixed in with the working class housing. Proper back in time visit and my favourite away day....millwall similar but in industrial area not on Same level for me.

I remember seeing City play there just after they'd moved back to the Valley. The massive side terrace (unused) was still there. Must have been terrifying stood at the top of that in the old days when it was full up. Saw City play Charlton at Selhurst Park and Upton park as well when they were exiled. Good to see what they've achieved coming back from the brink of extinction. Bit like us really. Hopefully my lad and me will go Boxing day if we're 'allowed' by the Mrs and can get there ?

One game that sticks in my mind was Southend away in 1991. Stayed the weekend like many others and there were City everywhere. Hundreds of us drinking and playing with a football outside a hotel after the match until the police grabbed the ball. Great weekend! Now i go with my 12 year old son look at things a bit differently. Certainly couldn't cope with downing seven or eight pints before a game.

20 minutes ago, RedReynard said:

I remember seeing City play there just after they'd moved back to the Valley. The massive side terrace (unused) was still there. Must have been terrifying stood at the top of that in the old days when it was full up. Saw City play Charlton at Selhurst Park and Upton park as well when they were exiled. Good to see what they've achieved coming back from the brink of extinction. Bit like us really. Hopefully my lad and me will go Boxing day if we're 'allowed' by the Mrs and can get there ?

Charlton are on my hate list regrettably. My Son has just married a Charlton girl. My family all come from Penge so are Palace fans. When she found this out she called them all scum (not in a banter type manner) without ever meeting them. Will never forgive the slag for that. My parents and grandparents are far from being labelled that. Made my feelings known and probably why I didn't get an invite to the wedding. Do I care ? Not one feckin iota !! May she crawl back under her rock and die a slow death.

On 07/10/2019 at 17:50, Montpelierblue said:

Hey? Thousands of people are out drinking in Cardiff city centre on a match day completely oblivious to the fact a game is even on. You won’t need to show your driving licence. You can go and drink anywhere you want, possibly not with colours displayed but that applies to all fans, Cardiff too. Maybe try the bay, lots of bars and a short cab to the ground, which I agree is very sanitised these days.

When Wales played Austria in The World cup qualifiers couple years ago saw an Austrian fan dressed in Lederhosen refused entry to a Pub in the centre. The door staff didn't even ask to see his driving licence!!! ?

9 hours ago, RedReynard said:

One game that sticks in my mind was Southend away in 1991. Stayed the weekend like many others and there were City everywhere. Hundreds of us drinking and playing with a football outside a hotel after the match until the police grabbed the ball. Great weekend! Now i go with my 12 year old son look at things a bit differently. Certainly couldn't cope with downing seven or eight pints before a game.

We went to that one. Slept in the back of a van, under a union flag...great day.

Tough question........many away days over several decades but one stadium springs to mind Ninian Park. Probably went there a dozen times and always loved it. 

The most hostile atmosphere,  intense rivalry. Those games were like a war zone. Coins, and bottles of piss getting thrown thru and over the segregation netting. What a shit hole, what a place!

The best one was when Scott Murray scored the third goal down the far end and ran back towards us City fans with his hand cupped to his ear........:rofl2br:

That was a brilliant day.

Archived