IGNORED

Korey update

Jerseybean

While it's great Korey is getting closer to full fitness, and he is a decent Championship player, I'm not sure he'll necessarily have the impact coming back that some imagine.

I'll probably be slated, but while Korey was our best CM in League 1 and our first season up, the squad has moved on a long way since then and Korey has spent the bulk of that time injured which will have hampered his own development.

With all of that said, even a Korey that isn't at his best would be a positive addition, even if that's purely for the extra option and the added ability to rotate and rest players.

3 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Korey and Nagy central midfield releasing Josh Brownhill int a more forward role on the right sounds like a great combo.  He will take a while to become fully match fit though.

That really is an exciting prospect + the option to include KP’s creativity! 

• Admin
2 minutes ago, formerly known as ivan said:

As great as this is, surely we will be in March/April before we see him at full fitness and able to get around the pitch like we are used to seeing?

Reading interview from earlier he sounds like he's going to be ready this year

Nagy on the other hand......

Nagy Korey

Brownhill Palmer Eliasson

Weimann

Barrier, fluidity, flexibility- yet also incorporates Eliasson and the chance for a productive left hand partnership.

Incidentally, as Brownhill can drop back in- all those injuries, may mean Smith needs to play a bit differently- a 3 would help to accommodate this, or Smith and Nagy, with Brownhill easily able to drop back in as and when.

May need to rotate Korey and Massengo in- one due to injuries, one due to age, but that would be a very good foundation- O'Dowda another.

8 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Nagy Korey

Brownhill Palmer Eliasson

Weimann

Barrier, fluidity, flexibility- yet also incorporates Eliasson and the chance for a productive left hand partnership.

Incidentally, as Brownhill can drop back in- all those injuries, may mean Smith needs to play a bit differently- a 3 would help to accommodate this, or Smith and Nagy, with Brownhill easily able to drop back in as and when.

Have we sold Massengo? ;)

13 minutes ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

Have we sold Massengo? ;)

Haha, our next big profit I reckon...

Spoilt for choice when all back though, aren't we! Massengo or Smith first choice alongside Nagy? Fears of Massengo burnout, but also Smith's injuries mean he may not be the same- rotate the 2 IMO.

Could even if we want to go full on flooding the centre try something like:

Smith Nagy Massengo

Palmer Brownhill

Weimann

So flexible- truly a 4-4-1-1-0 or a 4-6-0 in some ways- yes a lack of coverage out wide, but Brownhill can help on the right, Weimann I suppose at times can drift left but unsure how much he would truly be able to help defensively- intense work rate could buy time I guess.

23 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Spoke with Korey last Wednesday and he himself said he’s still got a fair bit of training to do to get proper fit...weeks, not in contention just yet.

Few games in the U23's too. Hope they don't rush him back. I'd be tempted to take it very slowly after last time.

If I recall correctly, the last time Korey came back it was unexpected - think it was Sheff Utd (A) and he was supposed to still be a few weeks away.

I don’t go with the theory of easing him in - the current injury wasn’t related to the prior one in any way so speed of return has nothing to do with the second period out.

From the videos posted, he looks to be progressing very well. The speed of his move from training - match last time indicates a high level of natural fitness reducing time to get up to speed.

We also know we need CM reinforcement currently of exactly in the Korey mould.

With that in mind, I’m making a bold prediction - I think he’ll be in the 18 on Friday. 

14 hours ago, JamesBCFC said:

While it's great Korey is getting closer to full fitness, and he is a decent Championship player, I'm not sure he'll necessarily have the impact coming back that some imagine.

I'll probably be slated, but while Korey was our best CM in League 1 and our first season up, the squad has moved on a long way since then and Korey has spent the bulk of that time injured which will have hampered his own development.

With all of that said, even a Korey that isn't at his best would be a positive addition, even if that's purely for the extra option and the added ability to rotate and rest players.

The midfield hasn't. We're playing a knackered 18 year old and a lower leagues journeyman most weeks. 

1 hour ago, Silvio Dante said:

If I recall correctly, the last time Korey came back it was unexpected - think it was Sheff Utd (A) and he was supposed to still be a few weeks away.

I don’t go with the theory of easing him in - the current injury wasn’t related to the prior one in any way so speed of return has nothing to do with the second period out.

From the videos posted, he looks to be progressing very well. The speed of his move from training - match last time indicates a high level of natural fitness reducing time to get up to speed.

With that in mind, I’m making a bold prediction - I think he’ll be in the 18 on Friday. 

Admire your optimism with him being in the squad for Friday but think it might be a bit too soon. 

I don’t think he is far away at all though. Maybe 2 weeks of full training and he’ll be knocking on the door.

Buzzing for him to be back. We don’t have another CM like him, as good as they all are in their own right.

2 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

Whether the injuries were related or not, to expect someone who has been out so long, to step back into the first team is massively optimistic, and a big gamble. He has only been on grass a relatively short time, and nowhere near match fit. 
I would expect 45 mins for the U23s and then wait to see any reaction, even before thinking of a full 90 with the U23 team. From May until now is longer than the summer break, he needs to build up match fitness and I would guess it would be almost like a second pre-season.

49 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Whether the injuries were related or not, to expect someone who has been out so long, to step back into the first team is massively optimistic, and a big gamble. He has only been on grass a relatively short time, and nowhere near match fit. 
I would expect 45 mins for the U23s and then wait to see any reaction, even before thinking of a full 90 with the U23 team. From May until now is longer than the summer break, he needs to build up match fitness and I would guess it would be almost like a second pre-season.

Absolutely. Also need to bear in  mind that if he has another lengthy injury, then his time here is more than likely done.

Didn't he sign a contract extension whilst injured to take him to the end of this season?

Yes we need reinforcements in midfield, but we need him to come back when he is 100% ready. I would think he will be thinking the same too.

6 minutes ago, redsquirrel said:

id rather risk nagy if we have to risk anyone. wont really miss him if he gets done for again and not particularly bothered if he does whereas id be gutted to see KS get crocked again

Personally I think Nagy is a class above Korey off of the couple of times I’ve seen him. 

That being said I’d rather both of them came back and were fully fit!

Really hope we offer Korey a new deal. Obviously it's a bit of a gamble with his recent injury history. 

I know we have 3 quality ones now with Morrell out on loan too. But it would not completely surprise me if we sold one or two of them in the summer, and then we'd regret not keeping Korey on.

37 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Really hope we offer Korey a new deal. Obviously it's a bit of a gamble with his recent injury history. 

I know we have 3 quality ones now with Morrell out on loan too. But it would not completely surprise me if we sold one or two of them in the summer, and then we'd regret not keeping Korey on.

If we don’t go up then Brownhill and Massengo will almost certainly leave for premier league clubs, so it’s imperative we keep Korey around imo

Archived