IGNORED

Ratings from today

old_eastender

Bentley - 9 - Had already made a couple of very smart saves, but the save from Beyo 10 mins from the end was fantastic. Clean handling and mostly good distribution throughout too.

Pereira - 6 - Defensively did ok, but no link up play with Elliasson.

Williams/Moore - 8 - both made a couple of mistakes, but on the whole rocks in the centre of defence.

Rowe - 7 - Decent defensive performance, despite early yellow curtailing him a bit, also offered support to COD.

Brownhill - 7 - Busy performance, mainly in our own half.

Massengo - 8 - Really good again, broke up play often, carried the ball away hardly ever gave away possession.

Eliasson - 6 - Great cross for the goal, couple of other good early crosses too, but just didn't see enough of the ball.

COD - 4 - Has loads of the ball first half playing left flank and got nowhere with it, second half played central and was totally ineffective - should have been subbed for Palmer way earlier.

Weimann - 7 - Ran himself into the ground up front.

Fammy - 7 - Worth that for the goal, a few other bits of good play too amongst the usual comedy control at times.

Hunt - 7 - Made a difference when he came on, sensible play in added on time to help see the game out.

Semenyo - 1 - Really poor, at 19 should have bundles of energy but was just strolling around, twice in 30 seconds simple passes were played into him and he just stood still waiting for ball to arrive which was predictably nicked by Reading defender stepping in. Looked almost disinterested.

Palmer - 7 - Made a difference in the 10 mins he was so. Missed a great chance to make it 2, but his composure on the ball finally enabled us to get some game time in and around their box.

Bentley was my MOTM. We would have lost that game without his 2 great saves. Moore was a close second.

Weakest links were Eliasson and O’Dowds, with Semenyo’s cameo joining them as someone whose contribution was minimal compared to most of the rest of the team.

And am I the only who is worried about how Brownhill goes “missing” for long periods of the game? He frequently left Massengo with both numbers and a huge amount of space to cover.

11 minutes ago, Dr Balls said:

Bentley was my MOTM. We would have lost that game without his 2 great saves. Moore was a close second.

Weakest links were Eliasson and O’Dowds, with Semenyo’s cameo joining them as someone whose contribution was minimal compared to most of the rest of the team.

And am I the only who is worried about how Brownhill goes “missing” for long periods of the game? He frequently left Massengo with both numbers and a huge amount of space to cover.

Been really impressed with Moore this season, think we was excellent again today. 

Starting to worry about Brownhill. A number of times today he attempted to drive forward and took a heavy touch and lost the ball. Has seemed to have lost his cutting edge...maybe the extra pressure of captaincy is limiting him a little and not letting him play with as much freedom as he wants. I think having Nagy back will help him a lot.

4 minutes ago, winsaw said:

The OP is being hard on COD he was a 7 today, that was his best game for us in a long time, he actually looked like he wanted it today, played well out of position 2nd half lots of energy, 

Thought he was 7 second half and 5 first half. I have noticed when he plays left wing he needs someone like Dasilva behind him. He needs feeding the ball higher up the pitch. Rowe offered so little support.

20 minutes ago, Dr Balls said:

Not worried about Brownhill tbh. He gets through a huge amount of work and with no cover I think tiredness caught up with him. Nothing to do with fitness, just sharpness and a heavy touch is a good indicator of that.

5 minutes ago, winsaw said:

The OP is being hard on COD he was a 7 today, that was his best game for us in a long time, he actually looked like he wanted it today, played well out of position 2nd half lots of energy, 

I'd agree with you. Johnson said in his pre-match interview that he wanted our wingers to be direct and that is how O'Dowda played in the first half. It's rare these days to see him really getting at a defender but he showed glimpses of that. 

Semenyo was definitely slow on the uptake at times when he could have won the ball had he chased and pressed. I think a 1 is harsh since I would usually reserve a 1 for a disastrous full game strewn with errors that have directly led to goals. That being said, he was lucky to get away with his silly attempt at a flick at the very end.

He is worth persevering with but really needs to step up his game to show why he was so highly rated last season.

Without going through all ratings (because I genuinely don’t believe anyone can give an accurate rating on 22+ players on one viewing as you miss so much of the off the ball stuff), the MOM for me was Taylor Moore. First time really in a 4 and not a 5 and showed he can cope excellently. Undoubtedly helped by Williams (other than the first half where they went for same header), but a top notch performance.

Close second to Bentley - did all he needed to do and two great saves. Moore edges it for me as his work needed was that much higher and he did it all to a high standard.

1 minute ago, Sturny said:

Harsh but he didn’t have a fantastic game tbh 

probably one of his weakest performances 

If that is going to be one of his weakest performances then I am delighted! What a player we have. 

Barely gave the ball away. 

Three goal attempts

Recovered ball after ball all game. Number one on the pitch for that 

18 minutes ago, Sturny said:

Harsh but he didn’t have a fantastic game tbh 

probably one of his weakest performances 

I don’t think it was, not in the first half anyway. He did seem to fade quite badly in the second half,  but rallied and came good again, and took a few heavy challenges as usual. In the first half he was everywhere, always looking for the ball and spraying it around to get others involved. If he wasn’t playing it would have been a very poor game from a possession point of view.

I don’t think it was so much him off his game as others not on theirs.

33 minutes ago, Newquay-Red said:

Semenyo was definitely slow on the uptake at times when he could have won the ball had he chased and pressed. I think a 1 is harsh since I would usually reserve a 1 for a disastrous full game strewn with errors that have directly led to goals. That being said, he was lucky to get away with his silly attempt at a flick at the very end.

He is worth persevering with but really needs to step up his game to show why he was so highly rated last season.

If you go down the route that rugby does and call subs ‘Impact Players’, then you got to ask if Semenyo made an impact and positively affected the game. I say not which is disappointing and concerning as it’s not a ‘one off’ from him either.

Yes I know he is young but he was called back from a successful loan spell early last season, I think he would have been better off staying there and taking another loan again this season. But then again if it hadn’t been for a Afobe’s injury that’s what would probably have happened, or at the least he would have been here but not getting many match minutes.

13 minutes ago, Bernard Lerring said:

4 seems very high.

Semenyo was awful today. As mentioned above he looked disinterested which for someone trying to break into a team is just baffling 

Have to think Taylor would have been far more effective today 

I think they definitely sent the wrong player to Oxford. It would've really benefited Semenyo playing a year/6months at league one, rather than expecting him to fit in to the championship straight from league two. We would've also been better off at the moment with Taylor's experience etc.

Nobody is going agree on each rating, but I think Brownhill was poor and is someone who needs a rest. Massengo was also below his usual standard. I think both are continually being played due to the injury problems, with no one else to bring into the team. As for Semenyo, the question must be “why”? He may have talent and he may be a good player at some stage, but that’s not now. If LJ keeps playing him when he’s not ready all it will do is destroy his confidence and set back his development 

Just watched Preston Semenyo highlights from last season just to remind myself how good he can be! Was very poor today. Not sure if he is lacking confidence in front of home crowd. Seems better away from home so far in his career.

The criticism of Semenyo is getting a bit boring. We have, what we have. That includes giving a youngster lots of minutes as a forward in the Championship due to injuries and the fact he is a decent young player. 

Brownhill did a very decent job today, however HNM had an excellent game. We adjusted after Reading found a way to shackle us after we pretty much dominated the first half hour.

We won. We have had the heart of our side ripped out. Just a reminder no Kalas, Desilva Afobe, Nagy or Smith and we are sixth, two points off top spot, waiting for some players to come back. Some people need a beer and to stop bitching!

10 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

The criticism of Semenyo is getting a bit boring. We have, what we have. That includes giving a youngster lots of minutes as a forward in the Championship due to injuries and the fact he is a decent young player. 

Brownhill did a very decent job today, however HNM had an excellent game. We adjusted after Reading found a way to shackle us after we pretty much dominated the first half hour.

We won. We have had the heart of our side ripped out. Just a reminder no Kalas, Desilva Afobe, Nagy or Smith and we are sixth, two points off top spot, waiting for some players to come back. Some people need a beer and to stop bitching!

Is this not a forum for fans opinions ?

1 hour ago, DownendRed97 said:

Been really impressed with Moore this season, think we was excellent again today. 

Starting to worry about Brownhill. A number of times today he attempted to drive forward and took a heavy touch and lost the ball. Has seemed to have lost his cutting edge...maybe the extra pressure of captaincy is limiting him a little and not letting him play with as much freedom as he wants. I think having Nagy back will help him a lot.

Only one captain out there and thats Williams 

Archived