IGNORED

Who makes way when Nagy and Kalas return from Injury?

bcfcnick

LJ will have a difficult decision to make when Adam Nagy is back.  He oozed class and covered the back four whilst also linking with attack - a genine box to box player who reads the game so well.  But can you drop a young, enthusiastic classy player like Massengo who has contributed towards a ten game winning run?  Or do you drop the club captain?  I suspect Massengo will be 'rested' and maybe that's right given his youth and we don't want to risk burn out.

At some stage, however, I'd love to see a Massengo and Nagy midfield partnership.   It could be a great combination. 

There's a similar situation when Kalas comes back, it would be a pity to see Taylor Moore dropped and both Baker and Williams have also excelled. It's good to have competition and they will all play a part during the rest of the season but there are some tricky selection decisions ahead.

Rotate the 3 midfielders and rotate the 4 centre backs. Do the same with Rowe/Dasilva (when back) and Perreira/Hunt. 

Games come thick and fast and we can genuinely change 2 to 4 players a game without weakening - we have failed previously with too many squad players the manager did not trust to come in - this league calls out for rotation.

22 minutes ago, bcfcnick said:

LJ will have a difficult decision to make when Adam Nagy is back.  He oozed class and covered the back four whilst also linking with attack - a genine box to box player who reads the game so well.  But can you drop a young, enthusiastic classy player like Massengo who has contributed towards a ten game winning run?  Or do you drop the club captain?  I suspect Massengo will be 'rested' and maybe that's right given his youth and we don't want to risk burn out.

At some stage, however, I'd love to see a Massengo and Nagy midfield partnership.   It could be a great combination. 

There's a similar situation when Kalas comes back, it would be a pity to see Taylor Moore dropped and both Baker and Williams have also excelled. It's good to have competition and they will all play a part during the rest of the season but there are some tricky selection decisions ahead.

The thing is with Taylor and Williams they are playing regularly together and gaining a good understanding. Bringing Kalas straight back might cause a problem. He might have wait for a cup tie or injury. That said Kalas is a top defender so I'll leave it to LJ. Phew!

We can’t have a mindset of a first XI. We have lacked depth ever since we got promoted. Now is the first time we have 18 players that can all play and not really weaken a position. We can also play 4 different formations pretty well. 

It will be horses for courses and rotation....at least that’s what I hope. How nice would it be to not have a burnt out midfield by February?!

It’s been quite telling over the last couple of seasons how not being able to rest, rotate and refresh the team has run us into the ground. Let’s get the players back and have a happier problem than scraping around trying to cope with being injury hit.

9 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

I'd give Massengo a rest. He was neat and tidy today but I didn't think he had his usual energy in closing down and snapping at ankles. 3 games in a week plus travel may just be taking a toll.

I agree with that - he’s obviously a great player but towards the end of the game he did seem a bit ‘leggy’ and he gave the ball away a couple of times in key positions but it looked like he’d done so because he was knackered rather than anything else 

1 minute ago, RedM said:

It’s been quite telling over the last couple of seasons how not being able to rest, rotate and refresh the team has run us into the ground. Let’s get the players back and have a happier problem than scraping around trying to cope with being injury hit.

Only problem with that M is ,under LJ , we seem to go on our best runs when we are injury hit and there are fewer selection options  !!!

6 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Only problem with that M is ,under LJ , we seem to go on our best runs when we are injury hit and there are fewer selection options  !!!

Hmmm, yes I had forgotten that. Less balls in the tombola I guess.

Personally, I’d go 5-3-2 as first choice - it seems to be how we play best. The added security of Nagy also allows O’Dowda to come in as LWB/LM until JD is back.

I also think both HNM and Josh can do a good job up the pitch which they haven’t had as much opportunity to do thus far. And they can rotate to do so.

On the basis come post break all are fit bar Korey, JD and Benik (and we haven’t signed a striker) I’d like to see:

Bentley

Kalas

Williams

Moore

Hunt

O’Dowda

Nagy

Brownhill

Massengo

Palmer

Weimann

Which is so far removed from where we thought we’d be pre August it’s insane.

10 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Personally, I’d go 5-3-2 as first choice - it seems to be how we play best. The added security of Nagy also allows O’Dowda to come in as LWB/LM until JD is back.

I also think both HNM and Josh can do a good job up the pitch which they haven’t had as much opportunity to do thus far. And they can rotate to do so.

On the basis come post break all are fit bar Korey, JD and Benik (and we haven’t signed a striker) I’d like to see:

Bentley

Kalas

Williams

Moore

Hunt

O’Dowda

Nagy

Brownhill

Massengo

Palmer

Weimann

Which is so far removed from where we thought we’d be pre August it’s insane.

Enough goals Silvio ?

1 minute ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Enough goals Silvio ?

Yup. All you’re losing from the current 5-3-2 in an attacking sense when played is Semenyo.

Also, there was a huge stat which I’ve not seen mentioned on here that GMcG flagged the other day. C80% of our chances currently come from the right hand side (not a shock as Rowe not natural LWB and Hunt playing well). I know COD also not a natural WB so you lose defensively (but Kalas helps) but imagine more attacking intent that side with Weimann/Palmer/Josh all making runs on an intelligent basis...

1 minute ago, Silvio Dante said:

Yup. All you’re losing from the current 5-3-2 in an attacking sense when played is Semenyo.

Also, there was a huge stat which I’ve not seen mentioned on here that GMcG flagged the other day. C80% of our chances currently come from the right hand side (not a shock as Rowe not natural LWB and Hunt playing well). I know COD also not a natural WB so you lose defensively (but Kalas helps) but imagine more attacking intent that side with Weimann/Palmer/Josh all making runs on an intelligent basis...

Been disappointed in Palmer in front of goal to date , and Josh doesn’t get enough goals for me 

AW , probably due to his all round work , I don’t ever see as prolific 

That’s what I was thinking 

7 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Been disappointed in Palmer in front of goal to date , and Josh doesn’t get enough goals for me 

AW , probably due to his all round work , I don’t ever see as prolific 

That’s what I was thinking 

Think that’s fair - my broader consideration here is the following:

- What’s our best system?

- Who can play in it?

I think, without calling it an absolute, Weimann has really been hamstrung by his work rate pulling him to other areas. I don’t have the stat to hand, but when he plays up front as opposed to being pulled wide (again, frustratingly, today), I believe he has a very good scoring record. With intelligent players around, that can only improve.

I do share the concerns re KP (see finishes both today and on Weds) but see he has it in his locker. Josh - don’t think he’s ever, when here, had sustained licence to get forward. But see something there.

If I thought we had a striker who could slot into the rest of style/players in that formation, I’d think different. But reckon that might well be worth a shot.

18 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Enough goals Silvio ?

It risks a reduction in goals but OTOH, the return of Kalas, Nagy- the 3 centrally x 2, with players in that combination, will bolster us numerically centrally a decent amount.

Trade-off for control and security which helps to offset a possible short term reduction in goals. That's one way it might go anyway.

1 minute ago, Silvio Dante said:

Think that’s fair - my broader consideration here is the following:

- What’s our best system?

- Who can play in it?

I think, without calling it an absolute, Weimann has really been hamstrung by his work rate pulling him to other areas. I don’t have the stat to hand, but when he plays up front as opposed to being pulled wide (again, frustratingly, today), I believe he has a very good scoring record. With intelligent players around, that can only improve.

I do share the concerns re KP (see finishes both today and on Weds) but see he has it in his locker. Josh - don’t think he’s ever, when here, had sustained licence to get forward. But see something there.

If I thought we had a striker who could slot into the rest of style/players in that formation, I’d think different. But reckon that might well be worth a shot.

Good post and agree very much the dilemma

With what we’ve got atm

Famara included , goal threat but may hinder our fluidity 

or

The line up you’ve suggested (Which Without Famara Id go with) with likely better fluidity but means everyone else needs to keep chipping in with goals 

tbf , after Famaras show today I’m not sure anymore !

2 minutes ago, cityexile said:

Just to throw this in to the mix, is the idea we are getting Paterson back in Jan? Quite a few Derby fans seemed to think he was just cover until Rooney arrives, although posts on their forum seem imply he is doing pretty well.

Watched him for a spell midweek

He looked lively and played well tbf 

25 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Not surprised by that stat. Rowe hardly ever gets forward and gets balls in. We are weak going forward on the left when Rowe is wing back. I think LJ tells him to concentrate on defending as he hasn't the legs to get up and down. When Dasilva returns we will be so much better going forward on that side.

I think Massengo is so good at almost everything. I can imagine him being brilliant further up the pitch. Imagine something like this:

Bentley

Hunt    Kalas  Moore  Dasilva 

Smith  Nagy

Brownhill Massengo

Palmer 

Weimann

I'm not sure if it would suit Weimann in the lone role, but I'm beginning to think it may be worth trying.

Imagine how solid we would be and how much freedom our attacking full backs would have in that side.

1 hour ago, Meh said:

Rotate the 3 midfielders and rotate the 4 centre backs. Do the same with Rowe/Dasilva (when back) and Perreira/Hunt. 

Games come thick and fast and we can genuinely change 2 to 4 players a game without weakening - we have failed previously with too many squad players the manager did not trust to come in - this league calls out for rotation.

1 hour ago, RedDave said:

We can’t have a mindset of a first XI. We have lacked depth ever since we got promoted. Now is the first time we have 18 players that can all play and not really weaken a position. We can also play 4 different formations pretty well. 

It will be horses for courses and rotation....at least that’s what I hope. How nice would it be to not have a burnt out midfield by February?!

Rotation is certainly important - and essential - but there is also something to be said for a regular starting 11 that builds a great understanding.

I think the trick to getting the best of both worlds is to rotate players without having to make changes to the system to accommodate them. I feel we can do that now; Korey for Massengo, Nagy for Brownhill would be examples of direct replacements that don’t compromise on quality!

Can’t remember having such great strength in depth before. Exciting to think this team is unbeaten in 10 with Kalas, Nagy, Smith and Dasilva all still to return. It could even prove beneficial in the long run, with those players likely to be fresher for longer into the season, once they return.

3 hours ago, JonDolman said:

Not surprised by that stat. Rowe hardly ever gets forward and gets balls in. We are weak going forward on the left when Rowe is wing back. I think LJ tells him to concentrate on defending as he hasn't the legs to get up and down. When Dasilva returns we will be so much better going forward on that side.

You’ve said this quite a bit recently.

I thought first half today him and Callum worked our left side well.

Heres a few charts.  We are not the possession side of last season.  However, today we made more successful passes in the first half (289) than the whole of Brentford and PNE.  We made just 109 in second half today.

AE55259D-471E-429A-9689-1A8585DD3CF2.thumb.jpeg.77a9f6159207e285fbfe4d938aa6d19d.jpegE3F5F3B4-9B41-4B5D-8F4A-CDEA94AB96CC.thumb.jpeg.96e4074a6dd139c84ad02a15fc5abf2d.jpeg09348ACA-0302-4F38-8634-1D0E3849FAD7.thumb.jpeg.4a3d62518eef363852225da5d1ea2615.jpeg

I think he does alright.  He’s not expansive, but today he was also LB rather than LWB - something go bear in mind.

And I haven’t included goals, v Brum and Boro (yes he’d moved into midfield) and penalty v Hull.  He has a desire to get forward...when it’s right to do so.

5 hours ago, bcfcnick said:

Brownhill could be the one quiet lately

Archived