IGNORED

Korey v Massenga

WECANDO

11 hours ago, chucky said:

£20m, for an 18 year old we paid £8m for that would have 3 years left on his contract? I would find that very hard to believe. I think when we do sell him, it will be a record breaking fee. 

Leicester have 4/5 top midfielders already so can’t see this having any legs

I think the worry for me is there is a big chance Korey may not return as the player of old. He has had two serious, long term injuries here. The body will never completely recover 

I really hope not but I think we are moving on and I'll be very surprised if Smith is still here in 12 months time 

13 hours ago, chucky said:

£20m, for an 18 year old we paid £8m for that would have 3 years left on his contract? I would find that very hard to believe. I think when we do sell him, it will be a record breaking fee. 

Surely we'll need him in the top division next season. ?

If I'm honest I think that there are 3 possible outcomes:

-Korey goes, we have Nagy, Massengo, Browny as our first choice midfield three

-Korey gets in the team, Massengo fights for his place and is used mainy from bench for the rest of the season

-Korey gets injured....then released

Just can't see Korey staying and sitting on the bench.

On 05/10/2019 at 20:34, JonDolman said:

Massengo is exceptional. I don't get what some people are seeing.

A part of me wants to see Massengo, Brownhill, Nagy and Korey all in the same side, but don't think that will happen.

Exactly, me too. Is this what the website Experimental361 was referring to?!

On 05/10/2019 at 23:57, Bas's perfect hattrick said:

Genuine question, why did no premier League club come him for him over the summer? We all heard the Chelsea conspiracy theory, but surely other premier League clubs would love to have signed him

It's been said that a few were asking how we managed to sign him.

On 06/10/2019 at 00:26, Davefevs said:

I think we just have to accept that if Smith and Nagy are fit at the same time as Brownhill and Massengo, then Lee has a wonderful selection headache in front of him.

As we’ve seen already the chances of having everyone fit is rare, and injuries elsewhere may influence the line-up.

Massengo is an amazing talent, improving our midfield capability and options to play differently to last season.  He is mature beyond his years.  Him and Brownhill got through some miles today.  I actually think Josh has learned to use his body better in challenges...think he’s learned from Han-Noah.

did you mean Saturday?

On 06/10/2019 at 09:04, Andy082005 said:

I think the worry for me is there is a big chance Korey may not return as the player of old. He has had two serious, long term injuries here. The body will never completely recover 

I really hope not but I think we are moving on and I'll be very surprised if Smith is still here in 12 months time 

I fear you may be right.

I fear he may turn into another Marvin Elliott, he was never the same after his Injuries. Maybe some of it is psychological but like you say the body can never recover completely from such serious injuries. Countless careers have fizzled out due to injuries, Steve Brooker another. I

don't think Korey will ever have 40 games a season in him and that's a real shame. He will continue to pick up injuries and each time take longer to recover. 

On 06/10/2019 at 01:57, Bas's perfect hattrick said:

Genuine question, why did no premier League club come him for him over the summer? We all heard the Chelsea conspiracy theory, but surely other premier League clubs would love to have signed him

They may have done, but in the only interview I have seen with him, he said how much he wanted games. He is currently getting more than either he or us would have bargained for. Would he have had this much game time in a Premier League set up?

A part of me wants to see Massengo, Brownhill, Nagy and Korey all in the same side, but don't think that will happen.

Agree Massengo, and Nagy, play at a different level - genuine quality in midfield that we have been missing for years. Brownhill, at times, can play at same level, but not consistently. Korey, at his best, would be a match for them. Great problem to have ?

I'll settle for seeing Nagy, Massengo, Brownhill & Palmer all in the same stating 11, and see no reason why that won't happen!

Think Korey has a long way to go to get a game over Nagy, Massengo or Brownhill. So if Korey does get some starts this season I expect him to be sensational. 

I love Korey but his days are surely numbered. Hell without his injuries last season, would he even still be here? Last few months of his contract now. Not sure we offer him another new contract. He can definitely help as a good option to have but I don’t think he is better than the 3 ahead of him and going forward Bakinson, Morrell and the lad at FGR(sorry can’t think of his name) need a pathway to the first team. 

Don’t feel we need to rush him back and don’t think he starts anyway. Think anything we get from Korey this season will just be extra to an already good side. He isn’t going to be a main cog in this imo. 

3 hours ago, old_eastender said:

Agree Massengo, and Nagy, play at a different level - genuine quality in midfield that we have been missing for years. Brownhill, at times, can play at same level, but not consistently. Korey, at his best, would be a match for them. Great problem to have ?

I'll settle for seeing Nagy, Massengo, Brownhill & Palmer all in the same stating 11, and see no reason why that won't happen!

Genuine question... and this is coming from someone who rates each and every one of them, but how the hell would that even work?!? What formation are you looking at?

You should really change your name to half empty mate.

29 minutes ago, Steve Watts said:

Genuine question... and this is coming from someone who rates each and every one of them, but how the hell would that even work?!? What formation are you looking at?

You could do a narrow diamond 442. You could also do a narrow diamond in a 541. It can be done but not sure either is realistic for the championship. 

You could put Brownhill wide of a 4141 but always thought he was a bit wasted out there. Best case for me is 3 of the 4 which obviously will happen often

55 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Think Korey has a long way to go to get a game over Nagy, Massengo or Brownhill. So if Korey does get some starts this season I expect him to be sensational. 

I love Korey but his days are surely numbered. Hell without his injuries last season, would he even still be here? Last few months of his contract now. Not sure we offer him another new contract. He can definitely help as a good option to have but I don’t think he is better than the 3 ahead of him and going forward Bakinson, Morrell and the lad at FGR(sorry can’t think of his name) need a pathway to the first team. 

Don’t feel we need to rush him back and don’t think he starts anyway. Think anything we get from Korey this season will just be extra to an already good side. He isn’t going to be a main cog in this imo. 

James Morton

I can't see a formation where you're going to be able to shoe-horn all of Massengo/Nagy/Brownhill/Smith in, nor do I think that we should try.

Our strength in depth (when everyone is fit) is impressive now in all areas except up top. All of the squad is going to need to play it's part, but also be rested in equal measure. 

We've had enough bad luck with injuries, so rotation is going to be key. I trust Johnson to pick the right 'horses for courses' going forward game by game.

Let's just all be glad that we're having this debate about which of our great selection of top class midfielders gets to start ahead of the other.

4 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

You could do a narrow diamond 442. You could also do a narrow diamond in a 541. It can be done but not sure either is realistic for the championship. 

You could put Brownhill wide of a 4141 but always thought he was a bit wasted out there. Best case for me is 3 of the 4 which obviously will happen often

Exactly....for me the only way you can play all four is to go narrow, and we always look better with width.  I wouldn't want to see any of those out wide though.  It's a good place to be in though to know that we've reached the level where we have several top players that aren't guaranteed a space at any given time.  A far cry from a few years ago for sure.  Just need that sort of depth up front now.  

On 05/10/2019 at 20:57, Northern Red said:

Once Nagy is fit I think we'll see Massengo benched for a little while. It won't be a popular move and isn't necessarily what I'd do either but they'll be mindful of not wanting to overplay him.

Nagy is class. They cant all play. And he is very young.

I wouldn't disagree with this - I'd love to see Brownhill used further forward/at the tip of a diamond. He's an excellent finisher and a proper athlete.

18 hours ago, Redpool said:

Korey is done in my opinion. We’ve upgraded and he’s been left behind. Far too injury prone also. 

He's suffered bad two impact injuries in the last two seasons.  That doesn't make him injury prone.  He's always looked good when he's come back in and he has earned the chance to prove that his own progression can keep up with the club's in my opinion.

On 09/10/2019 at 08:12, Steve Watts said:

I’d like to see a 4312, just once.

GK and back 4.

Brownhill | Nagy | Massengo

Palmer

Weimann | Diedhiou or Semenyo

Indeed. So much of his game is based on running and energy and these injuries are surely at least going to mean he needs to adapt his game. I'd love to see him fit and playing well for us again but he's not played a lot of football for well over a year. Even if he is able to build up his fitness, I think it'll take much of the season for him to do so. I'll be pleasantly surprised if he is in and playing regularly for us at any point this season. 

TBH a fit Smith and Nagy are the number ones for defensive mf cover, but Massengo offers so much it would be criminal to drop him.

Both Han-Noah and Josh Brownhill can play offensively, so there is always the option of playing further up the field, in a rejigged formation, were all men available.

Korey's been out for so long though, that I don't see him being rushed back into the team any time soon.

16 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I’d like to see a 4312, just once.

GK and back 4.

Brownhill | Nagy | Massengo

Palmer

Weimann | Diedhiou or Semenyo

Fully agree- the only slight reservation I have with that is Diedhiou or Semenyo- unsure the former fully fits the system, the latter I have concerns as to how ready he is.

Could try that but a bit left-field, with Watkins for example alongside Weimann in a 4-3-1-2...played from time to time as partner to a striker at Barnsley in his excellent 2016/17- seems to have or had at least some decent pressing and movement. Semenyo in that fluid system though, we may yet see a different aspect to his game. With no Afobe though, that partner for Weimann in that shape an open question IMO- all have their strengths but none say"I'm the one, well and truly" I don't think.

IF Korey can get back to full fitness, I can see his versatility being his friend. He can play at full back as well as in midfield and I wonder if he might end up competing with Hunt for the RB / RWB berth along with Pereira (who's on loan I believe), fitness permitting and still be available for a midfield slot if needed? 

On 05/10/2019 at 21:14, BobBobSuperBob said:

Reminds me of Kante in his playing strengths 

And that’s exactly how I’d look to use him

Not sure he’s going to create or score lots of goals but can boss the midfield tidying up and rotating the ball

I would suggest you/we think of Massengo like this because that is the only position really, that he has been utilised in thus far.

I believe in his interview after the Leeds game when discussing signings, Johnson described Massengo as an attacking central midfielder.

Perhaps we just haven't had the opportunity to play him in this position yet. He may well be a real all rounder.

3 hours ago, Coxy27 said:

I would suggest you/we think of Massengo like this because that is the only position really, that he has been utilised in thus far.

I believe in his interview after the Leeds game when discussing signings, Johnson described Massengo as an attacking central midfielder.

Perhaps we just haven't had the opportunity to play him in this position yet. He may well be a real all rounder.

That’s not correct 

He described him as an all round but predominantly defensive midfielder 

Archived