IGNORED

David Cotterill

Henry

12 minutes ago, watkins1983 said:

Sure blackmail is illegal? Pretty interested to hear what it is though must be damaging for cotts to come out and make a statement about it. 

Be interesting to see,let’s hope whatever he has done hasn’t affected others peoples lives and their children’s otherwise his statement is empty words

32 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

It’s becoming a joke 

It is no joke, and as a friend of someone who has dealt with mental health issues and is now helping DC with his, why be so dismissive. DC has been very open about his mental health and his addictions, and is keen to help others. The post above is on his LinkedIn profile...go and have a read of the rest of his profile.

I dont know anything about Cotterill's issues. But when people say they are depressed, it is important to know whether they are depressed or simply feeling down. Big difference between the two. Doctors will just hand out anti depressants to anyone. Sadness is a perfectly normal human emotion.

7 hours ago, asfred said:

It is no joke, and as a friend of someone who has dealt with mental health issues and is now helping DC with his, why be so dismissive. DC has been very open about his mental health and his addictions, and is keen to help others. The post above is on his LinkedIn profile...go and have a read of the rest of his profile.

I take what JJT said as meaning it’s becoming a very easy card to play when things go wrong, rather than mental health being a joke in general. To an extent I do agree. I have a mum and brother who have both suffered from severe depression and have done for many years. It’s always been an issue, just an easier card to play nowadays when things go wrong.

It shouldn’t be used an excuse if you have taken advantage of others, which sounds exactly like Cotts has done.

15 minutes ago, formerly known as ivan said:

I take what JJT said as meaning it’s becoming a very easy card to play when things go wrong, rather than mental health being a joke in general. To an extent I do agree. I have a mum and brother who have both suffered from severe depression and have done for many years. It’s always been an issue, just an easier card to play nowadays when things go wrong.

It shouldn’t be used an excuse if you have taken advantage of others, which sounds exactly like Cotts has done.

So your families depression is genuine but other people use it as an easy card to play? How do you know they do and who can you name that have invented depression?

4 minutes ago, windmillhillred said:

‘Coloured’? Christ.

That's off the list too now? I wish someone was keeping a handbook or guide for everyone. 

With tongue in cheek.... I assume you've checked your blasphemous response is still OK? 

17 minutes ago, RedDave said:

So your families depression is genuine but other people use it as an easy card to play? How do you know they do and who can you name that have invented depression?

Not what I said though was it? My family have never conned or done anything they shouldn’t have and blamed the depression/mental health card. There is a big difference 

1 hour ago, formerly known as ivan said:

You know the exact situation that DC is describing then? So you know he’s used his depression as a way to gain financially just from that statement he has made? Fair play to you.

Depression makes some do desperate things because they see no other way out, hence why some actually end up killing themselves because they see no other way out & others will look at the situation after & say that it wasn’t worth them taking his / her life for but that’s what it does, it makes people see things irrationally, to those so desperate, there is no other option!!

Depression is one of the hardest things anyone can go through, there is no magic cure, there is no operation to cure people suffering from it & there is no timescale for how long it might go on, it’s just there & is something that people have to deal with every morning they wake up & every morning they wake up with it, they wish they hadn’t woke up!!

Not everyone has a great life & there are many deciding factors as to how people can & can’t live out their lives.

49 minutes ago, formerly known as ivan said:

This seems to be the way the World has evolved.

Example 1 - Years ago your granny would die quite often which got you a few days off work and some empathy from others, and was used by skivers on a regular basis. 

Example 2 - The old bad back routine, non visible injury but extremely painful (I’ve had the real deal so I do know this is true) excellent for weeks off work if you can get your BAFTA level act of injury past your doctor 3 weeks paid leave is guaranteed. 

Example 3 - Stress, lots of people suddenly realised they were stressed. Much more concerning than just worried this can be on a new level and be used frequently - and your ‘stress’ level increased if someone dares to suggest you’re pulling a fast one. This is the predecessor of proper mental health scam. 

Example 4 - Mental Health, the real deal and very much on trend this has become so much more common now we’re allowed to talk about our feelings. I’m not convinced talking about minor worries helps if it causes you to stress, worrying is part of human nature and is designed to help you learn and evaluate risks in life. 

All of the the above are sadly true but will annoy the genuine ones who have had these issues for real. So whilst I apologise to them I do hope they realise it’s the scammers and cheats who are the ones really discrediting their genuine illnesses and making them look like skivers when they’re not - which makes it very hard for those of us lucky enough not to have these issues very difficult to differentiate between them and the cheats. 

Just for the record, someone very close in my family has had - and still has to a lower degree, serious mental health issues losing his job (and all the financial implications of that) and going to the point of ending it all before he got the help he needed to stabilise his life. 

As for NB, as previously suggested I think he’s set himself that 100% fitness level and if at any time - however inconvenient a time it might be, he just feels if he’s not good enough to contribute he has to stand aside for a 100% fit player??

22 minutes ago, Tipps69 said:

You know the exact situation that DC is describing then? So you know he’s used his depression as a way to gain financially just from that statement he has made? Fair play to you.

Depression makes some do desperate things because they see no other way out, hence why some actually end up killing themselves because they see no other way out & others will look at the situation after & say that it wasn’t worth them taking his / her life for but that’s what it does, it makes people see things irrationally, to those so desperate, there is no other option!!

Depression is one of the hardest things anyone can go through, there is no magic cure, there is no operation to cure people suffering from it & there is no timescale for how long it might go on, it’s just there & is something that people have to deal with every morning they wake up & every morning they wake up with it, they wish they hadn’t woke up!!

Not everyone has a great life & there are many deciding factors as to how people can & can’t live out their lives.

You are missing my point. Mental health has become ‘fashionable’.

Of course there are thousands of genuine cases where people are on the brink and need help, but this gets diluted by those who play this card as an easy way out. And as someone else has said, it’s very easy to go to the doctors for medication without real examinations or tests being done.

Working in a world of credit control you can quite often hear things like ‘if you keep chasing me I will kill myself’. You have to be careful as some people are on the edge but they get missed as so many people use it as an empty threat to get out of a difficult situation.

Mental health/depression has always existed, it’s nothing new. What is new is the amount of people that new use this as a get out of jail free card, therefore taking away the real issue from those suffering.

4 minutes ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Of course there are thousands of genuine cases where people are on the brink and need help, but this gets diluted by those who play this card as an easy way out. And as someone else has said, it’s very easy to go to the doctors for medication without real examinations or tests being done.

Working in a world of credit control you can quite often hear things like ‘if you keep chasing me I will kill myself’. You have to be careful as some people are on the edge but they get missed as so many people use it as an empty threat to get out of a difficult situation.

Mental health/depression has always existed, it’s nothing new. What is new is the amount of people that new use this as a get out of jail free card, therefore taking away the real issue from those suffering.

‘Fashionable’ ?

or now recognised and acknowledged 

The suicide rates for men in their 40s / 50s is horrendous and speaks volumes 

1 hour ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Modern life is more stressful. The world of credit you mention is a good example. 30-40 years ago, you didn't have the amount of easy loans and the societal pressure to buy more and more shit that you don't really need. Not saying that people are not culpable for what they buy, but I think there are some very cynical people/companies out there e.g.pay day lenders, who are waiting for people to get into trouble so they can fleece them even more. 

Add to this the breakdown of the family unit etc and its no wonder there are more mental health problems than before

1 hour ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

‘Fashionable’ ?

or now recognised and acknowledged 

The suicide rates for men in their 40s / 50s is horrendous and speaks volumes 

Think i’m Right in saying it’s by far the biggest killer of men aged 20-40 as well.

just a general point. I think we could all do with having a bit more empathy of other people in terms of things that might be going on behind the scenes, and be a bit less judgemental. I suspect we’d ALL be happier as a result

you may say i’m a dreamer....(etc)

12 hours ago, Redwhitepurple said:

If in trouble always blame mental health

I think there is an issue where increased awareness of mental health has led to people falsely self-diagnosing themselves.

I imagine that is probably what you were getting at but worded it fairly callously. Despite the self diagnoses issue, I feel people should give eachother the benefit of the doubt with mental health and help eachother

It’s great that there’s far more understanding of the issue now than even 10 years ago. People like Cotterill are very brave coning forward and speaking publicly - I hope he can resolve whatever the issue is.

Archived