IGNORED

Bentley

Globe Trotter

First couple of games he looked like there was a mistake waiting to happen which was the Brentford assessment. However right now the boy is bang in form and must be enjoying it. You can feel these players think they have a real chance at this and he is no exception!

Any suggestion of the England squad is a real stretch.

Pope, Heaton, Pickford, Ramsdale, Henderson, Foster are all playing regularly in the premier league. Fraser Forster is back playing for Celtic and would probably be looked at first too.

Butland and Bettinelli have been in squads recently so may well also be ahead.

It would have to be a major injury crisis. Having said that, the longer he continues to play the way he is now, the further up that list he'll get in future.

1 hour ago, RedDave said:

You think Bentley is loads better than Maenpaa?

Yes. His distribution, his technique and his range of techniques to distribute the ball are superior to most Keepers below the Premiership. That is two thirds of a modern keepers game. 

1 minute ago, Coxy27 said:

Any suggestion of the England squad is a real stretch.

Pope, Heaton, Pickford, Ramsdale, Henderson, Foster are all playing regularly in the premier league. Fraser Forster is back playing for Celtic and would probably be looked at first too.

Butland and Bettinelli have been in squads recently so may well also be ahead.

It would have to be a major injury crisis. Having said that, the longer he continues to play the way he is now, the further up that list he'll get in future.

Southgate won’t recall Foster or Forster

Apoligies - Who is Ramsdale ?

1 minute ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Southgate won’t recall Foster or Forster

Apoligies - Who is Ramsdale ?

Bournemouth goalkeeper. I don't know much about him and he may well not be better than Bentley. However, purely because he's playing in the premier league, he'd likely get picked ahead of a championship goalkeeper, we're often shortsighted in that regard unfortunately.

I also forgot Angus Gunn and Alex McCarthy who would probably be picked first too.

3 minutes ago, Coxy27 said:

Bournemouth goalkeeper. I don't know much about him and he may well not be better than Bentley. However, purely because he's playing in the premier league, he'd likely get picked ahead of a championship goalkeeper, we're often shortsighted in that regard unfortunately.

I also forgot Angus Gunn and Alex McCarthy who would probably be picked first too.

Ahhh yes - ta

Very decent when I’ve seen him

Id argue Bentley in current form against most of those but agree being at little ole Bristol City in Championship wont help

6 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Ahhh yes - ta

Very decent when I’ve seen him

Id argue Bentley in current form against most of those but agree being at little ole Bristol City in Championship wont help

I would bet Bentley against most too, mainly because of the quality of his distribution, something many of those listed in this thread aren't as strong at.

Southgate runs a meritocracy. He talked this week about no privileged access for any player, which is a nice change from previous managers picking players for their name rather than their contribution. I believe he has picked 17 players who were current or former EFL players in his time too.

The current England set up tracks all qualified players so Bentley will have been noticed for sure. Not that he was unknown to England before but his form for us means he is back to his best.

2 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

Probably Butland, even though he’s having a torrid start to this season. 

Bentley is most certainly up there with the best. 

Most of the pundits seem to rate Darren Randolph and often say he`s the best in the division. I`ve never got the love-in with him personally - he makes a lot of unforced errors IMO - and would take DB over him all day long.

6 hours ago, The King of Spain said:

What a fine goalkeeper we have. Much like a good referee I find myself not really noticing him which is a good sign and he has made some excellent saves.

Calm, good distribution and commands his area well - great start to his career here in my view and one of the main reasons we’ve been unbeaten since day 1. 

Best keeper since Basso.

8 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

Most of the pundits seem to rate Darren Randolph and often say he`s the best in the division. I`ve never got the love-in with him personally - he makes a lot of unforced errors IMO - and would take DB over him all day long.

He saved Boro from a heavy defeat at Brum on Friday but I am not convinced he is the best in the division. I certainly wouldn't swap for Bentley.

1 minute ago, chinapig said:

He saved Boro from a heavy defeat at Brum on Friday but I am not convinced he is the best in the division. I certainly wouldn't swap for Bentley.

we know who the worst is - take a look at Sluga of Luton yesterday (and for most of the season apparently), even his manager criticised his 'performance'.  Would not swap DB for anyone else in the league at the moment

10 minutes ago, Ronnie Sinclair said:

we know who the worst is - take a look at Sluga of Luton yesterday (and for most of the season apparently), even his manager criticised his 'performance'.  Would not swap DB for anyone else in the league at the moment

Watch him have the game of his life on the 19th now!

The other one I can`t really make out is the Forest keeper, Samba. He looks like a Sunday League player in his body language and seems to be all over the place at times but doesn`t half pull off some worldies.

1 hour ago, Red Right Hand said:

He’s someone who’ll make absolute worldies....but also has a clanger in him.  Bit Grobelaar like in that respect.

56 minutes ago, chinapig said:

He certainly did.

Bentley a really good fit for us.

7 hours ago, RedDave said:

You think Bentley is loads better than Maenpaa?

“Loads better” no, but that’s not what I said. A significant upgrade I think.

Admittedly I won’t have seen as much of him as you, but his all-round game, in particular his command of the box, the confidence his defenders appear to have in him, and his distribution, are notably superior.

In terms of best upgrades on last season, Massengo is also clearly a contender for that title, though I would argue Korey Smith in his prime would run him very close right now - though of course Massengo has huge further potential that Korey doesn’t.

I remember him being touted as the next big thing when we were linked with signing him from Southend, and being very disappointed that Brentford got him. I thought that would end our chances.

It was weird then to hear these reports of poor performances last season, and it didn't augur well for us.

But he's been right on it from gameweek one. I really like his presence. I don't mean physical, although he has the right dimensions for a keeper, but the way he carries himself in the box and communicates with defenders. 

Also it helps that he keeps making saves! If we don't go up, I'd expect interest. 

Simply superb. 

Best Keeper I have seen down The Gate - which goes back to the days of Gibbo.

If he can cut out that one rash decision per match (normally coming for a high ball through players), has the potential to be a worldie. 

10 hours ago, Tammyjr said:

Best keeper in the championship,  my son said yesterday?? Think I agree on his performances since he arrived ???????

9 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

Probably Butland, even though he’s having a torrid start to this season. 

Don’t shoot down the dreams and magical opinions of his son! It wasn’t so long ago (in fact it was!!) when I thought Kenny Stroud  was one of the best midfielders in the world!

41 minutes ago, RedRock said:

Simply superb. 

If he can cut out that one rash decision per match (normally coming for a high ball through players), has the potential to be a worldie. 

He did mis-judge one cross on Saturday that led to a melee.  Moore mis-judged one too from the same side.  Was it blustery?  I can’t remember.

7 hours ago, RedRock said:

Simply superb. 

That one rash decision is I think a reflection of his confidence, which is one of the most valuable assets a keeper can have. 

His confidence affects the defence in front of him and with losing Kalas has probably made a big difference to Moore settling in so well. 

I watched the keepers warm up at Brentford, it was right in front of us fans so could hear almost every word. Don’t underestimate Rene Gilmartin ( sp?) role, and the new GK coach, they made a very relaxed but through work out. They were laughing and joking and the four of them seem to have a great bond and working relationship. They prepared a Bentley well and he was relaxed and confident. 

3 hours ago, RedM said:

I watched the keepers warm up at Brentford, it was right in front of us fans so could hear almost every word. Don’t underestimate Rene Gilmartin ( sp?) role, and the new GK coach, they made a very relaxed but through work out. They were laughing and joking and the four of them seem to have a great bond and working relationship. They prepared a Bentley well and he was relaxed and confident. 

I always watch too.  Appears to be a good relationship between the 4 of them.

It was probably the perfect transfer tbh. He lost his way slightly at Brentford so they cashed in making a very decent profit, as is their way, and we got a keeper who seems to be moving on to the next level and well worth the outlay.

If he does lose form we have a more than adequate back up too and with both O’Leary and Woolacott getting 40 odd much needed games under their belts this season barring injury we seem to have the Goalkeeper situation well under control.

Archived