IGNORED

Massengo

Alan Dicks

Forget your Leeds mate, I’m currently a city fan living in Leeds and I’ve never met a more arrogant bunch of deluded fans. As a championship rival they don’t even consider us a threat and when I question our threat as a worthy championship rival I get shut down. I’ve spoken about massengo to Leeds fans and they don’t care for him because if he was an good he would be playing for Leeds! Massengo can be as good as he wants to be let’s just make sure he avoids days out at the Cheltenham races!

8 minutes ago, walsh left foot said:

Forget your Leeds mate, I’m currently a city fan living in Leeds and I’ve never met a more arrogant bunch of deluded fans. As a championship rival they don’t even consider us a threat and when I question our threat as a worthy championship rival I get shut down. I’ve spoken about massengo to Leeds fans and they don’t care for him because if he was an good he would be playing for Leeds! Massengo can be as good as he wants to be let’s just make sure he avoids days out at the Cheltenham races!

They really don`t help themselves do they?

57 minutes ago, walsh left foot said:

Not that I am sad and bitter...but just point out that Afobe still has more league goals this season than ‘Eddie’...

5 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

This is what worries me although he is very good at evading a lot of the agricultural stuff that comes his way, very Messi-esque some of the time - he`s getting a bit like our version of Grealish (without the diving and the Billy Big Bollix attitude obviously). We need someone like Macca to be in the fourth official`s ear when it happens and for HNM to get a rep as a player that gets fouled a lot because he`s good and not because he goes down too easily.

4 hours ago, MarcusX said:

He does go down a bit easy mind, definitely one to “buy a foul” on occasions.

I’d say he tends to draw a foul by simply being too good for the opposing player, which is very different from “buying” a foul and a million miles from being a diver.

There'd be no point in selling him soon since we don't need the money and he's only 18, we could keep him till he's 21 then sell him for even more. He'll be better off here getting games while he's young, if he goes to a big club he'll end up like Nketia ie just getting a few bench outings and cup games

Why the negativity? It’s hard to expect the club to have ambition when it’s so lacking amongst the fans.

He will help us win promotion, become a Premiership star with us, and play his next Champions League game in a Bristol City shirt.......

And, we might actually learn how to spell his name!

IMO , if he carries on the ways he’s going he will be outstanding . From a few games in various cups for Monaco to being a regular starter for a championship team pushing for promotion/top 6 in less then a year. By the time he’s 25 we could be looking at a starting defensive midfielder for France . With prices inflated as they are  in world football I believe if Harry maguire is the most expensive defender in the world he could easily sell for more in his prime (if he has limited injuries and carries on his current form) £40-100mil for me 

I wonder if signing players like Massengo is an attempt at a similar strategy to the one employed by the Red Bull Leipzig.

The strategy has changed a bit in recent seasons as they've become a bigger player in the Bundesliga but historically they tended to buy promising young players (historically often players who'd be viewed as out of their league), bring them on for a few years and sell on for profit.

They have a very young squad (current average age of >23) and play high octane exciting football that suits young players.

I know LJ is a big fan of their methods. Massengo feels like that sort of signing - young, arguably out of our league, potential big sell on if he progresses beyond our level.

Interesting signing and hopefully won't be the last.

10 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Where are you all getting your fee paid info from?

Boaty reported the following, and given that he has been one of the far more reliable local reporters, I am inclined to go with his view.

Ta.  Knew Gregor had said €3.0m.....was searching post rather than twitter.  Certainly knew I’d not seen £4+6m anywhere, other than @FrozenRobin’s post! ?

I was talking to his dad on Saturday after the game - what a nice chap (and family) He said he specifically wants his son to develop for the next few years away from the top Prem teams - wants him to get games and develop as a player from match time. Got a great picture of my kids with Han, and he signed my boys BCFC kit bag and chatted to my son - very down to earth player and family... we are lucky to have found a gem ?

1 hour ago, italian dave said:

Why the negativity? It’s hard to expect the club to have ambition when it’s so lacking amongst the fans.

He will help us win promotion, become a Premiership star with us, and play his next Champions League game in a Bristol City shirt.......

And, we might actually learn how to spell his name!

People absolutely love to say things like 'Enjoy him whilst he's here'. I guess it's a coping mechanism really; getting the idea that he might be bough by another team out there early. Very small-time thing to say in my opinion, if we're a club with aspirations of playing in the Prem, why wouldn't he progress with us?

Well if we are in the championship it won’t be the figures on here. Phillips at Leeds price was allegedly 25m. Not sure Massengo is at that level yet and probably won’t get to that price in a season but we have 3(?) years left on his deal. So we hold the power there. 

It is the summer after we may get max value. He’d have 2 years league experience and we can still ask for a lot with two years left. Also he’d be a year away from classifying as homegrown. Think maybe then we could get 20-25m for him but again a tough ask if we are in the champ to get that fee for a midfielder(non goal scoring at that). 

Now if we were promoted this season or next and can get him a new contract upon promotion I think we could get 30-40m for him. Like I said he can be homegrown talent in 3 years and that ups the price some and assuming he keeps getting better and collects accolades in the French squads like winning tournaments and moving up to u21 then his price can rise. 

I think if we want max resale on any of our players we need promotion. For example I am not sure we’d have many suitors of Brownhill for 15m but a year in prem assuming he plays as well as he does now, I think he would fetch 15-20m if we went back down. 

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

People absolutely love to say things like 'Enjoy him whilst he's here'. I guess it's a coping mechanism really; getting the idea that he might be bough by another team out there early. Very small-time thing to say in my opinion, if we're a club with aspirations of playing in the Prem, why wouldn't he progress with us?

Do you think he'll play for City for his entire career or something? It's highly likely he'll move on at some point. 

6 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Even that's wrong, the 'no' is informing you you've misunderstood. Make sure you read things properly before trying to be clever - now get back to the naughty step which you've only just been let off after your views on Jay Dasilva

Image result for back of head slap gif

You quoted a question and then answered with "No"

I think you should take your own advice Phileas 

9 minutes ago, Sturny said:

You quoted a question and then answered with "No"

I think you should take your own advice Phileas 

There's nothing in this post which says I think he will play for us his entire career. If I really have to spell it out to you (which I probably do in fairness), it's a direct response to the number of people say 'enjoy him whilst he's here'. 

It's totally possible he will be gone very soon - January even. I was exploring why people are so eager to write that. It's happened for years when a player looks exceptional. I remember people saying it about Marvin Elliot in the November of 07/08. I think it's because some fans still see us as a small club who couldn't hold out to exceptional players - not a club with realistic aspirations of the Prem.

It's a legitimate thing to say - but I think people say it early, to get it out the way, as a sort of coping mechanism for the idea that the player will leave. I think the difference is with Massengo is that we now (whether that's this season or the next couple) look to have a genuine shot at promotion. So it's not an unrealistic idea to think he might hang on with us a little longer to play regular football and play in the Prem with us if we get there.

If you want to be reductive, then yes 'enjoy him whilst he's here' is a fair thing to say - but I wasn't arguing that, this is what you seem to have misunderstood. I was exploring why people like to say it so early. 

6 minutes ago, Sturny said:

You could, guess it carries more weight when it's a great player destined to move up and onwards 

That’s true too

Have to say I thoroughly enjoy watching HNM , I also enjoyed the brief glimpse of Nagy and his play ,  Williams wise defending and positioning , Kalas’s commitment and positioning , Taylor Moore’s improvement and development , Rowes attitude and professionalism , and Bentleys presence and keeper skills

So many different things to enjoy atm

8 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

There's nothing in this post which says I think he will play for us his entire career. If I really have to spell it out to you (which I probably do in fairness), it's a direct response to the number of people say 'enjoy him whilst he's here'. 

It's totally possible he will be gone very soon - January even. I was exploring why people are so eager to write that. It's happened for years when a player looks exceptional. I remember people saying it about Marvin Elliot in the November of 07/08. 

It's a legitimate thing to say - but I think people say it early, to get it out the way, as a sort of coping mechanism for the idea that the player will leave. I think the difference is with Massengo is that we now (whether that's this season or the next couple) look to have a genuine shot at promotion. So it's not an unrealistic idea to think he might hang on with us a little longer to play regular football and play in the Prem with us if we get there.

If you want to be reductive, then yes 'enjoy him whilst he's here' is a fair thing to say - but I wasn't arguing that, this is what you seem to have misunderstood. I was exploring why people like to say it so early. 

I'm aware of the point you were making, there's no need to be condescending about it... You're come across very defensive over this and I can see you're up for an argument ;) 

You've answered my first question in the bold, no need to get so shirty 

Archived