IGNORED

Massengo

Alan Dicks

3 minutes ago, Sturny said:

I'm aware of the point you were making, there's no need to be condescending about it... You're come across very defensive over this and I can see you're up for an argument ;) 

You've answered my first question in the bold, no need to get so shirty 

Ironically it's you who's attempting to be condescending because you realise you were barking up the wrong tree through actually misunderstanding the original point!

Seriously though, no i'm really not annoyed with you Sturny, I enjoyed searching for the head slapping gif to find the perfect one. I think the one I chose was quite good.

I don't take Otib that seriously to genuinely feel 'defensive' or 'shirty' about discussions on Bristol City with randoms over the internet. I actually accused someone of being 'shirty' on here the other week and was quite proud of it - glad to see you've also adopted it.

3 minutes ago, East End Old Boy said:

And over the years, there’s plenty I’ve been pleased to see the back of Bob! ?

Ain’t that the truth

For a sizeable Squad there’s no one I want to desperately see ‘out the door’ 

A few who I think we’ve outgrown or unlikely to contribute but no a***********s it would appear 

1 minute ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Ain’t that the truth

For a sizeable Squad there’s no one I want to desperately see ‘out the door’ 

A few who I think we’ve outgrown or unlikely to contribute but no a***********s it would appear 

Interesting comments from Johnson regarding Afobe, the player being the right person and player for the club.

There’s been a strong bond within the team in recent years, which adds to the their strengths, perhaps with the exception of Tomlin, so there’s a lot to the recruiting process.

21 hours ago, Alan Dicks said:

What will be his worth in 2 or 3 years time if he continues to improve?

My leeds mate laughed when i said 35 m.

Whats your thoughts?

Dunno mate ... according to some on here when we signed him, he was a MASSIVE RISK, cos he didnt know the culture.

I thought then as I do now, he would be great.

So going on the neighsayers, apparently about tuppence I would guess.

2 minutes ago, soultrader said:

Dunno mate ... according to some on here when we signed him, he was a MASSIVE RISK, cos he didnt know the culture.

Not sure many thought that.....I can only remember people being very happy.

6 minutes ago, soultrader said:

Not sure I noticed any saying he was a ‘massive risk’  (I’ll avoid using the capitals) and your post is a gross exaggeration, if not completely misleading

Find it Disappointing and a bit sad that you have a wild dig at  our supporters  unnecessarily and,  with little or nil foundation tbh  

We knew little about him so understandably people were shocked we were spending , what was reported then as £8m , on an 18 yr old

From my recollection most were either intrigued or excited 

On 26/08/2019 at 15:47, soultrader said:

Wow ... so seems quite good then?

After all the moaners on here who said he was a massive risk, cos he never lived in bristol and didnt know the culture 

(not aimed at you myol'man)

actually @soultrader 

For accuracy I did a check and only one poster has previously used the  ‘massive risk ‘ about Massengo

The post is above 

1 hour ago, JoeAman08 said:

Well if we are in the championship it won’t be the figures on here. Phillips at Leeds price was allegedly 25m. Not sure Massengo is at that level yet and probably won’t get to that price in a season but we have 3(?) years left on his deal. So we hold the power there. 

It is the summer after we may get max value. He’d have 2 years league experience and we can still ask for a lot with two years left. Also he’d be a year away from classifying as homegrown. Think maybe then we could get 20-25m for him but again a tough ask if we are in the champ to get that fee for a midfielder(non goal scoring at that). 

Now if we were promoted this season or next and can get him a new contract upon promotion I think we could get 30-40m for him. Like I said he can be homegrown talent in 3 years and that ups the price some and assuming he keeps getting better and collects accolades in the French squads like winning tournaments and moving up to u21 then his price can rise. 

I think if we want max resale on any of our players we need promotion. For example I am not sure we’d have many suitors of Brownhill for 15m but a year in prem assuming he plays as well as he does now, I think he would fetch 15-20m if we went back down. 

No, he’s not at Phillips’s level, but anyone buying him won’t be comparing him to Phillips, they’ll be comparing to players of the ilk of Fabregas, Modric, Ampadu (not just the hair), basically the technical midfielders of the Prem.  I’m not saying he’s the next Fabregas but he has similar playing characteristics and his value will be driven more my the Fabregas-potential than the Phillips-here-and-now.  All imho ?

9 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Not sure I noticed any saying he was a ‘massive risk’  (I’ll avoid using the capitals) and your post is a gross exaggeration, if not completely misleading

Find it Disappointing and a bit sad that you have a wild dig at  our supporters  unnecessarily and,  with little or nil foundation tbh  

We knew little about him so understandably people were shocked we were spending , what was reported then as £8m , on an 18 yr old

From my recollection most were either intrigued or excited 

There were quite a few posting that he was a big risk for multiple reasons, fee, age, gametime etc.  But if you spent 5 minutes watching youtube, which was less a highlight reel, more here’s everything he’s done far, you couldn’t fail to think “woah, this boy could be massive” (let alone his hair).

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

No, he’s not at Phillips’s level, but anyone buying him won’t be comparing him to Phillips, they’ll be comparing to players of the ilk of Fabregas, Modric, Ampadu (not just the hair), basically the technical midfielders of the Prem.  I’m not saying he’s the next Fabregas but he has similar playing characteristics and his value will be driven more my the Fabregas-potential than the Phillips-here-and-now.  All imho ?

There were quite a few posting that he was a big risk for multiple reasons, fee, age, gametime etc.  But if you spent 5 minutes watching youtube, which was less a highlight reel, more here’s everything he’s done far, you couldn’t fail to think “woah, this boy could be massive” (let alone his hair).

Search ‘Massengo’ & ‘risk’

Surprising Dave  !

16 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

Got a horrible feeling he might even go in Jan for a big fee (obviously )!

No ........ Really cannot see that happening, I can see him staying for the rest of this season and then the next, dependent on if we go up or not?  However this is all conjecture on my part, I just get the feeling that at 18 he would be happy to stay with us for a while until he moves on?  The only giant Musca in the liniment would be a pushy agent who is out for a payday?

I don't think it's small time to sell your players to a higher level for a massive profit and buy better players with the proceeds.

Its small time to think a player is so important you can't let them go and you'll never be able to replace them.

We have to move forward and sometimes that involves selling the best players, sounds counter productive I know but has been proven time and time again in both directions - Flint leaving, Kodge leaving, Marv staying, Smith staying.

We're also not likely to be able to attract players in the future if you don't let's the ones that can move up move on. Players that think they are good enough (pretty much all of them except the old timers on there way down) would see it as a dead end.

2 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

Well if we are in the championship it won’t be the figures on here. Phillips at Leeds price was allegedly 25m. Not sure Massengo is at that level yet and probably won’t get to that price in a season but we have 3(?) years left on his deal. So we hold the power there. 

It is the summer after we may get max value. He’d have 2 years league experience and we can still ask for a lot with two years left. Also he’d be a year away from classifying as homegrown. Think maybe then we could get 20-25m for him but again a tough ask if we are in the champ to get that fee for a midfielder(non goal scoring at that). 

Now if we were promoted this season or next and can get him a new contract upon promotion I think we could get 30-40m for him. Like I said he can be homegrown talent in 3 years and that ups the price some and assuming he keeps getting better and collects accolades in the French squads like winning tournaments and moving up to u21 then his price can rise. 

I think if we want max resale on any of our players we need promotion. For example I am not sure we’d have many suitors of Brownhill for 15m but a year in prem assuming he plays as well as he does now, I think he would fetch 15-20m if we went back down. 

A bit harsh to say he's "non-scoring"at this stage, to me he looks willing to shoot whenever he's in that position and I can see him scoring goals, once he's got the first of his career he'll be more relaxed.

I hope we can hold onto him for at least two seasons (or more if we get promoted), I've been watching City a long time and I think he's the most exciting young player we've had since Andy Cole 

5 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

'Enjoy him whilst he's here'. 

I think it's a fair point.  

I mean, you're * going to look a bit daft sporting a Messango wig down the Gate, if he no longer plays for City.

?

* (people in general, not you specifically Phileas)

4 hours ago, ashton_fan said:

A bit harsh to say he's "non-scoring"at this stage, to me he looks willing to shoot whenever he's in that position and I can see him scoring goals, once he's got the first of his career he'll be more relaxed.

I hope we can hold onto him for at least two seasons (or more if we get promoted), I've been watching City a long time and I think he's the most exciting young player we've had since Andy Cole 

Idk he just seems comfortable in that deeper role breaking up play and getting the passes forward quickly. He is calm enough to possibly be a goal scorer at some point but I am just not convinced he will be used further forward because he is so good at what he does now. 

He is a terrific talent and will probably be our first player sold for 30million plus yes.

However, he will be with us for a couple of season unless he wants to benchwarm in the Prem, he is a couple of seasons development off being that level yet and is still a bit of a rough gem. I can't see how people could be thinking he will be off in Jan, teams need players to improve their squads then and not players for the future. 

I hope young players can see the project we are building here so when Massengo does go in another couple of years there will already be an equally talented teenager in the ranks or joining to replace him. Hopefully when we are in the Prem too!

A very exciting time to be a city fan!

45 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Idk he just seems comfortable in that deeper role breaking up play and getting the passes forward quickly. He is calm enough to possibly be a goal scorer at some point but I am just not convinced he will be used further forward because he is so good at what he does now. 

yes, Kory Smith...hardly prolific .

4 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

Kante 

Scary to think how good Massengo can be in years to come. His fitness levels are crazy. I can see him being effective in any role in midfield defensive or attacking.

14 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

People absolutely love to say things like 'Enjoy him whilst he's here'. I guess it's a coping mechanism really; getting the idea that he might be bough by another team out there early. Very small-time thing to say in my opinion, if we're a club with aspirations of playing in the Prem, why wouldn't he progress with us?

Well seeing as kelly and webster were both flogged as quickly as reasonably possible just a few months ago, its not a rash guess that as soon as a decent offer comes in, that massengo will be out the door.

1 hour ago, Simon bristol said:

Well seeing as kelly and webster were both flogged as quickly as reasonably possible just a few months ago, its not a rash guess that as soon as a decent offer comes in, that massengo will be out the door.

Other than the fact they weren't, your post is spot on

5 hours ago, Simon bristol said:

As soon as an amazing offer comes in more like. Which is fair enough. We get silly money for one player, we then can afford to buy quality players.

18 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

actually @soultrader 

For accuracy I did a check and only one poster has previously used the  ‘massive risk ‘ about Massengo

The post is above 

OK .

Yes and their were people who posted he was a risk because he did not know the culture etc.

I'm not sure of the point being made?

Is what Ive said factually incorrect?

Have I offended you in some way?

4 minutes ago, soultrader said:

I was amazed that people viewed him as a risk, but each to their own.

Every new signing has an element risk , even more so if that player is foreign for obvious reasons,.

However Messengo has proved to be a rare talent and appears to settled in well here in Bristol. It obviously helps that he speaks English of course.

40 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

As soon as an amazing offer comes in more like. Which is fair enough. We get silly money for one player, we then can afford to buy quality players.

Yes we got huge money for kelly and webster. Everyone on here must know that if the right deal is offered then we will sell our player, but in this case someone didnt accept that was the case. Hence my post

Archived