IGNORED

Massengo

Alan Dicks

22 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

What he lacked was back up . When he won balls due to his tenacity there was rarely a team mate to take advantage.

Even despite that, he seemed to lack the boundless energy that he’s shown. 

In addition to that he just didn’t seem to have a role yesterday, he wasn’t playing a a a ball winning midfielder, or a box to box midfielder, or a playmaker. He needs to have a defined role which he just didn’t have

13 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

In addition to that he just didn’t seem to have a role yesterday, he wasn’t playing a a a ball winning midfielder, or a box to box midfielder, or a playmaker. He needs to have a defined role which he just didn’t have

Why should a player be restricted by what his ‘job title’ is? He’s a midfielder & should be able to perform all those roles if he’s capable of doing so.

To say he’s only in the team to do a specific role would restrict his influence on games. I didn’t get to see yesterday’s game but I’d suggest that he’s maybe allowed an off game in 10 at 18 years old in his first real taste of men’s professional football.

7 minutes ago, Tipps69 said:

Why should a player be restricted by what his ‘job title’ is? He’s a midfielder & should be able to perform all those roles if he’s capable of doing so.

To say he’s only in the team to do a specific role would restrict his influence on games. I didn’t get to see yesterday’s game but I’d suggest that he’s maybe allowed an off game in 10 at 18 years old in his first real taste of men’s professional football.

I totally agree he’s allowed an off day, and yesterday was certainly that. 

However, I think he does need a specific role in the team, one that allows him to play to his strengths

29 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

He tidied up the midfield, hassled the opponents, broke up play and kept the ball moving .

That is his role and he does it very well. However he can’t do it all on his own and yesterday he was let down by his teammates.

1 minute ago, Major Isewater said:

He tidied up the midfield, hassled the opponents, broke up play and kept the ball moving .

That is his role and he does it very well. However he can’t do it all on his own and yesterday he was let down by his teammates.

Did he do that though? 

Really, he was bullied yesterday, he rarely got the chance to properly hassle or tidy up the midfield as he was up against players who were too physically strong for him. That’s no bad on his part as he’s only 18 but it shows he still has plenty to learn. Yesterday was a big learning curve for him imo

5 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

I totally agree he’s allowed an off day, and yesterday was certainly that. 

However, I think he does need a specific role in the team, one that allows him to play to his strengths

As a counter, I’d suggest that Marlon Pack was given a specific role while here & that enabled him to stand in front of the back four & do very little offensive work for the team & that would leave the other central midfielder (Brownhill or Smith) having to do the work of two men & that left us often being overrun in midfield.

Massengo, Nagy, Brownhill & Smith are all adept with going box to box while doing their defensive work & influencing things going forward & since having let Pack leave our midfield has been a lot more energetic, maybe our injuries & only really having two options (Brownhill & Massengo) for the last month or so has caught up with us? In an ideal world Massengo probably wouldn’t of played as much as he has & we would of been able to freshen things up a bit more but circumstances are as they are & hopefully we will start to see the injured players coming back & us given a chance to take the strain off of some of the players?

I actually thought he was one of our best players yesterday although he seemed to be playing further forward than usual, he had some passes which went astray in the attacking half but was sound as ever when in his defensive role. I reckon LJ is experimenting with his role and it might take a bit of time to fine tune, he's only just turned 18 after all and is learning all the time.

5 hours ago, JBFC II said:

Did he do that though? 

Really, he was bullied yesterday, he rarely got the chance to properly hassle or tidy up the midfield as he was up against players who were too physically strong for him. That’s no bad on his part as he’s only 18 but it shows he still has plenty to learn. Yesterday was a big learning curve for him imo

I need to watch it again because I just remember frequently thinking 'more tidy work from Massengo'

8 hours ago, JBFC II said:

Watching on Robinstv yesterday I thought it seemed more 5122 at times, rather than 5212, and that Massengo played more in advance of Brownhill rather than more alongside him.  Whether that impacted his performance or not I don’t know.

22 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Watching on Robinstv yesterday I thought it seemed more 5122 at times, rather than 5212, and that Massengo played more in advance of Brownhill rather than more alongside him.  Whether that impacted his performance or not I don’t know.

Got any stats on him at all?

34 minutes ago, mozo said:

Got any stats on him at all?

51468600-F865-4F07-8034-345C4D25099A.thumb.jpeg.eac80dfe81dc7fb1b8a45e88b9adabbe.jpeg2F6A66CD-711D-4832-B44B-B53374AAE8A5.thumb.jpeg.274d1658e094ca8c1aef7ddee34c3d03.jpeg

For me it wasn’t what he did with the ball, which was perfectly okay (not brill, not crap either)...it was how Luton found holes, gaps , space, and the ability to run past us - not just the midfield either.  The centre of the pitch that we usually condense well, was open yesterday.

6 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

51468600-F865-4F07-8034-345C4D25099A.thumb.jpeg.eac80dfe81dc7fb1b8a45e88b9adabbe.jpeg2F6A66CD-711D-4832-B44B-B53374AAE8A5.thumb.jpeg.274d1658e094ca8c1aef7ddee34c3d03.jpeg

For me it wasn’t what he did with the ball, which was perfectly okay (not brill, not crap either)...it was how Luton found holes, gaps , space, and the ability to run past us - not just the midfield either.  The centre of the pitch that we usually condense well, was open yesterday.

Legend, thank you. 

Like I say, I need to see it again (shudder), but unconvinced to doubt my first impressions based the stats.

I think like all 18 year olds. They run on boundless energy, until they drop. You would normally look to nurture them, and save their batteries.

Massengo has been wonderful; but the last couple of games he has looked as if he needs a rest. Who to bring in though?

13 minutes ago, mozo said:

Legend, thank you. 

Like I say, I need to see it again (shudder), but unconvinced to doubt my first impressions based the stats.

Individually quite a lot of our players were fine....but we didn’t play as a team yesterday.

Moore and Bentley were the pick for me.  

17 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Individually quite a lot of our players were fine....but we didn’t play as a team yesterday.

Moore and Bentley were the pick for me.  

Moore and Bentley have been impressive all season so far.

22 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

22 hours ago, JBFC II said:

Did he do that though? 

Really, he was bullied yesterday, he rarely got the chance to properly hassle or tidy up the midfield as he was up against players who were too physically strong for him. That’s no bad on his part as he’s only 18 but it shows he still has plenty to learn. Yesterday was a big learning curve for him imo.

Think you both make valid points, probably was his weakest performance so far. However same could be said about several of his much more experienced team mates, who are the ones that should be stepping up when it gets tough... Brownhill, Weimann & Palmer all put in their worst display's of the season. 

Archived