IGNORED

Pedro Pereira

Davefevs

7 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Might’ve been a very late tactical change with Baker pulling out 20 minutes before the teamsheet put in.

On Baker, I can't see him getting back in any time soon. Kalas returning, Williams been very solid, Moore outstanding on Saturday and a ball playing centre back. I think Baker is behind them at the moment.

14 hours ago, Davefevs said:

We do have an option to buy.

Allegedly (from @Olé I think) Genoa were asked by Benfica to pay €4.5m in the summer to take him permanently, but declined, so that figure is too high.  Perhaps somewhere around the €3m mark....guesswork on my part.  Now a Portugese u21 International, so well thought of.

Presume he has the option too Dave He will need to be a regular I think before committing to us so an interesting conundrum for LJ 

3 hours ago, mozo said:

Has there been confirmation of why he played?

Is it just because LJ sees him as a better option in a flat four, or did Hunt have a knock?

Rotation I would guess to freshen things up and it did no harm. It’s just a shame we didn’t have that option in the Centre Midfield area. No criticism of Brownhill or Massengo at all. They gave it their all but we’re just 10% down on their usual standards (Massengo having ridiculously high standards for an 18 year old kid tbf).

4 hours ago, mozo said:

Has there been confirmation of why he played?

Is it just because LJ sees him as a better option in a flat four, or did Hunt have a knock?

Maybe starting with a back 4 influenced it too? 

I’m not entirely sure which of Hunt and Pereira is the better defender and which better going forward.

Bur certainly at Brentford for all that Hunt excelled going forward, he had a bit of a mare defensively, second half particularly. 

The switch to a back 4, and with Eliasson starting, it was going to be defensive qualities we needed from our RB. 

Thought he had a great game. 

7 minutes ago, italian dave said:

Maybe starting with a back 4 influenced it too? 

I’m not entirely sure which of Hunt and Pereira is the better defender and which better going forward.

Bur certainly at Brentford for all that Hunt excelled going forward, he had a bit of a mare defensively, second half particularly. 

The switch to a back 4, and with Eliasson starting, it was going to be defensive qualities we needed from our RB. 

Thought he had a great game. 

Think you may be right

I thought we’d stick with 3 x CHs and think that Bakers illness and absence meant a swap Pedro in for Hunt

Did a fine job 

Having heard LJ talk about Baker’s “puking” (his words!), you wonder whether it was a late change to 442, and several other changes as a result.  Might’ve been going 5212, suddenly Palmer left out too, Hunt replaced by Pereira, etc.

Jack Hunt has been awesome this season. He has IMO won us games with his bravery and crosses. I'm surprised and delighted by how he's doing.

Last season however he got targeted over and over on diagonal balls and absolutely annihilated by pacy wingers. Every attack seemed to come down that side!

Bringing in a more athletic and defensively better right back was a priority for me. Pereira fits what I wanted exactly from what we've seen. Hope he stays. Good identification and fix of a clear problem.

I compare Hunt and Pereira in the same way I view Bryan and Dasilva. Both are very effective championship players, only one has true Premier League potential, and that's our aim.

Very early to say this but I see LJ making him a centre back in the future. I don't just mean in a 3, but in a 2.

He looks big, quick and strong. We didn't see him dribbling much on Saturday, but on YouTube he shows he can run with the ball. Could he one day be our Portuguese version of Adam Webster? 

At 21 and so far looking comfortable at defending, I don't see why he can't move inside. Good to be able to play in different positions. The more versatile players we have means the smaller squad we need.

Of course he is a right back and hope him and Hunt keep pushing each other. Great competition at right back now.

3 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Very early to say this but I see LJ making him a centre back in the future. I don't just mean in a 3, but in a 2.

He looks big, quick and strong. We didn't see him dribbling much on Saturday, but on YouTube he shows he can run with the ball. Could he one day be our Portuguese version of Adam Webster? 

At 21 and so far looking comfortable at defending, I don't see why he can't move inside. Good to be able to play in different positions. The more versatile players we have means the smaller squad we need.

Of course he is a right back and hope he him and Hunt keep pushing each other. Great competition at right back now.

Not sure I can see that one happening.

It's believable that he'd be a good ball playing defender but would he be able to cope with all the aerial challenges and the strength that's required? He also may not even want to be CB even if LJ wants him to be. 

Wouldn't be unlike LJ to change a players position for the better though ?

8 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Of course he is a right back and hope he him and Hunt keep pushing each other. Great competition at right back now.

You do love the thought of a player playing in a new position don’t you! ???

11 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

You do love the thought of a player playing in a new position don’t you! ???

Well he can play centre back already going by Saturday, in a 3 at least!

56 minutes ago, Sturny said:

Not sure I can see that one happening.

It's believable that he'd be a good ball playing defender but would he be able to cope with all the aerial challenges and the strength that's required? He also may not even want to be CB even if LJ wants him to be. 

Wouldn't be unlike LJ to change a players position for the better though ?

He looks pretty big to me, especially for a 21 year old. Decent height at 6 ft 1, looks like he has some strength on him. I'd be surprised if LJ is not looking at it in training.

20 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

He looks pretty big to me, especially for a 21 year old. Decent height at 6 ft 1, looks like he has some strength on him. I'd be surprised if LJ is not looking at it in training.

He doesn’t look 6’1’, because he’s quite sturdy....but when he stands alongside someone you realise he a bit taller than he looks.

6 hours ago, JonDolman said:

On Baker, I can't see him getting back in any time soon. Kalas returning, Williams been very solid, Moore outstanding on Saturday and a ball playing centre back. I think Baker is behind them at the moment.

Baker is having a good season

Archived