IGNORED

New Substitution Rule (merged)

elhombrecito

Glentoran forward Darren Murray was sent off after ignoring the referee's instruction to leave the pitch at the nearest point on being substituted.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/49960000

I personally can't remember a single instance of a referee enforcing this rule in a City match this year - pretty certain that every single substitution has taken place on the half way line as per previous years? :dunno:

2 minutes ago, Red7 said:

Is the substitute still allowed to come on in this instance, given that the player who received the red card had already effectively been withdrawn from the game?

Maybe they aren’t technically withdrawn until they leave the pitch. Which is why the replacement always has to wait to come on. 

I think the new rule has removed the incentive for players to slink over to the far side prior to being subbed, so maybe the rule itself is working and is the reason we haven’t seen players being told to leave on the Dolman side for example?

3 minutes ago, italian dave said:

Maybe they aren’t technically withdrawn until they leave the pitch. Which is why the replacement always has to wait to come on. 

I think the new rule has removed the incentive for players to slink over to the far side prior to being subbed, so maybe the rule itself is working and is the reason we haven’t seen players being told to leave on the Dolman side for example?

Didnt O'Dowda walk from the other side of the pitch when he came off??

6 minutes ago, Riaz said:

Didnt O'Dowda walk from the other side of the pitch when he came off??

Yes, and slowly, very slowly until he decided to jog but not much quicker. I’ve noticed the rule doesn’t seem to have been introduced either home or away too.

Stupid rule anyway. It means the player coming off then wanders slowly round the edge of the pitch in full kit confusing everyone on the pitch including the officials. When a substitution takes place just stop the clock ffs. Doesn't matter how slow he walks off then.

2 minutes ago, marmite said:

Stupid rule anyway. It means the player coming off then wanders slowly round the edge of the pitch in full kit confusing everyone on the pitch including the officials. When a substitution takes place just stop the clock ffs. Doesn't matter how slow he walks off then.

Eliasson got confused by the subs running up and down the touch line on Saturday, with the ball going out for a throw in as he passed to one of them instead of a teammate. Easily done I suppose when you quickly see a bit of a red shirt and assume it’s one if your own team on the pitch. Surprised it hasn’t happened more often.

8 minutes ago, marmite said:

Talking of which, did one of our players (possibly Massengo?) play a great crossfield pass in the 2nd half on Saturday only for it to turn out that he had aimed at the subs warming up and we had nobody anywhere near the ball?

edit - @Dr Balls beat me to it and it was Eliasson!

1 hour ago, Big C said:

He's an idiot because the ref is clearly telling him to go off on the nearest side. He's doubly an idiot because this rule was bought in mainly to prevent time wasting and his side were losing at the time

No they weren't.

It was 0-0 at the time, they did lose though. I guess having ten men couldnt have helped.

• The title was changed to New Substitution Rule (merged)

Archived