IGNORED

Amusing comments on Pulis

QuedgeRed

15 hours ago, Riaz said:

Well yes, but if they have the “just a job” mentality, they still need to do well to progress in there career

Danny Rose has recently said he doesn’t really like football and it is just a job to him. And if he didn’t like where he was sent to work, it’s not too hard to see why he wouldn’t put in the level of effort required to make a success of the job. Caulker on the other hand loved playing but has been so sadly undone by other demons, when he clearly had the talent.

13 minutes ago, Dr Balls said:

Danny Rose has recently said he doesn’t really like football and it is just a job to him. And if he didn’t like where he was sent to work, it’s not too hard to see why he wouldn’t put in the level of effort required to make a success of the job. Caulker on the other hand loved playing but has been so sadly undone by other demons, when he clearly had the talent.

Totally missing my point that you quoted. If its just a job, then he still needs to do well to further his career. Not trying, could potentially affect his future earnings!

19 hours ago, Robbored said:

To some footballers it’s simply a job and like all of us if we don’t like the our work environment then we are unlikely to do our best.

That certainly applies to some players and one was Rose  and it’s so ‘ridiculous’ to think otherwise that it doesn’t apply to some other players as well.

I bought the book about the 4 seasons in the top division directly from David Woods, and he told me that keeper John Shaw hated football then and now, and for a long time wanted no input into the book. He hated the game but I still remember him giving 100% every time.

19 hours ago, Riaz said:

Maybe subconsciously. But no one benefits from not playing well. Football is highly competitive and there’s always someone willing to take your place 

This is a fair point in theory but it seems a bit naive - there’s so many examples of players not giving the same level of effort in different situations. Otherwise everyone would be at the top of their game, fitness permitting, all the time.

It might be down to something more than complacency, confidence or something else but there’s overwhelming evidence that it happens regularly.

As for people making sure they progress their careers... What about Ravel Morrison? It’s a real shame he’s never got anywhere near his potential, but it’s not down to anyone else except him for not taking his opportunities.

1 hour ago, The Horse With No Name said:

I bought the book about the 4 seasons in the top division directly from David Woods, and he told me that keeper John Shaw hated football then and now, and for a long time wanted no input into the book. He hated the game but I still remember him giving 100% every time.

Possibly similar to a comment by a Model Railway shop owner.

"When your hobby becomes your job, it loses it's attraction."

3 hours ago, The Horse With No Name said:

And what’s your point?

Archived