IGNORED

Saikou Janneh

Lew-T

Do we feel this lad can make an impact and bolster our pretty blunt attack when he’s back fit? Have seen that he’s training with the likes of Smith and Kalas at present so maybe not too far away from being fit.

For those that have seen him, is he ready to challenge the likes of Diedhiou and Weimann? It’s good to see Semenyo involved and whilst he’s not started off well, I think he has been harshly treated on here. Give the lad time to adapt and see how he does.

Hopefully when Janneh is fully fit, he can give us another option. I’ve heard good things.

3 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

Do we feel this lad can make an impact and bolster our pretty blunt attack when he’s back fit? Have seen that he’s training with the likes of Smith and Kalas at present so maybe not too far away from being fit.

For those that have seen him, is he ready to challenge the likes of Diedhiou and Weimann? It’s good to see Semenyo involved and whilst he’s not started off well, I think he has been harshly treated on here. Give the lad time to adapt and see how he does.

Hopefully when Janneh is fully fit, he can give us another option. I’ve heard good things.

I’ve heard he will be heading out on loan when he is fit again. 

3 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

Sounds like he is off to Torquay till January

16 minutes ago, RedDave said:

I’ve heard he will be heading out on loan when he is fit again. 

16 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Sounds like he is off to Torquay till January

If LJ has any thoughts that he might play him, then with potential injuries, I’d keep him here.

If LJ thinks he isn’t gonna pick him in whatever circumstance then send him on loan.

I think it would totally send the wrong message out to Semenyo, LJ’s job now is to try & give Semenyo his confidence back not knock him back even further & that is exactly what will happen if Janneh gets put in ahead of him after only 2 or 3 starts.

I would much rather we gave our one senior striker the run in the team & allow Semenyo game time from the bench, let Janneh go out on loan & build his match fitness up elsewhere & then review things in January.

We have a lot of youngsters & unexperienced players in & around the first team, we need to keep the experienced players in there right now, now isn’t the time to experiment even more IMO.

I would imagine Diedhiou, Weimann, Semenyo and Watkins all above him, and probably Szmodics too as a striker.

If that is the case then send him to Torquay till January, then assuming he is doing well then recall and send to Doncaster in league one if they are still interested.

6 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

No disrespect to Torquay but if he’s going out on loan, I would expect him to go out to League 2 at the very least.

He can’t go to EFL club until January window opens....Torquay would be a short term loan at the highest level possible available at this point in time.

He did exceptionally well in the pre-season friendlies.  He's more of an instinctive, physical and direct goal scoring forward and 'under-study' for Diedhiou than Semenyo. No doubt he would benefit from a league 1 or 2 loan but, given that's not possible, I would love to see him on the bench and given some sub appearances.  

I think Semenyo would also benefit from a league 1 loan and it's no criticism of him to say that Janneh is more suited of the two to provide competition for Famara given his playing style and strengths in the the box. He's already shown he can bang in the goals at Conference level (about 17 in 34 games I think) and our injuries mean it's an ideal opportunity for him to stick around. 

I think Semenyo is better out wide and he is down the pecking order in that position at this stage of his career.  I think Steve Lansdown was influential in his recall and perhaps the fact that Chelsea were interested means SL thought we needed to give him an opportunity rather than lose him.

1 hour ago, Lew-T said:

Going down with daddy Torquay.

Torquay until Jan to get fit, he hits the ground running and bags plenty of goals then back to us for a couple of weeks training to see if he can be any use to us in the run in if we can't find another striker ourselves in the window.

If we find a striker early doors then he goes straight to a league club on loan. Preferably league 1 but his torquay form will play a role in that. 

1 hour ago, Lew-T said:

I saw him at the pre season friendly against Wimbledon, which is probably not the best game to form a judgement, but he did not look strong enough, yet, to challenge for a first team place.

One for the future

53 minutes ago, bcfcnick said:

He did exceptionally well in the pre-season friendlies.  He's more of an instinctive, physical and direct goal scoring forward and 'under-study' for Diedhiou than Semenyo. No doubt he would benefit from a league 1 or 2 loan but, given that's not possible, I would love to see him on the bench and given some sub appearances.  

I think Semenyo would also benefit from a league 1 loan and it's no criticism of him to say that Janneh is more suited of the two to provide competition for Famara given his playing style and strengths in the the box. He's already shown he can bang in the goals at Conference level (about 17 in 34 games I think) and our injuries mean it's an ideal opportunity for him to stick around. 

I think Semenyo is better out wide and he is down the pecking order in that position at this stage of his career.  I think Steve Lansdown was influential in his recall and perhaps the fact that Chelsea were interested means SL thought we needed to give him an opportunity rather than lose him.

I agree Semenyo is probably better wide at this moment in time. But I see his long term future being a central striker.

Janneh will actually be playing a league higher as last season he was in national league south, not Conference.

I didn't see his preseason. But saw plenty of him of pretty long highlights of Torquay games last season. Very excited about him.

Not sure he will ever be as strong as Diedhiou or as good in the air. But certainly a fox in the box and much better movement. Some of the goals he scored were real top class finishes. 

For his age he does look pretty strong but will definitely need to bulk up a lot to be ready to be our number 9 imo.

1 hour ago, bcfcnick said:

Janneh’s loan last season was Conference South, not conference.

Janneh strikes me as an instinctive player, I don’t see much similarity with Diedhiou personally.  

51 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Janneh’s loan last season was Conference South, not conference.

Janneh strikes me as an instinctive player, I don’t see much similarity with Diedhiou personally.  

No, he was in the National League South if we want to play 'pedantry' Dave,  but if you abbreviated it to 'National League' it would still be accurate in the same way as it's accurate to say  Sunderland and Stevenage are in the 'Football League'.

I've only seen Janneh in a couple of friendlies but he seems more of a goal threat and has a more instinctive eye for goal than Antoine, so it's on that basis that I think he's better suited to providing competition to Famara as opposed to being similar players.  We are looking for another goal scorer from the out of contract market but, who knows, we might already have one who would be available soon.  

47 minutes ago, bcfcnick said:

No, he was in the National League South if we want to play 'pedantry' Dave,  but if you abbreviated it to 'National League' it would still be accurate in the same way as it's accurate to say  Sunderland and Stevenage are in the 'Football League'.

I've only seen Janneh in a couple of friendlies but he seems more of a goal threat and has a more instinctive eye for goal than Antoine, so it's on that basis that I think he's better suited to providing competition to Famara as opposed to being similar players.  We are looking for another goal scorer from the out of contract market but, who knows, we might already have one who would be available soon.  

Ah, got you. On both bits. Makes sense now. Ta

3 hours ago, JonDolman said:

I agree Semenyo is probably better wide at this moment in time. But I see his long term future being a central striker.

Janneh will actually be playing a league higher as last season he was in national league south, not Conference.

I didn't see his preseason. But saw plenty of him of pretty long highlights of Torquay games last season. Very excited about him.

Not sure he will ever be as strong as Diedhiou or as good in the air. But certainly a fox in the box and much better movement. Some of the goals he scored were real top class finishes. 

For his age he does look pretty strong but will definitely need to bulk up a lot to be ready to be our number 9 imo.

I personally still think Semenyo's eventual preferred position is still in the balance.

If it turns out that he doesn't have the killer instinct of a striker, he may yet be pushed out wide.

Look at Rashford. Undeniably talented and has a shot on him, but no one really knows if he can bag the goals up top, or if he'll end up as a wide forward in a 3.

On the flip side, you've got Mane at Liverpool, who despite being more suited to being the wide forward in a three, is still a goal threat in every game.

Maybe this says more about the teams than the men, but there are undeniably attacking players out there who just don't suit the central role for whatever reason.

I have a suspicion that Semenyo might prefer to cut infield and cause havoc in a slightly deeper role as opposed to playing on the shoulder or holding it up.

11 hours ago, Kingswoodactor said:

Swear MacGregor Gregor face said that Janneh was heading to Doncaster on loan before he injured his knee badly. So league 1 was obviously our aim for him in the Summer if that’s true!

It was reported by Donny as well , if I recall correctly but he can’t be loaned out to a league club outside the transfer window so playing decent non-league to get fit and sharp for January seems a good idea. 

Archived