IGNORED

Are we ready for the Prem?

Sturny

Surprised by the off the pitch comments. 

Firstly our training ground is under construction so that will take a while to come online and have everything integrated. 

Doubts remain about our fitness and scouting departments. 

We don't have a active SLO.

We have a small club shop, some of this year's merchandise is out of stock, we have a piss poor kit quality this year that went on sale late.

Those are just the things off the top of my head.

Off the pitch we have been a league one club playing in the Championship for the last few years. We are now pretty much a Championship club on and off of the pitch, let's not run before we can walk. We are not yet premier League football ready on and off the pitch. We are taking steps to get there but not quite there yet.

18 hours ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

The impact our injuries have had on our campaign this season so far should act as a warning. I think we have been fortunate to be in the league position we are currently after losing Afobe - in a league where any of the top 10 teams could be right up there after one game. 

The Prem is merciless and we simply wouldn’t be able to cope with injuries with the current squad. We almost need 2 first team quality squads to be able to survive up there. 

I really thought with our summer dealings that we had a realistic chance of making top 2 - then the injury curse came along and wiped out arguably our most influential players. 

Of course, there is a lot of season still left to be played and another transfer window, so anything can still happen, but to respond to the OP; not without significant investment in the squad - and I don’t mean that the current first team are crap before anyone accuses me - I mean we would need to be able to cover injuries and bans better than we currently can to have a realistic chance of staying up, if we did get there. 

I'd say the Championship is more merciless than the Premier League tbh. 

Remember the Premier League has 8 less games than the Championship so much less Saturday-Tuesday games. Much longer recovery periods between games.

On 09/10/2019 at 16:19, Loon plage said:

With what we have at present I don't think we would fare too well if we went up, so whilst we are improving squadwise we are still a little short of quality.

.Nobody knows how much we would spend on new recruits, and who they would be?  If you are talking about our present side, your probably correct. but I think our line up in the Prem would be quite a bit different to our current Championship side.

20 minutes ago, maxjak said:

.Nobody knows how much we would spend on new recruits, and who they would be?  If you are talking about our present side, your probably correct. but I think our line up in the Prem would be quite a bit different to our current Championship side.

Probably right, so answering the OP we aren't ready for the Prem as things stand.

As others have said, is anyone ever ready?
Fulham go up with one of the best Championship sides for ages, where I was thinking a couple of additions would keep them up, they spend £150m on a whole new team and crashed and burned. I don't think Bournemouth, Huddersfield and Watford spent massively and managed to cope. Sheff U have spent little and look like they will stay up, or at least have a chance, Villa have looked very average and have spent nearly £150m. 
Only guess work but I imagine we would try adding a bit of quality, rather than wholesale changes, and then you're relying on the scouts and recruitment team to be on top of their game. 

I guess it doesn’t matter if the squad is or isn’t, until we claim promotion.  The current squad isn’t ready imho, but the club is, e.g. ground is fine, not burdened with debt (only to SL).  You can improve the squad with astute recruitment....but also don’t go mad either, in case you do come back down and have to “go again”.

In the main we have a youngish squad who have room to improve.  Couple that an appropriate number of upgrades and you have a chance.

But, I’ll worry more about the answer to this Q in May. ?

On 09/10/2019 at 11:47, OneTeamInBristol said:

Club wise - very ready.

Pitch wise - not quite but close.

Our performances and players are much more experienced and skilled. We can see out games professionally now which we never seemed to be able to do in recent seasons (the 3-3's at Derby and Sunderland at home).

Overall on a player by player basis think we are much more impressive than other seasons where we went close.

Maybe 1 or 2 super talented attackers away from being recognised as a favourite for automatics imo.

Other than 2008 we've never been "close"

Archived