Jump to content

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

daored

Another manager gone

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, daored said:

Reading have sacked their manager Jose Gomes after 10 months in charge 

Slightly harsh after Saturday when they certainly deserved something.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was wondering where Lee stands now, 9th.  I'm surprised to see that Pochettino has been at Spurs that long.

 

Name Nat. Date of birth Club Division Appointed Time as manager Source
Jim Bentley 23px-Flag_of_England.svg.png ENG 11 June 1976 Morecambe League Two 13 May 2011 8 years, 148 days [2]
Gareth Ainsworth 23px-Flag_of_England.svg.png ENG 10 May 1973 Wycombe Wanderers League One 24 September 2012[N 1] 7 years, 14 days [3][4]
Eddie Howe 23px-Flag_of_England.svg.png ENG 29 November 1977 Bournemouth Premier League 12 October 2012 6 years, 360 days [5]
Sean Dyche 23px-Flag_of_England.svg.png ENG 28 June 1971 Burnley Premier League 30 October 2012 6 years, 343 days [6]
Mauricio Pochettino 23px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png ARG 2 March 1972 Tottenham Hotspur Premier League 27 May 2014 5 years, 134 days [7]
John Coleman 23px-Flag_of_England.svg.png ENG 12 October 1962 Accrington Stanley League One 18 September 2014 5 years, 20 days [8]
Jürgen Klopp 23px-Flag_of_Germany.svg.png GER 16 June 1967 Liverpool Premier League 8 October 2015 4 years, 0 days [9]
Nigel Clough 23px-Flag_of_England.svg.png ENG 19 March 1966 Burton Albion League One 7 December 2015 3 years, 305 days [10]
Lee Johnson 23px-Flag_of_England.svg.png ENG 7 June 1981 Bristol City Championship 6 February 2016[N 2] 3 years, 244 days [11]

 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_English_Football_League_managers

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

9th longest serving manager in the 92 and the longest in the Championship??

Shows how short termist our football is getting now- shows how well run we are too.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

I was wondering where Lee stands now, 9th.  I'm surprised to see that Pochettino has been at Spurs that long.

 

Name Nat. Date of birth Club Division Appointed Time as manager Source
Jim Bentley 23px-Flag_of_England.svg.png ENG 11 June 1976 Morecambe League Two 13 May 2011 8 years, 148 days [2]
Gareth Ainsworth 23px-Flag_of_England.svg.png ENG 10 May 1973 Wycombe Wanderers League One 24 September 2012[N 1] 7 years, 14 days [3][4]
Eddie Howe 23px-Flag_of_England.svg.png ENG 29 November 1977 Bournemouth Premier League 12 October 2012 6 years, 360 days [5]
Sean Dyche 23px-Flag_of_England.svg.png ENG 28 June 1971 Burnley Premier League 30 October 2012 6 years, 343 days [6]
Mauricio Pochettino 23px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png ARG 2 March 1972 Tottenham Hotspur Premier League 27 May 2014 5 years, 134 days [7]
John Coleman 23px-Flag_of_England.svg.png ENG 12 October 1962 Accrington Stanley League One 18 September 2014 5 years, 20 days [8]
Jürgen Klopp 23px-Flag_of_Germany.svg.png GER 16 June 1967 Liverpool Premier League 8 October 2015 4 years, 0 days [9]
Nigel Clough 23px-Flag_of_England.svg.png ENG 19 March 1966 Burton Albion League One 7 December 2015 3 years, 305 days [10]
Lee Johnson 23px-Flag_of_England.svg.png ENG 7 June 1981 Bristol City Championship 6 February 2016[N 2] 3 years, 244 days [11]

 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_English_Football_League_managers

I can only see him moving one place up to eighth as it looks like Pocchetino is on pretty thin ice at the moment. The others seem fairly comfortable unless someone like Clough or Ainsworth get poached or Burnley decide they fancy a change.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After a week of managerial sackings. It makes you wonder if he would still be in a job at 90% of the club's in the Championship.

Fair play to him. He's learnt and evolved. 

I was one of many that wanted him gone. I was wrong, and will be the first to admit it.

 
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

9th longest serving manager in the 92 and the longest in the Championship??

Shows how short termist our football is getting now- shows how well run we are too.

10th youngest in the 92 as well!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, redsince1994 said:

10th youngest in the 92 as well!

And only one loss away from some no-mark claiming he 'doesn't have Championship experience'*.

*who was probably the same person who would often claim that SL had 'no football experience', despite being involved with the professional game for what is it now? 20 years or so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

First person to suggest it's an employment opportunity for one of our former managers gets a negative!

 

Job for Osman?

  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do wonder with the likes of Millwall, Barnsley and Reading how much realism there is amongst supporters and owners. Not so sure on Reading but the other two at least must be very close to the bottom of the heap when it comes to budgets and resources. It feels like Reading had expectations raised by their 2017 play-off final appearance and Millwall by the end of the 2017/2018 season but ultimately it is very hard to find a manager who can defy gravity for long and they are all teams you would expect to find hovering toward the bottom of the table, no matter who was in charge...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Burnley & Bournemouth both "small" clubs by Prem standards, but they've kept faith in the Managers and have survived.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Eddie Hitler said:

I was wondering where Lee stands now, 9th.  I'm surprised to see that Pochettino has been at Spurs that long.

 

 

 

Start date is certainly a surprise - lack of an end date even more so?!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought Reading played really well Saturday and when we played the around Easter.

Falling into the bottom 3 obviously pushed their newish owners over the edge.

Although at many times I may have been in the Johnson out camp I’m a humble pie man and glad that Mr Lansdown has shown the patience and that the plan seems to be working.

I want to see super lee top of the chart for longevity in football management because it would probably mean that we finally did get to the premier league🤞

Cmon ureds

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Super said:

Slightly harsh after Saturday when they certainly deserved something.

Ultimately its a result business but few owners are as visionary as SL. He could have sacked LJ after the run of poor results which left us in/out of the Championship drop zone but despite vociferous calls for the managers head SL stuck to his stability strategy and  refused to weald the axe.

Because of that decision LJ has had time to stabilise the playing side with his own players, established his ow assistants and backroom team and made season on season progress.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I still dont know if lj will ever take us up, but over the years ive come to have a lot if respect for his ability to get the most out of our squad, while having to deal with his best players sold.

our start to the season despite the injuries is near miraculous, after selling 2 of our best players as well, and thats a credit to his hardwork and the spirit hes developed.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Red DNA said:

Word on the street here close to Reading is that Mark Hughes is being lined up for the job....

Mark Bowen is Sporting Director there now and the 2 of them have worked together for years.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

First person to suggest it's an employment opportunity for one of our former managers gets a negative!

 

Job for Gerrard Lavin ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

First person to suggest it's an employment opportunity for one of our former managers gets a negative!

 

"Job for Cotts" would actually make a good user name on here

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

I can only see him moving one place up to eighth as it looks like Pocchetino is on pretty thin ice at the moment. The others seem fairly comfortable unless someone like Clough or Ainsworth get poached or Burnley decide they fancy a change.

2 places...Poch leaves Spurs, Eddie Howe takes over.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There was a little piece on SSN & while not directly to the Reading vacant position, it was mentioned about Gary Rowett being linked to the Sunderland job but apparently despite him liking Sunderland as a football club, he see’s himself as better than a League One manager! I would suggest that being a League One one manager would be better than being unemployed although he is supposedly the front runner for the Millwall job.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Tipps69 said:

There was a little piece on SSN & while not directly to the Reading vacant position, it was mentioned about Gary Rowett being linked to the Sunderland job but apparently despite him liking Sunderland as a football club, he see’s himself as better than a League One manager! I would suggest that being a League One one manager would be better than being unemployed although he is supposedly the front runner for the Millwall job.

He's probably still being paid by Stoke, therefore he's in no hurry.

  • Hmmm 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Sir Geoff said:

2 places...Poch leaves Spurs, Eddie Howe takes over.

Exactly the sort of move that Spurs would make if/when Poch goes.

Could be a bit like Moyes to Man Utd though in that respect, great success with an unfancied team, but expectation to great to actually accomplish something?

Surprised Howe isn't talked about more to be fair when it comes to jobs in the top league...

Edited by Taz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

9th longest serving manager in the 92 and the longest in the Championship??

Shows how short termist our football is getting now- shows how well run we are too.

Compare that to Alan Dicks 13 years in the Ashton Gate hot seat...  those were the days my friend, we thought they'd never end...  

LJ has some time to go, but probably for the first time since those 70's days under Dicks it actually feels like we aren't too far off achieving  something special...   World of difference to the football supporting World of the past (we loved 'em) & todays corporate business version though.. The loyalties remain the same albeit a bit more onesided nowadays (wheres our SLO eh? btw 🤔 ) we didn't feel so much like 'custoners' then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Red-Robbo said:

Well we didn't win a lot under him, but it wasn't quite that bad... :whistle: ;)

It certainly bloody felt like it!  He gave us the Liverpool win, but even so....  Was it the Millwall match where he got booed for bringing himself on for Jackie?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, FrozenRobin said:

No way.

Edited by Olé
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...