IGNORED

A Cider With: Jonathan Pearce

Shtanley

4 hours ago, RedDave said:

He puts a lot of his career down to luck but the phrase ‘you make your own luck’ can never be better used than it can for him. Sounded like he showed a lot of tenacity to get where he has. 

So true...I always use the comment by the Golfer Gary Player, in response to being lucky..' the harder I work, the luckier I get'...so true.

You've got to make your own luck with hard work.

As a side note... I'm surprised by so many not knowing about Jonathan Pearce's history with us. Thought it was common knowledge

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Got to hand it to you @Shtanley, you really you have a good technique for these interviews....so easy to listen to.

Looking forward to the next one.

Eat your heart out Mrs Merton. ?

The talent is knowing when not to talk...let the interviewee speak, just lead the questions and shut up 

So many interviewers are too fond of their own voice. Stan has it spot on.

Also thought JPs thoughts on going for it were insightful...as in if we are in the mix come January, then spend...not just 4_5 £ million. Said the likes of Bournemouth doing that impossible now.

Think we need to get some movement going or something for the Ashton Gate 8. How can we have a statue of Atyeo but not of those who saved our club? Pearce really does nail home how close we came, these guys need to be remembered forever. And he's right, if we ALL chip in £1, we can get a statue and remember them properly. 

5 minutes ago, Akira said:

Think we need to get some movement going or something for the Ashton Gate 8. How can we have a statue of Atyeo but not of those who saved our club? Pearce really does nail home how close we came, these guys need to be remembered forever. And he's right, if we ALL chip in £1, we can get a statue and remember them properly. 

There is the plaque on the back of the Atyeo. Not sure how comfortable I feel about it being on what is now the away end - think I'd support the idea of it being relocated to the South Stand/Dolman concourse. From the SC&T page it doesn't look as though thee are any current plans to expand on this. 

Edit: just seen this line "which is currently being relocated from the wall outside the away end to the Supporters Bar." did this happen? I don't remember seeing it up at the home end.

AG8-plaque-unveiling-800-x-300-800x300.jpg

https://www.bristolcitysupporters.org/heritage/

There was a great night for the Ashton Gate 8 a few years ago now and JP was the compere. You could tell the passion he had for City then - and especially the AG8. It was before my time but it was a cracking evening to learn about the history of our club and what those blokes did and to have someone of his ilk running it was great - really brought it home with his knowledge and genuine feeling. Spoke to him afterwards as well and he came across as a genuinely lovely bloke as well as evidently very good at his job. 

12 hours ago, lenred said:

There was a great night for the Ashton Gate 8 a few years ago now and JP was the compere. You could tell the passion he had for City then - and especially the AG8. It was before my time but it was a cracking evening to learn about the history of our club and what those blokes did and to have someone of his ilk running it was great - really brought it home with his knowledge and genuine feeling. Spoke to him afterwards as well and he came across as a genuinely lovely bloke as well as evidently very good at his job. 

It was a great event...he also did the Legends evening when the book was released. Had a really nice chat with him then...and also sat chatting with Alec Eisentragger and his daughter for ages. Great times.

Nice interview.

It's funny that despite being around the club at exactly the time Pearcey speaks of, I have no recollection whatsoever of him (or his dad) ever being there. Not doubting him, of course. I was only a little lad when he was a teen, so maybe I never noticed. The Curly-wurlies and Wagon Wheels I could get from the Director's Lounge were more important to me than watching the football back then.

Never encountered him at the Beeb either. Shame. I think we have a few anecdotes we could exchange!

4 hours ago, stortfordred said:

Fantastic listen. Bloke could entertain for hours. I’m sure it’s worthy of a wider audience than just City fans. By the way was it just me, or was he on the point of blubbing on one or two occasions?

Thanks Stanley, great work!

Got that vibe, he really does love this club. 

Agree with the sentiments on this thread. More needs to be done not just to honour the AG8, but also to support them financially.

Perhaps we could petition the club to set up a testimonial for them? Yes, it would be amazing for the fans to do something off their own back, but the club needs to contribute publicly too. 

Was -10 in 82, how many of those players received benefits and testimonials? What's the history of our support for them? 

4 minutes ago, J-mat said:

Got that vibe, he really does love this club. 

Agree with the sentiments on this thread. More needs to be done not just to honour the AG8, but also to support them financially.

Perhaps we could petition the club to set up a testimonial for them? Yes, it would be amazing for the fans to do something off their own back, but the club needs to contribute publicly too. 

Was -10 in 82, how many of those players received benefits and testimonials? What's the history of our support for them? 

Before my time too but I believe there was some sort of benefit or testimonial in the 1980s, Southampton v Ipswich.

Still though, financially- appoint the 8 as club ambassadors perhaps?

It sounded like he lost touch with City's progress after the 80s which is understandable given his career. I don't suppose he's missed much though! 89/90 was great, and a few seasons after that, but mainly league 1 doldrums since until GJ/Cotts/LJ.

Archived