Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Shtanley

A Cider With: Jonathan Pearce

That was great. I never knew he had such an intimate relationship with the club, i just thought he was a fan. Really interesting interview, some great anecdotes there to.

• Like 1

Great stuff. I've worked in broadcasting for 30 years - and for what it's worth you're doing a great job. That's a cracking interview.

Edited by Red Exile
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Wonderful the best yet! I can remember EVERY City game that JP mentioned, every player he spoke about, even every scorer.................but, ask me who we played two or three weeks ago and who scored..........................!

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

Great interview. Yet again I learned a lot about an interesting interviewee, about Bobby Moore, Alan Dicks and a load other characters. 

Edited by ExiledAjax

Fascinating stuff. Thanks Stan. 

Lovely bloke is Jonathan. 

I remember running the London Marathon in 2010 and saw him at the roadside as I was chasing a PB. Always regretted not stopping for a chat. Although I'm sure he'd be glad I didn't, given my sweaty persona. 

4 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

Fascinating stuff. Thanks Stan. 

Lovely bloke is Jonathan. 

I remember running the London Marathon in 2010 and saw him at the roadside as I was chasing a PB. Always regretted not stopping for a chat. Although I'm sure he'd be glad I didn't, given my sweaty persona. 

Yes, but did you get the PB? 🏃🏼‍♂️

I wasn't born in until '94 so don't know too much about the goings on in 1982 but do you think the club should do more to support those players? 

The little plaque on the Atyeo doesn't seem worthy of their actions/sacrifices back then. 

• Like 5

Fantastic interview.

Ive said this before, but the podcast is a must glide any city fan and these special editions should be compulsory listening.

Very moving regarding the Ashton Gate 8.

Download it now!!!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Carey 6 said:

I wasn't born in until '94 so don't know too much about the goings on in 1982 but do you think the club should do more to support those players? 

The little plaque on the Atyeo doesn't seem worthy of their actions/sacrifices back then. 

I always wondered if they should've been appointed and employed as club ambassadors.

Others who know more about it will be able to discuss the pros and cons but certainly thought it could have been worth serious consideration.

Amazing............and very entertaining.   I had no idea that JP"s affinity with the club was so deepseated and  interesting.   Get that statue built!.......as you should never forget the past.

Edited by maxjak

Another superb interview- can't wait to hear the next one!

His final words on a statue for the AG8- is this something that's been discussed before etc?
This would be a very fitting tribute to ensure they're always remembered 

Edited by ohhhshauntaylor
  • Like 3

He puts a lot of his career down to luck but the phrase ‘you make your own luck’ can never be better used than it can for him. Sounded like he showed a lot of tenacity to get where he has. 

• Like 1

How many consecutive years can someone win supporter of the year? Asking for a friend...

Top Interview, looking forward to the next one! 

I've only got halfway through but always assumed that he was anecdotally a City fan like of celebrities are. How wrong was I? I feel like a fair weather fan in comparison! 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Shtanley said:
"A Cider With: Jonathan Pearce" is now out!

I chat to the legendary commentator and broadcaster for 90 beautiful minutes.
He talks us through growing up a mad City fan, working with Bobby Moore, Robot Wars and meeting Pelé.

Loads of mentions for old city players and he has some great Bristol City stories I'm sure many on here will enjoy.

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook (@OSIBPODCAST)

Brilliant work loved that.

Just started. 

I can’t help but think of David Brent when JP starts talking about the City line up in his first game against Derby...

“Collier, Merrick, Gillies... Winersh, Taplow...”

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Just started. 

I can’t help but think of David Brent when JP starts talking about the City line up in his first game against Derby...

“Collier, Merrick, Gillies... Winersh, Taplow...”

Don't you mean Michael Palin's ripping yarns?

• Like 1

What a fantastic interview... absolutely loved it.

Brought back some fantastic memories.

Used to watch them climbing into the Gantry above the Williams stand. Always looked precarious.

Some great stories and you can feel the passion 

Many thanks.

5 hours ago, TBW said:

90 minutes long and you only had A cider? Rookies.

...it may have been a one-gallon vat or a barrel. We just don't know...and we certainly shouldn't jump to conclusions...

4 hours ago, RedDave said:

He puts a lot of his career down to luck but the phrase ‘you make your own luck’ can never be better used than it can for him. Sounded like he showed a lot of tenacity to get where he has. 

So true...I always use the comment by the Golfer Gary Player, in response to being lucky..' the harder I work, the luckier I get'...so true.

You've got to make your own luck with hard work.

As a side note... I'm surprised by so many not knowing about Jonathan Pearce's history with us. Thought it was common knowledge

Got to hand it to you @Shtanley, you really you have a good technique for these interviews....so easy to listen to.

Looking forward to the next one.

Eat your heart out Mrs Merton. 😜

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Got to hand it to you @Shtanley, you really you have a good technique for these interviews....so easy to listen to.

Looking forward to the next one.

Eat your heart out Mrs Merton. 😜

The talent is knowing when not to talk...let the interviewee speak, just lead the questions and shut up 

So many interviewers are too fond of their own voice. Stan has it spot on.

Also thought JPs thoughts on going for it were insightful...as in if we are in the mix come January, then spend...not just 4_5 £ million. Said the likes of Bournemouth doing that impossible now.

Edited by spudski
  • Like 1

Think we need to get some movement going or something for the Ashton Gate 8. How can we have a statue of Atyeo but not of those who saved our club? Pearce really does nail home how close we came, these guys need to be remembered forever. And he's right, if we ALL chip in £1, we can get a statue and remember them properly. 

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Akira said:

Think we need to get some movement going or something for the Ashton Gate 8. How can we have a statue of Atyeo but not of those who saved our club? Pearce really does nail home how close we came, these guys need to be remembered forever. And he's right, if we ALL chip in £1, we can get a statue and remember them properly. 

There is the plaque on the back of the Atyeo. Not sure how comfortable I feel about it being on what is now the away end - think I'd support the idea of it being relocated to the South Stand/Dolman concourse. From the SC&T page it doesn't look as though thee are any current plans to expand on this. 

Edit: just seen this line "which is currently being relocated from the wall outside the away end to the Supporters Bar." did this happen? I don't remember seeing it up at the home end.

AG8-plaque-unveiling-800-x-300-800x300.jpg

https://www.bristolcitysupporters.org/heritage/

Edited by ExiledAjax

There was a great night for the Ashton Gate 8 a few years ago now and JP was the compere. You could tell the passion he had for City then - and especially the AG8. It was before my time but it was a cracking evening to learn about the history of our club and what those blokes did and to have someone of his ilk running it was great - really brought it home with his knowledge and genuine feeling. Spoke to him afterwards as well and he came across as a genuinely lovely bloke as well as evidently very good at his job. 

• Like 2

@Shtanley you may well have tried him already, but Angus Scott is another broadcaster who may be willing to talk to you. I used to write for the Supporters Trust website and did an 'interview' with him by email.

And where do we sign up for the AG8 statues?

Top marks again @Shtanley for another exceptional podcast and one and a half hours of my life  well spent

• Like 1

12 hours ago, lenred said:

There was a great night for the Ashton Gate 8 a few years ago now and JP was the compere. You could tell the passion he had for City then - and especially the AG8. It was before my time but it was a cracking evening to learn about the history of our club and what those blokes did and to have someone of his ilk running it was great - really brought it home with his knowledge and genuine feeling. Spoke to him afterwards as well and he came across as a genuinely lovely bloke as well as evidently very good at his job. 

It was a great event...he also did the Legends evening when the book was released. Had a really nice chat with him then...and also sat chatting with Alec Eisentragger and his daughter for ages. Great times.

• Like 2