IGNORED

Virgin Atlantic question

phantom

• Admin

Hi all 

Greatful for any help 

I'm flying to New York in a few weeks, been told that my boarding passes are to be collected from the airport 

Its a long time since I've flown with a major airline. Used to short haul flights on easyjet and printing at home 

I've already upgraded and chosen seats but all I can find online  is to check in 24 hours before, and implies I have to select seats again. 

Does it sound right that I collect boarding passes at the airport? 

Thank you in advance 

10 hours ago, phantom said:

Hi all 

Greatful for any help 

I'm flying to New York in a few weeks, been told that my boarding passes are to be collected from the airport 

Its a long time since I've flown with a major airline. Used to short haul flights on easyjet and printing at home 

I've already upgraded and chosen seats but all I can find online  is to check in 24 hours before, and implies I have to select seats again. 

Does it sound right that I collect boarding passes at the airport? 

Thank you in advance 

Requiring you to collect boarding passes at the airport may be inconvenient but it is not out of the ordinary. I fly a lot with AA: sometimes I am unable to check-in online and have to do the whole process in person.

Additionally, if you have selected upgraded seats, I would expect those to be held through check-in, but certainly for peace of mind, I’d say give them a call to be sure.

The same happened to me when I flew to the US earlier this year on Virgin. On picking them up at check in I was told it was because I had been selected for additional security screening. In reality all that meant was my hand baggage got searched at the boarding gate.

On mentioning it to others it sounded like this is common for new passengers going to the US on Virgin.

I fly regularly with VA and you can check in on line 24 hours before the flight on the App/site and view boarding passes saving them on your phone or printing off, which I’ve never done , in my experience they always give you boarding passes when you check any luggage in so it’s a bit of a waste of time tbh, the seat reservations or upgrades will stand though and they’ll have details of that when you go to the VA check in desk at the airport...:yawn:

Most international airline carriers you can check in on line and down load your boarding pass on your mobile. I do this regularly flying qantas a couple of times a month. Depending on what frequent flyer status you are you can also reserve your seat. Virgin in OZ is not preferred by many travellers, they add extras for baggage and charge you for a beer and snacks. 

OTIK safe travels.

On 17/10/2019 at 22:40, Reigate Red said:

The same happened to me when I flew to the US earlier this year on Virgin. On picking them up at check in I was told it was because I had been selected for additional security screening. In reality all that meant was my hand baggage got searched at the boarding gate.

On mentioning it to others it sounded like this is common for new passengers going to the US on Virgin.

This is the most likely reason. 

On any given flight to the US, a small number of passengers will be selected for SSSS (secondary security screening selection), which means additional checks at the airport - and if so, SSSS will be printed on your boarding pass. 

It also means you won’t be able to check in 24 hours before online or using an app - the only way to check in is at the airport. 

I go to the US two or three times per year and the only time I’ve ended up with an SSSS boarding pass was when I went to Portland last year. It was the first time I’d flown with Delta (normally go to the US with BA or AA). 

Nothing to worry about and the additional checks aren’t onerous. Just make sure you get to the airport in plenty of time. 

Archived