IGNORED

Basketball/Hotel Arena

beaverface

1 hour ago, 1960maaan said:

I have no interest in Basketball , when it comes to the Gate I will probably have a look though. 
I heard some of the original plans included taking the fan park, or some of it under cover. This would be part of the new build, allowing use of toilets etc. Hopefully it might include a bigger shop for all 3 clubs, and the proposed parking will help many. Don't really see a down side. 
No, WE don't NEED a Basketball arena, but it could help the club and improve the match day experience (bloody hell I sound like Mark Ashton :facepalm: ) for the fans. Plus they sell out most weeks I believe, gives more people a chance to see them, and some may be tempted to come see a proper game......

Sorry @Davefevs :laughcont:

Ha ha.

Bristol City don’t need a basketball arena.

Bristol Flyers, Bristol Sport and probably Bristol City Council do ?

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Ha ha.

Bristol City don’t need a basketball arena.

Bristol Flyers, Bristol Sport and probably Bristol City Council do ?

That was more a tongue in cheek comment for the several comments further up.

I do think it's a good idea, I may venture down for one game, tbf I've even seen the egg chasers a couple of times so why not. Not sure the council need one, didn't they announce interest after SL had stated his plans? Now that would be odd having 2.  
I guess it would mean you could make both games if they play on the same day when it's finally built. Park in the multi story, and stay over in the Hotel... sorted :yes:

• Admin

Stadium bosses have scaled back their plans for a sport and convention centre and two hotels next to Ashton Gate, after more than a year of listening to local residents and planners.

Ashton Gate Stadium will formally submit a planning application next month, Bristol Live can reveal.

The plans have been changed so buildings are less densely packed together on the site, and won’t be as tall, with more open space in between.

The development would be a major £100 million investment in South Bristol, and could bring between 400 and 500 jobs to the area.

Ashton Gate Stadium first unveiled its plans for a major development on land to the west of its existing stadium back in September 2018, but so far has not submitted a planning application.

The initial plans were for a 4,000-capacity basketball arena and conference centre, together with two hotels, business space and residential flats, as well as housing development on land near the Long Ashton Park and Ride car park.

The plans were revealed to local residents in a series of drop-in sessions in December 2018, as well as discussions with planners in both Bristol and North Somerset.

Now, Ashton Gate Stadium has revealed the plans are close to being formally submitted, after 2019 was spent discussing and revising the plans.

1_EAR_BRI_18092018AshtonGateNewStadium_0

Many comments from local residents and planners expressed concern the blocks of flats were too tall - and Ashton Gate said it had listened to this and scaled back its proposals.

“Over this last year we have spent a lot of time discussing these plans with a variety of stakeholders, including the Bristol Urban Design Forum, residents, transport and environmental consultants and the council, in order to improve them and reach a point where we felt we had an overall design that would make the most of this exciting opportunity,” said a spokesperson for Ashton Gate.

“We are now at that point.”

“Over the coming months we will publish our revised plans. The development now contains more open spaces, with less density and height in terms of buildings, a different layout to enhance the existing stadium, and brings forward significant improvements in transport and travel to and from the development.

“We estimate that an extra 400 to 500 jobs will be created and, overall, the economic benefits to south Bristol and new opportunities opened up to our local community will be substantial,” he added.

After the failure of Bristol Sport to secure the go-ahead for a new stadium at Ashton Vale, owner Steve Lansdown invested £40 million in the transformation of the existing Ashton Gate stadium, and also bought up the freehold of the various parcels of land between the stadium and Winterstoke Road, including the site of the Wickes DIY store.

3_Arena4jpeg.jpg

The ‘Sporting Quarter’ project would see those businesses and buildings replaced by a conference and entertainments centre which will primarily be home for the Bristol Flyers basketball team, as well as hotels and flats.

Martin Griffiths, the chairman of Ashton Gate, said he hopes the revised plans will be welcomed by the city.

“We will be sharing the revised designs at an event at Ashton Gate in the next month. We will have on show a digital fly-through which really helps bring the Sporting Quarter to life,” he said.

What will happen next?

The revised plans are expected to be unveiled by Ashton Gate Stadium Ltd in mid-February, with a formal planning application submitted that month too

For such a major planning application, a decision could take months, but stadium bosses would hope for the backing of Bristol City Council planners by the summer of 2020.

Existing businesses occupying the land on which the Sporting Quarter would be situated are understood to be operating on a rolling lease, and those will need to be vacate before work can start on site.

The homes at Ashton Vale are understood to effectively be funding the development at Ashton Gate, so it is likely the first sign of work on the entire project will be seen there.

When the plans were initially unveiled in September 2018, stadium bosses ambitiously said the convention centre and basketball arena would be built by 2022. With an 18-month delay, that is likely to be put back to 2024 or 2025.

TAKEN FROM: https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/ashton-gate-stadium-city-fc-3732770

1 hour ago, phantom said:

Stadium bosses have scaled back their plans for a sport and convention centre and two hotels next to Ashton Gate, after more than a year of listening to local residents and planners.

Ashton Gate Stadium will formally submit a planning application next month, Bristol Live can reveal.

The plans have been changed so buildings are less densely packed together on the site, and won’t be as tall, with more open space in between.

The development would be a major £100 million investment in South Bristol, and could bring between 400 and 500 jobs to the area.

Ashton Gate Stadium first unveiled its plans for a major development on land to the west of its existing stadium back in September 2018, but so far has not submitted a planning application.

The initial plans were for a 4,000-capacity basketball arena and conference centre, together with two hotels, business space and residential flats, as well as housing development on land near the Long Ashton Park and Ride car park.

The plans were revealed to local residents in a series of drop-in sessions in December 2018, as well as discussions with planners in both Bristol and North Somerset.

Now, Ashton Gate Stadium has revealed the plans are close to being formally submitted, after 2019 was spent discussing and revising the plans.

1_EAR_BRI_18092018AshtonGateNewStadium_0

Many comments from local residents and planners expressed concern the blocks of flats were too tall - and Ashton Gate said it had listened to this and scaled back its proposals.

“Over this last year we have spent a lot of time discussing these plans with a variety of stakeholders, including the Bristol Urban Design Forum, residents, transport and environmental consultants and the council, in order to improve them and reach a point where we felt we had an overall design that would make the most of this exciting opportunity,” said a spokesperson for Ashton Gate.

“We are now at that point.”

“Over the coming months we will publish our revised plans. The development now contains more open spaces, with less density and height in terms of buildings, a different layout to enhance the existing stadium, and brings forward significant improvements in transport and travel to and from the development.

“We estimate that an extra 400 to 500 jobs will be created and, overall, the economic benefits to south Bristol and new opportunities opened up to our local community will be substantial,” he added.

After the failure of Bristol Sport to secure the go-ahead for a new stadium at Ashton Vale, owner Steve Lansdown invested £40 million in the transformation of the existing Ashton Gate stadium, and also bought up the freehold of the various parcels of land between the stadium and Winterstoke Road, including the site of the Wickes DIY store.

3_Arena4jpeg.jpg

The ‘Sporting Quarter’ project would see those businesses and buildings replaced by a conference and entertainments centre which will primarily be home for the Bristol Flyers basketball team, as well as hotels and flats.

Martin Griffiths, the chairman of Ashton Gate, said he hopes the revised plans will be welcomed by the city.

“We will be sharing the revised designs at an event at Ashton Gate in the next month. We will have on show a digital fly-through which really helps bring the Sporting Quarter to life,” he said.

What will happen next?

The revised plans are expected to be unveiled by Ashton Gate Stadium Ltd in mid-February, with a formal planning application submitted that month too

For such a major planning application, a decision could take months, but stadium bosses would hope for the backing of Bristol City Council planners by the summer of 2020.

Existing businesses occupying the land on which the Sporting Quarter would be situated are understood to be operating on a rolling lease, and those will need to be vacate before work can start on site.

The homes at Ashton Vale are understood to effectively be funding the development at Ashton Gate, so it is likely the first sign of work on the entire project will be seen there.

When the plans were initially unveiled in September 2018, stadium bosses ambitiously said the convention centre and basketball arena would be built by 2022. With an 18-month delay, that is likely to be put back to 2024 or 2025.

TAKEN FROM: https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/ashton-gate-stadium-city-fc-3732770

It would be good if the basketball arena goes ahead as planned at least.

I'm not sure what the budgets are for teams in the BBL. But with a decent side, I'm confident we would be able to fill 4,000. Could also be used for smaller concerts as well of course.

1 minute ago, elhombrecito said:

Good to see that there's been some movement on this - it was beginning to look like this wasn't going to happen. 

Pretty much every application takes an age - largely down to the inertia of the council.

One of this size will take even longer.

3 minutes ago, elhombrecito said:

Good to see that there's been some movement on this - it was beginning to look like this wasn't going to happen. 

The club are clearly been ultra careful in it's approach to this, they don't want another Ashton Vale waste of time and resources. Having had these discussions, they seem to have made significant changes to the plans, which would require, new measurements, new designs, recosting etc, they would want to get all that done before making any further announcements.

16 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Pretty much every application takes an age - largely down to the inertia of the council.

One of this size will take even longer.

Not strictly true.

I'm sure Wally was on Points West about 6 months ago with claims that the Fewers would be in their new stadium where the Fruit Market currently sits IN TWO YEARS.

They didn't even own it at that point, so I can only assume that they got the land, planning permission and are well in to the construction of it by now.

He'd hardly fib now, would he! 

5 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Not strictly true.

I'm sure Wally was on Points West about 6 months ago with claims that the Fewers would be in their new stadium where the Fruit Market currently sits IN TWO YEARS.

They didn't even own it at that point, so I can only assume that they got the land, planning permission and are well in to the construction of it by now.

Meanwhile, back in the real world.......

15 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Not strictly true.

I understand that the stands for their new ground are already being sewn together.

1 hour ago, CyderInACan said:

I thought we had bought the building on the corner - Charnwood House - but that seems not to be the case. 

Isn’t that currently home to the clubs accountants? 

2 minutes ago, TomF said:

Isn’t that currently home to the clubs accountants? 

I think I have seen that mentioned previously but how true it is I know not. 

It's advertising as student lets so I guess it may well be multi use - unless SL did buy it but it's still a going concern and the lets are all on one month's notice? 

It's greyed out in all of the plans - as is the storage place on the site of the old Normand Cruikshank dealership opposite. 

3 hours ago, ncnsbcfc said:

I'm not sure what the budgets are for teams in the BBL. But with a decent side, I'm confident we would be able to fill 4,000. Could also be used for smaller concerts as well of course.

And boxing, and maybe premier league darts - Exeter and Cardiff currently used in the south west 

4 minutes ago, Fiale said:

oh - guess it must be an expensive team to keep going  ? 

I thought the league folded or something like that. I could be wrong though, happy to be corrected as Badminton isn’t my strong point. ?

4 hours ago, ncnsbcfc said:

Although we currently sell out every home game, you’re talking 750 capacity at present.  Getting 4,000 would be amazing, and I hope the facility allows for flexibility so that smaller attendances can be catered for whilst keeping it “enclosed” for atmosphere.

Going to the Copperbox (11k capacity) with 250 fans is souls destroying as a player and as a fan!

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Although we currently sell out every home game, you’re talking 750 capacity at present.  Getting 4,000 would be amazing, and I hope the facility allows for flexibility so that smaller attendances can be catered for whilst keeping it “enclosed” for atmosphere.

Going to the Copperbox (11k capacity) with 250 fans is souls destroying as a player and as a fan!

With Team Bath selling out top flight netball matches you think Bristol Sport would have Had thoughts of a professional netball team for Bristol.

5 hours ago, CyderInACan said:

I thought we had bought the building on the corner - Charnwood House - but that seems not to be the case. 

Always remained in the original plans as a greyed our building. Would be a bit irritating I’d imagine as it closes off that corner as an access point. 

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Dave, growing up in Houston (as well as numerous other places). I used to go to the Summit to watch the Rockets play.

I think with the diversity in Bristol, I'm confident we could grow the Flyers; like the Bears are at the moment; into the largest average attendance in the league.

I'm not sure what the other teams averages are. But we seem to out grown our present place 

3 minutes ago, ncnsbcfc said:

Dave, growing up in Houston (as well as numerous other places). I used to go to the Summit to watch the Rockets play.

I think with the diversity in Bristol, I'm confident we could grow the Flyers; like the Bears are at the moment; into the largest average attendance in the league.

I'm not sure what the other teams averages are. But we seem to out grown our present place 

Ours is probably the smallest / joint smallest “arena”.  But it’s always full (750).  London City Royals have had crowds around the 250 Mark I think (at the old Crystal Palace arena).

Glasgow and Keicester are well supported.  Newcastle just moved into new arena.

@TBW

What capacity are the rest of the bbl?

As for Flyers, growing it, think they need to consider linking home games with Bears and City to maximise the “day out” experience?

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Ours is probably the smallest / joint smallest “arena”.  But it’s always full (750).  London City Royals have had crowds around the 250 Mark I think (at the old Crystal Palace arena).

Glasgow and Keicester are well supported.  Newcastle just moved into new arena.

@TBW

What capacity are the rest of the bbl?

As for Flyers, growing it, think they need to consider linking home games with Bears and City to maximise the “day out” experience?

Agreed - match day tickets would be good.

City followed by Flyers or Bears followed by Flyers.

That would put a load on the Flyers attendances (mind you, half would be pissed).

Looks a great proposal and the legwork has clearly been put in to engage locally so hopefully the council will approve. Will provide a great boost and some diversification to the south bristol economy. Hopefully this will be a spur to resolving the trains, which would also be a great benefit for match days. 

On 11/10/2019 at 12:31, beaverface said:

Anybody know where the club is at with regards to the building of the Basketball arena and hotel complexes?

Has planning permission been applied for\granted yet? Any idea of timescales?

Latest news here: https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/ashton-gate-stadium-city-fc-3732770

Archived