IGNORED

Bristol City Legends Evening

phantom

• Admin

image.png

This is a must event for all you Bristol City supporters who have followed the club through the years! A great opportunity to have former players in the same room, covering decades of football. Louis Carey, the most capped City player of all time, 646 appearances in a red shirt. Bob Taylor, known as "Super Bob", was a cult hero at Ashton Gate, with the knack of scoring goals. Paul Cheesley, needs no introduction, sadly his career was cut short at a young age, and would have gone onto representing his country for many years. And finally Jacki Dzekanowski arriving from the giants of Celtic, he had an unbelievable partnership with Andy Cole.

The evening will kick off with a meet & greet for sponsors, followed by a Fish & Chip supper and a discussion between the players on stage about their footballing accolades and stories that can only be told behind closed doors! followed by a Q&A. You are in for a treat.

There will be an opportunity to purchase some memorabilia from Somerset Signing & Framing Company during the evening, Auction and Raffle.

https://www.tickettailor.com/events/conciergeuk/311227

2 hours ago, Never to the dark side said:

1 would say Elland Road,can't remember the Gate looking like that.

On 11/10/2019 at 19:50, phantom said:

Details still a bit vague, but one to keep an eye on 

20191011_194909.jpg

It's the Open End at Ashton Gate imo Ted.

If you watch Gillies goal at Elland Road below there are advertising hoardings behind the goal he scores in, none behind Cashley here.

It can't be the other end at Elland Road (the Chicken Shed) because the bank of fans behind the goal is too high.

I think the City scarfs at the front is also a clue -  there certainly weren't any City scarfs on display like that in the Leeds end at Elland Road!

I wish I was able to attend. I see the big cheese is the draw card and so he should be. How about a few others if I can mention them, Drysdale, Collier, Tainton,, Merrick, Hunter, Royle, Whitehead,  Cashley, Hunter, the list goes on.

3 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

It's the Open End at Ashton Gate imo Ted.

If you watch Gillies goal at Elland Road below there are advertising hoardings behind the goal he scores in, none behind Cashley here.

It can't be the other end at Elland Road (the Chicken Shed) because the bank of fans behind the goal is too high.

I think the City scarfs at the front is also a clue -  there certainly weren't any City scarfs on display like that in the Leeds end at Elland Road!

Whilst I don't recall ever having seen the Open End looking like that, I tend to agree that it probably was, although I was actually in the East End.

I also share your comment about the scarves: I took my scarf with me to Elland Road, but it stayed hidden under my coat from the moment I got off the coach until we were well away from the ground! 

3 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Whilst I don't recall ever having seen the Open End looking like that, I tend to agree that it probably was, although I was actually in the East End.

I also share your comment about the scarves: I took my scarf with me to Elland Road, but it stayed hidden under my coat from the moment I got off the coach until we were well away from the ground! 

I'm even more convinced it's Elland Road Phil.

The game at AG was a relatively bright day as shown in the picture and clear definition of the faces in the crowd. Also, obviously no roof on the Open End, AG, so the whole picture of the crowd brighter than at Elland Road where it was a grimmer day and the large stand behind the goal was roofed and darker.

Yep, I was 15 at the time and went up with a slightly older brother. We ended up on the side packed with Leeds fans and didn't speak from the moment the ground was in sight until we were well away from the furious fans leaving afterwards.

We certainly didn't show colours or celebrate the goal.

Fantastic memorable victory but the most intimidating crowd I've been in, bar none.

9 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

I'm even more convinced it's Elland Road Phil.

The game at AG was a relatively bright day as shown in the picture and clear definition of the faces in the crowd. Also, obviously no roof on the Open End, AG, so the whole picture of the crowd brighter than at Elland Road where it was a grimmer day and the large stand behind the goal was roofed and darker.

Yep, I was 15 at the time and went up with a slightly older brother. We ended up on the side packed with Leeds fans and didn't speak from the moment the ground was in sight until we were well away from the furious fans leaving afterwards.

We certainly didn't show colours or celebrate the goal.

Fantastic memorable victory but the most intimidating crowd I've been in, bar none.

I do have some doubts as to it being the Open End, especially concerning the wall - I was swayed by the scarves, but perhaps they were Leeds scarves.

When I first started watching City, I used to go in the Open End and cling on to the railings that, from memory, were fixed to a 'dwarf' wall - certainly smaller than the wall in the photograph.

Perhaps some works were undertaken before 1974, but I don't recall the wall being so high.

Re. Elland Road, I was behind the goal at the opposite end from City's goal, and I couldn't refrain from cheering when we scored.

Fortunately, there were only two of us, both obviously young schoolboys, and, to be fair to the Leeds fans around us, apart from a bit of jeering, they were as good as gold.

It was a different story getting from the ground to the coach, though!

1 hour ago, Super said:

If somebody said Shearer was on that list I bet nobody would guess it was Duncan!

The same, free-scoring Duncan Shearer who Blackburn bought from Swindon, but hardly ever played him.

It was suggested at the time that Blackburn only bought him to put a hold on Swindon's promotion chances.

As if. Can you imagine a team buying another team's top striker just to jeopardise their chances of promotion ? ??

Archived