IGNORED

City Charades

MattWSM

3 minutes ago, The Horse With No Name said:

You are thinking of the Brian Tinnion goal, I think , when it was flicked up and he kneed it and volleyed it in. Atyeo end.

No, I don't remember that goal.

Whatever actually happened (in my hazy memory), it involved Ernie Hunt and concerned a goal or, at least an incident, in front of what was then the East End.

As we are on the subject of matches some 50 or so years ago, does anybody recall an incident involving Bobby Kellard, back in 1968-1970 (I had to check with WIKI)?

It was a sunny, Saturday afternoon at Ashton Gate, and BK, as ever, was involved in a tetchy feud with an opponent.

The referee blew for a foul against BK and the ball had ended up some yards away from where the referee deemed the free kick should be taken.

BK, who clearly disputed his 'offence', jogged over to where the ball was and, obviously, in those halcyon days of fair play, everybody just assumed that he was going to retrieve the ball and give it to his opponent in order that the free kick might be taken.

But, No!

To the crowd's great amusement, Bobby K ran to the ball, bent down and plucked a few shards of grass from the pitch and brought them back to his opponent, presented them theatrically before running back to take up his position in readiness for the free kick.  

I wonder whether there is anybody on this thread who was not only there, but actually recalls the incident.

11 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

His (Coventry) donkey kick would have been about 50 years ago, but I am convinced he scored, or at least was involved in, a similar goal for City.

Am I dreaming, wishful thinking, or do you remember such a goal for City?

You're right..........'74 away to WBA, Hunt flicked it up (single foot) and I THINK it was Fear who volleyed it in as it fell.

edit........Thinking about it, it might have been t'other way round !

13 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

You're right..........'74 away to WBA, Hunt flicked it up (single foot) and I THINK it was Fear who volleyed it in as it fell.

edit........Thinking about it, it might have been t'other way round !

West Brom away it was - Hunt volleyed it in.

Always thought it was flicked up by Gerry Gow?

45 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

That's interesting - still, the ball flicking player was out of his sight behind him so presumably he couldn't see who it was!?

Certainly wouldn't want to doubt Ernie, or his memory almost 30 years afterwards, but pretty sure it was reported as being GG at the time.

Perhaps wrongly.

Doesn't matter too much - any advance on Fear, Gow and Ritchie?

The main thing is Ernie whacked it home. :yes: 

Archived