IGNORED

Runners!

mozo

10 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

@mozo - that you this morning? Good pace!

Yeah, entering a new decade of life today so had to prove to myself that I'm still going strong! I laugh in the face of age...

I didn't manage the full half marathon though. I had to stop at Sainsbury's to buy breakfast and couldn't be bothered to get going again after that!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Masala said:

Following a sprained ankle and resulting phyio, and a severe case of CBA, I'm back running soon. Joined OTIB on Strava to kick start me!

I have been out of proper action for months. Basically starting from scratch. You have company at the back of the virtual pack.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

I have been out of proper action for months. Basically starting from scratch. You have company at the back of the virtual pack.

I think I'm in the minority - my running tails off in the summer as I tend to overheat so now is about the time I feel motivated to start again!

I started running again earlier this year and found it a fantastic way of helping my mental health after some tough personal circumstances. 

I jumped in at the deep end and entered ‘Miles for Mind’ in May and set an ambitious target of 125 miles to be ran in May (I was out of the country for 10 days) and finished on 129.1, with the highlight being a half marathon around East Midlands Airport one morning before work! 

It was torturous and I had to remind myself why I was doing it when I was on the verge of packing it in but I was over the moon to beat my target. 

72-BECD46-7-E62-4586-B760-CF9332448-FF6.

Really enjoyed it in the warmer weather/lighter evenings when Icould get out and run along the railway path, a bit of calm and peace away from the hustle and bustle of the world. 

Not enjoying it so much now the darkness has forced me back to the gym to do it, I prefer running outside. But I’m doing an interval program in the gym which I enjoy, as it’s a lot easier to stick to a set speed/effort on the treadmill. 

I’m currently doing a 10 min warm up followed by 15 x 45 sec full pelt incline sprint and 45 sec recovery which breaks up the tedium. 

Edited by BRISTOL86
  • Like 4

******* politics. I rarely come to the non football chat section any longer, but nice to see good threads like this one going.

I'm carrying a bit  - the result of being happily married, but I'm starting to fight back a bit. 

Did my first half earlier this year and had three targets;

1. Finish

2. Finish without having to walk

3. Run 13.2 sub ten minute miles.

Im pleased to say i managed all three, which, at probably the heaviest runner in the line up (16 and a half stone), I was quite pleased with.One thing that really impressed me were some of the old ladies, just gliding past me at the age of 70+, genuine a sight to behold.

Alas, it was in March and I've slackened off a bit, but been a few times in the past couple of weeks, and whereas a half is realistically too far for someone of my build to be going, I'm slowly getting back into regular running (and now tennis!).

Only problem is my achilles tendons. They don't half hurt a lot!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Fordy62 said:

******* politics. I rarely come to the non football chat section any longer, but nice to see good threads like this one going.

I'm carrying a bit  - the result of being happily married, but I'm starting to fight back a bit. 

Did my first half earlier this year and had three targets;

1. Finish

2. Finish without having to walk

3. Run 13.2 sub ten minute miles.

Im pleased to say i managed all three, which, at probably the heaviest runner in the line up (16 and a half stone), I was quite pleased with.One thing that really impressed me were some of the old ladies, just gliding past me at the age of 70+, genuine a sight to behold.

Alas, it was in March and I've slackened off a bit, but been a few times in the past couple of weeks, and whereas a half is realistically too far for someone of my build to be going, I'm slowly getting back into regular running (and now tennis!).

Only problem is my achilles tendons. They don't half hurt a lot!

So, you signing up to join the band @Fordy62? Pace and distance don’t matter - inspiration does!

I am still on sub 10k's at the moment and building up from scratch so not in the Strave group yet!

I also managed to strain my ankle last week (having previously torn ligaments playing football years ago so have always been weak) so haven't been out recently, very frustrating! 

14 minutes ago, !james said:

I am still on sub 10k's at the moment and building up from scratch so not in the Strave group yet!

I also managed to strain my ankle last week (having previously torn ligaments playing football years ago so have always been weak) so haven't been out recently, very frustrating! 

You should join. It really doesn't matter how much you run or how far/fast. This thread and the Strava group is only intended to help encourage OTIBers to be enthusiastic about running.

53 minutes ago, !james said:

Come on into Strava, the more the merrier.

3 hours ago, !james said:

Nothing wrong with that mate, get joined in, there’s no right or wrong pace or distance. 

On 23/10/2019 at 14:14, hitchin red2 said:

A charity I support asked me to write a piece about my running story:

https://pwsauk.wordpress.com/2019/09/01/kerrys-fundraising-journey/

One of the best decisions I've ever made was entering that first 10K. Changed my life.

Great story, well done. And a foster carers too, hats off

On 23/10/2019 at 14:14, hitchin red2 said:

A charity I support asked me to write a piece about my running story:

https://pwsauk.wordpress.com/2019/09/01/kerrys-fundraising-journey/

One of the best decisions I've ever made was entering that first 10K. Changed my life.

Brilliant story, every credit. 

Does anyone know how to get Strava to record intervals properly? No matter what settings I choose (including auto-pause on my Apple Watch) it counts the rest time as running time and completely messes up my pace. 

Nike Run Club manages it ok on the watch but when you export it to Strava it shows a completely different average pace which factors in the rest time, so it’s showing say 8min/mi in NRC and 14min/mi in Strava?

Edited by BRISTOL86

1 hour ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Does anyone know how to get Strava to record intervals properly? No matter what settings I choose (including auto-pause on my Apple Watch) it counts the rest time as running time and completely messes up my pace. 

Nike Run Club manages it ok on the watch but when you export it to Strava it shows a completely different average pace which factors in the rest time, so it’s showing say 8min/mi in NRC and 14min/mi in Strava?

Strange.

Question: Are you tagging the activity as anything? (Race, Long Run etc). If you tag it as a race, it’ll include all your time including stops, whereas untagged will only show your moving time and adjust splits accordingly. Examples of this below:

ECC20C68-3E5E-419A-8AA1-EE7B89206B39.jpeg

080914D4-8F24-4B84-AE4D-250EEF0FB87F.jpeg

@Silvio Dante no not tagging as anything.

Here’s the run in NRC (treadmill running so no map....)

AC8-E2608-5-C65-4558-9664-EF005-C924-F08

Then I use an app called RunGap to export it into Strava - note that it pretty well matches the stats from NRC

E2-FB4-BB8-6-F6-C-4941-9497-DFED81-F385-

Then in Strava this is how it shows - it’s counted all the rest time so the pace is almost double 

6-FDBEA7-B-E29-F-4820-A881-69-DA7230-D4-

Edited by BRISTOL86

On 14/10/2019 at 11:51, One Team In Keynsham said:

Exactly my normal 5 miles: Snug Harbour > Bypass > North Sound loop. Rinse and repeat until you want to kill yourself through monotony. When I was training with some friends we would do an out and back course and share water drops.

Dunno if you're on Island atm: we've had a "cold" front blow in. Meant I could do 4 miles last night in low 20's heat. Beautiful, just beautiful. The first run I've actually enjoyed out here since I moved. Managed to do negative splits as well, last mile was an 8:45 which I know is far from lightning quick but I am genuinely over the moon about.

Hit 6 miles on Sunday. That was with my interval running. Need to work on endurance now.

I use Runtastic as my app. Let’s you design your own running plan/interval running. Did download Strava the other day and it cost a bomb in comparison. Put me off straight away given the benefits I get on Runtastic which I think a paid just £5 for. Don’t use the full premium version which is about £40 odd a year.

• Like 1

On 19/11/2019 at 21:53, formerly known as ivan said:

Hit 6 miles on Sunday. That was with my interval running. Need to work on endurance now.

I use Runtastic as my app. Let’s you design your own running plan/interval running. Did download Strava the other day and it cost a bomb in comparison. Put me off straight away given the benefits I get on Runtastic which I think a paid just £5 for. Don’t use the full premium version which is about £40 odd a year.

Top work mate.

Yeah I’ll be honest I don’t particularly like Strava. I find Nike run club much better which was free....with a £400 watch :laugh: 

I am getting there, managed to 100k in November which I was pleased with. Just run my longest distance of 20k in just under 1 hour 55. 

So any tips on nipple chafing?! Vaseline doesn't work and rubs off, used microporous tape which is okay but painful to take off! seen stuff online called body glide but doesn't look much different to Vaseline. I have ordered some Under Armour tight compression tops which I have read may help but any advice is appreciated! 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, !james said:

I am getting there, managed to 100k in November which I was pleased with. Just run my longest distance of 20k in just under 1 hour 55. 

So any tips on nipple chafing?! Vaseline doesn't work and rubs off, used microporous tape which is okay but painful to take off! seen stuff online called body glide but doesn't look much different to Vaseline. I have ordered some Under Armour tight compression tops which I have read may help but any advice is appreciated! 

I have tried body glide before, and also simply tried putting plasters on. Neither proved 100% effective. Now I just oil up with Vaseline like a Turkish wrestler and that does the trick. The only downside is the stains on the running vests that make it look I have been lactating.

I also have learned the hard way why it is good to lube up: getting in the shower with bleeding nipples is horrific.

• Like 1