IGNORED

Runners!

mozo

Firstly, great thread.  I've recently (last 6 weeks or so) got into running.  I played hockey for over 20 years (a while back now) and despised it.  I've altered my diet (bar Christmas festivities) and started to do a bit of HIIT training.  A lad I started to work with recommended running (He does 5k every other day and a 10k once a month).  So I thought I'd give it a whirl.  I started  with a 1/2 hour run (4.4k) and then thought I could do 5k (33 minutes or so).  I got that down to 24.55 and ran my first 10k the other week, took it pretty steady, but managed 56.44.  I'm now hooked and get a real buzz from it, vanity has something to do with it as well.  I'm doing it all on a treadmill currently I can control and push myself as much as I can.  

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

Just returning to this thread! 

My 2019 ambition was to do 50km/month. It started with a 2km run around Greville Smyth Park with my son having not run for a good few months. Once I got back into the routine (and barring a pesky knee problem in late May/early June) I easily exceeded the target. The year ended too with a run with him around Greville Smyth again - a nice way to bookend it. 

Best month - 140km

Longest distance - 21.1km (half marathon distance) in 02:05:12

New 10km PB @ Bristol 10km Race in May - 00:51:52

Best location - Troulos Bay to Koukanaries and back (Skiathos, Greece) 

Total number of runs - 149 (mainly outdoors, but probably about 10/15 in the gym when knee injury or horrific weather dictated) 

App used - Endomondo (free version) 

Overall distance ran - 1,021km 

Great feeling to have done what I set out to do over the course of a year as since starting running 5yrs ago that's the first time I have stuck with it for an entire 12-month. Usually it's "train for 10k and have a break. . . " Gave myself a day off yesterday but back out today later on. 

Also great to see new & returning runners on what is a great thread! 

• Like 7

23 minutes ago, Masala said:

Back on it, Chipping Sodbury parkrun will (re) become my regular Saturday morning routine.

First run of 2020 done lunchtime today. Three miles, slow but I've always been a plodder!

Feels great!

Good work!

Yup. First one earlier too for me - along the towpath, back past the Clanage, past the garden centre, park, AG and home for 10km. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, CyderInACan said:

My 2019 ambition was to do 50km/month. It started with a 2km run around Greville Smyth Park with my son having not run for a good few months. Once I got back into the routine (and barring a pesky knee problem in late May/early June) I easily exceeded the target. The year ended too with a run with him around Greville Smyth again - a nice way to bookend it. 

Best month - 140km

Total number of runs - 149 (mainly outdoors, but probably about 10/15 in the gym when knee injury or horrific weather dictated) 

Great feeling to have done what I set out to do over the course of a year as since starting running 5yrs ago that's the first time I have stuck with it for an entire 12-month. Usually it's "train for 10k and have a break. . . " Gave myself a day off yesterday but back out today later on. 

29 minutes ago, Masala said:

Back on it, Chipping Sodbury parkrun will (re) become my regular Saturday morning routine.

First run of 2020 done lunchtime today. Three miles, slow but I've always been a plodder!

Feels great!

Great work guys. Keep that motivation going!

Tried a run tonight but gave up after less than a mile due to severe lower back pain (severe might be OTT but very painful nonetheless!). This has happened on my last couple of runs, hence the poor performances.

Anyone else had this issue before? Didn’t suffer at all throughout last year. Only had a couple of weeks off through Christmas so not sure why it has started to hurt so much.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

For those of you that run regularly, I can recommend getting a decent sports masseuse. First time I had it done I was surprised at the number of knots I didn’t know I had and ran a million times better afterwards - now get it done monthly and it makes a real difference. The back pain might be something that they could help with @formerly known as ivan - other thing is I get that on occasions if I’m running uphill at the very start (first k) of a run before things have warmed up so could be that?

As for 2020 targets, trying to hit 3000 km for the year. Agonisingly 85k short last year. Unexpectedly strong start to the year with 33k in the first two days but that will not last!

• Like 1

Just something to bring to everyone’s attention:

The Westonbirt “Run for the Trees” goes on sale at 9am Weds. For any of you who want a 10k in a really nice location which is also flat, and contains a real mix of abilities, it’s a great course and one of my favourites I’ve done previously. The race is 7pm on Thursday 7th May and in prior years sold out within a couple of hours.

Highly recommended.

17 hours ago, CyderInACan said:

Best month - 140km

Thanks and good work!!

I will try and use this as my motivation, as I really need to get running again. I ran a lot during my 20's and then played football in my 30's. Raised a family in my 40's but now need to start again. I trained for a marathon in 2012 but got injured just beforehand, which really set me back and I've done very little since. At 54, I need to do this for both peace of mind and health. I'll let you know how it goes!! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, ForeverRed said:

Thanks and good work!!

I will try and use this as my motivation, as I really need to get running again. I ran a lot during my 20's and then played football in my 30's. Raised a family in my 40's but now need to start again. I trained for a marathon in 2012 but got injured just beforehand, which really set me back and I've done very little since. At 54, I need to do this for both peace of mind and health. I'll let you know how it goes!! 

Good Luck! Keep us posted. Got any plans?

15 hours ago, ForeverRed said:

Thanks and good work!!

Awesome, I'm in a similar boat to you. Now 51 and realise I've got to sort my fitness out!

On 03/01/2020 at 02:21, ForeverRed said:

Thanks and good work!!

My age and injury means running longer distances can be problematic. So I started setting myself smaller goals. 

Try the Cooper test. Google it.

I found the test/tests beneficial as I could set myself targets realistic to my age and physical condition (thirty years of football and running injuries), which gave me a peace of mind where I proved to myself I was still very fit with an age appropriate target to go further, which I achieved.  

9 hours ago, ForeverRed said:

Thanks for your support 

I've downloaded the couch to 5K app as a start (although can usually run a couple of miles ok), but need to enter a 10 k or something in the spring as a target.

Basically I just need to get my shoes on and run ?

This sounds like a really sensible plan. I'd never really run at all until my early 30s and the couch to 5k got me into it but I also booked a 5K two months ahead to aim for. If you ran in the past, I  think setting 10k run in a few months to aim for is a great way to do it. Good luck!

On 04/01/2020 at 03:05, ForeverRed said:

Thanks for your support 

I've downloaded the couch to 5K app as a start (although can usually run a couple of miles ok), but need to enter a 10 k or something in the spring as a target.

Basically I just need to get my shoes on and run ?

??‍♂️If you fancy running for charity you could join me and others running in this year’s Bristol 10k for Bristol Sands : link etc below 

11 hours ago, TomF said:

So things are changing with my role in work - after 14 odd years of being away midweek and on road generally with work I’m stopping that in April. For the first time I’ll be able to have a routine and start a bit more fitness. To that point I’ve slowly started running. Probably not done any serious running since I was 15-16 when I could do 4 1/2 minute mile. I’ve not even managed five a side for last 5-6 years since had kids. Slowly on the trail clocking up 8min miles, but only short distances. 

Great stuff Tom. You'll be back up to speed in no time at all! 

forrest gump running GIF

21 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Managed to get out lunchtime today for a first round Bristol of the year. Beautiful day for it and even running up Park Street didn’t hurt (much...)

BD050D33-571E-44EB-AF84-2475B6854954.jpeg

Park St Is on my list. Did Bridge Valley Rd Saturday afternoon then up over the bridge and up through Begar Bush Lane and down thru the by then dark Ashton Court woods. 16k in total. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

Park St Is on my list. Did Bridge Valley Rd Saturday afternoon then up over the bridge and up through Begar Bush Lane and down thru the by then dark Ashton Court woods. 16k in total. 

Good skills. I’m trying to up it this year and have done 20k in a day but with a ten minute break at 12k (unintended but got an appointment I was running to cancelled so ran back....). Probably going to try and clock a HM this weekend - nice route you’ve got there, mine will be the wilds of Yate/Sodbury!

Good work everyone! Still going strong, averaging about 30k a week depending on work and weather!

I am tempted to sign up to a few organised 10ks or the Bath Half and raise some money for charity, how have people found running the mass events like that for the first time? I quite enjoy just putting my headphones in and being in my own space so not sure how I would find the big events like that

• Like 2