IGNORED

Runners!

mozo

3 hours ago, !james said:

Good work everyone! Still going strong, averaging about 30k a week depending on work and weather!

I am tempted to sign up to a few organised 10ks or the Bath Half and raise some money for charity, how have people found running the mass events like that for the first time? I quite enjoy just putting my headphones in and being in my own space so not sure how I would find the big events like that

I have run big marathons (NYC, London, Chicago etc) and love being part of the crowd. First ever race was Chicago (hadn't even run an organised 5k before), and had trained pretty much solo: it didn't seem to make much difference to me.

• Like 2

Don't know if the Baff half is big.

But ran that.

Few years back though.

Aimed for sub 1.30.

Could have done it.

Started close to the Runners world sub 1.30 pacemakers.

And at the start ..

Well the pacemakers disappeared and I was surrounded by a close knit shuffle.

The shuffle lasted a mile.

Then it was a jog.

Didn't even pant or sweat for three miles.

And then I could start running.

Finished in 1.34.

4 hours ago, !james said:

Good work everyone! Still going strong, averaging about 30k a week depending on work and weather!

I am tempted to sign up to a few organised 10ks or the Bath Half and raise some money for charity, how have people found running the mass events like that for the first time? I quite enjoy just putting my headphones in and being in my own space so not sure how I would find the big events like that

Bath Half tends to be a sellout so you’ll probably need to get a charity place with designated minimum fundraise if aiming for this year. Find it a bit of a slog as it’s two laps which is psychologically tough (Although the one time I did it I beat Mark Ashton and LJ...)

Like you, I like putting the headphones on and being in a bubble. You can still do that on the bigger races, what tends to happen is after the first k or so the field gets spread so you don’t have to worry about banging into other people. Even in the bubble though, there are real advantages to being in a large run - you can use the actual pacers or just use other runners for tempo. Most importantly, other people drag you through - I recall struggling in the final stages of the Bristol half a few years ago and the number of other runners encouraging and pushing you on was a real boost. It’s a strange sport - definitely prefer it solo but there is also a huge sense of community 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Bath half marathon used to be a good race for attempting personal bests. Pretty flat and for a Winter race never ran a windy one unlike Bristol. Its now a big race and the start can get really crowded and can bin attempts at PB's. Lot of support around the course around the centre for those who are struggling.

On ‎02‎/‎01‎/‎2020 at 21:43, Silvio Dante said:

Just something to bring to everyone’s attention:

The Westonbirt “Run for the Trees” goes on sale at 9am Weds. For any of you who want a 10k in a really nice location which is also flat, and contains a real mix of abilities, it’s a great course and one of my favourites I’ve done previously. The race is 7pm on Thursday 7th May and in prior years sold out within a couple of hours.

Highly recommended.

I'm in for this one will be my third time, sold out in an hour people obviously looking forward to the bank holiday Friday the day after!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TMWANG50 said:

I'm in for this one will be my third time, sold out in an hour people obviously looking forward to the bank holiday Friday the day after!

Best of luck! Last time I did it I had to try and get round quite quick (for me) as start was at 7 and needed to pick daughter up from youth club at 8:15, which was a 20 minute drive away.

Got round, got back to the car and made it to youth club in time. With race number still attached and still dripping in sweat.

Daughter informed me I was “embarrassing”....

• Thanks 1

On 07/01/2020 at 18:34, Silvio Dante said:

Managed to get out lunchtime today for a first round Bristol of the year. Beautiful day for it and even running up Park Street didn’t hurt (much...)

BD050D33-571E-44EB-AF84-2475B6854954.jpeg

How do you have the energy for this run on your lunch break!??? fair play to you

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, Three Lions said:

Bath half marathon used to be a good race for attempting personal bests. Pretty flat and for a Winter race never ran a windy one unlike Bristol. Its now a big race and the start can get really crowded and can bin attempts at PB's. Lot of support around the course around the centre for those who are struggling.

I have ran Reading half marathon for many years now and it always clashes with this , which is a shame as its a nice local one But Reading the whole place comes out (everything closes pretty much) there aren't places where their aren't people/bands supporting you.

Also you don' t to turn back its all a whole route , as well as getting to run into a Olympic like race track into the Madejski Stadium with thousands of ppl cheering you on ( or a lot less if you are finishing closer to 3 hour mark). 

Only down are that there are two big ish hills but on both hills support is pretty good!

Did my first half marathon distance this week in 1 hour 50. Enjoying getting out and like the long distances rather than a 5k! 

I now know what fartleks and intervals are as was chatting to a proper runner who said I need to do these in my shorter runs to gain speed. To be honest I'm not in the smashing PBs space at the moment so happy to build up gradually. 

• Like 3
  • Flames 1

5 hours ago, TomF said:

So bit of a setback for me - having gradually built up and comfortably ran 2 miles on Sunday without feeling any pain my Crohns came back to flare up this week. Although I narrowly avoided hosptial admission I've obviously had to stop running for time being. I might venture back out tonight but had hoped to be upping to 5km but probs sit back on 2m till I'm fully 100%.

Anyone else run who suffer from Crohns/Collitus or IBS?

Didn’t Darren Fletcher have that? I wonder if there’s anything he used to manage it while playing football which could be used as a readacross?

46 minutes ago, !james said:

Did my first half marathon distance this week in 1 hour 50. Enjoying getting out and like the long distances rather than a 5k! 

I now know what fartleks and intervals are as was chatting to a proper runner who said I need to do these in my shorter runs to gain speed. To be honest I'm not in the smashing PBs space at the moment so happy to build up gradually. 

I think we’ve all been at the HMs this week - congrats! I think @mozo nailed one today as well. Although whoever on Strava did the 5k on the Maldives wins this week, undoubtedly...

22 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

Didn’t Darren Fletcher have that? I wonder if there’s anything he used to manage it while playing football which could be used as a readacross?

I think we’ve all been at the HMs this week - congrats! I think @mozo nailed one today as well. Although whoever on Strava did the 5k on the Maldives wins this week, undoubtedly...

I’ve just joined Strava having always used Endomondo - how do I find the OTIB group?

13 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

I’ve just joined Strava having always used Endomondo - how do I find the OTIB group?

I see we have a newbie, is that you?

There's a dozen of us now. Great to see the OTIB runners covering 3 different Parkruns today. 

• Like 2

On ‎18‎/‎01‎/‎2020 at 20:17, mozo said:

I see we have a newbie, is that you?

There's a dozen of us now. Great to see the OTIB runners covering 3 different Parkruns today. 

My local parkrun is a bit brutal at the moment bit like running in an icey deep peat bog, managed to get around with two youngsters then went on my @rse on the ice in the car park much to their delight!

Edited by TMWANG50
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Rutland Red said:

Is anyone else using the 5K Parkrunner result app?

It's pretty good and the challenges add some fun to the Parkruns.

Currently trying to do the Tourist challenge (do 20 different Parkruns).

Not heard of that will look into it. The trouble I've got is youth football always seems to be the same time on a Saturday so might have to wait until the summer!

On 13/10/2019 at 01:19, mozo said:

After Eliud Kipchoge's incredible achievement this morning, today is probably a good day to see how many runners we have on OTIB. 

Do you run? If so, what have you done, what do you have planned? 

Let's talk running...

My quickest run was about twenty meters about ten years ago. We were at a remote location in the Northern Territory of Australia. One shop, one pub with a bottle shop. The locals are not allowed within 100 meters of the bottle shop for obvious reasons if you are aware of the indigenous communities in these remote locations. Usually the locals will approach you as soon as they see you with a green slab of beer on your shoulder (Victoria bitter cans) we walked out of the bottle shop one night the two of us waiting for them to approach and they didn’t. This was unusual and when we looked around we saw a croc about six feet long to the side of us. We ran like hell. I have never ran so fast in my life. Me and my mate drank the 24 stubbies between us afterwards.

On 24/01/2020 at 08:12, City oz said:

My quickest run was about twenty meters about ten years ago. We were at a remote location in the Northern Territory of Australia. One shop, one pub with a bottle shop. The locals are not allowed within 100 meters of the bottle shop for obvious reasons if you are aware of the indigenous communities in these remote locations. Usually the locals will approach you as soon as they see you with a green slab of beer on your shoulder (Victoria bitter cans) we walked out of the bottle shop one night the two of us waiting for them to approach and they didn’t. This was unusual and when we looked around we saw a croc about six feet long to the side of us. We ran like hell. I have never ran so fast in my life. Me and my mate drank the 24 stubbies between us afterwards.

If only you'd captured it on Strava!

11 hours ago, TomF said:

Back to drawing board for me thanks to the Hosptial admission.  Bit unsure when I should start again but having lost 1.5 stone I’m probs thinking leaving it till at least weekend (roughy 10 days since discharge) 

Massively frustrating as got up to comfortably running 5-7km every 3-4 days ?

Ouch. Hope you’re ok. Played 5aside twice in a few days last week and my knee didn’t like it so have had a a week off but need to get out Friday/Weekend really as I need the release! 

Went for my first proper run today after having failed a few times so far this year. Having struggled to 2 miles the last few attempts, managed to hit 4 miles today so a step in the right direction!

Also just ordered this... https://freetrain.co.uk/ 

Anyone else use it? I find armbands are uncomfortable, either too tight but if I loosen it at all it just moves around. All the reviews on this look good, just hope it fits!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, TomF said:

Good work,  I'm just considering hitting the roads again.  Wednesday will be 4 weeks since hospital discharge and generally feeling good.. starting from scratch again! 

Steady build up as and when you feel comfortable with it. Sometimes it’s easy to go all out.

Starting from scratch is what put me off getting back going again, especially when I only had myself to blame. Still, got to do it and before long will be back to a decent standard.