IGNORED

Runners!

mozo

On 05/05/2020 at 17:30, TomF said:

Additional - I really need to look at some better shoes. Anyone got any suggestions - finding it hard to consider buying when cant try 

My advice after recent experience - avoid Up and Running and On shoes. 

Couldn't do enough for me when I was in the store spending cash but neither want to know now the shoes have worn prematurely and are unusable after 9 months use. 

According to On this is reasonable wear for the time period on a £108 pair of shoes - this is the inside of the heels by the way 

47-B74122-2-F2-E-4979-B644-05-F648-E95-A

88-D885-A2-F216-471-E-BEB0-3-EE1-AA21-F5

Edited by BRISTOL86

25 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

My advice after recent experience - avoid Up and Running and On shoes. 

Couldn't do enough for me when I was in the store spending cash but neither want to know now the shoes have worn prematurely and are unusable after 9 months use. 

According to On this is reasonable wear for the time period on a £108 pair of shoes - this is the inside of the heels by the way 

47-B74122-2-F2-E-4979-B644-05-F648-E95-A

88-D885-A2-F216-471-E-BEB0-3-EE1-AA21-F5

When you say 9 months though, how many miles have you covered?

36 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

When you say 9 months though, how many miles have you covered?

400-500ish at a guess. Approx 45-60hrs running. Really doesn’t seem very good to me for a £100+ pair of shoes but I don’t know what the ‘norm’ is. Expected better.

But the attitude of the shop was rubbish. Basically referred it to On, came back and said ‘On said no’ and then couldn’t be less interested when I told them I thought it was piss poor. 

10 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

400-500ish at a guess. Approx 45-60hrs running. Really doesn’t seem very good to me for a £100+ pair of shoes but I don’t know what the ‘norm’ is. Expected better.

But the attitude of the shop was rubbish. Basically referred it to On, came back and said ‘On said no’ and then couldn’t be less interested when I told them I thought it was piss poor. 

That’s a shame they were not interested, I tend to replace every 500km or so (or until my knee tells me to) so I think you probably had you wear out of them!? 

16 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

That’s a shame they were not interested, I tend to replace every 500km or so (or until my knee tells me to) so I think you probably had you wear out of them!? 

Just doesn’t seem a lot of activity for an expensive shoe to me, though maybe I’m overreacting. To wear through 3/4 layers of fabric like that seems pretty poor for a premium shoe. 

I know you can’t compare walking to running but I’ve got a 3 year old £60 pair of work shoes that I spend 250 days a year in, 10 hours a day, that have barely got a mark on them and are as solid as the day they were bought. 

50-60 hours for £100 pair of shoes seems poor by comparison but maybe I’m just tight!

7 hours ago, CyderInACan said:

600 km per pair of shoes is about right I reckon, given some of the advice I’ve seen in running mags mind 

I tended to replace mine after 250 miles or so. I pronate and needed the cushioning from newer soles due to my lumbering gait.

Generally kept a few pairs in rotation.

Edited by One Team In Keynsham
  • Like 3

Just came across this thread (and requested to join the strava club ?)

Ive been one of those that’s got our more and more during lockdown due to the gym being closed and wanted to use it as an opportunity to improve my mental game.

Ive been following the virtual Ironman club challenges and completed a couple, plus achieved my first marathon distance run during lockdown

Admittedly probably a bit irresponsible being outside for that long but I tend to be up and out at 5/6am and really lucky to live in the countryside surrounded by country roads and big fields so I can go out and barely see anyone for miles.

From Monday I’m starting a 16 week plan to get to 50 mile Ultra territory, and longer term I have my eye on a 24 hour endurance race and want to complete a real triathlon (but my swimming needs work!)  

• Like 5

19 hours ago, MarcusX said:

Just came across this thread (and requested to join the strava club ?)

Ive been one of those that’s got our more and more during lockdown due to the gym being closed and wanted to use it as an opportunity to improve my mental game.

Ive been following the virtual Ironman club challenges and completed a couple, plus achieved my first marathon distance run during lockdown

Admittedly probably a bit irresponsible being outside for that long but I tend to be up and out at 5/6am and really lucky to live in the countryside surrounded by country roads and big fields so I can go out and barely see anyone for miles.

From Monday I’m starting a 16 week plan to get to 50 mile Ultra territory, and longer term I have my eye on a 24 hour endurance race and want to complete a real triathlon (but my swimming needs work!)  

Welcome to the team Marcus! Wow - that's impressive progress, and what an achievement 50 miles would be, especially if not even in a race. I live that dedication to head out before 6am!

I'll keep an eye on strava, and let us know how you're getting on. 

We've got 18 runners now. Not bad going. A couple more would be nice.

Towards the end of the summer I think we'll schedule a marathon day where we try to reach an overall mileage on a particular Sunday. I wonder what 18 runners could amass? 250 miles easy. 350 miles more difficult. Marcus, we'll need 50 from you!

But if we can get a few more runners, it would be amazing to smash 500 miles between us...

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, mozo said:

Welcome to the team Marcus! Wow - that's impressive progress, and what an achievement 50 miles would be, especially if not even in a race. I live that dedication to head out before 6am!

I'll keep an eye on strava, and let us know how you're getting on. 

We've got 18 runners now. Not bad going. A couple more would be nice.

Towards the end of the summer I think we'll schedule a marathon day where we try to reach an overall mileage on a particular Sunday. I wonder what 18 runners could amass? 250 miles easy. 350 miles more difficult. Marcus, we'll need 50 from you!

But if we can get a few more runners, it would be amazing to smash 500 miles between us...

Well, all things going well my 16 week plan ends with an attempt around the 30th august so I might be ready to give it a go!

Tried Strava, just didn’t like it. I like my Runtastic app that lets me set my own running plan, although I know someone who has downloaded it and it’s now part of Adidas and doesn’t appear  to have the same feature.

After struggling on and off over the last few weeks, struggling to make 1.5 miles, my last two runs, being Friday and Sunday I have managed to hit over 3.5 miles. Slow but steady progress!

• Like 2

Anyone got any recommendations on running shoes? I suppose I probably need to go and get an assessment done and get some correctly fitted shoes if I'm going to be covering such big distances but while shops are shut I need another pair in the meantime. Anything in particular I should look for or consider?

27 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

Anyone got any recommendations on running shoes? I suppose I probably need to go and get an assessment done and get some correctly fitted shoes if I'm going to be covering such big distances but while shops are shut I need another pair in the meantime. Anything in particular I should look for or consider?

Few bits of advice I picked up and followed over the years. I realise that all of these bits are not possible in a lockdown world.

- stick to "proper" running shoe brands (Brooks, Saucony, Asics) and avoid Nike and Adidas and the like: this has worked for me, but it may well be different for you.

- get your running gait analysed and pick a type of shoe appropriate: for me, I pronate so wear a stability shoe

- go into the store with an open mind and get the best shoe within your budget regardless of brand and colour: I basically would try anything based on my requirements, and only asked I didn't get offered pairs in pink. 

- try a sample of shoes on a treadmill or running about the store, and whittle down: for now, get a few pairs with ability for hassle free returns and keep the one that works.

After all this, and trial and error, I have ended up with Brooks Adrenaline GTS. They tweak the style each year, but the fitting is unchanged so I buy online.

Only other advice is to also invest in good running socks. After working through various brands I ended up with Balega. 

Although hampered now by non-running issues, I use to run marathons, and Brooks and Balega got me through a lot of those with minimal, if any, injury and blister issues.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Don't know if we've covered this, but particularly relevant in lockdown: running books!

I've just read Running With The Kenyans, and now moving onto Finn's 2nd book, The Way of the Runner, with his 3rd book about ultra running lines up.

They're an easy read. A combo of travel writing and running story.

I've also got Dean Karnazes Ultramarathon Man lined up which is supposed to be good.

Any others of note?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, mozo said:

Don't know if we've covered this, but particularly relevant in lockdown: running books!

I've just read Running With The Kenyans, and now moving onto Finn's 2nd book, The Way of the Runner, with his 3rd book about ultra running lines up.

I've also got Dean Karnazes Ultramarathon Man lined up which is supposed to be good.

Any others of note?

I enjoyed John Hanc's The Coolest Race On Earth, about one of the Antarctica marathons.

22 hours ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Tried Strava, just didn’t like it. I like my Runtastic app that lets me set my own running plan, although I know someone who has downloaded it and it’s now part of Adidas and doesn’t appear  to have the same feature.

After struggling on and off over the last few weeks, struggling to make 1.5 miles, my last two runs, being Friday and Sunday I have managed to hit over 3.5 miles. Slow but steady progress!

I don’t like Strava either but I don’t know of a decent alternative that does running and cycling and gives you a decent analysis (map, performance info etc) as well as having a native Apple Watch app. 

I really like the Nike Run Club interface but I don’t really want to use one app for running and another for cycling. 

7 hours ago, mozo said:

Any others of note?

I enjoy listening to David Goggins Can’t hurt me when running.

Not a huge book person but a couple of good documentaries I’ve seen, the iron cowboy on netflix is the story of James Lawrence who took on 50 Ironmans in 50 states in 50 days. On prime, Finding Traction about a woman trying to break the men’s record for a 240 mile ultra and then a short one on YouTube called Why. Was a bit dull but an insight into longer distance racing

Day 1 of my training complete... Monday’s are rest days! ?

did some yoga though, something I want to make more time for during this training.

This year has officially been written off!!

Was supposed to be doing London marathon in April and The full distance Outlaw in July - both cancelled and i can’t see in a million years that London will take place in October even though i have to motivate myself to train again in case it is!! 

I would definitely invest in a decent pair of shoes, i wear mizuno wave inspire, very comfortable. 

11 hours ago, TomF said:

I really need some new wheels, base of my right leg aches after a longer run. Probably my posture as well? 

I reckon it’s potentially gait based but potential for a different injury.

If I look at my trainers when I think they’re “done” my left front has worn to nothing and my right front has semi worn, but the backs are ok - meaning I clearly come down hard on the front section of the foot - both sides but more to the left. If I’m doing that, it indicates a naturally stronger left side but also indicates more pressure. 

That means my running gait is front land, left. That also means I am more liable to get aches on that side. On a bizarre basis a low ache may not mean though you have a problem with that specific area, it may be higher up the leg and to compensate your body overcompensates the pressure lower down.

So, I’d advise doing two things:

- Gait analysis

- See a sports masseuse as the problem may be caused by a knot in a different part of the leg you’re not aware of 

2 hours ago, Rob k said:

This year has officially been written off!!

Was supposed to be doing London marathon in April and The full distance Outlaw in July - both cancelled and i can’t see in a million years that London will take place in October even though i have to motivate myself to train again in case it is!! 

I would definitely invest in a decent pair of shoes, i wear mizuno wave inspire, very comfortable. 

That’s a tough break, I assume you’ll train for October. If it’s cancelled will you continue training and take the place in next years?

First run on the road to 50 for me, 35 minutes at an “easy”’ pace. Was a bit quicker than I expected managed 6.2km

going to start using miles instead of km now too, so 8 miles for me tomorrow at an easy pace again. Looking for about 9:30/mile in my “easy” runs, so around 76 minutes I’ll be happy with

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

That’s a tough break, I assume you’ll train for October. If it’s cancelled will you continue training and take the place in next years?

Yeah, I will take the place next year if it’s cancelled ,  im just ticking along at the moment,  3-4 small runs a week, up to about 6 miles or so, the plan is to start the plan again in middle of June and be ready for Oct 4th, I’m desperate for it to be on in October as have got a couple of things i want to do next March, one is the Grizzly and then the greenman bug won’t be able to as London and outlaw are the 2 priority’s 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

I reckon it’s potentially gait based but potential for a different injury.

If I look at my trainers when I think they’re “done” my left front has worn to nothing and my right front has semi worn, but the backs are ok - meaning I clearly come down hard on the front section of the foot - both sides but more to the left. If I’m doing that, it indicates a naturally stronger left side but also indicates more pressure. 

That means my running gait is front land, left. That also means I am more liable to get aches on that side. On a bizarre basis a low ache may not mean though you have a problem with that specific area, it may be higher up the leg and to compensate your body overcompensates the pressure lower down.

So, I’d advise doing two things:

- Gait analysis

- See a sports masseuse as the problem may be caused by a knot in a different part of the leg you’re not aware of 

So you've got a Kenyan style? Nice!