IGNORED

Runners!

mozo

19 minutes ago, SuperDziek said:

Evening fellow ‘athletes’!

Do any of you wear a heart rate monitor like a Myzone MZ3? Thinking of getting one and have had positive feedback about them from a mate, but wondered if any of you have one and/or whether you’d recommend?

I have a Garmin 935 running watch, which includes a heart rate monitor.

I must confess, I pay little attention to my heart rate, or tracking zones, when I run: if I have to run 9 min miles for a sub 4 marathon, the heart rate will be whatever it will be. I don't promote this as a particularly responsible approach.

1 hour ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

I have a Garmin 935 running watch, which includes a heart rate monitor.

I must confess, I pay little attention to my heart rate, or tracking zones, when I run: if I have to run 9 min miles for a sub 4 marathon, the heart rate will be whatever it will be. I don't promote this as a particularly responsible approach.

Does it give you accurate feedback about calories burned? I have to say that is one thing I want to keep an eye on, and not sure how accurate Strada etc are when tracking runs

39 minutes ago, SuperDziek said:

Does it give you accurate feedback about calories burned? I have to say that is one thing I want to keep an eye on, and not sure how accurate Strada etc are when tracking runs

I have no idea as to the accuracy to be honest.

The watch does do everything I need, and covers multiple activities. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, SuperDziek said:

I think HR monitors will be more accurate than Strava, they always seem to be a basic calculation and usually over estimate. I’ve got just an Apple Watch and I must say I’ve used the calorie count on that daily for a couple of years now to monitor my requirements and always managed to meet my goals (either lose or gain weight) by using it and allowing for 100-200 margin.

2nd run today, 8 miles in 73 minutes. Little quicker than I wanted it to be, need to control my pace more on those easy recovery runs.

I tried out the Nike running club app today on my run, has recorded program guides for various run distances. Was quite clever and a welcome distraction every few minutes talking me through the stages of the run. Probably will get too repetitive after a couple of runs but would recommend for a couple at each distance.

Bit of yoga and stretching afterwards, strength and conditioning tomorrow and then back out running Friday for an hour at easy pace with 10 minutes “fast” in the middle

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

16 hours ago, MarcusX said:

I think HR monitors will be more accurate than Strava, they always seem to be a basic calculation and usually over estimate. I’ve got just an Apple Watch and I must say I’ve used the calorie count on that daily for a couple of years now to monitor my requirements and always managed to meet my goals (either lose or gain weight) by using it and allowing for 100-200 margin.

2nd run today, 8 miles in 73 minutes. Little quicker than I wanted it to be, need to control my pace more on those easy recovery runs.

I tried out the Nike running club app today on my run, has recorded program guides for various run distances. Was quite clever and a welcome distraction every few minutes talking me through the stages of the run. Probably will get too repetitive after a couple of runs but would recommend for a couple at each distance.

Bit of yoga and stretching afterwards, strength and conditioning tomorrow and then back out running Friday for an hour at easy pace with 10 minutes “fast” in the middle

I’ve always been told to be very wary in regards to the information in regards to using your  watch for calorie burn - 

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/01/28/fitbit-style-trackers-overestimate-calories-burnt-experiments/amp/

5 hours ago, Rob k said:

I’ve always been told to be very wary in regards to the information in regards to using your  watch for calorie burn - 

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/01/28/fitbit-style-trackers-overestimate-calories-burnt-experiments/amp/

That article went on to say it was underestimating calculations. Though I agree with you, that’s why I tend to subtract a couple of hundred from my totals each day depending what I’ve done. I think running is more accurate than circuit training / cross training and certainly more accurate than weightlifting, I don’t think any fitness tracker will accurately report weightlifting calorie burn.

Take it as a guide, and keep it consistent and it’s a tool that can be used, but I wouldn’t rely on it or treat it as gospel.

The one Im most interested in but haven’t been able to justify the cost is the whoop band. Pretty big in America mainly amongst CrossFit and semi-pro level athletes. You wear it all the time and it tracks sleep and recovery. Not sure scientifically how it stacks up but quite a few good reviews from users (though most are probably paid to use it!). Major downside is the band is free but it’s a subscription service and 6 month minimum commitment

On 15/05/2020 at 19:35, MarcusX said:

3rd run down, 60 minutes easy pace today

I've found a race I want to attempt, and hoping it will be on https://www.phoenixrunning.co.uk/events/leviathon-50-mile-ultra

19th September hopefully

I'm intrigued to know if races will go ahead in the Autumn. I was tempted to run Manchester Marathon in October, safe in the knowledge that if it is postponed to next year I'd keep my place. Then I thought that maybe it would be irresponsible of me to run such a crowded marathon, even if it does go ahead this year. Would I be contributing to a 2nd wave?

Smaller races, bo problem, but popular ones just don't seem feasible. 

Hey folks. Only just recently discovered this thread. 
I’ve just sent a request to the otib strava group. 
I don’t use strava - I’m a Map My Run guy, but I’ve just loaded it up and will give it a go tomorrow. 

To catch up on my running history. 
Always used to play football so didn’t really focus on actual running. After a back injury at 37 stopped me playing I started running more. 

Haven’t done too many ‘official’ races. My first proper one was the Bristol Half in 2013 where I clocked 1:50. 
Then did the Bristol 10k in 2015 at 46:54. 
My next proper one was Forest of Dean half in 2017, clicking bang on 1:55. 

Every time I’ve done a race, I’ve trained well for it and then lost motivation after and ended up back at square 1! 
Having kids severely hampered my running too - having to do the school run has prevented me from running in the morning so for the last couple of years I’ve mainly been restricted to Saturday & Sunday mornings. 

Lockdown (and no school) has allowed me to up my game. Did 100k in March, and then 135k in April. I’m already on 87k for May. My Map My Run screenie below of month to date (plus a 5 Thursday and a 10 sat morning). 
@CyderInACan god knows how you did over 200k last month. You’ve spurred me on son! 

So, signed up to the club, will try Strava tomorrow morning. Planning on a 10k, so hopefully it works well. 

Good to be in the club - good extra motivation. 

E9DD6419-D2CA-4DD7-9CD2-A47934C11979.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Flames 1

4 hours ago, Harry said:

I don’t use strava - I’m a Map My Run guy, but I’ve just loaded it up and will give it a go tomorrow. 

Always used to play football so didn’t really focus on actual running. After a back injury at 37 stopped me playing I started running more. 

Haven’t done too many ‘official’ races. My first proper one was the Bristol Half in 2013 where I clocked 1:50. 

Every time I’ve done a race, I’ve trained well for it and then lost motivation after and ended up back at square 1! 
Having kids severely hampered my running too - having to do the school run has prevented me from running in the morning so for the last couple of years I’ve mainly been restricted to Saturday & Sunday mornings. 

Lockdown (and no school) has allowed me to up my game. Did 100k in March, and then 135k in April. I’m already on 87k for May. My Map My Run screenie below of month to date (plus a 5 Thursday and a 10 sat morning). 
@CyderInACan god knows how you did over 200k last month. You’ve spurred me on son! 

So, signed up to the club, will try Strava tomorrow morning. Planning on a 10k, so hopefully it works well. 

Welcome aboard 

So. I tried Strava this morning. 
Did my usual 10k, no deviation, and Strava clocked it as 10.2. 
I’ll persevere with it for now, but now I’m unsure which is correct, Map My Run clocks it at 10, Strava at 10.2. 
Looks like Strava had a bit of deviation around the 4-5k point  

97CAD5C7-518B-4EA3-998A-6DE5D6E7ECCF.jpeg

Hi Harry, welcome to the fastest growing football forum running club in South Bristol! You get team number 21. Wear it with pride!

With a 1 year old, I know full well the limits that kids can place on running time. Life used to be so simple with so much time and O took it for granted. Why didn't I run more when I was single!

It sounds like you are clocking up some serious mileage (I only work in miles!). Keep up the good work!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Harry said:

So. I tried Strava this morning. 
Did my usual 10k, no deviation, and Strava clocked it as 10.2. 
I’ll persevere with it for now, but now I’m unsure which is correct, Map My Run clocks it at 10, Strava at 10.2. 
Looks like Strava had a bit of deviation around the 4-5k point  

97CAD5C7-518B-4EA3-998A-6DE5D6E7ECCF.jpeg

Welcome!

ive found a discrepancy between strava and my Apple Watch, strava tends to say I’ve done slightly more. You can use MapMyRun and export the data to a file and upload to strava, bit of faff but useful if you want to use MapMyRun but contribute to the strava group

• Like 1

12 hours ago, mozo said:

I'm intrigued to know if races will go ahead in the Autumn. I was tempted to run Manchester Marathon in October, safe in the knowledge that if it is postponed to next year I'd keep my place. Then I thought that maybe it would be irresponsible of me to run such a crowded marathon, even if it does go ahead this year. Would I be contributing to a 2nd wave?

Smaller races, bo problem, but popular ones just don't seem feasible. 

It’s a tough one, I suppose if the government gives the events the go ahead then they are confident it’s safe... but that’s for another topic!

i thought at least for an ultra type event with limited numbers it’s more likely to be on as less spectators, more spaced out event and much less runners.

I was supposed to be competing at Body Power this weekend in Birmingham but that’s been postponed to October 30th and In the current climate can’t see that being on without Some serious progress in fighting this virus.

1 hour ago, MarcusX said:

It’s a tough one, I suppose if the government gives the events the go ahead then they are confident it’s safe... but that’s for another topic!

i thought at least for an ultra type event with limited numbers it’s more likely to be on as less spectators, more spaced out event and much less runners.

I was supposed to be competing at Body Power this weekend in Birmingham but that’s been postponed to October 30th and In the current climate can’t see that being on without Some serious progress in fighting this virus.

Yeah and I think you're right that an Ultra or smaller event will be fine. I was more concerned about my choice of marathon. I'm supposed to be doing the Dursley 12 miler in 1st week of November and fully expect that to be on.

4 hours ago, MarcusX said:

Welcome!

ive found a discrepancy between strava and my Apple Watch, strava tends to say I’ve done slightly more. You can use MapMyRun and export the data to a file and upload to strava, bit of faff but useful if you want to use MapMyRun but contribute to the strava group

Cheers. Yeah, sounds a bit of a faff. I’ll persevere with Strava and see if it adjusts. It seems to have lost me a bit when I went under a bit of a tree canopy in the road.  Maybe it’ll pick it up better next time. 

19 hours ago, Harry said:

Welcome aboard mate! 200km for April (or was it 220, I forget) was needed as I’d been doing less than usual due to a rib injury picked up playing football. 

I used to use Endomondo but Strava is way better - and more popular. The OTIB club is great, some of the guys in there put me to shame! 

29 minutes ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Anyone know if you can have two apps running at once? 

Wouldn't mind joining you on Strava as long as I can have my usual running app running at the same time for my interval running. 

I think it’s possible. I was going to do this today, but just ran Strava instead. I’d initially opened both and set them off, whilst I went to get ready and they both clocked time. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CyderInACan said:

Welcome aboard mate! 200km for April (or was it 220, I forget) was needed as I’d been doing less than usual due to a rib injury picked up playing football. 

I used to use Endomondo but Strava is way better - and more popular. The OTIB club is great, some of the guys in there put me to shame! 

Well....that 20 year break from football was always come back to bite once you started playing again!! 

Pre-lockdown I was still playing 5-a-side on Monday nights, and that also hampered my desire to run more. I’d run Sat & Sun mornings and play footy Monday night, then my body was too stiff to do owt again til Saturday! 

Fair play to you though Reg, that distance you clocked last month was incredible. 

It’s good to be part of this Strava group now, I hope it’s gonna spur me on to keep challenging myself and not let things slip again. 

I hadn’t realised Norwegian Chris was also in the group. I was with him in Benalmadina just before lockdown and I talked to him about upping my game. Interesting Chris fact - he has a tattoo of all the cities where he’s run a marathon. 

Edited by Harry
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Harry said:

Well....that 20 year break from football was always come back to bite once you started playing again!! 

More than 20 years for 11-a-side! Think my early retirement up the Downs was 1996. I still blame it on Smurf. Still kept playing 5aside though. And now playing for Sands Utd I’ve actually played my first international! 

The running has been a salvation though through our (watered down) lockdown. Outdoor time, headspace and exercise all rolled into one. I’m loving it. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Wouldn't mind joining you on Strava as long as I can have my usual running app running at the same time for my interval running. 

If you have an Apple Watch, you can use the Workout App or NRC App and sync it to Strava at a later date using the HealthFit App.

Disclaimer: I really shouldn't respond to posts after drinking red wine. 

9 hours ago, formerly known as ivan said:

My Garmin watch syncs to my phone via the Garmin Connect app. Then within Garmin Connect it uploads to Strava. I.e. you may be able to keep your normal app and then just to Strava. Obviously depends on the particular device.

4 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

Today’s run dedicated to the great man. Thought about running the whole way with a sponge in hand and carrying anyone I saw on the floor but thought better of it.

23C3B95B-66DA-406C-8445-67ACCE13146E.png

Hey. I’ve just looked at your route and you run past my mums house on Gravel Hill Road. 

11 minutes ago, Harry said:

Hey. I’ve just looked at your route and you run past my mums house on Gravel Hill Road. 

Probably multiple times a week mate, my house is on the David Wilson estate they built 2-3 years ago that runs parallel to Gravel Hill. Come out of there and turn straight down GHR most days - either going all the way down to Wickwar Road or going through Yate Rocks. 

Loads of good running routes round there (Wickwar, Horton, Old Sodbury) when this is over and you can park round your old dears again!

49 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Probably multiple times a week mate, my house is on the David Wilson estate they built 2-3 years ago that runs parallel to Gravel Hill. Come out of there and turn straight down GHR most days - either going all the way down to Wickwar Road or going through Yate Rocks. 

Loads of good running routes round there (Wickwar, Horton, Old Sodbury) when this is over and you can park round your old dears again!

She lives in the farmhouse between Yate Rocks and Wickwar, by the closed gate to the quarry. 
You’ve likely ran past her plenty of times then - she’s the crazy woman who’s often seen taking her cat for a walk ?

• Haha 1

Has anyone got any good off-road routes (10-20km) in Bristol/South Glos? I’m not one for just going round and round a park really either as I’m always tempted to stop early if I go near where I’ve parked up.