IGNORED

Runners!

mozo

5 hours ago, TomF said:

Just had a look at the route - its kinda as I imagined it would be but yikes what a run that would be.   I absolutely love it around Llanberis way. 

I’ve cycled around there last year - we did the 3 peaks but rode our bikes between the peaks - i love the scenery.

1 hour ago, Rob k said:

I’ve cycled around there last year - we did the 3 peaks but rode our bikes between the peaks - i love the scenery.

Looks good mate. Tricky. 

The most uphill run I did was back in 2004/5 ish when I took part in a John O’Groats to Lands End race. We had teams of 7 or 8 runners and each team had an 80 mile leg. Our leg was from Culloden to Blair Atholl, going over the Cairn Gorm mountains through Aviemore. 
My 10-mile stint was as you approach the mountains, so I had some super-steep sections. 

Worst thing was, we had to fly to Inverness the morning after England beat Wales 2-0 in a qualifying campaign. I was out all night, no sleep, nearly missed the flight, and was absolutely hanging the next day when I had to start my leg at 8am!! How I completed that I’ll never know - particularly as in my rush for the flight I forgot to pack my running shoes so had to run the 10 miles in a standard pair of daps!! My toes were bleeding for a few days after, ha ha! 

Edited by Harry

11 hours ago, Harry said:

Anyway - in slightly more interesting news, ha ha, my 7k this morning takes me to 104k for the month. Want to try to get over 150k this month so I’m well on course for this. 

Ooooh you bugger, tonight’s 11k took me to 101k for the month! 

Strava was shite tonight, useless so had to check on mapometer the actual distance 

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

16 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

Ooooh you bugger, tonight’s 11k took me to 101k for the month! 

Strava was shite tonight, useless so had to check on mapometer the actual distance 

Ahem. 

Don’t try this at home kids.
(Probably about 20k of walks in there tbf but running on average 12k a day.)

Bizarrely, any less than 10k a day and my legs feel bad, I run better if I’m doing that distance day in day out.

F82A7C51-BB7F-4756-ADA7-99013E6C7EB1.jpeg

Edited by Silvio Dante
  • Like 2
  • Flames 1

55 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Ahem. 

Don’t try this at home kids.
(Probably about 20k of walks in there tbf but running on average 12k a day.)

Bizarrely, any less than 10k a day and my legs feel bad, I run better if I’m doing that distance day in day out.

F82A7C51-BB7F-4756-ADA7-99013E6C7EB1.jpeg

Wow. Hats off mate. That’s some going. 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, TomF said:

It’s something like a fiver a month. I do think that puts a lot of people off. Sometimes wonder if it was fixed fee of £1-2 for everyone (ie not free) then they’d probably get more revenue than the 90% who probably pay nothing atm. Was surprised to read they’ve never made a profit 

What does the £5 get you?  Is it worth it as someone who’s only really semi serious, ie wanna get as many kms in my legs as pos and see some stats but not too bothered about finely detailed analysis. 

6 hours ago, Harry said:

What does the £5 get you?  Is it worth it as someone who’s only really semi serious, ie wanna get as many kms in my legs as pos and see some stats but not too bothered about finely detailed analysis. 

I got the other half the premium version as part of her birthday present  (romance!). She’s a casual runner - wants to see as you distance, how quick she is per segment, average pace etc. She had all that in the free version and, per her, for someone like her there wasn’t anything extra on the premium to make it worth it. She gets more detailed segment leaderboards and ability to set goals, but nothing game changing

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

It's good to see more people joining, I only created the group on a whim to see who might be interested.

Likewise this thread. Hopefully this will be a force for good. Or evil. Either way is fine.

• Like 1

Injury question....

You're recovering from a tendon injury - knee pain, ankle sprain, abductor etc - when do you resume training? 

I presume few of us follow the guidelines, so do you wait for zero pain?

Do you wait certain amount of time?

Do you wait until there's nothing more than a dull ache? 

I ask because I'm awful at resting injuries and I've been "resting" my knee for nearly 2 weeks.

I've done physio exercises probably twice in that time, but terrible at that too!

2 hours ago, Harry said:

New 10k PB this morning. Over half a minute shaved off my previous. ?

Fair play mate - my 10k last night could not have been much worse. Legs just felt horrendous and i did all i could just to get round ??

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, !james said:

Struggle to run in the heat! I started in October last year and used to the cold and wet...

I'm usually a late afternoon runner so will have to delay it to avoid the heat, I've never been an early morning person but might try it...!

Yep, I went for a 2pm run yesterday afternoon and that was hot! No cloud cover but thankfully a bit of breeze. Took advantage of the metrobus not running to run someone of the south Bristol route. Nice and flat with a bit of countryside thrown in. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, !james said:

Struggle to run in the heat! I started in October last year and used to the cold and wet...

I'm usually a late afternoon runner so will have to delay it to avoid the heat, I've never been an early morning person but might try it...!

I used to do evenings after work, but started doing mornings a few years back. Much prefer it now. Great start to the day. 
Temperature this morning was supposed to be 11/12 degrees, but there was a lovely mist in the air and it felt more like 5/6, so was refreshing rather than hot. 

• Like 2

On 19 May 2020 at 12:26, When the river runs said:

That's a really good time 10k , I  might be wrong but I think that is county level.

I might join a running club after this covid 19 settles down and aim for a sub 36 minute 10k .

Apparently you could knock off a couple of minutes wearing those vapourfly/ Alphafly Nike trainers

I used to run the towpath series. It was the standard of a good club runner. I was sometimes five minutes behind the County runners.

Thought I’d compare Strava with Endomondo (which I used to use all the time) this morning to see if any difference in data. 

Strava clocked me at 4.46 miles whereas Endomondo said 4.32 miles. Average pace Per mile on Strava was 11:05 (yep, slow!!) and Endomondo was 11:49 (even slower ffs) despite starting and stopping them at the same time.

Strava’s mile splits also seem out, as it says my 1st and 2nd miles were identical times, and the 3rd and 4th. 

BUT Strava says I burnt more calories. So I definitely prefer Strava ?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, SuperDziek said:

Thought I’d compare Strava with Endomondo (which I used to use all the time) this morning to see if any difference in data. 

Strava clocked me at 4.46 miles whereas Endomondo said 4.32 miles. Average pace Per mile on Strava was 11:05 (yep, slow!!) and Endomondo was 11:49 (even slower ffs) despite starting and stopping them at the same time.

Strava’s mile splits also seem out, as it says my 1st and 2nd miles were identical times, and the 3rd and 4th. 

BUT Strava says I burnt more calories. So I definitely prefer Strava ?

Yeah, had the same thing with Map My Run. 
My MMR 10k, clocks 10.25k on Strava. 

As I’d used Map My Run for so long, and interrogating the maps I can see that it seems to be the most accurate (doesn’t seem to cut off as many corners as Strava), I’m going to keep running two apps together - MMR to judge my ‘real’ distance vs time, and Strava to engage with the otib community. 

Edited by Harry

12 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

Strava has been shite the last few days for me, gonna go out in a minute & see what it's like today. Getting a bit naused off 

As said mate, you can run another app simultaneously if it keeps giving you bother, so if it does balls up on you, you’ve got the backup to confirm your distance 

Edit - another thought. I used to have some issues with MMR when I needed to do a software update on the iPhone. Is your phone needing an update? 

Edited by Harry

6 minutes ago, Harry said:

As said mate, you can run another app simultaneously if it keeps giving you bother, so if it does balls up on you, you’ve got the backup to confirm your distance 

Edit - another thought. I used to have some issues with MMR when I needed to do a software update on the iPhone. Is your phone needing an update? 

It updated a few days ago funnily enough, still, I'll see how it goes & report back 

1 hour ago, CyderInACan said:

It updated a few days ago funnily enough, still, I'll see how it goes & report back 

Working properly - albeit I turned the phone off and on again before going out. Man it's hot out there now, but just clocked a PB for 0-5km at 24:16, bit of breeze down on the docks but other than that pretty unrelenting heat 

• Like 3

I’ve just shaved a few seconds off my best mile - in the club im in we’re doing 3 mile runs and the last mile is as fast as you can - did 6.34 tonight down from 6.39,  not as fast as the speedsters but going in right direction!! 

• Like 5
  • Flames 1

2 hours ago, Rob k said:

I’ve just shaved a few seconds off my best mile - in the club im in we’re doing 3 mile runs and the last mile is as fast as you can - did 6.34 tonight down from 6.39,  not as fast as the speedsters but going in right direction!! 

I only work in kms, so just been trying to work that out. 
I think it’s about a 4.04 km, for 1.6kms. 
That’s damn quick bud! 

So, bought some new trainers this week. First run yesterday, blisters!! Bugger. 
Managed another run this morning in my old trainers, with cotton wool and plasters over the blisters. That worked well. 

I’ve recently been doing regular 10k’s and stepped this up to an hour (12.5k) this morning. 

I have a question though. An hour was just about all I could manage without taking on board a drink. I might’ve managed another 1-2k possibly. 
What do people do for drinks on longer runs? 
The only times I’ve ever done more than 13-14k have been on official events, so drinks are en route. I was thinking of sticking a bottle outside my house, doing 12k to finish at my house, take a drink and then try another few kms, but then there’s the mental aspect of “well, I’m home now and I gotta run off again!”  
Do people take bottles with them, if so what’s the best method - one of those carrying ones with the handle, or a small bag/carrier? Any recommendations. I don’t really want to carry a bottle around but if I start doing longer distances I’ll need a solution. 

17 minutes ago, Harry said:

So, bought some new trainers this week. First run yesterday, blisters!! Bugger. 
Managed another run this morning in my old trainers, with cotton wool and plasters over the blisters. That worked well. 

I’ve recently been doing regular 10k’s and stepped this up to an hour (12.5k) this morning. 

I have a question though. An hour was just about all I could manage without taking on board a drink. I might’ve managed another 1-2k possibly. 
What do people do for drinks on longer runs? 
The only times I’ve ever done more than 13-14k have been on official events, so drinks are en route. I was thinking of sticking a bottle outside my house, doing 12k to finish at my house, take a drink and then try another few kms, but then there’s the mental aspect of “well, I’m home now and I gotta run off again!”  
Do people take bottles with them, if so what’s the best method - one of those carrying ones with the handle, or a small bag/carrier? Any recommendations. I don’t really want to carry a bottle around but if I start doing longer distances I’ll need a solution. 

I'm the worst person to give advice because I can comfortably run 10-15 miles without a drink. It's probably not healthy though. Sometimes I take a few gummy sweets out just for the sugar hit and to get the saliva glands working.

• Like 1