IGNORED

Runners!

mozo

42 minutes ago, Harry said:

So, bought some new trainers this week. First run yesterday, blisters!! Bugger. 
Managed another run this morning in my old trainers, with cotton wool and plasters over the blisters. That worked well. 

I’ve recently been doing regular 10k’s and stepped this up to an hour (12.5k) this morning. 

I have a question though. An hour was just about all I could manage without taking on board a drink. I might’ve managed another 1-2k possibly. 
What do people do for drinks on longer runs? 
The only times I’ve ever done more than 13-14k have been on official events, so drinks are en route. I was thinking of sticking a bottle outside my house, doing 12k to finish at my house, take a drink and then try another few kms, but then there’s the mental aspect of “well, I’m home now and I gotta run off again!”  
Do people take bottles with them, if so what’s the best method - one of those carrying ones with the handle, or a small bag/carrier? Any recommendations. I don’t really want to carry a bottle around but if I start doing longer distances I’ll need a solution. 

Personally i hate carrying a bottle in my hands so would take a camelback 

https://shop.greenflag.com/product/camelbak-camelbak-hydrobak-hydration-pack-535?variant=63&gclid=CjwKCAjwtqj2BRBYEiwAqfzur170LpavCa-8R2nBpums2j0tO-Aa756tR0bfdBR8UW9QTnPVnQ25mxoCiWAQAvD_BwE

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Harry said:

Managed another run this morning in my old trainers, with cotton wool and plasters over the blisters. That worked well. 

I’ve recently been doing regular 10k’s and stepped this up to an hour (12.5k) this morning. 

I have a question though. An hour was just about all I could manage without taking on board a drink. I might’ve managed another 1-2k possibly. 
The only times I’ve ever done more than 13-14k have been on official events, so drinks are en route. I was thinking of sticking a bottle outside my house, doing 12k to finish at my house, take a drink and then try another few kms, but then there’s the mental aspect of “well, I’m home now and I gotta run off again!”  
Do people take bottles with them, if so what’s the best method - one of those carrying ones with the handle, or a small bag/carrier? Any recommendations. I don’t really want to carry a bottle around but if I start doing longer distances I’ll need a solution. 

I've always run with a running bottle with handle for runs over 10/12k, got a cheap karrimor one from sports direct think it's 600ml and does the job - never had a problem running with it! Proper runners tell me it's messes your movements up but doesn't for me.

Longer runs I used to either leave an extra bottle en route or always plan to run past a garage or shop and grab a bottle. 

Can never get on with running belts and camelbaks seem a bit extreme for anything under a half. 

• Like 1

On 20/05/2020 at 13:24, Harry said:

I used to do evenings after work, but started doing mornings a few years back. Much prefer it now. Great start to the day. 
Temperature this morning was supposed to be 11/12 degrees, but there was a lovely mist in the air and it felt more like 5/6, so was refreshing rather than hot. 

I went out Wednesday morning too it was lovely!

4 hours ago, Harry said:

When I started going out further I drove to a place on my route and left a drink in a hidden place, I’m looking into a camelbak type thing or those belts. I took a drink today and carried the bottle and it just annoyed me.

a few runs this week, Wednesday did some intervals. 15 minutes easy into 10 x 2 minute sprints 1 minute recovery. Managed to hit under 6min/mile pace on most of them but only really know from glancing at my watch - does anyone know any good apps for recording interval times?

Had a shit day at work Thursday so bailed my run and went out Friday for 8 miles at a quicker pace. Took about 10 minutes off my previous 8 mile time unintentionally.

12 miles today on trails round longleat was nice, something different but a bit slower overall. Got some hills in which I’m not used to, that was fun! 26ish miles for this week.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Harry said:

Training in the Caribbean heat meant drink stops were vital. If solo I would opt for a 5 mile loop that passed a water fountain halfway and then have drinks in a cooler at home. If running with friends, we would divvy up points to drop off bottles. I have tried hydration belts and hand-carriers but didn't really like either as a solution.

• Like 1

Harry.

Start with a 350 ml running bottle for longer runs. And then experiment with a bottle 100ml bigger. You may be able run efficiently with a bottle larger again. Many can't if they run pocket to socket for instance as it will affect momentum.

Edited by Cowshed
  • Like 1

On 20/05/2020 at 13:24, Harry said:

I used to do evenings after work, but started doing mornings a few years back. Much prefer it now. Great start to the day. 
Temperature this morning was supposed to be 11/12 degrees, but there was a lovely mist in the air and it felt more like 5/6, so was refreshing rather than hot. 

For those that do morning runs, do you mean get up and go, or just at any point in the morning?

I would like to just get up and go for a run but my body just doesn’t feel ready for it straight away.

Any tips of warm up/stretches for a get up and go run?

1 hour ago, formerly known as ivan said:

For those that do morning runs, do you mean get up and go, or just at any point in the morning?

I would like to just get up and go for a run but my body just doesn’t feel ready for it straight away.

I used to do my runs 1st thing, and for 20 milers it would be as early as 3am. I didn't really bother with much in the way of stretching, but would take it steady to start with. To be honest, I didn't do much stretching after either: I really am not a good example of a runner.

I didn't particularly like running 1st thing, and generally would do better running in the evenings, but I could always find a reason to not go after work, so getting up and heading straight out means it got it out of the way.

• Like 1

Just now, One Team In Keynsham said:

I used to do my runs 1st thing, and for 20 milers it would be as early as 3am. I didn't really bother with much in the way of stretching, but would take it steady to start with. To be honest, I didn't do much stretching after either: I really am not a good example of a runner.

I didn't particularly like running 1st thing, and generally would do better running in the evenings, but I could always find a reason to not go after work, so getting up and heading straight out means it got it out of the way.

Very similar to me - if i don’t run in the morning i can usually find an excuse not to go in the evening - I’m an early riser anyway

9 minutes ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

Sounds familiar, with the exception of the 20 miles!

Before lockdown I would run 5 miles home after work as it would save so much on bus fares. And during the summer months I would sweat more on the bus than running 5 miles!

Since lockdown I’ve tried lunchtime runs to get out the house but it’s too easy to not go if I can’t be bothered.

3 hours ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Same as others, if I don’t do it first thing, I find it difficult to do it later, what with either work, kids, arranging a run around mealtimes etc. 

I get up and go. Have a quick splash of my face with cold water to give me a wake up, have a glass of water and a banana, 2 minute stretch, and off I go. 

Swings and roundabouts on the weather too. If it’s gonna be a hot day, then generally if you run first thing then it’s not too oppressive. But on the flip side, on a cold day, it’s colder first thing. 
Overall though, I just find it easier motivation wise and then the rest of the day is free. 

On 20/05/2020 at 17:49, Cowshed said:

I used to run the towpath series. It was the standard of a good club runner. I was sometimes five minutes behind the County runners.

Yes sorry I got mixed up. 

I read Ronniie o'Sullivan's book and he mentions his best time being sub 35 and was going to quit snooker to try and get his time lower so that he could run for Essex  as he thought he maybe able to knock more minutes off.

Runs sub 35 10k's and makes centurys with either hand in snooker.

• Flames 1

Had to have a break today. 
Done 148k for the month so far and was doing really well. Was hoping to get as close to 200k as I could. 
10k Sat, 12.5k Sun, 7k Tues, then I felt absolutely shattered for the rest of Tuesday. Would usually try 10k on a Weds morning but was till shattered this morning. 

Hope I might be able to do something tomorrow and then 20k minimum over sat & sun to try to reach 175k. 

I think I might’ve been overdoing it though - was so so knackered yesterday and today! 

Does anyone get this? The sense of ‘too much’? I may need to slow down a bit again. 
I blame @CyderInACan, his 200k last month spurred me on and I don’t think I was ready ?

• Confused 1

11 hours ago, Harry said:

Had to have a break today. 
Done 148k for the month so far and was doing really well. Was hoping to get as close to 200k as I could. 
10k Sat, 12.5k Sun, 7k Tues, then I felt absolutely shattered for the rest of Tuesday. Would usually try 10k on a Weds morning but was till shattered this morning. 

Hope I might be able to do something tomorrow and then 20k minimum over sat & sun to try to reach 175k. 

I think I might’ve been overdoing it though - was so so knackered yesterday and today! 

Does anyone get this? The sense of ‘too much’? I may need to slow down a bit again. 
I blame @CyderInACan, his 200k last month spurred me on and I don’t think I was ready ?

I think you’ve probably got to consider that, IIRC, you were running every other day, 7s and 10s. You’ve added in a 12.5 to that and the day after your “normal” longer loop - it’ll naturally take time to adjust. I had the same last year - I was typically running 5 days, mainly 7s and the odd 10 plus, and it was psychologically and physically tough when I went to every day and upped the distance. Still a lot of days now when I feel tired before I go out and think I can’t face it - bizarrely, they often tend to be longer and better runs as the legs wake up 2k in.

So, yeah, too much is totally natural. Best advice I can give is - while ensuring you don’t over run to the point of injury - next time you feel tired try a test 1-2k and see if you feel up to carrying on. You will, as your mind won’t let you quit.

Also, “route fatigue” is a big thing - definitely found that in lockdown. Work used to take me, in addition to Bristol, to London/Dublin/Belfast so I’d only run from home once a week. To go to running from home every time is mentally tough - small hills feel like big ones before you go out. Vary the route as much as possible and try new ones often.

Finally, join the challenges on Strava. A virtual medal is a strange motivation but it works!

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Harry said:

Sorry mate! If it helps I’m having a much quieter month and am only on 131k with 4 days left including today. Even the best athletes need a rest. I tend to suffer from what I call runner’s guilt* when I don’t go out though, but at the same time I know when I need a rest for a few days. Should still end up on 150k min though. Last month's 220k will probably very much be the high watermark though as I ran every day except Easter Sunday. 

*I'm feeling it now even as I type!

• Like 3

On 26/05/2020 at 21:46, When the river runs said:

Yes sorry I got mixed up. 

I read Ronniie o'Sullivan's book and he mentions his best time being sub 35 and was going to quit snooker to try and get his time lower so that he could run for Essex  as he thought he maybe able to knock more minutes off.

Runs sub 35 10k's and makes centurys with either hand in snooker.

If anyone would like to hear Ronnie talking about running, he recently did a half hour podcast chat on The Way of the Runner pod. I may have mentioned this before, can't be arsed to check!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, mozo said:

There have been some incredible number 23s....

First Michael Jordan. Then David Beckham.

Now, Stu takes the 23 shirt in the OTIB running club. Wear it with pride sir ?

They were just keeping it warm for me ?

To be honest, I'm not much of a runner. But seeing as the gyms won't be open for a while, I've had to bite the bullet and get involved in this running malarky! 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, elhombrecito said:

They were just keeping it warm for me ?

To be honest, I'm not much of a runner. But seeing as the gyms won't be open for a while, I've had to bite the bullet and get involved in this running malarky! 

One day they'll make a Netflix series about your OTIB running club exploits and it'll be huge.

All runners welcome here. This thread has been really handy for tips and support. Hope the malarkey treats you well ?

4 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

I think you’ve probably got to consider that, IIRC, you were running every other day, 7s and 10s. You’ve added in a 12.5 to that and the day after your “normal” longer loop - it’ll naturally take time to adjust. I had the same last year - I was typically running 5 days, mainly 7s and the odd 10 plus, and it was psychologically and physically tough when I went to every day and upped the distance. Still a lot of days now when I feel tired before I go out and think I can’t face it - bizarrely, they often tend to be longer and better runs as the legs wake up 2k in.

So, yeah, too much is totally natural. Best advice I can give is - while ensuring you don’t over run to the point of injury - next time you feel tired try a test 1-2k and see if you feel up to carrying on. You will, as your mind won’t let you quit.

Also, “route fatigue” is a big thing - definitely found that in lockdown. Work used to take me, in addition to Bristol, to London/Dublin/Belfast so I’d only run from home once a week. To go to running from home every time is mentally tough - small hills feel like big ones before you go out. Vary the route as much as possible and try new ones often.

Finally, join the challenges on Strava. A virtual medal is a strange motivation but it works!

4 hours ago, CyderInACan said:

Sorry mate! If it helps I’m having a much quieter month and am only on 131k with 4 days left including today. Even the best athletes need a rest. I tend to suffer from what I call runner’s guilt* when I don’t go out though, but at the same time I know when I need a rest for a few days. Should still end up on 150k min though. Last month's 220k will probably very much be the high watermark though as I ran every day except Easter Sunday. 

*I'm feeling it now even as I type!

Yeah, felt so tired but also really guilty that I couldn’t run Wednesday or Thursday. 
Silvio - yes I was very tempted to just go out and do 2k, as I know full well I’d keep going. But when I woke this morning I was still feeling stiff so thought I’d have an extra rest day. 
You’re right about route fatigue. I tend to run pretty much the same routes with just a few variations. Whichever way I run out of charfield I have to go up a hill at some point, and on my regular 10k run, there’s a hill back to the main road at the 8.5-9.5 stage. 
When I first started running this route, that hill was fine. Now it seems to be getting steeper and steeper in every run!! 
I might try taking a short drive out to Wickwar or Tytherington, park up and run some different routes. Spice it up a bit. 

Edited by Harry
  • Like 2

Worth a mention... Nike has a 30% discount on everything including running kit and shoes. I think it last til end of today. Just use the code NIKE30 on the official Nike site.

It doesn't look like you can buy Vaporfly, but all the Zoom, Pegasus, Downshifter and the like are on there but sizes selling out fast...

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mozo said:

Worth a mention... Nike has a 30% discount on everything including running kit and shoes. I think it last til end of today. Just use the code NIKE30 on the official Nike site.

It doesn't look like you can buy Vaporfly, but all the Zoom, Pegasus, Downshifter and the like are on there but sizes selling out fast...

Order myself a new short sleeved running top as  all mine seem to have shrunk from being locked away over the summer months...

12 hours ago, mozo said:

Cheers for the heads-up. 
I usually run in Nike but last week bought a new pair of Adidas as they had a sale on. They’re rather a tighter fit though and not overly comfy. 

So, with the discount you advise, I just got a pair of Zoom Pegasus 35 Flyease 4E. 
Usually £104, reduced to £68. The 30% off took me to £52, and I then got a further 8% off on a voucher from my BUPA medical insurance shopping rewards. 
Total paid £48 for a £104 pair of daps (including delivery charge!). Lovely. 

Edited by Harry
  • Like 2

Ah bollox! 
So after a 3 day rest where I’d be feeling lethargic, went back out this morning, was feeling good, set for a 10k PB, and felt a hamstring tweak at 8k!! 
Looks like a few more days rest for me, sadly. 

Currently limping home the last 2k! 

19 minutes ago, wayne allisons tongues said:

Been doing 5K per day since start of May 

41 mins down to 35 mins now, still finding it hard.

Think I need better running shoes to be honest feet hurt when I finish and they are years old.

I refer you to post #351 sir. Get on the Nike website and enter code NIKE30