IGNORED

Runners!

mozo

12 hours ago, elhombrecito said:

Did my furthest run in many years today (still only just over 10k :laugh:) and whilst it's good for my fitness, definitely not getting any enjoyment out of it. It's just so boring! Appreciate that this opinion won't go down well in this thread :fear:

Ha! I guess the running is sometimes just a means to an end. Outdoor time, music on, feeling of achievement, fitness increasing, weight decreasing, mental health upturn are all positive benefits. 

Varying your route helps too - albeit I tend to stick to the docks, Ashton Court and the towpath. 

1 hour ago, formerly known as ivan said:

I don’t get how you can make yourself run if you don’t enjoy it. Speaking personally here, but it’s when I don’t enjoy it I don’t do it. When I see improvements and hit milestones the energy is great. I know before I even leave the house if it will be a good run or not purely but the way I am feeling.

As mentioned above, the Mrs is getting into the couch to 5k and running was the last thing she ever thought she would be. She was hating it as it is obviously a struggle making a start but in less than two weeks, with slight improvements each time, when we finished the most recent run a few days ago she actually said at the end of it... ‘I enjoyed that’. I honestly couldn’t believe it. Never thought I would hear those words coming from her mouth after a run!

The trick is learning to control those feelings and emotions, if your run is determined by your feeling then work on that. Put some music on, or watch a quick couple of videos on youtube while you're getting ready? Reframing those thoughts is 90% of the battle.

I listen and read a lot of people that talk about mindset, David Goggins, Ben Bergeron, Ross Edgley and Jordan Peterson (to an extent) to name a few of the mainstream ones. It's helped me target my feelings and know when to switch off that voice in my head, or at least understand why it's making me feel the way it does. Particularly good for pushing through barriers on longer or more challenging runs/workouts.

On a personal note for me, havent ran since Sunday, ankle felt good for 2 days. 5k run this morning and it's sore again. Definitely got something going on. New trainers are on their way so hoping that will help, think I'll stick to the bike until they arrive

• Like 1

Really, really impressed with the new earphones. After almost a year running without music after my last earphones packed in, it's been an absolute joy to be running with music again, I'd forgotten just how much it picks me up when I'm starting to flag.

d8935f40b07c48d13442c02b7a7551d2.jpg

Looked at loads of pricier models but none of them ticked everything I wanted (i.e. properly waterproof and comfortable to run in) at a price I was happy to pay just for workout earphones, as I already have a nice pair of wireless over ear headphones for general use. 

First impressions are really good, first time of having an 'AirPods' style earphone, was worried they'd move around and not be comfortable to run in but they're great, and for £46 if they only last a year I won't lose any sleep as opposed to some which are £150-£200.

Anker Soundcore Life P2

• Like 3

On 19/06/2020 at 09:36, MarcusX said:

The trick is learning to control those feelings and emotions, if your run is determined by your feeling then work on that. Put some music on, or watch a quick couple of videos on youtube while you're getting ready? Reframing those thoughts is 90% of the battle.

I listen and read a lot of people that talk about mindset, David Goggins, Ben Bergeron, Ross Edgley and Jordan Peterson (to an extent) to name a few of the mainstream ones. It's helped me target my feelings and know when to switch off that voice in my head, or at least understand why it's making me feel the way it does. Particularly good for pushing through barriers on longer or more challenging runs/workouts.

On a personal note for me, havent ran since Sunday, ankle felt good for 2 days. 5k run this morning and it's sore again. Definitely got something going on. New trainers are on their way so hoping that will help, think I'll stick to the bike until they arrive

Strong advice, thanks for that. So much depends on the day I’ve had as well which is why I’m trying to keep to the morning runs so I have no excuses.

Hope the ankle improves soon. Done a 1.5 mile run tonight with the Mrs doing her couch to 5k and my ass cheek felt good so hopefully back to running tomorrow morning.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Strong advice, thanks for that. So much depends on the day I’ve had as well which is why I’m trying to keep to the morning runs so I have no excuses.

Hope the ankle improves soon. Done a 1.5 mile run tonight with the Mrs doing her couch to 5k and my ass cheek felt good so hopefully back to running tomorrow morning.

No worries, yea if you can get it done in the morning I find it really does help. You dont worry all day about whether you'll get time or how you're feeling and I find it sets you up well for the day

Obviously getting out of bed is sometimes the hardest part ?

Any one have any good warm down techniques? Other than a cold thatchers gold. Been struggling with niggling injuries, I rest up in between running so I’m  ready to go again but finish with another part of my body hurting for days, even after a short run like 2k. 

Struggled with back pain, knee pain and ankle pain recently but rarely the same leg which is confusing me. 

3 hours ago, You Do The Dziekanowski said:

Any one have any good warm down techniques? Other than a cold thatchers gold. Been struggling with niggling injuries, I rest up in between running so I’m  ready to go again but finish with another part of my body hurting for days, even after a short run like 2k. 

Struggled with back pain, knee pain and ankle pain recently but rarely the same leg which is confusing me. 

Have you been fitted for shoes properly? It can make a big difference. I don't really do anything special after a run, I always start and end my run around half a mile from home and then use the walking time to/from as a warm up/cool down, but I've had knee and back pain for so long that I think I've just learned to live with it!

Edited by BRISTOL86
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

I went out about 8am today and did a 10k. My shirt was drenched. I reckon for the rest of this week it might need to be 6am starts or cooking may occur!

I’m an early bird too and it’s usually nice and cool. Tomorrow at 8am it’ll be 19c. At 6am it’ll be 16c. 
Either way, it’s gonna be unpleasant. 

• Like 1

On 23/06/2020 at 11:33, You Do The Dziekanowski said:

I was struggling with niggles and then built a proper sports massage in to my monthly outgoings, it’s the best £35 a month i spend i reckon, not been able to get one since March and I can feel the difference 

21 hours ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Have you been fitted for shoes properly? It can make a big difference. I don't really do anything special after a run, I always start and end my run around half a mile from home and then use the walking time to/from as a warm up/cool down, but I've had knee and back pain for so long that I think I've just learned to live with it!

Haven’t had shoes fitted properly yet no, I start and end with a walk as well, more likely the shoes then! 

15 minutes ago, Rob k said:

I was struggling with niggles and then built a proper sports massage in to my monthly outgoings, it’s the best £35 a month i spend i reckon, not been able to get one since March and I can feel the difference 

Now things are opening up again I’ll have to have a look into sports massage. I’m planning on doing the Bristol 5k, 10k and potentially Half next year so will be doing a lot of running, massage could well be needed! 

11 minutes ago, You Do The Dziekanowski said:

Haven’t had shoes fitted properly yet no, I start and end with a walk as well, more likely the shoes then! 

Now things are opening up again I’ll have to have a look into sports massage. I’m planning on doing the Bristol 5k, 10k and potentially Half next year so will be doing a lot of running, massage could well be needed! 

It’s definitely been worth it for me, my muscles get tight and having had my calf go badly i don’t want that again ??

Was out at 05:20 this morning for 11k - I knew I wouldn't do it in the heat of the day otherwise, even after a few glasses of Rose last night! It was nice though - we live right by AG so straight down through the park and onwards up the Cumberland Rd/Commercial Rd/Clarence Rd straight to Temple Meads, up Victoria St down Corn St and back all along the Waterfront/Mardyke/Grain Barge/Nova and back up through the park. It was starting to get hot by the time I got back in just under an hour. 

Not sure I can manage another early start tmrw though ?

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Rob k said:

Yeah definitely agree with that. Been going to Willow over Yate/Emerson’s and the difference it makes is immense. I think that when they finally get back to being available (I’m guessing August) I may well book a double session as I dread to think what knots I haven’t noticed I have in my IT bands...!

21 hours ago, CyderInACan said:

How old or well used are the current shoes? 

Only done about 30/40k in them. But surely that’s enough to wear them in a bit? 

Got them at the start of the year

I do have terrible feet though, wide with little arch, but they fit comfortably and don’t hurt whilst running

Edited by You Do The Dziekanowski

3 hours ago, tommy_b said:

Ooh. Just found this topic and the associated Strava group. 

New area of internet to discuss running - and not on a Facebook group with some weirder people at times...

Welcome to the club Tommy. 
I only joined about 6 weeks or so ago and I’ve found everyone to be welcoming and helpful. 
It’s a good motivational group. 

Although there are some weirdo’s, right @CyderInACan ?

• Haha 2