IGNORED

Runners!

mozo

5 hours ago, Harry said:

Welcome to the club Tommy. 
I only joined about 6 weeks or so ago and I’ve found everyone to be welcoming and helpful. 
It’s a good motivational group. 

Although there are some weirdo’s, right @CyderInACan ?

I only joined at the start of lockdown but I've found it a huge help in getting the trainers on and hitting the road. There is no chance that I'd have made it out as often as I have without you lot. Cheers all.

• Like 2

On 19/06/2020 at 08:21, formerly known as ivan said:

I don’t get how you can make yourself run if you don’t enjoy it. Speaking personally here, but it’s when I don’t enjoy it I don’t do it. When I see improvements and hit milestones the energy is great. I know before I even leave the house if it will be a good run or not purely but the way I am feeling.

As mentioned above, the Mrs is getting into the couch to 5k and running was the last thing she ever thought she would be. She was hating it as it is obviously a struggle making a start but in less than two weeks, with slight improvements each time, when we finished the most recent run a few days ago she actually said at the end of it... ‘I enjoyed that’. I honestly couldn’t believe it. Never thought I would hear those words coming from her mouth after a run!

Keep a diary. Keep a short record why the energy was great and when it was not and what each experience felt like. When you feel negative refer to when the energy was great. Visualize how great felt.

Create a short script. Why do I run. What do I want to achieve. What is my target. Again if you feel negative refer to the script. 

It is more than possible to alter your mindset of threat (I wont enjoy this) to challenge (I am going to succeed/improve/enjoy this).

The above is basic psychology. Its not mumbo jumbo. Your mind has more negative thoughts than positive ones. It is self preservation mechanism. These thoughts are called ants - automatic negative thoughts. We all have them but you really can choose to alter them, not let them take over.  

• Like 3

10 hours ago, tommy_b said:

Ooh. Just found this topic and the associated Strava group. 

New area of internet to discuss running - and not on a Facebook group with some weirder people at times...

Welcome Tommy, number 25. 

Same to Rob, our 26th runner. 

Boom.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, TomF said:

I see you’re a fan of the lake ground lap ?

Ha.

Well yes. Not with all the part-time walkers of recent weeks mind!

Otherwise... long time slacker (i.e. uni rugby + then 5asides since every so often) and only really running for the past 5 years or so. But without any goals. Ticked off a couple of halfs last year after parkrun etc since 2017ish being more 'formal'.

I'd aborted my Brighton Marathon training (first marathon) when that got postponed and fancied my chances of using the new found fitness from running to get some fast 5k times logged. Doing 3 & 7/8sish of lake grounds loops for a 5k is easy and relatively traffic free early doors into lock down + half a mile from my front door so it's my 5k base now. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TomF said:

Yeah last 2-3 weeks it’s been chaos down there. Prior to that was very nice quiet spot to do laps. Can barely run past the cricket pitch now for cars parked 

Totally. Bastards. Why can't they stay home so I can have my fun! #standardfacebookmoanerapproach

The first time was so quiet and easy I thought "this'll do me" and hence created a Strava 5k segment (https://www.strava.com/segments/23392194) that I can just repeat on.

Managed a couple up until early May and then every time I head down - rammed! Went this morning as it was drizzle and colder so most people stayed away. Same with marina laps these days...

1 hour ago, stevecity86 said:

Trying to take my mind of recent performances after the match today & was looking online to see if there is a city runners group  - then stumbled across this one , looks great! Have put request in to be member 27

Welcome mate! 

Got a few more miles in this week, new shoes plus foam rolling seems to keep my ankle niggle at bay. 9 miles Friday and didn’t hurt at all on the run but a little sore after.

Starting the Great North Run solo challenge tomorrow, 78 days to complete at least 40 runs and 300 miles!

2 hours ago, MarcusX said:

Got a few more miles in this week, new shoes plus foam rolling seems to keep my ankle niggle at bay. 9 miles Friday and didn’t hurt at all on the run but a little sore after.

Starting the Great North Run solo challenge tomorrow, 78 days to complete at least 40 runs and 300 miles!

Good luck mate, from what I’ve seen from you so far 6k a day is totally within your arc as long as the injuries are kept at bay!

Got into a bit of a YouTube rabbithole last night and I now know all about aerobic and anaerobic running!

My pace is always around 4:25/km and most of my runs are in the Zone 5/4 heart rate zones (I have all this on my Garmin but have never really paid much attention to it!). I can comfortably run a half but if I want to aim for anything longer I need to slow down, but its difficult to run slower! Might try a socially distanced run with a friend to keep it at a conversational pace... 

Recently joined the strava group, and nice to see a chat that hasnt descended into chaos after Sunday's poor showing.

Are there many club runners on here? Joined Bristol and West myself about a year ago when I moved down from Manchester, have also been along a couple times to the southville group a couple times

9 hours ago, TomF said:

Struggling a bit with reoccurring pain on the outside of my right knee. Its nothing major but if I go for 10km+ it starts to hurt, low pain but its there.  Anyone got any thoughts?

Something I’ve always suffered with, never managed to get rid though, think I kind of just got used to it over the years!

11 hours ago, TomF said:

Struggling a bit with reoccurring pain on the outside of my right knee. Its nothing major but if I go for 10km+ it starts to hurt, low pain but its there.  Anyone got any thoughts?

I’ve no expert knowledge, just my own research and experience. Generally the site of the pain tends not to be the cause necessarily. Do you do any stretching or mobility work? It could be tight muscles elsewhere, for example I had an excruciating knee problem last year that turned out to be really tight and overused quads/hip flexors. It could even be IT band tightness / overuse.

I personally would seek some kind of professional opinion as it’s knees because it could be ligament / tendon in which case stretching may do more harm than good

On 28/06/2020 at 22:41, Silvio Dante said:

Good luck mate, from what I’ve seen from you so far 6k a day is totally within your arc as long as the injuries are kept at bay!

Thanks mate, got 18 miles in today which was my first one of the challenge. Felt good and still no major pain from it, hoping I can manage it still as the weekly miles creep up

13 hours ago, !james said:

Got into a bit of a YouTube rabbithole last night and I now know all about aerobic and anaerobic running!

My pace is always around 4:25/km and most of my runs are in the Zone 5/4 heart rate zones (I have all this on my Garmin but have never really paid much attention to it!). I can comfortably run a half but if I want to aim for anything longer I need to slow down, but its difficult to run slower! Might try a socially distanced run with a friend to keep it at a conversational pace... 

If you want to get into longer territory (or increase the speeds of your runs) you definitely need to come down from those zones. There’s a lot of research supporting the 80:20 split whereby roughly 80% (it can be 75:25 or 85:15) of your runs are at low intensity, zone 2, and 20% are at zone 4 maybe pushing zone 5. 

there’s an article here https://www.runnersworld.com/uk/training/motivation/a27718661/what-is-80-20-running/ but also Global Triathlon Network have a video on it on YouTube. It’s the sort of principle I’ve been following for my training and I’m noticing my times are getting a bit quicker - or more to the point the same perceived effort is become a quicker pace. I also recover quicker

Definitely takes some getting used to intentionally running slower, you could also try listening to music that has lower BPM and run to the pace of the music?

• Like 2

8 hours ago, MarcusX said:

If you want to get into longer territory (or increase the speeds of your runs) you definitely need to come down from those zones. There’s a lot of research supporting the 80:20 split whereby roughly 80% (it can be 75:25 or 85:15) of your runs are at low intensity, zone 2, and 20% are at zone 4 maybe pushing zone 5. 

there’s an article here https://www.runnersworld.com/uk/training/motivation/a27718661/what-is-80-20-running/ but also Global Triathlon Network have a video on it on YouTube. It’s the sort of principle I’ve been following for my training and I’m noticing my times are getting a bit quicker - or more to the point the same perceived effort is become a quicker pace. I also recover quicker

Definitely takes some getting used to intentionally running slower, you could also try listening to music that has lower BPM and run to the pace of the music?

Thanks! I had no idea about any of this stuff when I started running, I try and mix my routes up as often as I can which keeps it interesting. Music wise that's a good idea, I have various playlists depending on my mood but slower is a good plan! 

21 minutes ago, !james said:

Thanks! I had no idea about any of this stuff when I started running, I try and mix my routes up as often as I can which keeps it interesting. Music wise that's a good idea, I have various playlists depending on my mood but slower is a good plan! 

Yea it’s all been fairly new to me too, I assumed if you want to get quicker you just run faster until you can’t and try again next time ?‍♂️

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, City18 said:

Recently joined the strava group, and nice to see a chat that hasnt descended into chaos after Sunday's poor showing.

Are there many club runners on here? Joined Bristol and West myself about a year ago when I moved down from Manchester, have also been along a couple times to the southville group a couple times

I run with a club called active soul, i love meeting each Thursday for a good structured session which is usually around speed work for an hour 

• Like 1

Putting this out here as it's semi on topic, I'm thinking of starting a blog soon. I created a separate Instagram to log my running and training progress and slowly building some following on that after not really being fussed about followers at first.

I feel I've got a decent amount of knowledge from my own hours of research of different nutrition trends, training protocols and also experience of challenges I've undertaken and things I'll look to take on in the future. My "niche" or selling point really is trying to be a one-stop shop for people new to training. The site I wished I'd found when I was getting started that could teach me the different options for training, where to go to get involved and sign-posting to specific sites/articles etc for more "scientific" explanations (ie people actually qualified in that field as opposed to my opinions and experience)

Firstly anyone here done anything similar? 

Secondly, anyone willing to share in here or over DM any questions they've had in the past and struggled to find clear no-BS answers to? Or things they'd be interested in knowing more about that I can take away as article ideas?

Will keep the handles and site out of the post as not sure on the rules of self-promotion but happy to share if anyone is interested. I'll be honest my Instagram isn't all that interesting at the moment, I need to get over the mental block of not wanting to look like silly taking photos/videos during runs ? at the minute my "USP" is that I run a lot longer distances compared to most of the people on my facebook!

3 hours ago, MarcusX said:

Putting this out here as it's semi on topic, I'm thinking of starting a blog soon. I created a separate Instagram to log my running and training progress and slowly building some following on that after not really being fussed about followers at first.

I feel I've got a decent amount of knowledge from my own hours of research of different nutrition trends, training protocols and also experience of challenges I've undertaken and things I'll look to take on in the future. My "niche" or selling point really is trying to be a one-stop shop for people new to training. The site I wished I'd found when I was getting started that could teach me the different options for training, where to go to get involved and sign-posting to specific sites/articles etc for more "scientific" explanations (ie people actually qualified in that field as opposed to my opinions and experience)

Secondly, anyone willing to share in here or over DM any questions they've had in the past and struggled to find clear no-BS answers to? Or things they'd be interested in knowing more about that I can take away as article ideas?

Will keep the handles and site out of the post as not sure on the rules of self-promotion but happy to share if anyone is interested. I'll be honest my Instagram isn't all that interesting at the moment, I need to get over the mental block of not wanting to look like silly taking photos/videos during runs ? at the minute my "USP" is that I run a lot longer distances compared to most of the people on my facebook!

That sounds like a good idea, the amount of stupid running questions I google or watch on YouTube is unreal! I am sure I have loads of questions that could start you off...

6 hours ago, MarcusX said:

Great resources for me have been the pfitzinger marathon plans, daniels running formula. Great guidance on structuring of your season, importance of training in correct training zones, hr training, nutrition etc

While track seasons on hold, turned my focus to running a sub 16 5k in the new year. Some cracking posts and discussions on LetsRun forum that have helped a lot in planning my season out.

Another great resource of use would be the serpentine running forum. Some great posts covering all range of subjects. 

Finally, the Macmillan race and training pace calculator is another great free resource for all athletes. You can put current race times and goal paces to calculate your training zones and paces for each session.

• Thanks 1

Feeling pretty accomplished today. I set out at the beginning of October to lose weight and get fitter and more active, and was doing really well, but fell back into the habit of eating and drinking too much, and not moving enough once lockdown kicked in.

At the beginning of June I resolved to "close my rings" every day (Apple Activity terminology for 30 Mins exercise, 12 hours of standing for at least a minute, and 500 active calories per day) in June, and do at least one workout every single day in June, all while running in a daily calorie deficit.

27 x Weight Training Workouts
17 x Runs
11 x Bike Rides

In total, 32 hours of workout time, covering 259 miles on foot and bike in June with an elevation gain of just under 18,000ft, or around 60% of the way to the top of Everest. Approx 25,000 calories burned through exercise.

19lbs down since October, 2 inches off the chest and 3 off the waist. Only just set up the scales to measure body fat, and don't think it's overly accurate, but it reckons I've gone from 18.6% at the beginning of June to 17.1% at the end.

Observations:

My knees hurt
I need some new running shoes
I'm a sucker for hilly runs/rides
Music is essential to running motivation for me. Since I got my headphones I've done longer runs and don't mentally flag so soon.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Feeling pretty accomplished today. I set out at the beginning of October to lose weight and get fitter and more active, and was doing really well, but fell back into the habit of eating and drinking too much, and not moving enough once lockdown kicked in.

At the beginning of June I resolved to "close my rings" every day (Apple Activity terminology for 30 Mins exercise, 12 hours of standing for at least a minute, and 500 active calories per day) in June, and do at least one workout every single day in June, all while running in a daily calorie deficit.

17 x Runs
11 x Bike Rides

In total, 32 hours of workout time, covering 259 miles on foot and bike in June with an elevation gain of just under 18,000ft, or around 60% of the way to the top of Everest. Approx 25,000 calories burned through exercise.

19lbs down since October, 2 inches off the chest and 3 off the waist. Only just set up the scales to measure body fat, and don't think it's overly accurate, but it reckons I've gone from 18.6% at the beginning of June to 17.1% at the end.

Observations:

My knees hurt
Music is essential to running motivation for me. Since I got my headphones I've done longer runs and don't mentally flag so soon.

That's a great effort mate well done

Those scales can sometimes be inaccurate in the figure they give for body fat, but generally if you do it same time of day (best is first thing in the morning after using the toilet before eating/drinking anything) then the comparison between numbers will still provide a good guide so it's a useful tool still

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MarcusX said:

That's a great effort mate well done

Those scales can sometimes be inaccurate in the figure they give for body fat, but generally if you do it same time of day (best is first thing in the morning after using the toilet before eating/drinking anything) then the comparison between numbers will still provide a good guide so it's a useful tool still

Thanks mate. 

Yeah I only weigh/measure every 3-4 weeks so I don’t get caught up in the fluctuations, and always first thing before eating / drinking etc. I prefer the tape measure and my clothes as a guide to the scales!

4 hours ago, BRISTOL86 said:

17 x Runs
11 x Bike Rides

Observations:

My knees hurt

Great effort!

Out of interest, what weight training workouts have you been doing? My knee doesn’t react too well to running more than 4 times a week but fancy a challenge to do stuff every day, especially as need to get rid of some festive weight I’m still carrying from Christmas 1989

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, SuperDziek said:

Great effort!

Out of interest, what weight training workouts have you been doing? My knee doesn’t react too well to running more than 4 times a week but fancy a challenge to do stuff every day, especially as need to get rid of some festive weight I’m still carrying from Christmas 1989

Well, I made a little garage gym about a month before lockdown....talk about good timing!

9-BE1460-D-B2-AD-45-A0-8070-4-BB0-FAAA32

I do a ~20 min circuit most days which consists of

5 x 10 pull ups

5 x 10 barbell squats

5 x 10 x barbell chest press

5 x 10 flutter kicks

5 x 10 V-ups

5 x 5 dips

8 hours ago, BRISTOL86 said:

17 x Runs
11 x Bike Rides

Observations:

My knees hurt

Bad enough seeing this crap on Facebook, don’t need it rubbing in my face on here as well

• Haha 1