IGNORED

Runners!

mozo

2 hours ago, mozo said:

We'll have to do a South Glos division OTIB Runners amble at some point ? 

Natch at the finish line of course...

2 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

Aren’t we all (when not hungover/injured) pretty similar paces too? Could make for an interesting 10k!

Sounds good in theory. I know Silvio’s had his injury problems recently and with me back playing football (with multiple niggles resulting) my running has really taken a hit. 
Definitely up for it one day though when all fit and available. 

18 minutes ago, Harry said:

Sounds good in theory. I know Silvio’s had his injury problems recently and with me back playing football (with multiple niggles resulting) my running has really taken a hit. 
Definitely up for it one day though when all fit and available. 

Can just be summat slow and easy.

I'm keen for this virtual Running Club to get engaged. I have a vision of the OTIB runners completing a challenge some time next year to raise money for a good cause.

1 hour ago, TomF said:

Just realised it’s 6 months since recovering from a week in Hosptial. Nice to crack out a 1.39 half today. So have brought that down from 1.59 for first one I did in June to today. Not sure I’m going much lower than that ?

Bloody hell - impressive work 

14 hours ago, TomF said:

Just realised it’s 6 months since recovering from a week in Hosptial. Nice to crack out a 1.39 half today. So have brought that down from 1.59 for first one I did in June to today. Not sure I’m going much lower than that ?

Great effort Tom ?

18 hours ago, TomF said:

Saw that on Strava last night - fantastic effort 

Brighton Marathon is my next scheduled proper event. I was training for it 2020 but obviously postponed. 

With most other big spring races postponed to Autumn, I can only imagine this following suit and being bumped. 

So now I’m considering the Green Man Ultra. Trekking around Bristol from Ashton Park school over 45 miles. In mud. In March. In more mud and waterlogged paths. 

Anyone got any experience of it at all?

23 hours ago, tommy_b said:

Brighton Marathon is my next scheduled proper event. I was training for it 2020 but obviously postponed. 

With most other big spring races postponed to Autumn, I can only imagine this following suit and being bumped. 

So now I’m considering the Green Man Ultra. Trekking around Bristol from Ashton Park school over 45 miles. In mud. In March. In more mud and waterlogged paths. 

Anyone got any experience of it at all?

My friends did this event this year - It’s on my ‘list’ of events to do 

On 05/12/2020 at 20:42, tommy_b said:

Gone very quiet. 

I know it’s cold but surely everyone hasn’t retired? :)

Yep. Still cracking on. 
After my running took a hit with Saturday football, since lockdown 2 I managed to step It up again and have done 120k in the 4 weeks since LD2. 
Back to 5 a side and football training this week though, and already feeling stiff again this morning!!! 
Our team aren’t returning to playing full games until 9th Jan though, so I’ve got a good few weeks before I start to suffer again ?

On 05/12/2020 at 20:46, TomF said:

I was ok with sorta 10-8 degree temps but 5-6 degrees the struggle is hard!  Hoping the wind drops down tomorrow for a afternoon run.  Have resorted to leggings ?

I don’t mind the cold. Did a 10k in the country lanes between Wickwar and Hawksebury on Sunday morning. 
It was 1 degree when I started. Bloody cold for the first 10 minutes but you soon warm up ?

I love it like that, a beautiful, crisp and fresh sunny winter Sunday morning. 

On 06/12/2020 at 08:11, Rob k said:

Managed 19 miles yesterday, i have around 13 to find for Feb ??

Mate, you are putting some serious miles in. Brilliant. 

10 hours ago, Mr X said:

Once it gets below about 8c it becomes a struggle for me. Would much rather run in 30c than 3c 

I don’t like it above 16. It’s why, in the summer I prefer to go out early before it gets too hot. 
I’d much rather run in 3 degrees than 23 degrees. 

Did a 10k yesterday before work. 1 degree. 

Very sore nipples today as didn't put anything on them!

Would love to do another half marathon next year, I've done Bath and London Landmarks. Would quite like to do one with a trip involved, any recommendations?

40 minutes ago, Harry said:

I don’t mind the cold

Fine with the cold too, I find it deters lots of people so there's less human traffic around the Docks etc etc On the hottest days back in the summer I was up & out around 5.30am some days to avoid the heat. 

Currently on 1447km for the year, hoping that I hit the 1500km mark before Christmas! 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

Fine with the cold too, I find it deters lots of people so there's less human traffic around the Docks etc etc On the hottest days back in the summer I was up & out around 5.30am some days to avoid the heat. 

Currently on 1447km for the year, hoping that I hit the 1500km mark before Christmas! 

Fair play mate. Yeah, you’ll hit the 1500 easy 

• Like 1

Don't enjoy the cold, the tights and woolly hat are back this week!

All the usual off road routes are mud pits now so sticking to the roads as don't fancy trail running... think I have done every possible route in the town now... 

I managed 225k in Nov and hoping to finish on 2000k for the year which is mental! 

• Like 2

@mozo

Wow. Just seen your run on Strava from Xmas day! 26k. Fair play mate. 

You pretty ran past my house (coming through charfield) and then you went up the massive hill up to Cotswold Edge golf club. 
I’ve been planning on doing that one soon - it’s an absolute beast!! What was that like? You were probably already on about 15k when you got there!!! 

11 hours ago, Harry said:

@mozo

Wow. Just seen your run on Strava from Xmas day! 26k. Fair play mate. 

You pretty ran past my house (coming through charfield) and then you went up the massive hill up to Cotswold Edge golf club. 
I’ve been planning on doing that one soon - it’s an absolute beast!! What was that like? You were probably already on about 15k when you got there!!! 

Ouch. Don't do it!

Honestly, it was a real grind, but a good feeling getting to the top. If you go a little beyond the golf course you really do feel you've ascended the mountain because you're at the highest point for as far as the eye can see. 

So, actually, do it!

The worst bit is the B4058 up to Renishaw which doesn't have any path for pedestrians, and then when you reach the golf course the traffic is speeding by at 60 mph and again no pavement.

I suppose you can hop over to the course at the top, but it would be better with a different route from Charfield to the Old London Rd.

The roads put me off doing that again more than the hills, although my hip was feeling it after the ascent.

I'm doing a marathon in April, all going well, so will be doing more of those long ones, probably slower and less hilly though.

18 minutes ago, mozo said:

Ouch. Don't do it!

Honestly, it was a real grind, but a good feeling getting to the top. If you go a little beyond the golf course you really do feel you've ascended the mountain because you're at the highest point for as far as the eye can see. 

So, actually, do it!

The worst bit is the B4058 up to Renishaw which doesn't have any path for pedestrians, and then when you reach the golf course the traffic is speeding by at 60 mph and again no pavement.

I suppose you can hop over to the course at the top, but it would be better with a different route from Charfield to the Old London Rd.

The roads put me off doing that again more than the hills, although my hip was feeling it after the ascent.

I'm doing a marathon in April, all going well, so will be doing more of those long ones, probably slower and less hilly though.

Yeah, it’s an absolute beast. I drive up there regularly, whether to play at the golf course or to drive to Nailsworth, Tetbury or wherever - it avoids going through Wotton which can sometimes take a while. And yes, the view is superb. 
The route you did, the climb technically starts just past Renishaw, and obviously gets huge as you go up Old London Road. 
Gonna have to do it soon. 

Yeah, I’ve sometimes done the route past Renishaw on the B4058, no path for about a km once you leave Charfield. I’ve only done it if I’m up early enough on a Sunday morning, knowing there’ll be little traffic. 

If you’re trying that route again, there’s a way around it. 
Turn at the petrol station in Charfield, down the hill, right at the first junction and you go up past Swinehay (there’s a Grand Designs House up there, at the back of Renishaw pretty much), then you drop back down the hill from North Nibley and you’re back up the hill by Bradley Green (just up from the Rowe Vets you’d have passed). 
I’ve scribbled over your route through Charfield, below. 

Anyway, fair play mate, that’s some distance for Xmas day, and to go up that beast of a climb is superb on such a long route. 

CD71CF4F-27F1-44D5-A984-6BE53C64454B.jpeg

Edited by Harry

1 hour ago, Rob k said:

Finally managed to get under 2hrs yesterday for a half 1.56.44 - very pleased with that 

Great work mate. You’re coming along amazingly. I remember that first half I ran with you at Forest of Dean, 3.5 years ago. You’ve taken about an hour off your time now. Brilliant ?

48 minutes ago, Harry said:

Great work mate. You’re coming along amazingly. I remember that first half I ran with you at Forest of Dean, 3.5 years ago. You’ve taken about an hour off your time now. Brilliant ?

Mate i was thinking about that the other day - i was in absolutely no shape to be doing that run at all when i look back, i was in agony after 9 miles and i couldn’t get walk after due to my knee, I’ve unfinished business with that run....

• Like 1