IGNORED

Runners!

mozo

How was everyone’s 2020 then. 
Mixed bag for me. 
Started the year doing just a few runs on weekends between weekly 5 a side. 
Lockdown allowed me to really ramp up the running, hitting a high of 157k in July. 
Started playing football again in August and went back to full 11 a side in September (not a great idea at 46 and a 9 year break!!), which had a knock on effect on my running and also gave me lots of niggles. 
Was hoping, with no 11 a side football since Nov that I’d ramp up the running again, but a combination of a few little tweaks and niggles here and there has limited my distances. 

Ended the year with 1,213kms in total. 1,083 of running and 130k of football in various guises. 

I’ve got a target to beat for 2021 now - obviously football/injury dependent!!  

I reckon there a few of you on here who’ve done at least 1,500k and beyond......

122C6476-4731-40D9-9647-89241C279785.jpeg

Edited by Harry
  • Like 2
  • Flames 1

Good shout @Harry 2020 has been a good  year for running if nothing else! 1509 km done for the year with 2 months of 200km or over. Switched from endomondo to Strava in Feb or March as it was recommended as being more accurate but tbh some splits around the docks seem to me to be inaccurate. Like you I’ve been back into eleven and five a side football and I think you appreciate it so much more when you’re older, if only I could go back to being a 20yr old again with the experience we have eh! 

Anyway. The goal for 2021 is just keep going. Let’s hope we’re all of us on here fit and strong enough to keep doing the same, let’s enjoy it, embrace it and bloody well smash it!!!

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

Well, I ended up rounding off the year with a HM. Kind of Withnail-ish in that it was supposed to be 10k but I decided that my planned route would be too lethal so had to extend!

Finished the year on 4,119km. A few five a sides and easier paced walks in that but reckon I met my target of average 10k run a day and there’s at least 3660 km of pure runs/jogs in there.

Love to get up to marathon next year dependent on time available - not always easy with kids to get out for longer trots.

Congrats all and HNY!

7B4A6FDE-D0ED-410D-966D-6E2FDCCB8AFD.png

• Like 1
  • Flames 2

Marathon training started this week, although I've already gone off plan (1st week doesn't matter!)

I'm doing 37 miles in total this week and somehow have to build to 50 mile weeks. Not sure my right knee can withstand that, particularly with my lack of stretching and strengthening...

• Like 1

12 hours ago, TomF said:

Genuinely struggled with my knees last two weeks. Not sure if it’s the temps but not bothered me previously ?‍♂️

I don't think there's a runner in the world that doesn't get knee pain at some point. Comes with the territory to an extent, although I've added strengthening to my training plan to see if that sorts it out. I'm supposed to be doing barbell squats and deadlifts today (low weight) amongst other things.

Recently I've also started slowing down my longer runs. I'm supposed to run at 9 mins/mile but I tend to go too quickly. It sounds daft but slowing one's pace cake actually be quite challenging. 

On 08/01/2021 at 20:24, TomF said:

Genuinely struggled with my knees last two weeks. Not sure if it’s the temps but not bothered me previously ?‍♂️

I’ve had a knee issue for last ten days. Did 1:47:12 (PB) for a half on NYD and today 1:59:00 despite 9 days rest. Not really sure what can be done other than rest?

7 hours ago, The Bard said:

Any advice about mitigating achilles pain from running?  I've been out a couple of times since new year but have to wait 5/6 days before trying again due to the pain.

Cycling is less painful..

It might sound daft but when was the last time you had a good sports massage? 
I thought i had a bad ankle before but it was all to do with having a very tight calf, had a few sessions and it was sorted 

On 10/01/2021 at 11:44, Alex_BCFC said:

I’ve had a knee issue for last ten days. Did 1:47:12 (PB) for a half on NYD and today 1:59:00 despite 9 days rest. Not really sure what can be done other than rest?

Well weirdly they say strengthening for tendon injuries (I'm not a physio mind!). So maybe rest isn't always the best policy and sometimes regular squats etc would help? 

@mozo I mentioned I was keen to run up that brutal hill climb you did on Xmas day. 
Managed it this morning. Wow!! That was tough. 
Eased myself into the run to start climbing at 1k and got to the top by the golf club at 5k. That 4k distance was quite literally vertical for about 2.5k and only levelled off temporarily a couple of times. 
An absolute beast!! 
Was nice turning at the top and running back down it though ?

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Harry said:

@mozo I mentioned I was keen to run up that brutal hill climb you did on Xmas day. 
Eased myself into the run to start climbing at 1k and got to the top by the golf club at 5k. That 4k distance was quite literally vertical for about 2.5k and only levelled off temporarily a couple of times. 
An absolute beast!! 

I think mental hill climbing was the order of the day today. Thought to myself “Not been to Somerset monument before, might run there”. Vertical. 

The stupid thing was that it was 10k into a HM so after killing my legs I had another 10 to go. Currently unable to move on the sofa!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Harry said:

An absolute beast!! 

Fair play - I’ve ridden that on my bike, it’s a beast indeed!! Good 10k time with that hill involved ??

• Like 1

Great work everyone!

Having fallen out of love with running quite quickly during lockdown 1 and enjoying the gyms being open again, lockdown 3 has seen the enjoyment of running return!

So far, I’ve clocked 40 miles for the month since the day of lockdown beginning. Having only sporadically run outdoors in months, I’m pretty chuffed with that. Not bothered about the speed at the moment, just getting miles into the legs and enjoying being able to get out and clear my head from the stresses of homeschooling etc. 

Ran up Bridge Valley for the first time ever yesterday. Boy, what was tough. I thought it was then pretty much flat down to the Bridge - how wrong I was. Going up the Promenade felt tougher than going up Bridge Valley! And loads of people around not socially distancing - very annoying. Did 7m - today’s been a rest day as aching all over!

Target for the month is 100km - has been years since I’ve achieved that. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

I think mental hill climbing was the order of the day today. Thought to myself “Not been to Somerset monument before, might run there”. Vertical. 

The stupid thing was that it was 10k into a HM so after killing my legs I had another 10 to go. Currently unable to move on the sofa!

Fair play mate. Just looked at your route. I’ve done a couple of 10k’s along Chase Lane and King Lane, the initial hill as you go into Chase Lane is manageable. I usually turn at King Lane and towards Horton. I see you went straight on toward Hawkesbury, up to the Monument - that’s a big climb!! Fair play. It’s then pretty lumpy all through Horton and Vinney Lane. Tough half marathon that - good stuff. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Rob k said:

Fair play - I’ve ridden that on my bike, it’s a beast indeed!! Good 10k time with that hill involved ??

Yeah, I was surprised at the time to be fair. I usually clock around 4:45-4:50 per km on average, those massive inclines had me at 6:30!! However, on the way down I was sometimes hitting 4:00 pace - I felt half Kenyan for a few minutes ?

@SuperDziek @Silvio Dante @Rob k

Interesting to see you mention Bridge Valley Road SuperDzieck. I always considered that to be a super hard climb - and it is. 
I thought I’d have a quick look at the climbs we all did this weekend. 

Bridge Valley - 0.7k Grade 7.6%
Somerset Monument - 0.7k Grade 8.3%
Old London Road - 0.7k Grade 10.7%

I knew the other 2 were biggies but had no idea they were beastlier than Bridge Valley. 

You were right Rob K - she’s a bloody brute! 

To think @mozodid this blighter on Xmas day, 15k into a half!!! Maaaan!! 

I absolutely hated going up there this morning and yet I absolutely loved it too. And I absolutely never want to do it again but know I will love it when I do ?

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Harry said:

Interesting to see you mention Bridge Valley Road SuperDzieck. I always considered that to be a super hard climb - and it is. 

I knew the other 2 were biggies but had no idea they were beastlier than Bridge Valley. 

I absolutely hated going up there this morning and yet I absolutely loved it too. And I absolutely never want to do it again but know I will love it when I do ?

I did some hill sprints on peg hill on Thursday - that was bad enough! Yet Nothing like what you chaps have been up to ??

I shall be doing the 2nd half of the greenman route soon and im told there Is a nasty hill out by Dundry, i think i have cycled the same ridge so if it’s where i think it is that’s going to be a toughy 

Edited by Rob k

2 hours ago, TomF said:

Did you ever see the sprint finish the pro cyclists did up it a few years back. I was like I can’t even go up it that fast in my car ?

I did. It’s a tough climb even for those pro’s. In comparison, this climb today would be more like the Planche Des Belles Filles!!! 

9 hours ago, Harry said:

That last bits the absolute truth! I’ve been sat pondering when I do today’s route again, as I’m now kicking myself for not extending into the village and Petty France!

The great thing about running is that you see somewhere and think “Not been there, is it strikeable?” And you go. Seen so much more of the area (and the world, pre lockdown) than I ever would before I started this rubbish!

• Like 2

On 17/01/2021 at 21:11, Harry said:

Fair play to you taking on the beast!

• Like 1

On 17/01/2021 at 21:11, Harry said:

Yeah as Coomber says BVR is a beast - the problem being once you're at the top, everywhere else is uphill too! (unless you run straight back down which is cheating) 

19 hours ago, CyderInACan said:

Yeah as Coomber says BVR is a beast - the problem being once you're at the top, everywhere else is uphill too! (unless you run straight back down which is cheating) 

This sounds like a run i want to have a crack at once Lockdown is over....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rob k said:

This sounds like a run i want to have a crack at once Lockdown is over....

Top of BVR - which way you gonna go? Left towards the Sea Walls, Straight on past the Zoo to Redland or Right towards CV & the Suspension Bridge? I've done straight on & right, yet to go left towards the Sea Walls, Ladies Mile etc 

11 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

Top of BVR - which way you gonna go? Left towards the Sea Walls, Straight on past the Zoo to Redland or Right towards CV & the Suspension Bridge? I've done straight on & right, yet to go left towards the Sea Walls, Ladies Mile etc 

Well i might start the run at the bottom and then do half the Greenman route so over to the suspension bridge and back to Yate through the fields 

3 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

Just back from a run which included going up Jacob's Wells Rd - where's the most reliable source for gradients as I'm intrigued to see what it is. 

Hi mate. On Strava. Go to analysis. It breaks down certain ‘known’ parts of your route. 
JWR (0.53k at 6.9%) is easier than Bridge Valley (0.7k at 7.6%), judging by this. Here’s your effort today :

FF806C04-2627-4ABF-8432-EE6F8D801DA1.jpeg

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Harry said:

Hi mate. On Strava. Go to analysis. It breaks down certain ‘known’ parts of your route. 
JWR (0.53k at 6.9%) is easier than Bridge Valley (0.7k at 7.6%), judging by this. Here’s your effort today :

Gotcha - it didn't feel as long or steep as BVR to be fair, still a decent climb though - cheers for the tip though, never really bothered with that before