IGNORED

Runners!

mozo

2 hours ago, TMWANG50 said:

I wasn't aware of this sounds like a good idea.

Are any of the South Glos runners doing the Westonbirt 10k this weekend?

I wanted to do this one this year but having been injured for most of the year I hadn’t signed up. 
Only just making a comeback this last couple of weeks and am barely struggling to do a 5k, let alone a 10k ha ha. It’s amazing how quickly you lose fitness! 

• Sad 1

23 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

I’ll look to get it in once we know fixtures.

And supposed to be doing it, yep. However booked for a night out with the wife on Friday now we can lose the kids and not sure exactly what state I’ll be in Saturday afternoon!

Good stuff. I've got a 50k race in 3 weeks so Westonbirt isn't deal preparation but both have been carried over from last year so I am giving it a go. I think this is my third attempt not been up there for it since 2016 though so hope I'm still as quick :) 

On 19/05/2021 at 13:14, TMWANG50 said:

I wasn't aware of this sounds like a good idea.

Are any of the South Glos runners doing the Westonbirt 10k this weekend?

Not this year - black rat cycle for me, can’t say I’m looking forward to it too much in this weather 

I used to be a decent runner 2hr 32 marathon, 68.56 1/2 marathon, 30.12 10 k and 15.06 5k but now I just run for fun and do not compete as I will never get a PB, although I have noticed that standards have dropped because looking at race results the winning times are good but looking down the field the good runners are getting slower and it soon tails off to jogging rather that running.  

On 21/05/2021 at 09:25, Rob k said:

Not this year - black rat cycle for me, can’t say I’m looking forward to it too much in this weather 

Worst ride ever - 5 punctures and a broken spoke!! First DNF as had had enough and got my missus to pick me up ??

• Sad 1

On 23/05/2021 at 19:04, Rob k said:

Worst ride ever - 5 punctures and a broken spoke!! First DNF as had had enough and got my missus to pick me up ??

Sorry to hear that mate. That’s a whole heap of bad luck. 
Have you got any other events coming up? 

16 minutes ago, Harry said:

Sorry to hear that mate. That’s a whole heap of bad luck. 
Have you got any other events coming up? 

I got cotswolds 113 which is a half iron distance on June 6th and that will lead me nicely in to outlaw at the end of July which is the full Ironman distance 

• Like 2

On 25/05/2021 at 09:31, elhombrecito said:

@The turtle I'm surprised that you're not active in this thread considering your newfound passion for running!

I'm sure I could delight others in running a decent amount slower than a snail. ??

Though I should add, this article spoke to me:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2021/may/20/this-runs-for-you-will-losing-a-friend-and-learning-not-to-hate-jogging

Edited by The turtle
  • Like 1

Just starting to get back into this after got injured early January. Taken about 3 months to get back to half marathon which I did in 1 hour 54 on Monday. On New Years Day I did my best of 1 hour 47 so still a way to go but amazed by how long it took me to get back to even anywhere close. 6 weeks out made a hug difference - starting to see why it takes so long for footballers to get back to speed after an injury.

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

On 04/06/2021 at 10:19, Alex_BCFC said:

Just starting to get back into this after got injured early January. Taken about 3 months to get back to half marathon which I did in 1 hour 54 on Monday. On New Years Day I did my best of 1 hour 47 so still a way to go but amazed by how long it took me to get back to even anywhere close. 6 weeks out made a hug difference - starting to see why it takes so long for footballers to get back to speed after an injury.

Yeah I think you have two be running at least twice a week to maintain a level of running fitness any less and you start to drop off a bit..sounds like you are doing a decent job at getting back on track though Alex

6 hours ago, TMWANG50 said:

50K update, it was bloomin hot, a canal tow path is very tricky to run on when its this dry, I survived, not sure I can face that distance again...?

Gloucester? I’d seen that and contemplated it but missed the sign up. 

fair play!

15 hours ago, tommy_b said:

Gloucester? I’d seen that and contemplated it but missed the sign up. 

fair play!

Yeah I signed up back in 2020 thinking it was a good idea! It's a really nice route to be honest from Gloucester to Sharpness. I'm contempliating just doing the 25k race next year and running more against the clock than the distance.

1 hour ago, mozo said:

Anyone doing the Cotswold Way relay this weekend? I will take no reply as a no ?

I see stage 7 & 8 come through Wotton. Are you going solo or part of a team. And which stage are you doing? 

On 01/07/2021 at 19:00, Harry said:

I see stage 7 & 8 come through Wotton. Are you going solo or part of a team. And which stage are you doing? 

Stage 3, near Cheltenham. I'm doing it with the running club. I did a recce and there are great trails and views but a couple of climbs are long and horrendous, like a trail version of the beast near you. Kicks off tomorrow morning.

Maybe OTIB Runners could do a relay someday...

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, mozo said:

Stage 3, near Cheltenham. I'm doing it with the running club. I did a recce and there are great trails and views but a couple of climbs are long and horrendous, like a trail version of the beast near you. Kicks off tomorrow morning.

Maybe OTIB Runners could do a relay someday...

Speaking of relay…

I’m mindful that I suggested we do a run in memory of One Team In Keynsham. Season starts 7th August and I said one week prior for target - hopefully restrictions gone- so I’d suggest we try and do it 30th July if people are up for. My suggestion is we do a start from AG about 10am, and I think I can plan a 10k (likely loop to Temple Meads with detours) from there.

So, let’s do this. Comment if up for and that time/date works (I’m flexible - in time and date at least!) and if we get enough in this community, let’s push this to the main forum/Twitter/Scotty etc

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Silvio Dante said:

Speaking of relay…

I’m mindful that I suggested we do a run in memory of One Team In Keynsham. Season starts 7th August and I said one week prior for target - hopefully restrictions gone- so I’d suggest we try and do it 30th July if people are up for. My suggestion is we do a start from AG about 10am, and I think I can plan a 10k (likely loop to Temple Meads with detours) from there.

So, let’s do this. Comment if up for and that time/date works (I’m flexible - in time and date at least!) and if we get enough in this community, let’s push this to the main forum/Twitter/Scotty etc

If I can do the date and time I'm well up for it, but may I suggest we identify a beer garden to finish...?

Regards route, I would suggest either round the harbourside or up and across the suspension bridge.

4 minutes ago, mozo said:

If I can do the date and time I'm well up for it, but may I suggest we identify a beer garden to finish...?

Regards route, I would suggest either round the harbourside or up and across the suspension bridge.

I was thinking that (when I worked in town pre lockdown) I started at Temple Meads way, did Baldwin/Park, through GS, past AG, down West/East and finished at Temple Meads. Yours sounds far more picturesque!!

7 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

I was thinking that (when I worked in town pre lockdown) I started at Temple Meads way, did Baldwin/Park, through GS, past AG, down West/East and finished at Temple Meads. Yours sounds far more picturesque!!

Yeah all good. My suggested routes would be...

Set off from the Atyeo statue, through the concourse, follow the path round the park, cross over the railway bridge, Pump house, stay harbourside, round Queens Square, then up to BTM and back along the river - that's probably 10k ish?

Or if you don't mind hills you can do the cricket club entrance to Ashton Court, uphill, staying right. Fantastic views, and deer, then over the bridge and down through Hotwells.

But, I genuinely would run any route. 

44 minutes ago, mozo said:

Many years ago when I was in school, I used to run from Clifton to Failand via the suspension bridge most Tuesday and Thursday afternoons, very picturesque and, back in those days, quite calm traffic wise.

I don't recall how long the run was, but it was certainly manageable - I used to do a games afternoon upon arrival, either rugby of cross country depending on the school term.

• Like 1

On 02/07/2021 at 22:11, Silvio Dante said:

Speaking of relay…

I’m up for it 

• Like 1

I think I might struggle to make the date and time as am away on holiday with my Mum and my brother's family at the end of July. However I'm keeping an eye on this thread as would like run if I am around. I never met One Team in Keynsham and only browse this thread rather than post loads but I'm massively impressed by what has been started here and would like to pay tribute to a fellow red if I can. 

• Like 2