IGNORED

Runners!

mozo

9 hours ago, tommy_b said:

Ha. 
I managed to over work my knee / quad during an ultra marathon last Saturday, felt it ache a bit but workable during a recovery run on Wednesday and then decide I felt stable enough to give football a pop Thursday night. 

Mistake. Quite sore this morning, figured I’d test it further with a “semi long run” and parkrun. 
More mistake. 

Throwing any pace into the run over strained it and sore again. 

Great job I’ve got Brighton Marathon in 3 weeks. That’ll just be a car crash…. haven’t done a decent long run at any target sustained pace. Bollocks :)

Yep, this seems very familiar! Tried football and realised after about 5 minutes it wouldn’t work. Running round after people 20 years younger than you with a pulled hamstring isn’t the best idea!

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

Anyone else running the Bristol 10/Bristol Half on Sunday? 

No but going down to watch so if your running good luck - i will be looking out for the random City tops in the run if that’s what you wear!!

unfortunately for me, after training since December, i pulled my calf muscle 10’days before Manchester marathon last month so was unable to do it ???

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, CyderInACan said:

Anyone else running the Bristol 10/Bristol Half on Sunday? 

Yep. It looks like it might be a warm one if the BBC forecast is to be believed.

I'd love to officially clock under 1hr 45mins after being over by 2 seconds last year. ?

Good luck to those running and I look forward to catching up on times in the Strava group post run.

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

On 12/05/2023 at 08:05, Rob k said:

No but going down to watch so if your running good luck - i will be looking out for the random City tops in the run if that’s what you wear!!

unfortunately for me, after training since December, i pulled my calf muscle 10’days before Manchester marathon last month so was unable to do it ???

City top will be too hot to run in. Sorry to hear about your injury!

On 12/05/2023 at 11:33, Kings Norton Red said:

Yep. It looks like it might be a warm one if the BBC forecast is to be believed.

I'd love to officially clock under 1hr 45mins after being over by 2 seconds last year. ?

Good luck to those running and I look forward to catching up on times in the Strava group post run.

Good luck ?

15 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

City top will be too hot to run in. Sorry to hear about your injury!

Good luck tomorrow ?

• Like 1

Stops me getting to work normal route tomorrow so no , couldn’t give a monkeys about it ! 
At least they’ve spend money filling in all the awful potholes at the bottom of the portway/Brunel way to stop Joe jogger breaking their ankles ! …never mind the last 4 months of smashing people’s cars to bits ! ….******* ! :grr:

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Kings Norton Red said:

Pretty much perfect weather for running saw me come home in 1hr 42mins. Never thought I'd manage that for a HM.

I do wish they wouldn't send us down Welsh Back. Those cobbles are a bloomin nightmare.

Congrats! Totally agree - it's a great course until you get to the Louisiana and then it loses any enjoyment factor. 

I ran the Rob Burrow Leeds Marathon yesterday.  A brutal course around the hills of Yorkshire but the best experience I've had running nineteen marathons. The people of Leeds were brilliant and the support between all runners was amazing. Passing Kevin Sinfield pushing his mate Rob was incredibly humbling and brought tears to my eyes. Standing watching Kevin at the finishing line carrying Rob across, I don't think there were any dry eyes in the stadium - I feel so fortunate to have been there to see it. The love both men have for one another gives you faith in humanity - We all need a friend like Kevin Sinfield in our lives.

• Like 3
  • Flames 1

Well done to everyone who took part, be it Bristol or in Leeds.

Having found myself at my heaviest/most unfit I have been in my life at the start of the year, I am back starting again. It’s a tough journey physically and mentally. If you look back to the earlier pages on this thread I was a keen runner, 51min 10k in 2015 was my PB and I had started training for a half marathon. I don’t know what happened in the years that followed but here I am.

keep pushing people ?

• Like 3

Bristol Half for me. Miles off any pb potential and more done just to tick off the first time I’ve ran the half in Bristol. 

I hated the route. Liked the old 10km route in previous years where it was Portway, in at the Louisiana and then centre to finish. 
All the rubbish Queen Square onwards just sucked. 

• Like 2

Well done to all the weekend runners some great efforts. I'm coming out of retirement to do the Westonbirt 10k on Thursday night (think its my fourth time), about a stone over weight and struggling with plantar fasciitis so my PB is probably safe this year :laugh:.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Well done to everyone who took part, be it Bristol or in Leeds.

Having found myself at my heaviest/most unfit I have been in my life at the start of the year, I am back starting again. It’s a tough journey physically and mentally. If you look back to the earlier pages on this thread I was a keen runner, 51min 10k in 2015 was my PB and I had started training for a half marathon. I don’t know what happened in the years that followed but here I am.

keep pushing people ?

Fair play mate - sounds exactly like me. Was sick of being so unfit, i could barley run 100m. I started back by doing the couch to 5k again, it was more about the consistency of getting out and doing exercise again rather than seeing how far or fast i could go as that all comes in time .

• Like 2

Just thought I'd bump this & see if anyone has had any races/achievements over the summer? 

Had some love runs along the coast in Lanzarote whilst there last month. Lovely & flat and from where stayed there was a decent 5km route you could run into Matagorda & back and the same into Puerto del Carmen and back. Even the ravages of the all-inclusive couldn't stop me getting out at 7am each day. Build up a thirst etc etc 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, CyderInACan said:

Just thought I'd bump this & see if anyone has had any races/achievements over the summer? 

Had some love runs along the coast in Lanzarote whilst there last month. Lovely & flat and from where stayed there was a decent 5km route you could run into Matagorda & back and the same into Puerto del Carmen and back. Even the ravages of the all-inclusive couldn't stop me getting out at 7am each day. Build up a thirst etc etc 

Lanzarote was nice for a run along the sea when i was there a few years back 

I did the Outlaw full distance Tri in Nottingham at the end of July, the wind was horrendous for the ride and i had to hold on for the last 6 miles of the run, finished in 14hrs 54

• Flames 1

4 hours ago, CyderInACan said:

Off to Port Pollensa Majorca in 2 weeks time, always run along the front at 7 to 8ish in the morning ( in my City Hummel training top) then jump in the sea..as you say build up a thirst and an appetite, try to do a minimum of 5k..heat permitting.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

Anybody else managed to Run Every Day this year? 

1550kms run including the Bristol Half, numerous park runs at Ashton Court plus runs whilst on holidays in London (Covent Garden, Fleet St, Greys Inn and along the embankment) Kernow (Holywell Bay, Porthtowan) Lanzarote (Puerto del Carmen and Matagorda) Barcelona (Sagrada Familia, Clot)

Can’t even toast it as am driving early tmrw morning so it’ll have to wait til I’m in the Robins for pre-game drinks (after a run, of course . . .) 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, CyderInACan said:

Anybody else managed to Run Every Day this year? 

1550kms run including the Bristol Half, numerous park runs at Ashton Court plus runs whilst on holidays in London (Covent Garden, Fleet St, Greys Inn and along the embankment) Kernow (Holywell Bay, Porthtowan) Lanzarote (Puerto del Carmen and Matagorda) Barcelona (Sagrada Familia, Clot)

Can’t even toast it as am driving early tmrw morning so it’ll have to wait til I’m in the Robins for pre-game drinks (after a run, of course . . .) 

Hammy injury precluded that this year (when trying to go too quickly to get a run in pre Cardiff away in March) but probably did me good for the month off. Have relaxed into things a bit more having done 300k a month in 21/22 and am now settling around the 210-220 mark - not every day but legs feel a bit better for it. Runs in Bristol, Yate, Cyprus, Iceland, London, Manchester, Birmingham amongst others. Can highly recommend Rejkyavik at 6am in Feb in the snow!

Great achievement Reg, well done!

• Flames 1

8 hours ago, Rob k said:

What’s everyone’s plans this year? My 2 main events are Manchester marathon in April and Ironman wales in September. Anyone doing anything a bit different,

Gloucester half marathon in March,hopefully great north run and sodbury slog again.may Hill massacre in February. Good luck for marathon and iron man.never ran at that sort of distance!

18 hours ago, forbespm said:

Gloucester half marathon in March,hopefully great north run and sodbury slog again.may Hill massacre in February. Good luck for marathon and iron man.never ran at that sort of distance!

Fair play - some good runs in there. I love the slog, i did the Walter Raleigh half marathon on the weekend which reminded me of the slog, it was a tough old run around Budleigh, Sidmouth etc for this early in the year, I’ve not done much proper training since July one, even though i have been getting out etc 

• Like 1

On 07/01/2024 at 06:42, Rob k said:

What’s everyone’s plans this year? My 2 main events are Manchester marathon in April and Ironman wales in September. Anyone doing anything a bit different,

Did you do your ironman in July or is this the next one? Do you think you're over the Covid issues now? I think most of mine has cleared up, I assume I'll always have asthma now but I've not needed my inhaler in ages. It's taken 2 years but finally over the long covid now I think.

I've got my eyes on an ultra in June, 24 hour event and in the training for it I'm considering Brecon Beacons marathon at the start of May and possibly something sooner if dates match up.

1 hour ago, MarcusX said:

Did you do your ironman in July or is this the next one? Do you think you're over the Covid issues now? I think most of mine has cleared up, I assume I'll always have asthma now but I've not needed my inhaler in ages. It's taken 2 years but finally over the long covid now I think.

I've got my eyes on an ultra in June, 24 hour event and in the training for it I'm considering Brecon Beacons marathon at the start of May and possibly something sooner if dates match up.

Yes - I did Outlaw at the end of July which was the full Ironman distance. I’m finding after long events, Im needing a long break to recover properly. I’m also struggling to get back to where i was still (3 mins off my 10kpb currently) but do feel I’m making some progress. I’ve put a bit of weight on since July too so back calorie counting as that’s also a factor. 
That Brecon Beacon marathon will be amazing, fair play, and the ultras are good, I did Greenman a few years back which was a tough, but lovely run around the outskirts of Bristol. I think they do a winter and summer one. 

• Thanks 1

On 07/01/2024 at 06:42, Rob k said:

I've had a few plantar issues so been only doing 5k-10k sort of distance for a while, have manged to get up to 236 parkruns so 250 must be achievable this year :laugh:.

Although having read through the last few posts quite tempted by Mayshill Massacre with the dog and the Brecon marathon!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Club and Country said:

Just went to enter bath half marathon....£55!!!!

no thanks 

I lost a lot of respect for the Bath organisers when they pressed ahead right on top of Covid. Loads of entrants didn’t do it as uncomfortable and the sensible decision would have been to pull but they carried on regardless. It’s an ok race but not great - the two lap structure is a bit of a drag,

I did, however, beat Mark Ashton and Lee Johnson when I did it so it holds some happy memories!

• Like 1