IGNORED

Runners!

mozo

I never check the non-football thread so only just realised this was a thing. Great to see so many City supporting runners! 

I run mountain ultras with a preference of 100 miles and up.

So far I’ve run on every continent except Antarctica. There is a 100km race there that I’m planning to do one day but last time I checked the entry fee was 18,900USD which I can’t really justify right now.

Races I’ve competed in to-date include: The North Face 100Km (now Ultra-Trail Australia) x3, Great North Walk 100 Miles x2, Northburn NZ 100 miles, Ultra Trail de Mont Blanc 100 miles x2, Ultra Trail Mount Fuji 100 miles, Everest Trail Race 100 miles stage race, Comrades, Diagonale de Fous 100 miles, Ultra Fiord Patagonia 100 miles, Fat Dog Canada 120 miles.

This year I was meant to run Northburn again and the Tahoe 200 mile race but Northburn got cancelled and, while I believe Tahoe is still on, the cost of flying post-Covid - and the necessary quarantine to and from Australia - has now made it unfeasible for me.

Despite Antarctica, the only real dream race I have is the Hardrock 100 over in Colorado. I’ve qualified for for the past seven years but haven’t been lucky in the entry lottery.

Age and a two year old kid means I’ve recently started Zone 2 training (as opposed to my usual technique of just running a high volume at high speed) and it’s proving to be one of the most infuriating things I’ve ever done. Any tips, tricks and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, SydneyCity said:

I never check the non-football thread so only just realised this was a thing. Great to see so many City supporting runners! 

So far I’ve run on every continent except Antarctica. There is a 100km race there that I’m planning to do one day but last time I checked the entry fee was 18,900USD which I can’t really justify right now.

Races I’ve competed in to-date include: The North Face 100Km (now Ultra-Trail Australia) x3, Great North Walk 100 Miles x2, Northburn NZ 100 miles, Ultra Trail de Mont Blanc 100 miles x2, Ultra Trail Mount Fuji 100 miles, Everest Trail Race 100 miles stage race, Comrades, Diagonale de Fous 100 miles, Ultra Fiord Patagonia 100 miles, Fat Dog Canada 120 miles.

This year I was meant to run Northburn again and the Tahoe 200 mile race but Northburn got cancelled and, while I believe Tahoe is still on, the cost of flying post-Covid - and the necessary quarantine to and from Australia - has now made it unfeasible for me.

Despite Antarctica, the only real dream race I have is the Hardrock 100 over in Colorado. I’ve qualified for for the past seven years but haven’t been lucky in the entry lottery.

Age and a two year old kid means I’ve recently started Zone 2 training (as opposed to my usual technique of just running a high volume at high speed) and it’s proving to be one of the most infuriating things I’ve ever done. Any tips, tricks and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

That’s a bloody impressive list there!

I don’t feel qualified enough to give advice as you’re much more experienced than me but I’d say in terms of controlling your heart rate stick on some music that’s lower BPM or a podcast, something you can switch off too and match the pace

I find it hard at the start of runs not to go out fast, but running zone 2 has done me the world of good in terms of increasing my distances

Anyone seen this?

I hate to discredit anyones achievements, however there's a lot of chatter online that the guy's a fraud.

Amazing feat if real, but seems loads of pitholes in his story but hes now up for/won a pride of Britain alongisde Major Tom.

Seemed to start as 50 halfs in 50 days during Ramadam too, now its 100 marathons round his dining room table, barefoot, in one direction, and has no answers to questions about nutrition or recovery ? Also blocking and deleting loads of comments on his Social pages

8 hours ago, SydneyCity said:

Cheers!

Have you ever considered the Barkley?

After having everything cancelled this year to date I decided that doing the Run to the Stones Virtual Ultra next week (Mon-Sun) would be a challenge. 
Free to enter but you can pay for a medal / shirt if you want. 
Otherwise it’s a half / marathon or 100km week long challenge. 

It will need me to - probably unwisely - push my weekly mileage back up to the marathon training levels from current 40ish miles a week so hopefully won’t break!

11 hours ago, MarcusX said:

That’s a bloody impressive list there!

I don’t feel qualified enough to give advice as you’re much more experienced than me but I’d say in terms of controlling your heart rate stick on some music that’s lower BPM or a podcast, something you can switch off too and match the pace

I find it hard at the start of runs not to go out fast, but running zone 2 has done me the world of good in terms of increasing my distances

If you’ve tried Zone 2 training for longer than two weeks, you’re more experienced than me :)

I’ve never really run with music as I felt it masked my footfall and I would come down too hard. That said, there is absolutely no chance of that happening right now as I pitter patter around at a pace that feels insanely slow.

I’ll give the lower bpm music a shot and see if it helps. Thanks for the tip!

Re: your blog post questions posted on Tuesday, I’ve built up quite a library of running books with an interest in vintage training guides - Percy Cerruty, Franz Stampfl, Guy Butler, Joe Bull to name a few. A decent amount of 70s and 80s stuff too, including some Russian manuals that I can’t understand but look cool. 

If you’d be interested in any knowledge from these, I’d be happy to share.

I did have a blog idea myself but the URL renewal request each year is a depressing reminder that I’ve never got round to doing it.

image.jpg

On 04/07/2020 at 12:46, SydneyCity said:

Cheers!

Damn that's a seriously impressive list! 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, SydneyCity said:

If you’ve tried Zone 2 training for longer than two weeks, you’re more experienced than me :)

I’ve never really run with music as I felt it masked my footfall and I would come down too hard. That said, there is absolutely no chance of that happening right now as I pitter patter around at a pace that feels insanely slow.

I’ll give the lower bpm music a shot and see if it helps. Thanks for the tip!

Re: your blog post questions posted on Tuesday, I’ve built up quite a library of running books with an interest in vintage training guides - Percy Cerruty, Franz Stampfl, Guy Butler, Joe Bull to name a few. A decent amount of 70s and 80s stuff too, including some Russian manuals that I can’t understand but look cool. 

If you’d be interested in any knowledge from these, I’d be happy to share.

I did have a blog idea myself but the URL renewal request each year is a depressing reminder that I’ve never got round to doing it.

image.jpg

Oh wow that's an impressive set of books!

I think my initial pitch for the blog is going to be aimed at people new to running or at least running longer distances. I've started compiling a list of questions, mainly things ive been asked since I increased my running but also questions I've had to go and find the answers too.

Very much trying to stick to a fellow runner perspective than any type of expert. Someone who's had the same question, gone and done the research and compiled it into one place

If and when I start venturing into more advanced questions I'll definitely bend your ear

A little update on my training, another 18 miles today.

Since I started my training plan I've completed 8 of the 16 weeks (though I'd say I'm maybe a week or 2 behind due to injury). I've got 11 weeks til raceday so plenty of time to recover it.

Started pulling it all into an excel sheet so I can compare stats, I love a spreadsheet ?

8 weeks
24 runs
193.74 miles so averaging 24.2 a week
54 hours of running!

My pace for runs over 10 miles have come down by about 30 seconds, whilst staying the same kind of effort levels (zone 2 to low zone 3)

Also, completely injury free now in my ankle since changing trainers! Nothing during or after my runs which is great news. Put in 53 miles this week so really happy with that

• Like 2

On 14/07/2020 at 19:03, bartolona said:

Manchester marathon latest to be cancelled, after Bournemouth last week. Still nothing about London.

I’ve been told by somebody who gets a bit more info than i do that There is no chance  of London happening for the ‘normal runner’ and it will be elite runners only. 

Liverpool Rock n roll also cancelled today 

Edited by Rob k

On 04/07/2020 at 12:46, SydneyCity said:

Cheers!

Hi mate, join us on Strava. The number 28 shirt is there for the taking...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MarcusX said:

How’s the training going chaps (and lasses?) 

Managed a course PB this morning over a 7k route I’ve got (well, it’s about 7.25k). 
Clocked 34:21, which was about 30 seconds up on my previous best. 
It’s got a beast of a hill too, at the 3k point and I’ve often found that slows me down for about half a k after I get over the top, but today I seemed to get back into stride immediately. 
84k July to date. Hopefully get over 150k this month if I can. 
After 3 weeks or so out injured in early June, happily now feeling back on form. 

• Like 4

Got into running a few years ago after doing my ACL playing footy.

Used to hate it but really enjoy it now, done 350k ish this year and generally only do 5-7k at a time. Came 5th in parkrun couple weeks ago (ok there were only about 40 runners but still!) and the only person I’m competitive against is myself and my good friend  Strava but that works for me. 

• Like 1

On 16/07/2020 at 21:11, Harry said:

Managed a course PB this morning over a 7k route I’ve got (well, it’s about 7.25k). 
Clocked 34:21, which was about 30 seconds up on my previous best. 
It’s got a beast of a hill too, at the 3k point and I’ve often found that slows me down for about half a k after I get over the top, but today I seemed to get back into stride immediately. 
84k July to date. Hopefully get over 150k this month if I can. 
After 3 weeks or so out injured in early June, happily now feeling back on form. 

Good distance today mate - but you’re getting dangerously close to my land ?

5 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

I walked 50 meters today to the bottle shop it took me only ten minutes. I purchased a carton of VB which weighs about 12 KGS. It took me 30 minutes to walk back with it. I did though stop to drink 2 of the 24 on the way back.?

51 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Ha ha. Yeah, I did wonder if I’d see you out and about this morning around Limekiln/Tanhouse. 
Just to get some variety I’ve started driving a couple of miles up to Wickwar or Cromhall and then running the lanes between there and Yate/Rangeworthy. It’s made a refreshing change and is a nice run. 

32 minutes ago, Harry said:

Ha ha. Yeah, I did wonder if I’d see you out and about this morning around Limekiln/Tanhouse. 
Just to get some variety I’ve started driving a couple of miles up to Wickwar or Cromhall and then running the lanes between there and Yate/Rangeworthy. It’s made a refreshing change and is a nice run. 

The one I did this morning is a good one to do - Yate Rocks is a nice setting at the start and then you’ve got a about 500m of downhill tree canopy at 5k in down Frith Lane. Old Wood Lanes also a good setting to get near the end. Mix of up/downhills through the lanes, think it’s about 85m elevation.

Said it before - one of the real blessings in lockdown has been finding all these settings for a run on my doorstep. Dreading when it’s too dark to do the lanes!

6 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

The one I did this morning is a good one to do - Yate Rocks is a nice setting at the start and then you’ve got a about 500m of downhill tree canopy at 5k in down Frith Lane. Old Wood Lanes also a good setting to get near the end. Mix of up/downhills through the lanes, think it’s about 85m elevation.

Said it before - one of the real blessings in lockdown has been finding all these settings for a run on my doorstep. Dreading when it’s too dark to do the lanes!

Yep, first time I’ve ran up Oldwood Lane. I was going to run though there a couple of weeks ago but missed the turn and ended up in Rangeworthy. So I rechecked the map this morning and came down Limekiln to enter from the opposite end by Engine Common Lane. 
Very nice run. 
Last week I parked up the other side of Wickwar and ran the lanes down toward Hawkesbury and Horton - that’s where I encountered the herd of cows in the middle of the road!! 
Nice to do a few different routes. 

Hit a bit of a wall today, 22 miles my furthest run of my training plan so far.

I think it's partly due to getting my food and drink all wrong. I didn't take much and planned to stop at a shop that I knew was on my route - didn't factor in the shop being shut 2/3rds of the way round my run!

I fuelled my 3 hours 45 minutes on 3 cliff jelly cubes and 3 digestive biscuits ?

Legs feel awful and I don't want to run again for a long time!

No running for me this weekend but a good 75 on the bike to get some good miles in before this weekends ride of 125. 
I was a little different for a change on this ride and ate like a pig and took on 2 bottles of tailwind which i find really helps on the longer rides 

This really is an inspiring thread. I open it up, put my trainers on but then get distracted by the Hughton/Gerrard threads and take them off again.

I went a bit mad early in lockdown and believe I injured one of the bands the run up the side of the leg. I'm able to run a couple of 5ks are week now so slowly getting there without aggravating it too much!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

With the pools closed I've had to do some running over the past few months.

God must've realised pretty quickly he had created something inherently evil when he allowed humans to be able to run. He must've quickly passed all responsibility to the devil, who then presumably realised how horrendous running was, and flogged it in a bargain bin to Satan. 

With nowhere to turn Satan must've lucked out and blamed it all on a consortium of Hitler, Mussolini and Pol Pot. Then, evil itself stepped in and claimed all responsibility. 

My knees, shins and feet are in ruin. Running has no redeeming features whatsoever, and you are all masochists.

• Haha 5

Going for a change in tack with my training and cutting right back on cardio to focus on weight/resistance training and lean muscle gain. I'm down to running 2 x 5 mile runs a week now.

I'm enjoying a change in routine but I will miss running most days! I'm doing a 30-40 min powerwalk on my 'rest' days though so that should scratch the itch to be outside in the real world and not stuck in the garage!