Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Putting this out here as it's semi on topic, I'm thinking of starting a blog soon. I created a separate Instagram to log my running and training progress and slowly building some following on that after not really being fussed about followers at first.

I feel I've got a decent amount of knowledge from my own hours of research of different nutrition trends, training protocols and also experience of challenges I've undertaken and things I'll look to take on in the future. My "niche" or selling point really is trying to be a one-stop shop for people new to training. The site I wished I'd found when I was getting started that could teach me the different options for training, where to go to get involved and sign-posting to specific sites/articles etc for more "scientific" explanations (ie people actually qualified in that field as opposed to my opinions and experience)

Firstly anyone here done anything similar? 

Secondly, anyone willing to share in here or over DM any questions they've had in the past and struggled to find clear no-BS answers to? Or things they'd be interested in knowing more about that I can take away as article ideas?

Will keep the handles and site out of the post as not sure on the rules of self-promotion but happy to share if anyone is interested. I'll be honest my Instagram isn't all that interesting at the moment, I need to get over the mental block of not wanting to look like silly taking photos/videos during runs 😂 at the minute my "USP" is that I run a lot longer distances compared to most of the people on my facebook!

3 hours ago, MarcusX said:

Putting this out here as it's semi on topic, I'm thinking of starting a blog soon. I created a separate Instagram to log my running and training progress and slowly building some following on that after not really being fussed about followers at first.

I feel I've got a decent amount of knowledge from my own hours of research of different nutrition trends, training protocols and also experience of challenges I've undertaken and things I'll look to take on in the future. My "niche" or selling point really is trying to be a one-stop shop for people new to training. The site I wished I'd found when I was getting started that could teach me the different options for training, where to go to get involved and sign-posting to specific sites/articles etc for more "scientific" explanations (ie people actually qualified in that field as opposed to my opinions and experience)

Secondly, anyone willing to share in here or over DM any questions they've had in the past and struggled to find clear no-BS answers to? Or things they'd be interested in knowing more about that I can take away as article ideas?

Will keep the handles and site out of the post as not sure on the rules of self-promotion but happy to share if anyone is interested. I'll be honest my Instagram isn't all that interesting at the moment, I need to get over the mental block of not wanting to look like silly taking photos/videos during runs 😂 at the minute my "USP" is that I run a lot longer distances compared to most of the people on my facebook!

That sounds like a good idea, the amount of stupid running questions I google or watch on YouTube is unreal! I am sure I have loads of questions that could start you off...

6 hours ago, MarcusX said:

Great resources for me have been the pfitzinger marathon plans, daniels running formula. Great guidance on structuring of your season, importance of training in correct training zones, hr training, nutrition etc

While track seasons on hold, turned my focus to running a sub 16 5k in the new year. Some cracking posts and discussions on LetsRun forum that have helped a lot in planning my season out.

Another great resource of use would be the serpentine running forum. Some great posts covering all range of subjects. 

Finally, the Macmillan race and training pace calculator is another great free resource for all athletes. You can put current race times and goal paces to calculate your training zones and paces for each session.

• Thanks 1

Feeling pretty accomplished today. I set out at the beginning of October to lose weight and get fitter and more active, and was doing really well, but fell back into the habit of eating and drinking too much, and not moving enough once lockdown kicked in.

At the beginning of June I resolved to "close my rings" every day (Apple Activity terminology for 30 Mins exercise, 12 hours of standing for at least a minute, and 500 active calories per day) in June, and do at least one workout every single day in June, all while running in a daily calorie deficit.

27 x Weight Training Workouts
17 x Runs
11 x Bike Rides

In total, 32 hours of workout time, covering 259 miles on foot and bike in June with an elevation gain of just under 18,000ft, or around 60% of the way to the top of Everest. Approx 25,000 calories burned through exercise.

19lbs down since October, 2 inches off the chest and 3 off the waist. Only just set up the scales to measure body fat, and don't think it's overly accurate, but it reckons I've gone from 18.6% at the beginning of June to 17.1% at the end.

Observations:

My knees hurt
I need some new running shoes
I'm a sucker for hilly runs/rides
Music is essential to running motivation for me. Since I got my headphones I've done longer runs and don't mentally flag so soon.

• Like 6
1 hour ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Feeling pretty accomplished today. I set out at the beginning of October to lose weight and get fitter and more active, and was doing really well, but fell back into the habit of eating and drinking too much, and not moving enough once lockdown kicked in.

At the beginning of June I resolved to "close my rings" every day (Apple Activity terminology for 30 Mins exercise, 12 hours of standing for at least a minute, and 500 active calories per day) in June, and do at least one workout every single day in June, all while running in a daily calorie deficit.

17 x Runs
11 x Bike Rides

In total, 32 hours of workout time, covering 259 miles on foot and bike in June with an elevation gain of just under 18,000ft, or around 60% of the way to the top of Everest. Approx 25,000 calories burned through exercise.

19lbs down since October, 2 inches off the chest and 3 off the waist. Only just set up the scales to measure body fat, and don't think it's overly accurate, but it reckons I've gone from 18.6% at the beginning of June to 17.1% at the end.

Observations:

My knees hurt
Music is essential to running motivation for me. Since I got my headphones I've done longer runs and don't mentally flag so soon.

That's a great effort mate well done

Those scales can sometimes be inaccurate in the figure they give for body fat, but generally if you do it same time of day (best is first thing in the morning after using the toilet before eating/drinking anything) then the comparison between numbers will still provide a good guide so it's a useful tool still

• Like 1
1 hour ago, MarcusX said:

That's a great effort mate well done

Those scales can sometimes be inaccurate in the figure they give for body fat, but generally if you do it same time of day (best is first thing in the morning after using the toilet before eating/drinking anything) then the comparison between numbers will still provide a good guide so it's a useful tool still

Thanks mate. 

Yeah I only weigh/measure every 3-4 weeks so I don’t get caught up in the fluctuations, and always first thing before eating / drinking etc. I prefer the tape measure and my clothes as a guide to the scales!

4 hours ago, BRISTOL86 said:

17 x Runs
11 x Bike Rides

Observations:

My knees hurt

Great effort!

Out of interest, what weight training workouts have you been doing? My knee doesn’t react too well to running more than 4 times a week but fancy a challenge to do stuff every day, especially as need to get rid of some festive weight I’m still carrying from Christmas 1989

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, SuperDziek said:

Great effort!

Out of interest, what weight training workouts have you been doing? My knee doesn’t react too well to running more than 4 times a week but fancy a challenge to do stuff every day, especially as need to get rid of some festive weight I’m still carrying from Christmas 1989

Well, I made a little garage gym about a month before lockdown....talk about good timing!

9-BE1460-D-B2-AD-45-A0-8070-4-BB0-FAAA32

I do a ~20 min circuit most days which consists of

5 x 10 pull ups

5 x 10 barbell squats

5 x 10 x barbell chest press

5 x 10 flutter kicks

5 x 10 V-ups

5 x 5 dips

8 hours ago, BRISTOL86 said:

17 x Runs
11 x Bike Rides

Observations:

My knees hurt

Bad enough seeing this crap on Facebook, don’t need it rubbing in my face on here as well

• Haha 1