IGNORED

Runners!

mozo

Used to run to a pretty good standard, winning some races even becoming the Avon 10,000 meters champion but that was in the 80s,now I am a lot slower but still go for a run but my mileage is nowhere near what I used to do, I just run to stay fit and enjoy it which is what it is about.

If there was a park run near me I might give that a go but I know that I will never get a personal best but I may get a decent time for my age.

• Like 2

Quick update from me, after a few weeks of lacking motivation and injury I’ve been back out. Played first few games of football and like Harry said, different type of fitness and soreness next day ?

My 50 mile ultra is still going ahead, next Saturday. Completed my longest run last weekend of 36 miles (day after playing football too!) and I’m feeling ready. Physio says I’ve got a bit of tendonitis in my hamstring but should be able to get through the run!

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

On 15/09/2020 at 07:18, MarcusX said:

Quick update from me, after a few weeks of lacking motivation and injury I’ve been back out. Played first few games of football and like Harry said, different type of fitness and soreness next day ?

My 50 mile ultra is still going ahead, next Saturday. Completed my longest run last weekend of 36 miles (day after playing football too!) and I’m feeling ready. Physio says I’ve got a bit of tendonitis in my hamstring but should be able to get through the run!

Yep, I can definitely confirm that playing football again has severely hampered my running. 
Played my first proper 11-a-side game for 9 years this afternoon. I knew I shouldn’t have attempted a comeback at 46 and a half years of age!! Did 15 mins, had to make a sharp turn and full pace sprint, lo and behold the groin went!! 
And that’s me done for a couple of weeks at least. 
Ah well. I’ll see how the recovery goes and maybe try some gentle running again as soon as it feels up to it. 

How did the ultra run go @MarcusX

8 hours ago, Harry said:

Yep, I can definitely confirm that playing football again has severely hampered my running. 
Played my first proper 11-a-side game for 9 years this afternoon. I knew I shouldn’t have attempted a comeback at 46 and a half years of age!! Did 15 mins, had to make a sharp turn and full pace sprint, lo and behold the groin went!! 
And that’s me done for a couple of weeks at least. 
Ah well. I’ll see how the recovery goes and maybe try some gentle running again as soon as it feels up to it. 

How did the ultra run go @MarcusX

I think it’s hard to try and play football after so much running as your body is only used to the continuous forward movement, the twists and turns are so demanding and need familiarisation again

Went really well thanks! Finished in 10:51:05. Initial goal (other than just showing up, and finishing!) was 10 hours and was looking good for it but fell apart around mile 38. It was a 3.3 mile course 15 laps, so after every 3 laps I got some food in(as I’d done in training). I took a 15 minute planned break after lap 9 (29ish miles) did some massage, changed socks etc and felt great but think I went a bit too hard for a couple of laps and pushed the pace too much. Mile 38-45 was an absolute slog and a lot of walking, the pain was unbearable but I got a second wind for the last lap, adjusted my goal to 11 hours on the fly and finished strong!

was a good little event, shame covid meant you didn’t really get to talk to people too much but the team running it were great, really friendly and supportive. 9 people did the full 50 out of 40ish runners and most were doing their first ultra.

In a whole world of pain now though and managed a couple of hours sleep but now wide awake ?

• Like 6

10 hours ago, MarcusX said:

I think it’s hard to try and play football after so much running as your body is only used to the continuous forward movement, the twists and turns are so demanding and need familiarisation again

Went really well thanks! Finished in 10:51:05. Initial goal (other than just showing up, and finishing!) was 10 hours and was looking good for it but fell apart around mile 38. It was a 3.3 mile course 15 laps, so after every 3 laps I got some food in(as I’d done in training). I took a 15 minute planned break after lap 9 (29ish miles) did some massage, changed socks etc and felt great but think I went a bit too hard for a couple of laps and pushed the pace too much. Mile 38-45 was an absolute slog and a lot of walking, the pain was unbearable but I got a second wind for the last lap, adjusted my goal to 11 hours on the fly and finished strong!

was a good little event, shame covid meant you didn’t really get to talk to people too much but the team running it were great, really friendly and supportive. 9 people did the full 50 out of 40ish runners and most were doing their first ultra.

In a whole world of pain now though and managed a couple of hours sleep but now wide awake ?

Fair play mate that’s cracking stuff ??

2 hours ago, TomF said:

So the Thorlos socks I had certainly not gone down well. Not sure if they're wrong fit for me but was having a blinding good run yesterday (10 miles in 1hr 20) and then I started to suffer.  Last 4 miles home were a killer, not helped by a stich, but that was caused by me having to slow down due to feet pain. When I got home found I had 6 blister on my left foot, 3 on side of big toe and then some on the top of my toes.  Haven't experienced anything like it before really (get the odd blister on a long run) and this was second attempt with the socks.  Thinking I need to really find something better.

Have you had a trainer fit?

3 hours ago, TomF said:

So the Thorlos socks I had certainly not gone down well. Not sure if they're wrong fit for me but was having a blinding good run yesterday (10 miles in 1hr 20) and then I started to suffer.  Last 4 miles home were a killer, not helped by a stich, but that was caused by me having to slow down due to feet pain. When I got home found I had 6 blister on my left foot, 3 on side of big toe and then some on the top of my toes.  Haven't experienced anything like it before really (get the odd blister on a long run) and this was second attempt with the socks.  Thinking I need to really find something better.

https://www.runderwear.co.uk/collections/anti-blister-socks try these! never had a blister with them and comfortable. 

Here's a fun question...

Have you ever followed a City game during a run?

That could be commentary, stream, OTIB etc.

I'm out with club at 7 tonight so tempted to keep my phone at hand to follow the BBC commentary... Bit unsociable, but hey, it's important!

1 minute ago, !james said:

I see Bath Half has been put back from March to Sept 2021... cant see any 'big' events going ahead next year.

Relish Running are still doing small events at Bath two tunnels and at the Racecourse - staggered starts etc which is fine for small numbered events 

I think most events have ruled out Spring and are hoping for the Autumn 2021

1 hour ago, Rob k said:

Just started a block of zone 2 training - god it feels weird running slowly on purpose 

What have you slowed to and from out of interest?

2 hours ago, !james said:

I see Bath Half has been put back from March to Sept 2021... cant see any 'big' events going ahead next year.

Relish Running are still doing small events at Bath two tunnels and at the Racecourse - staggered starts etc which is fine for small numbered events 

Controversial opinion of mine, but I’d much prefer running events, gyms, swimming, badminton, tennis, football, cricket etc etc continued as normal and instead all the pubs were closed. 

With covid a particularly high killer amongst the unhealthy, surely we ought to be encouraging exercise and fitness and discouraging boozing. 

I’d rather run a 10k with a couple of thousand people than I would sit in a dark & dingy back street boozer with a dozen borderline alcoholics. 

Surely it’s better for people to engage in exercise than drinking. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mozo said:

I think most events have ruled out Spring and are hoping for the Autumn 2021

What have you slowed to and from out of interest?

I was running at around 8.15mm for 10k on average, quickest was 7.50mm, for the first z2 session where the second your out the zone you have  to walk to drop your heart rate and did it approx 10.20mm

Im doing an Ironman in July next year so it’s all to do with building a huge engine for that to get me round. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Harry said:

Controversial opinion of mine, but I’d much prefer running events, gyms, swimming, badminton, tennis, football, cricket etc etc continued as normal and instead all the pubs were closed. 

With covid a particularly high killer amongst the unhealthy, surely we ought to be encouraging exercise and fitness and discouraging boozing. 

I’d rather run a 10k with a couple of thousand people than I would sit in a dark & dingy back street boozer with a dozen borderline alcoholics. 

I’m in agreement. I can cope without a pub but don’t take my gym away again!

Boris wanted people to get healthy, forget slimming world or whatever it was he’s gone with, get people out being active. I’m glad team sports are still going ahead, I’m not sure why park runs couldn’t on that basis - though I assume most attract hundreds of people? Maybe rather than 1 park run a week, have different start times through the day. Greater demand on volunteers I suppose but I’m sure lots of people are keen to get this going and willing to help.

I guess it’s back to my point on the football thread, it’s difficult to justify opening more things up when the message is tightening things up

1 hour ago, Rob k said:

I was running at around 8.15mm for 10k on average, quickest was 7.50mm, for the first z2 session where the second your out the zone you have  to walk to drop your heart rate and did it approx 10.20mm

Im doing an Ironman in July next year so it’s all to do with building a huge engine for that to get me round. 

Ah good luck, Ironman is my dream! I need a lot of swimming work

6 hours ago, MarcusX said:

I’m in agreement. I can cope without a pub but don’t take my gym away again!

Boris wanted people to get healthy, forget slimming world or whatever it was he’s gone with, get people out being active. I’m glad team sports are still going ahead, I’m not sure why park runs couldn’t on that basis - though I assume most attract hundreds of people? Maybe rather than 1 park run a week, have different start times through the day. Greater demand on volunteers I suppose but I’m sure lots of people are keen to get this going and willing to help.

I guess it’s back to my point on the football thread, it’s difficult to justify opening more things up when the message is tightening things up

Ah good luck, Ironman is my dream! I need a lot of swimming work

Same here mate, I can swim about a mile currently but there’s zero technique, I’m going to be having lessons as I have to improve, i did an Olympic distance tri the other day. Which was my first go at the sport, and i was 239 out of 247 for the swim so it has to get better.

22 hours ago, Harry said:

And also exercise is so good for mental health - i don’t drink much at all these days, in fact i would say I’m a typical binge drinker, once a month or so, it makes you feel like shit for days, i don’t miss it one bit. 

• Like 2

• Admin

I'm surprised to see that the London Marathon is taking place this weekend albeit for elite runners only. 

Why go through all the hassle of shutting off the streets and flying people in from around the world? 

Is the sponsorship money that great that London needs to host the event? 

It will be interesting to see how many people go out to watch it live as would assume that the majority of people watching a normally friends and family of the fun runners/ local running clubs 

2 minutes ago, phantom said:

I'm surprised to see that the London Marathon is taking place this weekend albeit for elite runners only. 

Why go through all the hassle of shutting off the streets and flying people in from around the world? 

Is the sponsorship money that great that London needs to host the event? 

It will be interesting to see how many people go out to watch it live as would assume that the majority of people watching a normally friends and family of the fun runners/ local running clubs 

Pretty sure they're doing laps around a park rather than the usual route, so no need for the normal massive road closures.

• Thanks 1

• Admin
On 29/09/2020 at 18:47, elhombrecito said:

Pretty sure they're doing laps around a park rather than the usual route, so no need for the normal massive road closures.

image.png

The three races will be completely separate

• 07:15 – Elite women’s race
  • 10:15 – Elite men’s race
  • 13:10 – Wheelchair races

6 hours ago, mozo said:

So...how do we maintain our mileage with rainy weather?

I’ve always (well since I started running) thought that you’re a real runner if when it’s pissing it down outside, you still go. It shows you’re going for the love of it and not for show. Plus, there’s no better feeling than a warm shower after a wet run.

In a lot of ways, it’s actually better than running in summer - no heat fatigue and as long as no wind...there’s no excuse.

Unless, like me, your default route is unlit country lanes and it’s getting dark!

• Like 1

On 02/10/2020 at 20:08, Silvio Dante said:

I’ve always (well since I started running) thought that you’re a real runner if when it’s pissing it down outside, you still go. It shows you’re going for the love of it and not for show. Plus, there’s no better feeling than a warm shower after a wet run.

In a lot of ways, it’s actually better than running in summer - no heat fatigue and as long as no wind...there’s no excuse.

Unless, like me, your default route is unlit country lanes and it’s getting dark!

I've always been a bit weird in that I actually really like rain. Enjoy going for walks in the rain, and running in the rain is about the only time I enjoy running!! 

Heading out for a ride tomorrow morning, and actually quite looking forward to it... ?‍♂️

• Like 1

I like your thinking. To be fair, wind is more my enemy than rain. At least with rain you can keep your pace consistent. 

That said, I postponed my longer run from this morning to tomorrow morning before work just because I prefer the forecast. 

Love those country lanes btw. Nice and flat, all farms and fields and very little traffic. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Harry said:

Yep. Love running in the rain too. 
Wind can do one, but rain - yep, love it. 

We'll have to do a South Glos division OTIB Runners amble at some point ? 

Natch at the finish line of course...

• Like 2