Jump to content

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Recommended Posts

20 hours ago, MarcusX said:

Got a good long session in today

18.5 mile run along the canal. Walked in places where needed. 3 hours and 10 minutes

then 90 minutes of football training

and a round of golf!

47.3k steps 😂

6 weeks til my ultra marathon and time on the legs is looking good, and feeling less painful than I thought it might

Incredible activity levels!

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, !james said:

Broke in the new trainers with a nice 23k on Sunday! Definitely feel like I want to train for marathon distance but would like an event to aim for... 

London Marathon 2022 maybe.. cant see anything this side of a vaccination 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TomF said:

London Marathon 2022 maybe.. cant see anything this side of a vaccination 

Yeah I see events in 2021 and guidance on how they will do it, staggered starts etc but can't see how they will go ahead...

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 03/08/2020 at 18:35, mozo said:

Incredible activity levels!

Thanks, it’s Tuesday and my legs still ache 😂 but I had football training again last night. Rest day today

Training starts to ramp up this month, back to back weekend runs and about 200 miles in total all being well. Did 138 in July and 75 in June

Link to post
Share on other sites

Got some fantastic news today - my sports masseuse is reopening. Booked in on Monday already and desperately needed - last one was end of Feb and I find them vital for getting rid of the knots from running.

Having done about 1,500k since and the top of my legs feeling like dead weights I am expecting nothing but pain!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 04/08/2020 at 20:46, Silvio Dante said:

Got some fantastic news today - my sports masseuse is reopening. Booked in on Monday already and desperately needed - last one was end of Feb and I find them vital for getting rid of the knots from running.

Having done about 1,500k since and the top of my legs feeling like dead weights I am expecting nothing but pain!

Same with me. Broken. Aches everywhere!

Got given a free massage gun thing a while back and that is good but it is much easier for me to give money to someone to hurt me instead of trying to do it myself!

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 04/08/2020 at 20:46, Silvio Dante said:

Got some fantastic news today - my sports masseuse is reopening. Booked in on Monday already and desperately needed - last one was end of Feb and I find them vital for getting rid of the knots from running.

Having done about 1,500k since and the top of my legs feeling like dead weights I am expecting nothing but pain!

🙈🙈🙈🙈

That is going to hurt!! 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Rob k said:

London marathon cancelled until October 2021

Can’t say I’m shocked. From reading, the elite course is a 1.5 mile loop that they can keep spectators away from.

Incidentally on a local level Westonbirt 10k got bumped to 2021 today but the Bath Two Tunnels goes ahead next weekend. Slightly different format with runners going at 30 secs intervals but fair play to them for getting something on that looks like it’s been arranged responsibly.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Silvio Dante said:

Can’t say I’m shocked. From reading, the elite course is a 1.5 mile loop that they can keep spectators away from.

Incidentally on a local level Westonbirt 10k got bumped to 2021 today but the Bath Two Tunnels goes ahead next weekend. Slightly different format with runners going at 30 secs intervals but fair play to them for getting something on that looks like it’s been arranged responsibly.

👍

was also told today that the Severn bridge 10k was taking entries today too

For me personally, it’s better that the LM is in October rather than April as I’m doing the Outlaw in July so want to peak for that. I will then have a few weeks break on hols and will then focus on the Marathon 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Rob k said:

👍

was also told today that the Severn bridge 10k was taking entries today too

For me personally, it’s better that the LM is in October rather than April as I’m doing the Outlaw in July so want to peak for that. I will then have a few weeks break on hols and will then focus on the Marathon 

Sounds like a good plan mate. Had planned to do Poznan this year but that has been cancelled as well now. Found a small local marathon with limited numbers in Denmark at the end of October. It's drivable from here (around 7 and a half hours...), so hoping that one will still be on. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 04/08/2020 at 19:57, Reigate Red said:

Have downloaded couch to 5k and did run 1 - does that count :laughcont:

Fair play mate. I started it back in January as I wanted to do something in addition to swimming

Found it tough sometimes but it’s surprising how quickly your stamina builds up and, whilst I’m nowhere near the levels of some on this thread, I do about 6/7km a few times each week and considering my ability at the start I am well happy with

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

A little bit of tech advice required from you savvy lot. 
 

My 5-a-side football is starting again this Monday. I’d be interested in tracking my distance. 
 

At the moment, when running, I just use the Strava App on my phone and carry the phone is a waistband. 
 

Obvs I won’t be able to wear the waistband and carry the phone when playing. 
 

So, what’s the easiest / cheapest way of getting a wearable that’ll give me my running distance for the game (and link to Strava too - but not absolutely necessary if that’s not a cheap option - I don’t wanna spend 100’s of pounds, just a simple distance tracker). 
 

Cheers in advance folks. 

Edited by Harry
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Harry said:

A little bit of tech advice required from you savvy lot. 
 

My 5-a-side football is starting again this Monday. I’d be interested in tracking my distance. 
 

At the moment, when running, I just use the Strava App on my phone and carry the phone is a waistband. 
 

Obvs I won’t be able to wear the waistband and carry the phone when playing. 
 

So, what’s the easiest / cheapest way of getting a wearable that’ll give me my running distance for the game (and link to Strava too - but not absolutely necessary if that’s not a cheap option - I don’t wanna spend 100’s of pounds, just a simple distance tracker). 
 

Cheers in advance folks. 

Oddly mate, I’m having similar issues. 
 

Last year at five a side, I was wearing a fitbit ionic. Could start off the watch and auto upload to Strava easily. Other half bought me an Apple Watch and I have Strava linked but damned if I can get football to sync - hasn’t each of last two weeks. It will, I’m clearly not doing it right.

So, base advice - a fitbit will do the trick. If you can’t get hold of one more than welcome to have mine as it’s just gathering dust. Sync to Strava is dead easy.

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Oddly mate, I’m having similar issues. 
 

Last year at five a side, I was wearing a fitbit ionic. Could start off the watch and auto upload to Strava easily. Other half bought me an Apple Watch and I have Strava linked but damned if I can get football to sync - hasn’t each of last two weeks. It will, I’m clearly not doing it right.

So, base advice - a fitbit will do the trick. If you can’t get hold of one more than welcome to have mine as it’s just gathering dust. Sync to Strava is dead easy.

Cheers bud. 
So, Fitbit purchasing advice then. As I’ve never owned or even looked into one. 
What model am I looking for - ideally as cheap as pos, but be able to track the kms and sync to Strava? 

Link to post
Share on other sites

To get a fitbit that syncs to Strava, you need one of the “watch” models. The real basic ones with the five dots you can’t start an exercise on and are just pedometers. Therefore, something like an Ionic which I had works. Charges etc I think work ok as well. Basically, your only question is “can I manually start an exercise on this” (loads of them pick it up automatically though). Whether it’s auto track exercise or manual log though, it will sync to Strava.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

Oddly mate, I’m having similar issues. 
 

Last year at five a side, I was wearing a fitbit ionic. Could start off the watch and auto upload to Strava easily. Other half bought me an Apple Watch and I have Strava linked but damned if I can get football to sync - hasn’t each of last two weeks. It will, I’m clearly not doing it right.

So, base advice - a fitbit will do the trick. If you can’t get hold of one more than welcome to have mine as it’s just gathering dust. Sync to Strava is dead easy.

Mate if the budget could stretch I’d go for the Garmin 235, it’s brilliant for the money and has an option that would track your KMs when playing football. 
 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Rob k said:

Mate if the budget could stretch I’d go for the Garmin 235, it’s brilliant for the money and has an option that would track your KMs when playing football. 
 

 

Cheers Rob. Just looked at those. 
Was hoping not to spend that much, just after something cheap and cheerful to use for football only. 
 

Would something like the below do the job, or is it just a pedometer? 
 

 

C3BB527A-C2F0-48DB-A533-000424ACAB75.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites

@Harry when running I use the strava app too but I have a cheap sports direct bumbag that I use to keep my phone in. Unlike a sad old Brit tourist on the Costa Del Sol though I have the bumbag well hidden under my running top and the pouch at the back to avoid any untoward interference. . Have used this before for 5aside when I was on endomondo and it worked fine and didn’t find it at all cumbersome. And it was only about a fiver. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 04/08/2020 at 19:57, Reigate Red said:

Have downloaded couch to 5k and did run 1 - does that count :laughcont:

It's how I started a couple of months ago! Really good app to get you going. Unfortunately it couldn't help me overcome my hatred of running. Best of luck with it tho! 

The pools are back open on 1st Sept, thank the Lord. 🏊‍♂️

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CyderInACan said:

@Harry when running I use the strava app too but I have a cheap sports direct bumbag that I use to keep my phone in. Unlike a sad old Brit tourist on the Costa Del Sol though I have the bumbag well hidden under my running top and the pouch at the back to avoid any untoward interference. . Have used this before for 5aside when I was on endomondo and it worked fine and didn’t find it at all cumbersome. And it was only about a fiver. 

Cheers Reg. Yes, I have a similar ‘Russian hooligan’ style cheapo bumbag when running to carry the phone. But I didn’t want to wear it to football (the amount of times I crack one in the nuts is not good, so I know damn well someone will blast one into my bumbag and smash the phone!!) 

I think I’ve got the solution now. 
@Silvio Dante has very kindly offered me his Fitbit Ionic, and didn’t want anything for it, aside from a donation to CHSW, to which I’ve this evening donated £30.  
Very kind of Silvio and much appreciated. 
 

I took it for a test this morning. Walked round the village with daughter in buggy, and then when I got home I opened Strava and it linked the walk. So a good test result. 
Hopefully that should work for football tomorrow night, and I can wear the watch with a sweatband covering it. 
 

Only thing was, the walk was about 4.5k but the watch only logged 3.4k. So no matter what the result tomorrow, I’m gonna claim I ran 10k, ha ha. 
 

Gonna be a shock to some of my muscles and 46.5 year old bones tomorrow, having not played since early March. Luckily everyone was desperate to play so we’ve actually got 6 a side on the 5 a side court, so maybe I won’t need to do as much running as usual! But I’m still predicting ‘stiff as ****’ on Tuesday morning! 

Edited by Harry
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Harry said:

Cheers Reg. Yes, I have a similar ‘Russian hooligan’ style cheapo bumbag when running to carry the phone. But I didn’t want to wear it to football (the amount of times I crack one in the nuts is not good, so I know damn well someone will blast one into my bumbag and smash the phone!!) 

I think I’ve got the solution now. 
@Silvio Dante has very kindly offered me his Fitbit Ionic, and didn’t want anything for it, aside from a donation to CHSW, to which I’ve this evening donated £30.  
Very kind of Silvio and much appreciated. 
 

I took it for a test this morning. Walked round the village with daughter in buggy, and then when I got home I opened Strava and it linked the walk. So a good test result. 
Hopefully that should work for football tomorrow night, and I can wear the watch with a sweatband covering it. 
 

Only thing was, the walk was about 4.5k but the watch only logged 3.4k. So no matter what the result tomorrow, I’m gonna claim I ran 10k, ha ha. 
 

Gonna be a shock to some of my muscles and 46.5 year old bones tomorrow, having not played since early March. Luckily everyone was desperate to play so we’ve actually got 6 a side on the 5 a side court, so maybe I won’t need to do as much running as usual! But I’m still predicting ‘stiff as ****’ on Tuesday morning! 

Result. Good luck for later - update us afterwards! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, CyderInACan said:

Result. Good luck for later - update us afterwards! 

Great to be back playing football. 5 months without!! Dang. 
Gonna feel it tomorrow. Despite all the hundreds of kms clocked since lockdown, it’s such a massively different effort. 
 

Strava & Fitbit linked up fine. Although I am still doubting the distance the Fitbit is clocking - had me at 3.3k. Another player clocked 4.2 and I know I did just as much as him. Ah well, it’s registering something, which is what I wanted. So all good. 
 

Not looking forward to the stiffness tomorrow morn!!! 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Harry said:

Great to be back playing football. 5 months without!! Dang. 
Gonna feel it tomorrow. Despite all the hundreds of kms clocked since lockdown, it’s such a massively different effort. 
 

Strava & Fitbit linked up fine. Although I am still doubting the distance the Fitbit is clocking - had me at 3.3k. Another player clocked 4.2 and I know I did just as much as him. Ah well, it’s registering something, which is what I wanted. So all good. 
 

Not looking forward to the stiffness tomorrow morn!!! 

My first game back on Thursday - looking forward to it - gonna be a test for sure 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 22/06/2020 at 09:36, BRISTOL86 said:

Really, really impressed with the new earphones. After almost a year running without music after my last earphones packed in, it's been an absolute joy to be running with music again, I'd forgotten just how much it picks me up when I'm starting to flag.

d8935f40b07c48d13442c02b7a7551d2.jpg

Looked at loads of pricier models but none of them ticked everything I wanted (i.e. properly waterproof and comfortable to run in) at a price I was happy to pay just for workout earphones, as I already have a nice pair of wireless over ear headphones for general use. 

First impressions are really good, first time of having an 'AirPods' style earphone, was worried they'd move around and not be comfortable to run in but they're great, and for £46 if they only last a year I won't lose any sleep as opposed to some which are £150-£200.

Anker Soundcore Life P2

 

I too can vouch for these. Great quality and sound and they’re just over £30 at the minute, we’ll worth it

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...