Jump to content

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

IGNORED

Runners!


Recommended Posts

@SuperDziek @Silvio Dante @Rob k

Interesting to see you mention Bridge Valley Road SuperDzieck. I always considered that to be a super hard climb - and it is. 
I thought I’d have a quick look at the climbs we all did this weekend. 


Bridge Valley - 0.7k Grade 7.6%
Somerset Monument - 0.7k Grade 8.3%
Old London Road - 0.7k Grade 10.7%
 

I knew the other 2 were biggies but had no idea they were beastlier than Bridge Valley. 
 

You were right Rob K - she’s a bloody brute! 

To think @mozodid this blighter on Xmas day, 15k into a half!!! Maaaan!! 
 

I absolutely hated going up there this morning and yet I absolutely loved it too. And I absolutely never want to do it again but know I will love it when I do 🤣

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Harry said:

@SuperDziek @Silvio Dante @Rob k

Interesting to see you mention Bridge Valley Road SuperDzieck. I always considered that to be a super hard climb - and it is. 
I thought I’d have a quick look at the climbs we all did this weekend. 


Bridge Valley - 0.7k Grade 7.6%
Somerset Monument - 0.7k Grade 8.3%
Old London Road - 0.7k Grade 10.7%
 

I knew the other 2 were biggies but had no idea they were beastlier than Bridge Valley. 
 

You were right Rob K - she’s a bloody brute! 

To think @mozodid this blighter on Xmas day, 15k into a half!!! Maaaan!! 
 

I absolutely hated going up there this morning and yet I absolutely loved it too. And I absolutely never want to do it again but know I will love it when I do 🤣

Did you ever see the sprint finish the pro cyclists did up it a few years back. I was like I can’t even go up it that fast in my car 🤣

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Harry said:

@SuperDziek @Silvio Dante @Rob k

Interesting to see you mention Bridge Valley Road SuperDzieck. I always considered that to be a super hard climb - and it is. 
I thought I’d have a quick look at the climbs we all did this weekend. 


Bridge Valley - 0.7k Grade 7.6%
Somerset Monument - 0.7k Grade 8.3%
Old London Road - 0.7k Grade 10.7%
 

I knew the other 2 were biggies but had no idea they were beastlier than Bridge Valley. 
 

You were right Rob K - she’s a bloody brute! 

To think @mozodid this blighter on Xmas day, 15k into a half!!! Maaaan!! 
 

I absolutely hated going up there this morning and yet I absolutely loved it too. And I absolutely never want to do it again but know I will love it when I do 🤣

I did some hill sprints on peg hill on Thursday - that was bad enough! Yet Nothing like what you chaps have been up to 😂😂

I shall be doing the 2nd half of the greenman route soon and im told there Is a nasty hill out by Dundry, i think i have cycled the same ridge so if it’s where i think it is that’s going to be a toughy 

 

Edited by Rob k
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TomF said:

Did you ever see the sprint finish the pro cyclists did up it a few years back. I was like I can’t even go up it that fast in my car 🤣

I did. It’s a tough climb even for those pro’s. In comparison, this climb today would be more like the Planche Des Belles Filles!!! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Harry said:

@SuperDziek @Silvio Dante @Rob k

Interesting to see you mention Bridge Valley Road SuperDzieck. I always considered that to be a super hard climb - and it is. 
I thought I’d have a quick look at the climbs we all did this weekend. 


Bridge Valley - 0.7k Grade 7.6%
Somerset Monument - 0.7k Grade 8.3%
Old London Road - 0.7k Grade 10.7%
 

I knew the other 2 were biggies but had no idea they were beastlier than Bridge Valley. 
 

You were right Rob K - she’s a bloody brute! 

To think @mozodid this blighter on Xmas day, 15k into a half!!! Maaaan!! 
 

I absolutely hated going up there this morning and yet I absolutely loved it too. And I absolutely never want to do it again but know I will love it when I do 🤣

That last bits the absolute truth! I’ve been sat pondering when I do today’s route again, as I’m now kicking myself for not extending into the village and Petty France!

The great thing about running is that you see somewhere and think “Not been there, is it strikeable?” And you go. Seen so much more of the area (and the world, pre lockdown) than I ever would before I started this rubbish!

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Rob k said:

Anyone going to do Bristol half?

Yep. Shame the 10k is on same day. 
 

I’m wondering if the London Marathon will get pushed back to the autumn too.  Edit just seen it’s down for October 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 17/01/2021 at 21:11, Harry said:

@SuperDziek @Silvio Dante @Rob k

Interesting to see you mention Bridge Valley Road SuperDzieck. I always considered that to be a super hard climb - and it is. 
I thought I’d have a quick look at the climbs we all did this weekend. 


Bridge Valley - 0.7k Grade 7.6%
Somerset Monument - 0.7k Grade 8.3%
Old London Road - 0.7k Grade 10.7%
 

I knew the other 2 were biggies but had no idea they were beastlier than Bridge Valley. 
 

You were right Rob K - she’s a bloody brute! 

To think @mozodid this blighter on Xmas day, 15k into a half!!! Maaaan!! 
 

I absolutely hated going up there this morning and yet I absolutely loved it too. And I absolutely never want to do it again but know I will love it when I do 🤣

Fair play to you taking on the beast!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 17/01/2021 at 21:11, Harry said:

@SuperDziek @Silvio Dante @Rob k

Interesting to see you mention Bridge Valley Road SuperDzieck. I always considered that to be a super hard climb - and it is. 
I thought I’d have a quick look at the climbs we all did this weekend. 


Bridge Valley - 0.7k Grade 7.6%
Somerset Monument - 0.7k Grade 8.3%
Old London Road - 0.7k Grade 10.7%
 

I knew the other 2 were biggies but had no idea they were beastlier than Bridge Valley. 
 

You were right Rob K - she’s a bloody brute! 

To think @mozodid this blighter on Xmas day, 15k into a half!!! Maaaan!! 
 

I absolutely hated going up there this morning and yet I absolutely loved it too. And I absolutely never want to do it again but know I will love it when I do 🤣

Yeah as Coomber says BVR is a beast - the problem being once you're at the top, everywhere else is uphill too! (unless you run straight back down which is cheating) 

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, CyderInACan said:

Yeah as Coomber says BVR is a beast - the problem being once you're at the top, everywhere else is uphill too! (unless you run straight back down which is cheating) 

This sounds like a run i want to have a crack at once Lockdown is over....

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Rob k said:

This sounds like a run i want to have a crack at once Lockdown is over....

Top of BVR - which way you gonna go? Left towards the Sea Walls, Straight on past the Zoo to Redland or Right towards CV & the Suspension Bridge? I've done straight on & right, yet to go left towards the Sea Walls, Ladies Mile etc 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

Top of BVR - which way you gonna go? Left towards the Sea Walls, Straight on past the Zoo to Redland or Right towards CV & the Suspension Bridge? I've done straight on & right, yet to go left towards the Sea Walls, Ladies Mile etc 

Well i might start the run at the bottom and then do half the Greenman route so over to the suspension bridge and back to Yate through the fields 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 17/01/2021 at 21:11, Harry said:

Bridge Valley - 0.7k Grade 7.6%
Somerset Monument - 0.7k Grade 8.3%
Old London Road - 0.7k Grade 10.7%

Just back from a run which included going up Jacob's Wells Rd - where's the most reliable source for gradients as I'm intrigued to see what it is. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

Just back from a run which included going up Jacob's Wells Rd - where's the most reliable source for gradients as I'm intrigued to see what it is. 

Hi mate. On Strava. Go to analysis. It breaks down certain ‘known’ parts of your route. 
JWR (0.53k at 6.9%) is easier than Bridge Valley (0.7k at 7.6%), judging by this. Here’s your effort today :

 

FF806C04-2627-4ABF-8432-EE6F8D801DA1.jpeg

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Harry said:

Hi mate. On Strava. Go to analysis. It breaks down certain ‘known’ parts of your route. 
JWR (0.53k at 6.9%) is easier than Bridge Valley (0.7k at 7.6%), judging by this. Here’s your effort today :

Gotcha - it didn't feel as long or steep as BVR to be fair, still a decent climb though - cheers for the tip though, never really bothered with that before 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Harry said:

Hi mate. On Strava. Go to analysis. It breaks down certain ‘known’ parts of your route. 
JWR (0.53k at 6.9%) is easier than Bridge Valley (0.7k at 7.6%), judging by this. Here’s your effort today :

 

FF806C04-2627-4ABF-8432-EE6F8D801DA1.jpeg

Come on @CyderInACan  put some effort into it - JWR is a doddle 😉 

Edited by SuperDziek
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Living 450ft up in Portishead is a daily pain of 'which fecking Hill do I want to crawl back up today' 

P.S  Naish Hill should be mentioned at some point.  The beast of beasty hills with average of 13.6%

 

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

@Rob k

Mate. Just seen your Strava from today. 
You’ve done another bloody marathon! Wow. Congrats mate, that’s superb. 
And 4:35 too. Mint time. 
Proud of you bud. I know you’ve worked damn hard for that. 👍👏👏👏

Edited by Harry
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Harry said:

@Rob k

Mate. Just seen your Strava from today. 
You’ve done another bloody marathon! Wow. Congrats mate, that’s superb. 
And 4:35 too. Mint time. 
Proud of you bud. I know you’ve worked damn hard for that. 👍👏👏👏

Cheers mate, appreciate it 

I actually went out with a mate who is training for a run, he’s running from London to Frampton in 24hrs to raise funds for CHSW. Anyway ive said i would try and run 30 of the miles with him towards the end to help out a bit so was good to see where i was. 

It was a nice run yesterday, got a bit tougher towards the end but not too bad, I’m quite confident i will be able to do the 30 in March. It won’t be a fast run but it will be long, I’m doing London in October and I’m hoping to go for a 3.55 in that one

  • Like 3
  • Flames 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, TomF said:

Might be gone by late afternoon.  Next week looking warmer but wet.. not sure what I prefer 🤣

True. I enjoy running in the rain and also enjoy the cold. But never wind - hate running in wind 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 24/01/2021 at 08:21, Harry said:

True. I enjoy running in the rain and also enjoy the cold. But never wind - hate running in wind 

Lovely conditions for running yesterday. I wore trail shoes but the sun had melted most of the slippy stuff by the afternoon. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Good to see this post still going strong you've all given me the bug to do more. Weird to see the mentions of Chase Lane as I actually live on it! There are two routes up to Hawkesbury the one past the monument is brutal the other past Hawkesbury church is a little easier but feels longer. One day I will be able to get up either running the whole way :laugh:.

Keep up the good work!

 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 25/01/2021 at 09:34, mozo said:

Lovely conditions for running yesterday. I wore trail shoes but the sun had melted most of the slippy stuff by the afternoon. 

Yeah I enjoyed Sunday run.  Knee's still not fully recovered from few weeks ago. Opted for a knee support to see if I can shake it off.  Looks lovely out there today.. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, TMWANG50 said:

Good to see this post still going strong you've all given me the bug to do more. Weird to see the mentions of Chase Lane as I actually live on it! There are two routes up to Hawkesbury the one past the monument is brutal the other past Hawkesbury church is a little easier but feels longer. One day I will be able to get up either running the whole way :laugh:.

Keep up the good work!

 

Excellent. Good to hear you’re active. 
Yeah, I’m just over in Charfield and have ran up Chase Lane a few times, then along toward King Lane.  It’s a lovely route. 
I’ve only noticed a few dwellings up there - a row of houses just up from the entrance to Lower Woods, and then another row just by the turn to Orange End. Aside from that just a few farmhouses. Whereabouts are you? 
I think I might run that route again this weekend maybe. 
Silvio Dante is the other who’s run along there, having run from the Wickwar side of Yate/Sodbury. 
I’ve yet to do the hill all the way up to the monument, which Silvio did the other week. Might have to try that this weekend, doing the route straight on at Orange End. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Harry said:

Excellent. Good to hear you’re active. 
Yeah, I’m just over in Charfield and have ran up Chase Lane a few times, then along toward King Lane.  It’s a lovely route. 
I’ve only noticed a few dwellings up there - a row of houses just up from the entrance to Lower Woods, and then another row just by the turn to Orange End. Aside from that just a few farmhouses. Whereabouts are you? 
I think I might run that route again this weekend maybe. 
Silvio Dante is the other who’s run along there, having run from the Wickwar side of Yate/Sodbury. 
I’ve yet to do the hill all the way up to the monument, which Silvio did the other week. Might have to try that this weekend, doing the route straight on at Orange End. 

I shall be doing the majority of this route sat - this must go close to a few of you lot 

C148CDF3-BE58-41C3-B2E3-9C9B8492403B.png

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rob k said:

I shall be doing the majority of this route sat - this must go close to a few of you lot 

C148CDF3-BE58-41C3-B2E3-9C9B8492403B.png

Nice. Yep, the road up to Hawkesbury Upton is the one with the tasty hill. Although, can’t quite tell but I reckon that route just avoids the biggie. 
If you go straight on instead of that 90 degree right turn just before you head up to Hawkesbury, you should carry on straight for a km or so and then do a right. That’ll take you up the big one. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...