Jump to content
IGNORED

Runners!


mozo
 Share

Recommended Posts

10 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

Nah, fifth rejection in a row. Just like my dating days...

 

7 hours ago, TomF said:

Nor me.  Will probably go in for the Bristol Half now. 

I didn't either, tempted to do the virtual marathon instead. 

Signed up to the Bristol Half, fingers crossed it can go ahead!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

I went out just before 8am. Phone suggested it was -1 but felt -5. Took 3k to get warmed up and feeling in hands, ok once running but as soon as you stop and not running on adrenaline any more...jeez that’s cold!

I went out just after 6am and it was fresh! Love running in the cold though, much prefer it to running when it’s warm strangely 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, ziderheadarmy said:

I did 13k in shorts this morning. I’m feeling it now. I usually only do 5 to 7k.

Can anyone recommend a decent glove / hat supplier? 
 

Also as a new comer I’m currently running in trail shoes as I do a bit of road / gravel and grass running. Any advice? 

Decathlon do cheap decent gear - long been rumoured to have agreed to open a store whenever Imperial Park extension gets finished but no sign of anything solid on that happening since 2018/19.

so until then it’s online https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/running-hat/

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/02/2021 at 14:40, tommy_b said:

Decathlon do cheap decent gear - long been rumoured to have agreed to open a store whenever Imperial Park extension gets finished but no sign of anything solid on that happening since 2018/19.

so until then it’s online https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/running-hat/

Decathlon are awesome. Really good, reasonably priced top & shorts etc - recommended 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, Rob k said:

I didn’t even get a mile in - something is not quite right at the moment. And it was freezing out there and had to walk back 🙈

Went out this morning and with wind chill at the start it was -9. That’s just basically insane. I intentionally went a route where if I got too cold I could double back earlier, but intent was to time it so I ran door to door, as the walk is what’s the killer at present.

Other half’s got loads of aches as well at the moment - I think it might be down to the weather in large part as you’re effectively trying to run a muscle that is frozen stiff. That can’t be good.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

Went out this morning and with wind chill at the start it was -9. That’s just basically insane. I intentionally went a route where if I got too cold I could double back earlier, but intent was to time it so I ran door to door, as the walk is what’s the killer at present.

Other half’s got loads of aches as well at the moment - I think it might be down to the weather in large part as you’re effectively trying to run a muscle that is frozen stiff. That can’t be good.

 

Had one the other week that was -14 with a wind chill of -19. Bit of a bastard that one. Had so many layers on that it was basically just waddling rather than running.

It's been below -10 every day for a month now. Luckily the gyms finally re-opened yesterday so being able to get in a run on the treadmill this morning was bliss.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/02/2021 at 11:37, terpin said:

 

Had one the other week that was -14 with a wind chill of -19. Bit of a bastard that one. Had so many layers on that it was basically just waddling rather than running.

It's been below -10 every day for a month now. Luckily the gyms finally re-opened yesterday so being able to get in a run on the treadmill this morning was bliss.

Mate can you believe it’s nearly a year since having beers on that beach!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Coppello said:

I know that there was a cyclist earlier in this thread who was shot down but does anyone else balance the running with cycling? I've recently got a turbo trainer and signed up to Zwift. It definitely makes winter trainer a lot more enjoyable and competitive. 

I do - in fact if i had to choose between running and cycling then cycling wins hands down. I think i have the only bike on the planet that’s not compatible with a turbo! There is no way of attaching the back wheel! Time to jump back on the bike this weekend and get a few miles under my belt as got a few 100m + sportives coming up in April and May. 
The one below in May is a tough old ride but stunning scenery 

https://www.blackratcycle.co.uk/events-2021/granfondo-23-may-181km/

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, Coppello said:

I know that there was a cyclist earlier in this thread who was shot down but does anyone else balance the running with cycling? I've recently got a turbo trainer and signed up to Zwift. It definitely makes winter trainer a lot more enjoyable and competitive. 

I’d considered it earlier in ... some lockdown, **** knows which. 
How cheap and easy is it to turn your standard road bike into something that can be used internally for Zwift etc?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, tommy_b said:

I’d considered it earlier in ... some lockdown, **** knows which. 
How cheap and easy is it to turn your standard road bike into something that can be used internally for Zwift etc?

I bought a Wahoo Kickr core for £700 which sounds like a lot but couldn’t recommend it more highly. I think it’s considered mid range and I believe there’s slightly cheaper ways of doing it but you don’t always get all of the interactive features like the gradient changing as you’re climbing. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I know this is loser talk among proper runners but I just find winter training to be wretched. Hate it. Trying to notch the required 40 plus miles in a week of unrelenting cold/wind/rain is not my idea of fun and I’m happy to admit it.

This is the last Spring marathon I sign up to - all Autumn race day that distance in the future!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Admin
1 hour ago, mozo said:

I know this is loser talk among proper runners but I just find winter training to be wretched. Hate it. Trying to notch the required 40 plus miles in a week of unrelenting cold/wind/rain is not my idea of fun and I’m happy to admit it.

This is the last Spring marathon I sign up to - all Autumn race day that distance in the future!

No it’s ****ing awful.  Was aiming for 200k this month and that’s doubtful after last week. Thought we’d seen the worst of it after last week but the winds this week not much better. It’s starting to slowly improve tho - today was nice in shorts and short sleeve top.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, TomF said:

No it’s ****ing awful.  Was aiming for 200k this month and that’s doubtful after last week. Thought we’d seen the worst of it after last week but the winds this week not much better. It’s starting to slowly improve tho - today was nice in shorts and short sleeve top.

Thanks Tom, I feel better that you’re suffering too! The fact that the marathon that I’m training for has been pushed back to October leaves me in limbo too with no races likely summer very earliest I guess??

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 18/02/2021 at 12:22, mozo said:

I know this is loser talk among proper runners but I just find winter training to be wretched. Hate it. Trying to notch the required 40 plus miles in a week of unrelenting cold/wind/rain is not my idea of fun and I’m happy to admit it.

This is the last Spring marathon I sign up to - all Autumn race day that distance in the future!

This time last year I was in the midst of Brighton Marathon training for April 2020 and Feb was a struggle due to the shit weather. Coupled with some of my work travelling meaning doing long runs around hotel stays (almost a year to the day since the worst evening - running in the snow near Huddersfield away, feels a lifetime ago but SUCH A RUBBISH GAME OF FOOTBALL). It wasn't that fun but it seemed easier to wrap up and get out with the knowledge that by April I'd be enjoying sunnier evenings to head out.

Now it's a long wait until everything 'big' in autumn, if they happen, and the idea of training through summer heat is not really appealing. 

Makes long runs a lot harder with all the hydration and fuel required to keep going, I find I need so much less to keep myself going during winter.

Feb 2020 ended up with 185 miles of running - on 85 miles Feb 2021 so far but it's just all lacklustre stuff and running without any tempo considerations. 

The cold last week and this crap wind just hasn't helped me at all ... went for a 20 mile Severn Bridge loop the other day just to extend mileage but overall it's kinda without much purpose. Meh.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’ve been struggling with a niggly bottom of the calf the last few weeks - it keeps tightening after a small run,  it’s  defiantly not a pull, it’s like there is a knot that needs to be pulled out if that makes sense. It’s really annoying me. 
Im stretching loads but it just won’t go 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 19/02/2021 at 20:37, tommy_b said:

This time last year I was in the midst of Brighton Marathon training for April 2020 and Feb was a struggle due to the shit weather. Coupled with some of my work travelling meaning doing long runs around hotel stays (almost a year to the day since the worst evening - running in the snow near Huddersfield away, feels a lifetime ago but SUCH A RUBBISH GAME OF FOOTBALL). It wasn't that fun but it seemed easier to wrap up and get out with the knowledge that by April I'd be enjoying sunnier evenings to head out.

Now it's a long wait until everything 'big' in autumn, if they happen, and the idea of training through summer heat is not really appealing. 

Makes long runs a lot harder with all the hydration and fuel required to keep going, I find I need so much less to keep myself going during winter.

Feb 2020 ended up with 185 miles of running - on 85 miles Feb 2021 so far but it's just all lacklustre stuff and running without any tempo considerations. 

The cold last week and this crap wind just hasn't helped me at all ... went for a 20 mile Severn Bridge loop the other day just to extend mileage but overall it's kinda without much purpose. Meh.

Maybe it’s personal to me because despite being very perspiratory in the heat I still enjoy the running. Plus in the summer months it’s easier to wake up early with early daylight hours and everything is less gloomy and hence more motivating. These warmer temps have been a big relief to me.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...