IGNORED

Runners!

mozo

22 hours ago, tommy_b said:

Very nicely done. 6 hours 20 (like the first finisher!) or 12 hours, the distance is the same and it’s a beast. The summer edition is easier on the legs (if you manage the heat / hydration)….

I saw the winner did a 21m 5k Sunday morning ??

6 hours ago, Rob k said:

I saw the winner did a 21m 5k Sunday morning ??

He’s a beast. Also has the record for a double at 15 hours something. 

He would also have been one of the very few people capable of completing the Green Man and then also going to watch City v Birmingham. 
A good reason why I took my 10 hours :)

Edited by tommy_b

Anyone got any advice…

been running consistently, no issues.  
Play weekly football (ie 6-8 aside, nothing serious) as well and up until December had been fine combing both. 
Got a couple of core abdominal niggles from it. Running itself never caused any flare up, just football.

Rested for a couple of months (also mainly due to diary clashes) and returned to football yesterday. Kept it simple without too much exertion but once again today my core is sore and the short run I went for at lunch time felt stiff. 

Any advice for core muscle injury prevention / cures? I’d guess stretching pre football but other than that… anyone else?

On 11/03/2022 at 23:03, tommy_b said:

Any advice for core muscle injury prevention / cures? I’d guess stretching pre football but other than that… anyone else?

I am currently running every day and play 5aside every Thursday too. I find that warming down is just as important as warming up. If that helps. 

5 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

I am currently running every day and play 5aside every Thursday too. I find that warming down is just as important as warming up. If that helps. 

I go to the pub afterwards and if I don’t sit down then I do try for a couple of very casual stretches whilst drinking :)

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

Gutted. After two years Covid has finally visited. Throat on fire and no way running is any way on the cards - streak of (I think) 511 days of run every day comes to an end :(

My legs will probably thank me but it feels pretty hurting right now.

Oh that sucks mate. Be proud of that streak though - that's awesome. Hope you are feeling better and back out ASAP 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, CyderInACan said:

Managed to keep the run every day streak  going so far this year and now on 503km (which is more than the entirety of 2021) so feeling pretty chuffed with that 

Well done mate very impressive... 3 a week is a push for me..

• Like 1

Hello. Forgive the relative laziness, I have tried a quick online search but no joy. 

Can anyone recommend a fitness tracker that doesn’t have a watch? Just after something to give me distance covered / time lapsed really and if it can match up with an app on my phone, even better.  Doesn’t have to be too fancy as I’m only a very amateur runner (about 25k a week) but I’d like to know how far I travel either walking or running on a daily basis.

I think Fitbit used to do a fairly basic one a while back but they all seem to be more watch based now. 

I’ve had an Apple Nike Watch for a couple of years which is good as you can download songs to it and links nicely with their dedicated app but it prevents me wearing a “normal” watch and as a result I’ve got a couple of nice ones sitting in my drawer going unworn

Thanks

14 hours ago, 54-46 said:

Hello. Forgive the relative laziness, I have tried a quick online search but no joy. 

Can anyone recommend a fitness tracker that doesn’t have a watch? Just after something to give me distance covered / time lapsed really and if it can match up with an app on my phone, even better.  Doesn’t have to be too fancy as I’m only a very amateur runner (about 25k a week) but I’d like to know how far I travel either walking or running on a daily basis.

I think Fitbit used to do a fairly basic one a while back but they all seem to be more watch based now. 

I’ve had an Apple Nike Watch for a couple of years which is good as you can download songs to it and links nicely with their dedicated app but it prevents me wearing a “normal” watch and as a result I’ve got a couple of nice ones sitting in my drawer going unworn

Thanks

I'm old skool & just use Strava on my phone to track my runs, in a bumbag round my waist! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TMWANG50 said:

Surely no one is running in this heat.....?

I ran a marathon in Worcester Sunday. Sun and heat were relentless - The first race I have ever run where race marshalls were handing out sour ice pops and waiting at water stations with blocks of ice to place on the back of runners necks, to cool us down. 

Edited by PunkRockDad
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, CyderInACan said:

Just started wearing my new Hokas. Rincon 3 I think they're called. Like running on air - seem much better cushioned than my previous pair which were Saucony Fastswitch. 

These for tarmac etc? I’ve never budged from my Nike Pegasus for general everyday running and they just seem to do me good … plus I can always pick up a pair every 6-12 months for about £55-60 in a sale which helps tick me along.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TomF said:

Groin tear - been annoying me for 4-6 weeks maybe 

Hope it gets better quickly mate 

59 minutes ago, tommy_b said:

These for tarmac etc? I’ve never budged from my Nike Pegasus for general everyday running and they just seem to do me good … plus I can always pick up a pair every 6-12 months for about £55-60 in a sale which helps tick me along.   

Yeah road/pavements. Always good to try new ones I reckon. They’re ace. 

• Like 1

Anybody else on here do the Bristol 10k or Half Marathon yesterday? Was chuffed to get under 2hrs for only my 2nd HM. Felt great after the race, absolutely buzzing at the achievement but boy was there a downer today. 

Shameless plug but you can sponsor me/donate for a very worthy cause here 

https://sands.enthuse.com/pf/regcoombs

Those on Strava might have seen my moaning and complaints over recent weeks but for a wider discussion. 

Year on year my running distance has dipped, rolling 90 days this time last year was around 360 miles vs 260 miles this year on rolling 90 days. 

However on that I was managing to eek out a couple of 22/23 minute parkruns and just generally ticking along nicely. 
Up until maybe May this year I was still able to put some pace on, albeit flagging vs the year before. 

Since then? My legs just feel like lead constantly. Really heavy, struggling to get any speed or consistency into them.  Constantly aching. 
No obvious reason why; just flagging. 

Any suggestions on how to try and reset myself? Do I just need to properly flush them out with some good stretching routine / sports massaging / foam roller etc? Build a proper base using proper sensible training & slow runs?

Or is it just a cliff I’ve fallen off and can’t climb back up from?

1 hour ago, tommy_b said:

Those on Strava might have seen my moaning and complaints over recent weeks but for a wider discussion. 

Year on year my running distance has dipped, rolling 90 days this time last year was around 360 miles vs 260 miles this year on rolling 90 days. 

However on that I was managing to eek out a couple of 22/23 minute parkruns and just generally ticking along nicely. 
Up until maybe May this year I was still able to put some pace on, albeit flagging vs the year before. 

Since then? My legs just feel like lead constantly. Really heavy, struggling to get any speed or consistency into them.  Constantly aching. 
No obvious reason why; just flagging. 

Any suggestions on how to try and reset myself? Do I just need to properly flush them out with some good stretching routine / sports massaging / foam roller etc? Build a proper base using proper sensible training & slow runs?

Or is it just a cliff I’ve fallen off and can’t climb back up from?

I’m bang in the same position, I’ve done so much endurance stuff over the last 18months I’ve really neglected to the speed and track stuff, im literally plodding along and seemingly finding it impossible to get quicker.  I’ve gone right back to the start, booked a 10k race and will follow a plan to try and get quicker again, i was doing around 23m 5ks and bust my balls recently to see where i was and it was 27.30, i couldn’t have gone quicker either. It was a shock 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tommy_b said:

I always find that the warm-up & the warm-down being the same helps with any issues, barring unavoidable contact injuries etc. I've run every day this year so far (usually runs of varying distances from a quick blast round round the block to the Bristol Half-Marathon the other weekend) and it's only now, after 9 months of running, that I'm getting only a slight bit of gyp in my left calf. I might have a day of rest on New Year's Day 2023. . . 

• Like 1