IGNORED

Runners!

mozo

7 hours ago, tommy_b said:

Those on Strava might have seen my moaning and complaints over recent weeks but for a wider discussion. 

Year on year my running distance has dipped, rolling 90 days this time last year was around 360 miles vs 260 miles this year on rolling 90 days. 

However on that I was managing to eek out a couple of 22/23 minute parkruns and just generally ticking along nicely. 
Up until maybe May this year I was still able to put some pace on, albeit flagging vs the year before. 

Since then? My legs just feel like lead constantly. Really heavy, struggling to get any speed or consistency into them.  Constantly aching. 
No obvious reason why; just flagging. 

Any suggestions on how to try and reset myself? Do I just need to properly flush them out with some good stretching routine / sports massaging / foam roller etc? Build a proper base using proper sensible training & slow runs?

Or is it just a cliff I’ve fallen off and can’t climb back up from?

I feel your pain.

Since having Covid in March, I have no real long distance stamina - before I’d reel off a 10k a day, now it’s one a month if lucky. Pace also dropped by c20 seconds a km. Legs just feel heavy - and I do the Sports Massage stuff. In addition, picked up a hip injury that I can’t shake and rest does nothing for. Psychologically it’s now tough as well and I worry I’m building a mental barrier over longer distances.

Hope you find the answer as it’s bloody annoying!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 05/10/2022 at 15:45, TomF said:

I looked at that one, was tempted by that, the Newport one same day or possibly Brighton.  Hotels around Brighton are already silly money thou. 

I entered Brighton for April 2020 and was bang on track. Then covid. Deferred it when it returned in Autumn 2021 as didn’t fancy a summer training. Then couldn’t do April 2022 due to a family event postponed from March 2020. 
So am - FINALLY - running it in April 2023…

Laughingly I had originally intended to do Newport this October (before they bumped it) as a pace-test ahead of Brighton. Supposed to be quite boring for a lot of it, just back roads between Newport & Magor. 

Edited by tommy_b

On 08/10/2022 at 21:52, tommy_b said:

I entered Brighton for April 2020 and was bang on track. Then covid. Deferred it when it returned in Autumn 2021 as didn’t fancy a summer training. Then couldn’t do April 2022 due to a family event postponed from March 2020. 
So am - FINALLY - running it in April 2023…

Except I probably won’t because they look likely to be going into administration (supposed money out of the event company to directors hasn’t helped) … who knows if anyone will take on an event for 2023 that has had all the entrant money already received and squandered. 

11 hours ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Had to go scrolling to find this thread! After the last few years of abusing my body I am back trying to lose weight and get fit. Running will play a big part of that!

Started again now using my Adidas Ultraboost 21 shoes but they are feeling a little tight.

Any recommendations on running shoes?

I always go on Brooks Ghost, retail for about £100-£120 but well worth it - comfortable and good on roads.

I did pick up in the Under Armour outlet a pair of Hovr Infinites. They’re cheaper but are a good pair, grip is better so use those when icy or off road 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

I always go on Brooks Ghost, retail for about £100-£120 but well worth it - comfortable and good on roads.

I did pick up in the Under Armour outlet a pair of Hovr Infinites. They’re cheaper but are a good pair, grip is better so use those when icy or off road 

Thanks, Brooks Ghost were one of the ones I was looking at. Really like the sound of the On Cloudmonster as well reading the reviews but retail is £150-£160 which is more than I wanted to spend.

13 hours ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Had to go scrolling to find this thread! After the last few years of abusing my body I am back trying to lose weight and get fit. Running will play a big part of that!

Started again now using my Adidas Ultraboost 21 shoes but they are feeling a little tight.

I would recommend going into a decent running shop and trying loads on - if they can do gait analysis even better. When I first started out I tried dozens on and found Brooks and Nike too narrow but found Asics a good fit - then tried various styles of Asics and found the Gel Cumulus perfect for me. 

2 hours ago, !james said:

I would recommend going into a decent running shop and trying loads on - if they can do gait analysis even better. When I first started out I tried dozens on and found Brooks and Nike too narrow but found Asics a good fit - then tried various styles of Asics and found the Gel Cumulus perfect for me. 

Yeah I want to get away from having the usual Nike/Adidas. Feel like there has to be better value for money out there. And I’m not sure why but I don’t like the thought of going to a proper shop to be put on a treadmill, even though if been recommended before. Almost worried they might just say “don’t bother mate”

2 hours ago, CyderInACan said:

Currently using Hoka running shoes. Very comfy and springy (is that a word?) picked my current pair up in the sale at about £75 instead of £120. Oh and well done for getting back into it! 

https://www.hoka.com/en/gb/

Cheers mate, appreciate that. Was looking at the Hoka as well. Do they fit true to size?

28 minutes ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Cheers mate, appreciate that. Was looking at the Hoka as well. Do they fit true to size?

I’m a size 10 but take a 10.5 in the Hoka range. Was the same with Saucony pairs I had previously. Plus once you retire them and get a fresh pair, once given a good clean in the washing machine they make perfectly good “everyday daps” 

On 01/02/2023 at 23:53, formerly known as ivan said:

I’m currently wearing Saucony endorphin 3s, very comfy and the stripe reminds me of the City badge too!! Currently on sale for less than  £100

https://www.sportsshoes.com/product/sau4568/saucony-endorphin-speed-3-running-shoes-~-aw22/#sku-sau4568

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Club and Country said:

Running the London marathon in April, any tips? Aiming for under 4 hours but that's a dream at the min, to not walk is another aim!!!

any advice welcome 

I did London a few years back, it’s a great event and i loved the crowds etc, i was off the back of a bad bout of covid in the July which really affected me so didn’t run a great race, if i was you I’d build slowly, lots of zone 2 work and on the day you will be fine. I’d get starting now though if you have not started your training.

Good luck too, keep us informed of progress and how you get on

Edited by Rob k

On 09/02/2023 at 19:08, Club and Country said:

Running the London marathon in April, any tips? Aiming for under 4 hours but that's a dream at the min, to not walk is another aim!!!

any advice welcome 

I ran London last year - October.  Was hoping for sub 4 hours and came in just over 4.  

I found it difficult to get going the first few miles.  There are so many runners that you find yourself dodging in and out.  The crowds are great throughout the 26 miles.  However the last 3 miles or so, there are that many people in the crowds that you are running through a wall of noise.  This did wipe me out a bit as I just wanted to keep my head together and get to the end, at that point.

It's also worth mentioning - At the finish you are steered through to St James's Park.  I'd suggest to avoid dizziness and so forth, make sure you have plenty of refuelling in your drop bag as it took me over 2 hours to exit the park and get to the underground station.  The crowds are huge and you're effectively kettled through to the exits in stages.

It is a great day - Hope you have a brilliant race.  As @Rob kmentioned - Build slow and you'll be fine!!

• Like 1

On 09/02/2023 at 19:08, Club and Country said:

any advice welcome 

Stay in an Airbnb rather than a hotel, I made a weekend of it. I picked a less favourable area and even managed to just walk to the start. You can travel (there or) back on the tube for free so that's a bonus but obviously busy.

Pee anywhere you can find on course as the toilets will be busy :)

I actually found reading Chris Evans autobio was a good insight as he had a couple of chapters devoted to running and the marathon itself from memory. Probably pick it up for about 50p now...

7 hours ago, CyderInACan said:

Definitely. I hate running in the dark but sometimes it’s the only time available! 

I don’t mind streets in the dark and can do a few routes etc but anything off road or trail in dark with a head torch just doesn’t appeal. If I can’t see the landscape, I don’t ever feel like I’m going anywhere and mentally I’m done. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CyderInACan said:

Couldn't resist going out yesterday whilst it was snowing - through Ashton Court - a bit daft as it was very slippery but I made it back unscathed! 

I missed it yesterday! In my rush to get a run in pre Cardiff I managed to kick the kerb in my stride on Saturday. Which then poleaxed the top of my leg and strained my hamstring (I think). Tried to run Sunday and screwed. Just about managed it this morning but missed the snow which I was gutted about as it’s beautiful being out in that.

Debating whether to play football tonight. Not sure it’s the best idea!

14 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

I missed it yesterday! In my rush to get a run in pre Cardiff I managed to kick the kerb in my stride on Saturday. Which then poleaxed the top of my leg and strained my hamstring (I think). Tried to run Sunday and screwed. Just about managed it this morning but missed the snow which I was gutted about as it’s beautiful being out in that.

I'd rest up by the sound of it! 

• Haha 1

On 09/03/2023 at 15:43, Silvio Dante said:

Ha. 
I managed to over work my knee / quad during an ultra marathon last Saturday, felt it ache a bit but workable during a recovery run on Wednesday and then decide I felt stable enough to give football a pop Thursday night. 

Mistake. Quite sore this morning, figured I’d test it further with a “semi long run” and parkrun. 
More mistake. 

Throwing any pace into the run over strained it and sore again. 

Great job I’ve got Brighton Marathon in 3 weeks. That’ll just be a car crash…. haven’t done a decent long run at any target sustained pace. Bollocks :)

• Like 1