IGNORED

Runners!

mozo

4 hours ago, Mr X said:

Has anyone got any good off-road routes (10-20km) in Bristol/South Glos? I’m not one for just going round and round a park really either as I’m always tempted to stop early if I go near where I’ve parked up. 

I really fancy a run around the Lower Woods at Wickwar. Otherwise loads of quiet country roads round Thornbury (all directions).

4 hours ago, Mr X said:

Has anyone got any good off-road routes (10-20km) in Bristol/South Glos? I’m not one for just going round and round a park really either as I’m always tempted to stop early if I go near where I’ve parked up. 

6 minutes ago, mozo said:

I really fancy a run around the Lower Woods at Wickwar. Otherwise loads of quiet country roads round Thornbury (all directions).

Yep. Plenty of quiet country roads up this way. Park up anywhere from Tytherington, Wickwar, Charfield, and there’s plenty of quiet roads to run along. 
You can easily get a 10-20k in along any of these country roads 

E20CC6C9-DCD9-4818-A158-DF497C90CB9E.jpeg

7CE212C1-12C5-4D66-90E0-20D52BD42A9E.jpeg

1086FCAE-0543-4C46-BF82-E8A91366D3DB.jpeg

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Harry said:

Yep. Plenty of quiet country roads up this way. Park up anywhere from Tytherington, Wickwar, Charfield, and there’s plenty of quiet roads to run along. 
You can easily get a 10-20k in along any of these country roads 

E20CC6C9-DCD9-4818-A158-DF497C90CB9E.jpeg

7CE212C1-12C5-4D66-90E0-20D52BD42A9E.jpeg

1086FCAE-0543-4C46-BF82-E8A91366D3DB.jpeg

Thanks - they look a lot more interesting than running around Bradley Stoke!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Harry said:

She lives in the farmhouse between Yate Rocks and Wickwar, by the closed gate to the quarry. 
You’ve likely ran past her plenty of times then - she’s the crazy woman who’s often seen taking her cat for a walk ?

I would have ran past your Mums house loads then - I did a lot of running around there last winter where training for the Glos marathon . 
really nice and quiet around there - there is a horrible little hill that gets me everytime around there 

On 17/05/2020 at 19:42, formerly known as ivan said:

Anyone know if you can have two apps running at once? 

Wouldn't mind joining you on Strava as long as I can have my usual running app running at the same time for my interval running. 

I tried having two apps open at once on my run this morning. 
It worked. 
Had Strava & Map My Run both running. 
Interestingly, and as I experienced with my first use of Strava on Sunday, they log different distances! 
I stopped the Strava app at 7k on 33:13. 
The Map My Run app only reached 7k at 34:49. 

So there’s quite a difference - 1:36. That’s quite stark for a short distance. 

3 hours ago, Rob k said:

I would have ran past your Mums house loads then - I did a lot of running around there last winter where training for the Glos marathon . 
really nice and quiet around there - there is a horrible little hill that gets me everytime around there 

Mate, with the amount of running and cycling you’ve done over the last year you’ve probably gone past everyone’s mums house!! ?

28 minutes ago, Harry said:

I tried having two apps open at once on my run this morning. 
It worked. 
Had Strava & Map My Run both running. 
Interestingly, and as I experienced with my first use of Strava on Sunday, they log different distances! 
I stopped the Strava app at 7k on 33:13. 
The Map My Run app only reached 7k at 34:49. 

So there’s quite a difference - 1:36. That’s quite stark for a short distance. 

Back when we could, I ran with a mate round Bristol. Stride for stride. I did mine through the Strava phone app, he did his on a Garmin watch and then synced to Strava. His distance was greater and his segments were quicker than mine - even though we ran the same distance in the same time.

I think that tells me that all of them are *wrong*. Add in that I’ve done formal 10k’s which various apps have logged at 9.8k and 10.1k and that backs that theory up.

Strava itself I find the main issues are the “pickup” at the start (my first k is always slower than anything else) and where there are things overhead (Two Tunnels in Bath is great for random times!)

Summary - none of them are perfect but I think they’re all broadly in the same incorrectness range

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Back when we could, I ran with a mate round Bristol. Stride for stride. I did mine through the Strava phone app, he did his on a Garmin watch and then synced to Strava. His distance was greater and his segments were quicker than mine - even though we ran the same distance in the same time.

I think that tells me that all of them are *wrong*. Add in that I’ve done formal 10k’s which various apps have logged at 9.8k and 10.1k and that backs that theory up.

Strava itself I find the main issues are the “pickup” at the start (my first k is always slower than anything else) and where there are things overhead (Two Tunnels in Bath is great for random times!)

Summary - none of them are perfect but I think they’re all broadly in the same incorrectness range

Yeah, I don’t think any of them will be 100% accurate. 
I’ve been using Map My Run for years now and I did a regular 5k to the top of the hill and back. Did this for about 3 years and then one day it clocked it as 4.82k instead. Thought it was a one-off and the GPS was playing up that day, but then that run started clocking 4.82 every time!! 
So I had to adjust the run and extend it to 5k again. Judging by Strava so far, I think it’d clock that at 5, whereas MMR is 4.8. 
Weird really, as I’d assume they all tap into the same satellites. 

I’m gonna persevere with Strava, just to keep things going in the otib group, but I think I’m gonna stick to my old, known routes, so my 10k I’ve always done to Michaelwood, I’ll keep the same route, but Strava will likely log it as 10.25. 

Anyway - in slightly more interesting news, ha ha, my 7k this morning takes me to 104k for the month. Want to try to get over 150k this month so I’m well on course for this. 

Edited by Harry
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Silvio Dante said:

I find that my Garmin 935 will record a distance, say 2.00 miles even: to then get it to sync to Strava as 2.00 miles I have to run 2.03 on my Garmin. Never been able to fathom why.

Edited by One Team In Keynsham

2 hours ago, Harry said:

Mate, with the amount of running and cycling you’ve done over the last year you’ve probably gone past everyone’s mums house!! ?

Remember seeing that you'd cycled past my mums place in the Forest a while back @Rob k!

Released that I never got around to introuding myself on the thread here. As mentioned by @Harry, I live out in Norway now and have done so for the past 12 years.  

In regards to running, my first race was Cheltenham 10k back in 2001. Have done numerous 10ks, half marathons and marathons since, with a few triathlons thrown in as well.

My ongoing "project" is to run 26 marathons, over 26 years, in 26 different countries. Started in 2008, so I'm up to 12 now. This year I'm signed up to Poznan in October, but not holiding my breath on that one. Might have to double up next year.

Currently building back up after slipping a disc in my back, but fingers crossed things seem to be going in the right direction. 

Edited by terpin
  • Like 3

30 minutes ago, terpin said:

Remember seeing that you'd cycled past my mums place in the Forest a while back @Rob k!

Released that I never got around to introuding myself on the thread here. As mentioned by @Harry, I live out in Norway now and have done so for the past 12 years.  

In regards to running, my first race was Cheltenham 10k back in 2001. Have done numerous 10ks, half marathons and marathons since, with a few triathlons thrown in as well.

My ongoing "project" is to run 26 marathons, over 26 years, in 26 different countries. Started in 2008, so I'm up to 12 now. This year I'm signed up to Poznan in October, but not holiding my breath on that one. Might have to double up next year.

Currently building back up after slipping a disc in my back, but fingers crossed things seem to be going in the right direction. 

That's amazing - what a cool concept. Go on list the 12...

1 minute ago, mozo said:

That's amazing - what a cool concept. Go on list the 12...

Cheers. I did the first three without any link between them, but then realised I was averaging one a year and it so happened that they had been in different countries. That was when the idea came about.

So far the 12 are:

2008 - Stockholm
2009 - London
2010 - New York
2011 - Berlin
2012 - Rome
2013 - Dublin
2014 - Oslo
2015 - Brussels
2016 - Valencia
2017 - Paris
2018 - Amsterdam
2019 - Vienna

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, terpin said:

Cheers. I did the first three without any link between them, but then realised I was averaging one a year and it so happened that they had been in different countries. That was when the idea came about.

So far the 12 are:

2008 - Stockholm
2009 - London
2010 - New York
2011 - Berlin
2012 - Rome
2013 - Dublin
2014 - Oslo
2015 - Brussels
2016 - Valencia
2017 - Paris
2018 - Amsterdam
2019 - Vienna

I've done 5 of those. Have heard good things about Stockholm. Istanbul is a surprisingly good race, if you were looking for possibles: has the quirk of running through 2 continents.

On 12/10/2019 at 19:01, Cowshed said:

Best 10k was 34 minutes, half marathon 1.24 I no longer take part in races due to age meaning I was far off my best and I had little motivation to run as slowly as I was, and was becoming . Still run several times a week but just to maintain a level fitness. 

That's a really good time 10k , I  might be wrong but I think that is county level.

I might join a running club after this covid 19 settles down and aim for a sub 36 minute 10k .

Apparently you could knock off a couple of minutes wearing those vapourfly/ Alphafly Nike trainers

11 minutes ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

I've done 5 of those. Have heard good things about Stockholm. Istanbul is a surprisingly good race, if you were looking for possibles: has the quirk of running through 2 continents.

Stockholm is definately one of the most picturesque you'll find, especially the miles out around Djurgården. The finish in the Olympic stadium was a nice touch as well. When I ran it the course was two identical laps which I found repetitive, but I understand that they've adjusted the course now so that there are only a few limited places where you run double.

Cheers for the Istanbul tip. Will look out for that one.

1 hour ago, terpin said:

I love cycling over that way mate - some cracking scenery. One of the hardest rides of the year is across the bridge called the ‘black rat’, its 112 miles, 18 of which are uphill!! However there are some fast downhills too, it took it out of me last year that’s for sure 

29 minutes ago, terpin said:

So far the 12 are:

2008 - Stockholm
2009 - London
2010 - New York
2011 - Berlin
2012 - Rome
2013 - Dublin
2014 - Oslo
2015 - Brussels
2016 - Valencia
2017 - Paris
2018 - Amsterdam
2019 - Vienna

Nice one! I ran Amsterdam in 2018 too. 3:33 PB. Nice and flat but I didn't enjoy the city part of the course.

What have you got on your list for the future?

2 minutes ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

That's a handy time, well done.

It was flat as a pancake and perfect running conditions to be fair. Should have got sub 3:30 but cracked at 23 miles. 3:29.59 is my marathon goal. I don't think my body wants to push much more than that!

8 minutes ago, Rob k said:

I love cycling over that way mate - some cracking scenery. One of the hardest rides of the year is across the bridge called the ‘black rat’, its 112 miles, 18 of which are uphill!! However there are some fast downhills too, it took it out of me last year that’s for sure 

Yeah, it is a mint area for cycling. Always try and get a ride in when I'm back. Just had a look at the Black Rat profile. Bit chewy that one!

1 minute ago, mozo said:

Nice one! I ran Amsterdam in 2018 too. 3:33 PB. Nice and flat but I didn't enjoy the city part of the course.

What have you got on your list for the future?

Good stuff. I PB'd that day as well with 3:27 so we would have been pretty close to each other!

In regards to the future, I tend to take it year by year. Would love to do Pyongyang Marathon where you get chaparoned in and out of the country. Would be a hell of an experience but not sure I'd get the OK from the Mrs for that one...

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, terpin said:

Yeah, it is a mint area for cycling. Always try and get a ride in when I'm back. Just had a look at the Black Rat profile. Bit chewy that one!

Good stuff. I PB'd that day as well with 3:27 so we would have been pretty close to each other!

In regards to the future, I tend to take it year by year. Would love to do Pyongyang Marathon where you get chaparoned in and out of the country. Would be a hell of an experience but not sure I'd get the OK from the Mrs for that one...

So it was you always getting in my way!

Have you joined us on Strava?

2 minutes ago, terpin said:

Friend of mine (an American) did Pyongyang a few years go, he said it was all a bit surreal. And a nod to your sub 3h30. Great stuff. 3h55 was the fastest I ever got.

5 minutes ago, mozo said:

It was flat as a pancake and perfect running conditions to be fair. Should have got sub 3:30 but cracked at 23 miles. 3:29.59 is my marathon goal. I don't think my body wants to push much more than that!

You still have to do the time, no need to make it sound any easier than it was.

4 minutes ago, terpin said:

It’s a tough ride that’s for sure

min regards to running  if i can get London done this year (fingers crossed) then Athens is on the cards for next year - there are a few other ones that take my fancy, they won’t be PB courses but Snowdonia is one i have my eye on 

Just now, Rob k said:

It’s a tough ride that’s for sure

min regards to running  if i can get London done this year (fingers crossed) then Athens is on the cards for next year - there are a few other ones that take my fancy, they won’t be PB courses but Snowdonia is one i have my eye on 

Jacko mentioned about doing Athens next year a while back. Let me know if any plans materialise for that one mate.

Snowdonia sounds interesting as well. Never knew they had a marathon up there.

8 minutes ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

Friend of mine (an American) did Pyongyang a few years go, he said it was all a bit surreal. And a nod to your sub 3h30. Great stuff. 3h55 was the fastest I ever got.

Thanks. Good work on breaking the 4 hour mark as well ?

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, terpin said:

Jacko mentioned about doing Athens next year a while back. Let me know if any plans materialise for that one mate.

Snowdonia sounds interesting as well. Never knew they had a marathon up there.

Twice Voted the best British marathon by all accounts - it’s all ballot spots as these things generally are. 

4 minutes ago, TomF said:

Just had a look at the route - its kinda as I imagined it would be but yikes what a run that would be.   I absolutely love it around Llanberis way. 

Just had a ganders, looks horrific: most of my training was at sea level, with minimal if any elevation, hills always destroyed me. Amongst my various marathon friends around the globe, the Inca trail marathon is considered the hardest, with a special mention to the Great Wall of China one too.