IGNORED

Coventry v Tranmere

Lanterne Rouge

8 hours ago, Sir Geoff said:

I saw the original Coventry Specials (before they shortened the name) supporting the Clash at the Locarno circa '77.

I saw them at the Locarno a couple years later, the concert ended with more people on the stage than in the audience!

A raucous night, good times ?

I saw them again recently at Glastonbury abbey, they still have it, even though the energy levels aren’t the same!,

I saw The Pogues at the NEC and for the encore they were joined on stage by Neville, Lynval, Rico and the horn section along with Kirsty MacColl who`d done a few duets with Shane earlier. They did possibly the most raucous version of A Message To You Rudy imaginable. If you`ve never heard it done with a fiddle, bodhran and tin whistle backing you haven`t lived!

9 hours ago, City Rocker said:

Coventry Automatics I think they were then? 

Subsequently to become The Specials AKA the Coventry Automatics. Then Special AKA. 

Bernie Rhodes knows, don't argue. 

Didn’t they become The Special AKA after they spilt then reformed in ‘82? And by total coincidence I’m currently wearing a Specials t-shirt - wot a band!

8 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Didn’t they become The Special AKA after they spilt then reformed in ‘82? And by total coincidence I’m currently wearing a Specials t-shirt - wot a band!

I think free nelson Mandela was sung by the specials aka don’t think terry hall did vocals 

1 hour ago, Red Right Hand said:

I saw The Pogues at the NEC and for the encore they were joined on stage by Neville, Lynval, Rico and the horn section along with Kirsty MacColl who`d done a few duets with Shane earlier. They did possibly the most raucous version of A Message To You Rudy imaginable. If you`ve never heard it done with a fiddle, bodhran and tin whistle backing you haven`t lived!

8 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

So when they put out the first single, Gangsters, they were still using the name Special AKA. I still have my copy on 7 inch vinyl. In fact see my avatar!

By the time the second single and the album were released they had transitioned to The Specials. Then after various Funboys left and the band eventually went their separate ways, Jerry Dammers did indeed resurrect the Special AKA moniker.

gangsters label.jpg

I saw the Specials as part of the Two Tone tour, I seem to remember the line up was decided by chart position that week. The previous week Madness had signed to Stiff records, so I missed out on them.

From memory it was Dexys Midnight Runners, then The Bodysnatchers, Selecter and then The Specials. I think Nev started rowing with some Skinheads at one point giving Nazi salutes, which considering the ethnic mix of all of those bands, was bizarre.

45 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I saw the Specials as part of the Two Tone tour, I seem to remember the line up was decided by chart position that week. The previous week Madness had signed to Stiff records, so I missed out on them.

From memory it was Dexys Midnight Runners, then The Bodysnatchers, Selecter and then The Specials. I think Nev started rowing with some Skinheads at one point giving Nazi salutes, which considering the ethnic mix of all of those bands, was bizarre.

Yeah I was at the Locarno gig on the 2Tone tour, late ’79, and you’re right Madness had left the tour at that point, replaced by Dexys.

I don’t remember the Bodysnatchers on that gig though, I thought they emerged a bit later. Definitely saw them supporting the Selecter, but I reckon that was probably the following year.  There was a huge ruck on the dancefloor at that show between mods and skins, which I was unlucky enough to be caught up right in the middle of! ?

29 minutes ago, City Rocker said:

Yeah I was at the Locarno gig on the 2Tone tour, late ’79, and you’re right Madness had left the tour at that point, replaced by Dexys.

I don’t remember the Bodysnatchers on that gig though, I thought they emerged a bit later. Definitely saw them supporting the Selecter, but I reckon that was probably the following year.  There was a huge ruck on the dancefloor at that show between mods and skins, which I was unlucky enough to be caught up right in the middle of! ?

I must admit that around that time I was probably averaging a couple of gigs a week, so some memories merge into one. Sometimes we would go to the Locarno, not really knowing who was going to be on, beyond the headline act maybe. It wasn't until you look back you realise that some of the supporting bands went on to have good careers in their own right.  This has happened to me a couple of times since too. I saw Cast supporting Elvis Costello before they had even released a record. I saw Belle and Sebastian in Bath and remembered thinking their support band were really good. When Belle and Sebastian came out, Stuart Murdoch said "What did you think of Franz Ferdinand? You're lucky we brought them along, we will be supporting them soon!" They were number one by Xmas. :) 

4 hours ago, City Rocker said:

So when they put out the first single, Gangsters, they were still using the name Special AKA. I still have my copy on 7 inch vinyl. In fact see my avatar!

By the time the second single and the album were released they had transitioned to The Specials. Then after various Funboys left and the band eventually went their separate ways, Jerry Dammers did indeed resurrect the Special AKA moniker.

gangsters label.jpg

Terry hall got to together with Dave Stewart to form Vegas early 90s I think 

On 13/10/2019 at 12:31, Sir Geoff said:

I saw the original Coventry Specials (before they shortened the name) supporting the Clash at the Locarno circa '77.

I was there as well. I think New York's Suicide were the 3rd support act with Alan Vega doing his Iggy Pop tribute act antagonising the crowd.

Archived