Jump to content

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Lanterne Rouge

Coventry v Tranmere

Recommended Posts

I seen a write up on the kit and they called him the nutty dancer 

his name is Walt jabsco 

i bought a polo shirt many years ago with Walt on it and when trying to buy another one the guy had stopped selling them du to copyright 

not really football related but they must have some sort of permission to use him 

another boring fact .....

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Spoonbed said:

Don’t think that anyone actually owns the trademark to Walt? 

http://2-tone.info/articles/label.html

"While the concept of Walt was simply a label design for the first 2 Tone single he went on to sell vast quantities of (often illegal) merchandise which the label received no royalties from"

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I saw the original Coventry Specials (before they shortened the name) supporting the Clash at the Locarno circa '77.

  • Like 5
  • Flames 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

I saw the original Coventry Specials (before they shortened the name) supporting the Clash at the Locarno circa '77.

Coventry Automatics I think they were then? 

Subsequently to become The Specials AKA the Coventry Automatics. Then Special AKA. 

Bernie Rhodes knows, don't argue. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

Cov really should be winning this. Liam`s looking good, buzzing around and has created two very good chances.

Seems to be sitting quite deep. O'Hare looks quite similar to him as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, City Rocker said:

Coventry Automatics I think they were then? 

Subsequently to become The Specials AKA the Coventry Automatics. Then Special AKA. 

Bernie Rhodes knows, don't argue. 

Wouldn't argue with Bernie Rhodes. Just wiki'd it and seems you are right. Don';t know why but I have always thought the were called the Coventry Specials. Anyway your Bernie Rhodes reference confirms for me that they were supporting the Clash, that day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, The Original OTIB said:

Seems to be sitting quite deep. O'Hare looks quite similar to him as well.

He does, it`s caught me out a couple of times! That ball to Hiwula early doors should have been finished better though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Red Right Hand said:

How are Coventry not winning this? They should be four up at least.

Cue a 1-0 Tranmere.

They need to “Stop their messin’ around..(aah ahh ahh)”...

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Banjo Island said:

@Ska Junkie i will be looking out for you next home game fully decked out in the coventry kit 😉😉😉😉

Not happening my close neighbour, I don't think a full kit would be a good look at my age. ;)

The shirt is very nice though, a celebration of 40 years of two tone.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Drew Peacock said:

Both teams managed by ex-City players (albeit Robins was on loan)

As an aside , I actually quite rate Robins as a coach.

 I knew we nearly brought him in at one stage , I think it was between him and Cotts or perhaps, McInnes . 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

I know. I think Terry Hall was on the pitch for the photos too but I wasn`t 100% sure if it was him or not.

Was he smiling?  If yes, it wasn’t him 🤣🤣🤣

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

I know. I think Terry Hall was on the pitch for the photos too but I wasn`t 100% sure if it was him or not.

Did he have Lenny the Lion with him?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Sir Geoff said:

I saw the original Coventry Specials (before they shortened the name) supporting the Clash at the Locarno circa '77.

I saw them at the Locarno a couple years later, the concert ended with more people on the stage than in the audience!

A raucous night, good times 😁

I saw them again recently at Glastonbury abbey, they still have it, even though the energy levels aren’t the same!,

Edited by Portland Bill

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I saw The Pogues at the NEC and for the encore they were joined on stage by Neville, Lynval, Rico and the horn section along with Kirsty MacColl who`d done a few duets with Shane earlier. They did possibly the most raucous version of A Message To You Rudy imaginable. If you`ve never heard it done with a fiddle, bodhran and tin whistle backing you haven`t lived!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, City Rocker said:

Coventry Automatics I think they were then? 

Subsequently to become The Specials AKA the Coventry Automatics. Then Special AKA. 

Bernie Rhodes knows, don't argue. 

Didn’t they become The Special AKA after they spilt then reformed in ‘82? And by total coincidence I’m currently wearing a Specials t-shirt - wot a band!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Saw them a few years back in Brum.  After a few songs stomping at the front, I realised I’m not as fit as I used to be.  They were superb though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Didn’t they become The Special AKA after they spilt then reformed in ‘82? And by total coincidence I’m currently wearing a Specials t-shirt - wot a band!

I think free nelson Mandela was sung by the specials aka don’t think terry hall did vocals 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Red Right Hand said:

I saw The Pogues at the NEC and for the encore they were joined on stage by Neville, Lynval, Rico and the horn section along with Kirsty MacColl who`d done a few duets with Shane earlier. They did possibly the most raucous version of A Message To You Rudy imaginable. If you`ve never heard it done with a fiddle, bodhran and tin whistle backing you haven`t lived!

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Didn’t they become The Special AKA after they spilt then reformed in ‘82? And by total coincidence I’m currently wearing a Specials t-shirt - wot a band!

So when they put out the first single, Gangsters, they were still using the name Special AKA. I still have my copy on 7 inch vinyl. In fact see my avatar!

By the time the second single and the album were released they had transitioned to The Specials. Then after various Funboys left and the band eventually went their separate ways, Jerry Dammers did indeed resurrect the Special AKA moniker.

gangsters label.jpg

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I saw the Specials as part of the Two Tone tour, I seem to remember the line up was decided by chart position that week. The previous week Madness had signed to Stiff records, so I missed out on them.

From memory it was Dexys Midnight Runners, then The Bodysnatchers, Selecter and then The Specials. I think Nev started rowing with some Skinheads at one point giving Nazi salutes, which considering the ethnic mix of all of those bands, was bizarre.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I saw the Specials as part of the Two Tone tour, I seem to remember the line up was decided by chart position that week. The previous week Madness had signed to Stiff records, so I missed out on them.

From memory it was Dexys Midnight Runners, then The Bodysnatchers, Selecter and then The Specials. I think Nev started rowing with some Skinheads at one point giving Nazi salutes, which considering the ethnic mix of all of those bands, was bizarre.

Yeah I was at the Locarno gig on the 2Tone tour, late ’79, and you’re right Madness had left the tour at that point, replaced by Dexys.

I don’t remember the Bodysnatchers on that gig though, I thought they emerged a bit later. Definitely saw them supporting the Selecter, but I reckon that was probably the following year.  There was a huge ruck on the dancefloor at that show between mods and skins, which I was unlucky enough to be caught up right in the middle of! 😵

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, City Rocker said:

Yeah I was at the Locarno gig on the 2Tone tour, late ’79, and you’re right Madness had left the tour at that point, replaced by Dexys.

I don’t remember the Bodysnatchers on that gig though, I thought they emerged a bit later. Definitely saw them supporting the Selecter, but I reckon that was probably the following year.  There was a huge ruck on the dancefloor at that show between mods and skins, which I was unlucky enough to be caught up right in the middle of! 😵

I must admit that around that time I was probably averaging a couple of gigs a week, so some memories merge into one. Sometimes we would go to the Locarno, not really knowing who was going to be on, beyond the headline act maybe. It wasn't until you look back you realise that some of the supporting bands went on to have good careers in their own right.  This has happened to me a couple of times since too. I saw Cast supporting Elvis Costello before they had even released a record. I saw Belle and Sebastian in Bath and remembered thinking their support band were really good. When Belle and Sebastian came out, Stuart Murdoch said "What did you think of Franz Ferdinand? You're lucky we brought them along, we will be supporting them soon!" They were number one by Xmas. :) 

Edited by Port Said Red
  • Flames 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, City Rocker said:

So when they put out the first single, Gangsters, they were still using the name Special AKA. I still have my copy on 7 inch vinyl. In fact see my avatar!

By the time the second single and the album were released they had transitioned to The Specials. Then after various Funboys left and the band eventually went their separate ways, Jerry Dammers did indeed resurrect the Special AKA moniker.

gangsters label.jpg

Terry hall got to together with Dave Stewart to form Vegas early 90s I think 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...