IGNORED

Jon Economou

City Rocker

One of several young players * handed their debut for the home game v Fulham.......the first game following the AG8 leaving. Went on to play 65 games but was then released 2 years later by Terry Cooper as he rebuilt the side with better players. He drifted into non league playing locally for Devizes Glos. Yeovil FGR Minehead & Weston.

* struggling to remember all the debutante v Fulham although I was at the game. Wayne Bray I remember plus Jon....Garry Smith maybe Steve Thompson Ricky Chandler Alan Nicholls Paul Stevens......I think only 4 made debuts plus the sub. Anyone remember?

21 minutes ago, CodeRed said:

One of several young players * handed their debut for the home game v Fulham.......the first game following the AG8 leaving. Went on to play 65 games but was then released 2 years later by Terry Cooper as he rebuilt the side with better players. He drifted into non league playing locally for Devizes Glos. Yeovil FGR Minehead & Weston.

* struggling to remember all the debutante v Fulham although I was at the game. Wayne Bray I remember plus Jon....Garry Smith maybe Steve Thompson Ricky Chandler Alan Nicholls Paul Stevens......I think only 4 made debuts plus the sub. Anyone remember?

Not Paul Stevens, he'd already made his debut by then, back in the first division days I believe.

Would agree on Bray and Chandler and I thought Rob Newman also made his debut that day, can't be 100% sure though...long time ago.

Rest In Peace Jon.

26 minutes ago, glynriley said:

Not Paul Stevens, he'd already made his debut by then, back in the first division days I believe.

Would agree on Bray and Chandler and I thought Rob Newman also made his debut that day, can't be 100% sure though...long time ago.

Rest In Peace Jon.

GT interviewed biff recently and he was talking about that game. Pretty sure he said it was his debut at 16. Remember Jon very well. Same age as me!

God bless mate! 

39 minutes ago, glynriley said:

Rest In Peace Jon.

Just checked some of old City history books ( who needs google!)  and Rob Newman was one of the debutants v Fulham. Alan Nicholls had already been handed his debut by Bob Houghton V Sheff W....(I read)...and Chandler similarly debuted v Watford in 1981. Wayne Bray did make his first appearance in that game at 17 yrs old.

1 hour ago, CodeRed said:

J Moller   P Stevens   A Hay   R Newman   G Williams   A Nicholls   R Musker   W Bray   R Chandler   M Harford   J Economou

Sub : M Smith

I met Jon a couple of years back, while we were both waiting for our cars to be serviced. Came over and had a coffee and chat. Talked about his career and showed me the newspaper cutting and picture of his time in hospital a year or so before. I think he was quite pleased I remembered seeing him play, even if he was only on the fringes of the first team. An hour passed very quickly in his company. 

Sad news, I remember his debut and would have seen pretty much all the home games he played in and a few away, thought he was a creative player but inconsistent.  At that time you would not have thought that of the debutants in the Fulham game, as well as all the other young players around at the time, that the only one to really push on up the football ladder was Rob Newman.  When Jon first got into the 1st team he seemed to have something about him, surprised to see that he left league football so early. RIP.

IIRC correctly he was of Greek heritage.

4 hours ago, CodeRed said:

Such sad news . I remember him going off injured away at Aldershot just after that Fulham game to a chorus of “ we’re proud of you “ ....... never forgotten that . RIP Jon ,  for specific reasons a City legend along with the other lads you mention above ! 

Whenever a former City player dies, I feel sad and also grateful to them for their efforts while with the club.

If they are a lot younger than me, I feel extra sad.

I clearly remember the Fulham game in which the team of kids gave everything and obtained an amazing result with the 0-0 draw.

RIP Jon and thanks for the memories and your part in the resurrection of our club. 

Archived